Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

You can still shower your butt and dong, just don't shower your fragile scalp and faces if you don't need to

*scienceman points to map of goon body*

The butt, armpit and dong area here, are critical stink areas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fartbox posted:

How is she a food nazi when she said it was okay for him to eat pizza, just that she didnt want any
You know, having reread that part of the post, I may have colored that in a bit. She may not be a food nazi. Also, I don't get why he'd throw the food out. Just eat it and then eat more food. Duh!!!!!! Then she has nothing to complain about.

She's a food nazi for specifically calling out subs and things like that. They're reasonable food to eat depending on their contents, especially if you do it only here or there. The last cut I did I started eating cookies almost every day during the final month (and still lost 7lbs that month).

Scathach posted:

Yeah they both suck. That said if she's really sick she might also be making poo poo up about what he's saying.
She might be a bit underweight. It's hard to tell. Her ex-boyfriend is definitely a big baby though and wasn't telling people she had an eating disorder.

Fartbox posted:

I shower everyday. I am more surprised when people don't. It's like this automatic thing. Wake up, waste 0-60 minutes, brush teeth+shave, shower because my hair will be so drat messy if I don't at least get it wet. Also, the morning routine makes you less of a zombie and more ready to do productive things.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 30, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

I [24F] told my husband [32M] that I hate him. How do I fix this ?

living the dream :qq:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Khorne posted:

You know, having reread that part of the post, I may have colored that in a bit. She may not be a food nazi. Also, I don't get why he'd throw the food out. Just eat it and then eat more food. Duh!!!!!! Then she has nothing to complain about.

She's a food nazi for specifically calling out subs and things like that. They're reasonable food to eat depending on their contents, especially if you do it only here or there. The last cut I did I started eating cookies almost every day during the final month (and still lost 7lbs that month).
She might be a bit underweight. It's hard to tell.

She said she's 115 now, if she lost ten more pounds from "stress." That's like 16.5 BMI.

I'll settle for calling them both nuts.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Fartbox posted:

Girl, you are 21 years old and fit. Dump that 27 year old couch potato who is badmouthing you to everyone and get yourself some manhunk meat

i'd ratchet it up to skipping town entirely

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

La Brea Carpet posted:

Say this to him repeatedly and if he doesn't change leave.

She should use one of those If-Then charts they use in special education classrooms.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Me [24 /F] with my husband [35M], married 5 yrs. I feel like a slave.Relationships
1,227 points 337 comments submitted 1 year ago by Thrownaway889 to r/relationships

quote:

My husband and I have been married for 5 years. Ever since we got married, I've felt like things were off.

We've never had sex. He refused to try intercourse and just wanted to do mutual masturbation or oral. But, he never wanted to give me oral, stating that I smell bad, but wanted me to give him oral. I've since grown so uncomfortable with the situation that we haven't had sexual contact in about a year, other than him grabbing at my boobs from time to time while literally whining about not getting sex. Maybe I'm a prude, but I don't feel sexually comfortable with him.

Three months after we got married, my husband lost his job. And he refused to look for one. At the time, I was working an entry level retail job and we had to go on food stamps to get by. Thankfully over time ive climbed the corporate ladder and now make decent money. I work hard though, about 60 hours per week and I go to school full time.
My husband agreed to do the bulk of the housework. But typically only washes dishes and does laundry. When I ask him to please vacuum or do something else, he'll complain that I don't appreciate his efforts. As soon as I get home from a long work day, he expects me to make dinner. I'm also responsible for putting gas in the car, putting away laundry, raking leaves, mowing the grass, shoveling snow, taking out the trash, grocery shopping, errands, cooking, cleaning the bathroom, dusting, and vacuuming. He refuses to do any activity that requires putting on pants, saying that since I work outside of the home and am already dressed, I should do those things.

I've tried to tell him that I feel unsupported and that the work load is not equal. I'm very non confrontational, so I speak timidly. And he gets angry and says things like all I do is complain, or that he waits on me hand and foot and his life is all about what I want.