Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh god that hits the spot

Blizzard 2 and Scathe are the only things truly missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How the hell? Did they skip the level 40 BLM quest?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Like most players s/he was unresponsive to any attempts to talk at them so :shrug:

Anyways, Always Bail on The Vale

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 26, 2017

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Consider this: at level 70 Warrior gets to go to buzzsaw city for like 15 seconds

And it's surprisingly unfun because Fell Cleave just doesn't feel special or powerful anymore.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

HenryEx posted:

I dunno about buzzsaw city, i'm still reeling here that they changed my base damage combo all around, and Maim doesn't give me the damage boost anymore. Aaaaaaaa

Not to mention i need to completely reorder my three hotbars, and read up on these new class skills. I really shouldn't be doing this at 2 in the morning

Well when you’re up and rested, here’s the skinny. And yeah, everyone had to do it when they hit Stormblood.

Brutal Swing is now, basically, a role action. It’s an instant stun, but no damage component, a conscious choice so certain classes wouldn’t run up resistance on bosses getting their top damage in. All of us miss bloodbath, it’s the greatest tragedy of Stormblood, it’s true.

What changed for maim is that it and Storms eye got their bonuses swapped, which feeds into how your dps combo is now Path. Yes I know its potency is less than butchers, but it gives you more Wrath gauge. The butcher combo is for enmity, and while it still hits hard it’s lower gauge gain makes it a dps loss.

Which is the big difference, instead of wrath stacks, it’s a gauge. It’s not terribly different, but with Path you’ll be building a fell cleave in 2 combos instead of 2.5, and you can bank the fell cleave and still gain towards your next.
Which also really devalues raw intuition and vengeance cuz they don’t give wrath anymore...

Finally, steel cyclone has an HP steal component, so it’s pretty strong in aoe pulls where the massed mobs are a damage threat.

Hang in there, WAR is still quite strong and you get some serious damage toys as you get to 70.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

And it's surprisingly unfun because Fell Cleave just doesn't feel special or powerful anymore.

It really sucks that you basically never Fell Cleave outside Berserk.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
FF XIV Complete Edition is 50% off on the Square Enix store.

Should I buy this? I'm taking a break from WoW until the next expansion, I love Final Fantasy in general, and I played the FF 14 original ARR beta + hosed around with the current free trial thingy. Lomina Lomisa is kind of a fetch quest shitshow however it was still fun in an odd way. Does the game hold up?? Is there much of a goon raiding/dungeon running presence?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Go for it. Goon presence is great, questing gets better at higher levels, you'll probably feel at home in the endgame if you like wow, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Should I buy this? I'm taking a break from WoW until the next expansion, I love Final Fantasy in general, and I played the FF 14 original ARR beta + hosed around with the current free trial thingy. Lomina Lomisa is kind of a fetch quest shitshow however it was still fun in an odd way. Does the game hold up?? Is there much of a goon raiding/dungeon running presence?

I've played both games extensively. It's slower paced than WoW, especially for the first 15-20 hours, as it was meant to introduce a type of MMO (hotbar-based pseudo-action combat ala WoW) that the main audience (the Japanese playerbase) hadn't had a huge amount of experience with before. I'd put the writing and quest design for the original content (the 2.0 story, zones, and quests) at roughly Cataclysm level, to give you a basic idea. Probably the biggest breath of fresh air is that the game is jawdroppingly gorgeous and has sky-high production values for everything from battle animations to music to zone design, which stands in stark contrast to WoW's ancient-rear end engine and relatively subdued effects/music. The writing also begins to see dramatic improvements once you start getting into the 2.3+ content, though that admittedly comes a fair bit down the road.

Basically: I think it's a good game, especially for 50% off. When I first tried it, the early parts were highly reminiscent of WoW, but the presentation, writing, and strong class and encounter design all eventually won me over. I think it's well worth your money to give it a try, especially since you get a free month to see if it's your type of game or not.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Wirth1000 posted:

Yep! It's a proper Final Fantasy story (especially after level 35) with tons of echoes to the series, and a lot of the sidequests at/after 50 are rad (like Hildibrand). The production values are pretty good, the game got a DirectX 11 overhaul a couple years ago, and Soken's a music machine. Even if you don't do endgame raiding, there's still a lot of progression available at level cap, and it's reasonably easy to do the old-but-still-fun content (what with cross server groups and other incentives). Also, getting the complete collection means you can play the 5 expansion classes at/around level 50. Most classes are fun now as they were overhauled in the latest expansion, but the Stormblood classes are exceptionally well designed.

Combat in WoW is definitely snappier, and Legion overall has been a rather good expansion, but FFXIV has its own kind of charm. And it's just fundamentally solid and celebratory.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sombody explain Grand Cross Omega to me as if i'm 5 and have to do it as DPS

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Seriouspost: Jump off the edge and let the healer that doesn't get the water do the entire thing by themselves and then LB3.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

http://imgur.com/a/i36oL

quote:

• Everyone without lightning stacks under the boss with the healer, players with lightning go gently caress off somewhere
  • Dodge three beams, die to one of them (usually either the first or last) if you have beyond death
  • After the third beam stop moving and look away from shrieks
  • Stack up for Alpha beam
  • Almagest

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

So, guess what are added on Mogstation?

Damnit SE, now where is my wallet...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Welp, there's my christmas present to myself.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As soon as the damage goes out look at your buff bar and check for one of 2 things:

Do you have forked lightning? go to A

Do you have beyond death? go to B

A - using the healer stack point as a reference for north, move to the eastern half of the arena (Not to the edge, just about a shadow-flare's worth of distance from the person in the center). After forked lightning goes off, pop sprint and dodge lasers as normal. After lasers, be sure to look outwards to dodge the shriek and stand still until Acceleration Bomb ticks down, then position for Terminal Antilight and hope your healers can handle the incoming Almagest.

B - Stack with the healer underneath NeD; if you are dying to first (Which you probably should, but ask ahead of time how your group is doing it) then position to get knocked back into a death-laser. Remember, as you dodge lasers, that you have Off-Balance or whatever so give yourself enough room to be knocked back whenever you get hit by color-lasers. If you have shriek, be sure to move into the center so you don't make it awkward for everyone, otherwise look outwards. Move for Terminal Antilight, etc.

NOTE: if you have shriek, you will NOT have Acceleration bomb, so don't worry about standing still.

i may be forgetting something, poo poo is basically instinct for me at this point

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 26, 2017

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

my group does it pretty much the same way as skull.gif's link. we don't specifically assign spots for the forked lightning people, you have enough time to wing it. it boils down to a 4-step flowchart at its simplest.

for what it's worth I play a tank, so I may miss DPS-specific stuff. but a couple notes.
- when stacked for compressed water, note what the first flood of naught is. if it's inner or black/white, position yourself such that you get knocked to where you're supposed to be before it goes off. you need to give yourself time to react in case ned tries to gently caress you with back-to-back black/white antilights in awkward positions.
- we generally trigger beyond death on the 3rd antilight, just before shriek. if you have acceleration bomb and need to stop moving, make sure you're facing where you need to be facing after the knockback resolves before you actually get knocked back. eg. if you have to eat outer antilight, face 120 degrees away from ned, such that when you're knocked back you're already facing the outer edge of the arena and don't have to move.
- conversely, if you're a shrieker, get your rear end into the center, no need to stand still.
- shriek goes off about a second after acceleration bomb. wait for the ground-flashing-gray animation and for cursed shriek to miss.
- remember that terminal antilight/allagan field doesn't have an acceleration bomb going off in GC omega, unlike GC alpha at the start of the fight, so you don't have to be cautious about getting back in the group for AoE heals.

e: oh, and it's all downhill from there, so good luck

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 26, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Sarrisan posted:

As soon as the damage goes out look at your buff bar and check for one of 2 things:

Do you have forked lightning? go to A

Do you have beyond death? go to B

A - using the healer stack point as a reference for north, move to the eastern half of the arena (Not to the edge, just about a shadow-flare's worth of distance from the person in the center). After forked lightning goes off, pop sprint and dodge lasers as normal. After lasers, be sure to look outwards to dodge the shriek and stand still until Acceleration Bomb ticks down, then position for Terminal Antilight and hope your healers can handle the incoming Almagest.

B - Stack with the healer underneath NeD; if you are dying to first (Which you probably should, but ask ahead of time how your group is doing it) then position to get knocked back into a death-laser. Remember, as you dodge lasers, that you have Off-Balance or whatever so give yourself enough room to be knocked back whenever you get hit by color-lasers. If you have shriek, be sure to move into the center so you don't make it awkward for everyone, otherwise look outwards. Move for Terminal Antilight, etc.

NOTE: if you have shriek, you will NOT have Acceleration bomb, so don't worry about standing still.

i may be forgetting something, poo poo is basically instinct for me at this point

Having seen this stuff happening and then reading all the good advice makes it make more sense to me. Basically getting Long Falled'd into position makes sense now that i've kinda died to that a bunch.

vOv posted:

Seriouspost: Jump off the edge and let the healer that doesn't get the water do the entire thing by themselves and then LB3.

Or you know just this, like we did we when we cleared tonight

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Having seen this stuff happening and then reading all the good advice makes it make more sense to me. Basically getting Long Falled'd into position makes sense now that i've kinda died to that a bunch.

Or you know just this, like we did we when we cleared tonight

NED is a bitch the first few times; you just got persevere and bang your head against the wall until it clicks, and then you get to be one of the cool people who is too bored with omega but but too poo poo to have a chance at ultimate coil.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

So here's my negative take on it.

• Class design sucks hard before you're at capstone. Where WoW gives you build-defining skills and a real rotation relatively early, lots of classes in FF14 don't receive critical skills until the mid to late 50's. Black Mage's entire 'real' rotation is designed around casting Fire 4, and you don't even get that skill until L60. And every time you sync down levels for older content, you'll lose access to higher level skills, which can necessitate changing around your hotbars, etc.

• Early quest design is awful. Late quest design is also... kind of awful? The story itself is pretty good, especially by Final Fantasy standards, but the actual design of the quests is pretty lacking. There are tons and tons and tons of lovely "Talk to Person A, teleport somewhere, Talk to Person B, teleport back to Person A, talk to them, teleport to Person C, talk to them, teleport back to Person A..." style quests that will often culminate with poo poo like "... then go somewhere and kill two cultists."

While questing the main sequence storyline quests, you will spend more time running around talking to people than you will spend actually playing the game. Ever played a Mass Effect game? You know that part of the game where you finally hit the big hub and then spend 3 hours running around talking to everybody before you get to the next gameplay segment? That's basically what large chunks of the leveling experience feel like.

• The only 'hard' content in the game is savage/extreme raiding. Other than that you'll breeze through everything in the game if your group is even half-rear end competent. As such I really feel like there is a dearth of interesting content to do at the level cap if you don't have the time/schedule/desire to get a good regular raiding group.

In spite of all that, I do feel like it's worth 30 bucks if you like single player Final Fantasy games, especially the Heavensward storyline. I'm just not sure how much staying power it has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I got severely stressed out by Satasha of all things when I played the open beta. As a thaumaturge.

I had a panic attack playing Sastasha the first time I tried this game and had to lay down for the rest of the night.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I, in a calm and measured fashion, flawlessly cleared through my first Sastasha in a rugged manner befitting my manliness.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FortMan posted:

So, guess what are added on Mogstation?

Damnit SE, now where is my wallet...

How Blizzard of them.

I'm going to be so judgemental of anyone who spends £14 on a piss buncle

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Only spending money on cute outfits is acceptable. :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I had a panic attack playing Sastasha the first time I tried this game and had to lay down for the rest of the night.

My first ever Sastasha run went surprisingly well considering that everybody other than me (including the tank) was wearing caster gear.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
Spoilered because new people:

Nearing the end of Heavensward and rescued Y'sthola. Matoya's cave. The NPC design, the music, it's literally the only thing I wanted once I first heard Matoya's name, and it's exactly what I got. Holy crap game good throwback.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Khizan posted:

So here's my negative take on it.

• Class design sucks hard before you're at capstone. Where WoW gives you build-defining skills and a real rotation relatively early, lots of classes in FF14 don't receive critical skills until the mid to late 50's. Black Mage's entire 'real' rotation is designed around casting Fire 4, and you don't even get that skill until L60. And every time you sync down levels for older content, you'll lose access to higher level skills, which can necessitate changing around your hotbars, etc.

• Early quest design is awful. Late quest design is also... kind of awful? The story itself is pretty good, especially by Final Fantasy standards, but the actual design of the quests is pretty lacking. There are tons and tons and tons of lovely "Talk to Person A, teleport somewhere, Talk to Person B, teleport back to Person A, talk to them, teleport to Person C, talk to them, teleport back to Person A..." style quests that will often culminate with poo poo like "... then go somewhere and kill two cultists."

While questing the main sequence storyline quests, you will spend more time running around talking to people than you will spend actually playing the game. Ever played a Mass Effect game? You know that part of the game where you finally hit the big hub and then spend 3 hours running around talking to everybody before you get to the next gameplay segment? That's basically what large chunks of the leveling experience feel like.

• The only 'hard' content in the game is savage/extreme raiding. Other than that you'll breeze through everything in the game if your group is even half-rear end competent. As such I really feel like there is a dearth of interesting content to do at the level cap if you don't have the time/schedule/desire to get a good regular raiding group.

In spite of all that, I do feel like it's worth 30 bucks if you like single player Final Fantasy games, especially the Heavensward storyline. I'm just not sure how much staying power it has.

I will corroborate all of this.

At this point I feel like the game is really good but it takes so long to get the good part that it's a bit of a tough sell. You need to clear 60-80 hours of story before it really gets going and sometimes even 120 hours before your class comes together mechanically.

Edit: The obvious follow-up question would be what actually makes ff14 good and when I really get down to it, the number one thing that sets apart from other MMO's is presentation. The graphics, animation, music and sound effects are all brilliant and really come together at almost all times. 4 years ago when I started this game and I fought Titan for the first time and his music started playing I was blown away and I've been hooked ever since. 4 years later though, that may not be as impressive. It's hard for me to say as I've sat out pretty much every other MMO release since, as well as the 2 WoW expansions.

Plus everyone know that looking cool as hell is the real end game and no other game really comes close in terms of giving you cool poo poo to wear, in my opinion.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 26, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Today the three newbies I got into the game a few weeks ago were running around Coerthas for that segment of the MSQ before Garuda. One noticed someone shouting for help for a FATE called The Eyes Have It. I didn't think anything of it, so we went over to help. Once I heard the not regular FATE music I knew we were in for some poo poo. After one failed attempt and the summoning of the goon squad, we managed to knock him down though. It was great fun.

Seriously, I cannot stress this enough to people who may be interested in getting the game. Just try it. If you're into MMOs and Final Fantasy in general, there's a really high chance you'll like it. The most annoying thing I ever see in conversation about this game is exaggerating how much of an unbearable slog the game is. There's just no way the game requires 60 loving hours to get good. If it did, nobody would play it. Nobody would've even given it a chance after 1.0. ARR would've flopped and everyone would have laughed at Square. A Realm Reborn is a good game that gets better as it goes on with additional expansions that improve on a lot of the missteps in the base game. That's a good and positive thing.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SonicRulez posted:

The most annoying thing I ever see in conversation about this game is exaggerating how much of an unbearable slog the game is.

Especially when being specifically compared to WoW, whose leveling experience is in an especially dire place, desperately in need of an overhaul. I've been subscribed to both since ARR was released and FFXIV has taken the vast majority of my MMO time over the last year or two. I've just come to like it better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The early game stuff is pretty darn basic but that is not necessarily a bad thing if you're pulling in a new player.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rhix posted:

Especially when being specifically compared to WoW, whose leveling experience is in an especially dire place, desperately in need of an overhaul. I've been subscribed to both since ARR was released and FFXIV has taken the vast majority of my MMO time over the last year or two. I've just come to like it better.

I will take WoW's quests and areas over spending 50+ levels doing quests that go something like "Teleport to Horizon, run to waking sands, enter the hideout, enter the office, talk to Minifilia, teleport to PlaceA, talk to Person1, teleport to Horizon, run to waking sands, enter the hideout, enter the office, talk to Minifilia, teleport to PlaceB, talk to Person2..." and then end with "...teleport to PlaceJ and then go kill 3 cultists in an L10 area. Then go report to Waking Sands!"

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SonicRulez posted:

Today the three newbies I got into the game a few weeks ago were running around Coerthas for that segment of the MSQ before Garuda. One noticed someone shouting for help for a FATE called The Eyes Have It. I didn't think anything of it, so we went over to help. Once I heard the not regular FATE music I knew we were in for some poo poo. After one failed attempt and the summoning of the goon squad, we managed to knock him down though. It was great fun.

Seriously, I cannot stress this enough to people who may be interested in getting the game. Just try it. If you're into MMOs and Final Fantasy in general, there's a really high chance you'll like it. The most annoying thing I ever see in conversation about this game is exaggerating how much of an unbearable slog the game is. There's just no way the game requires 60 loving hours to get good. If it did, nobody would play it. Nobody would've even given it a chance after 1.0. ARR would've flopped and everyone would have laughed at Square. A Realm Reborn is a good game that gets better as it goes on with additional expansions that improve on a lot of the missteps in the base game. That's a good and positive thing.

Goons over-emphasizing the negative parts of something? I never.

FF XIV is a real good game, and honestly, most classes/jobs work fine even starting from level 1. Machinist and Ninja not so much, but you can't start as either of those so they don't count. If you're just starting out, there's going to be an absolutely massive amount of content to go through between the MSQ, job leveling/quests, and old raids/dungeons. The roulette and WT systems do a decent enough job of keeping older content alive, too. Even the narrative and characters and such are pretty compelling, helped along by a really good translation. I will say that some jobs can drag a bit during leveling, with long gaps in between skill unlocks, and the whole plot can grind to a halt in some spots; the patch content between the end of ARR and the start of Heavensward is notorious for this.

Also, quick question: I've been leveling up some of my secondary jobs, and BRD's the one I've been doing the most work on, it's currently at level 42. I'm assuming that you basically want to get Straight Shot up, then cycle between your songs as they come up? Also, in bigger pulls, how many DoTs should I throw out before switching to Quick Nock spam?

top-tier minion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about FFXIV is seeing the honeymoon period fade and people start agreeing that most the game actually is a slog and that all that negative stuff is right.

Yet people still keep playing despite it, which is the real vouch for quality the game has.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rhix posted:

Especially when being specifically compared to WoW, whose leveling experience is in an especially dire place, desperately in need of an overhaul.

They are coming up with a new scaling system soon (to keep people from out leveling zones and offer some choice between expansions) but overall I love leveling in cataclysm-revamped zones and don't see what else they could change.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Specifically, it's something like

1-10: Racial Starting Zones
10-60, generally speaking: Many Azeroth zones (There are things like ones that start at 25 and go to 60 though, STV starts at 30)
40-60: Endgame Azeroth zones like the Plaguelands, Burning Steppes.
60-80: Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King (Might start at 58)
80-90: Cataclysm, Mists
90-110: Unchanged.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
mmo leveling is...bad

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
*is run over by horde of people carrying BUT GUILD WARS ONE signs*

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Huh, kabuto with a puppy on top. And a mogstation sale. Good.

And carbuncle attire and mount at mogstation!
:toot:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 26, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
jfc the leveling from 50-60 is god drat miserable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Comparing WoW and FFXIV always feels weird because despite being basically the same game at the surface level they're somehow different enough that it's really difficult to quantify which one is "better."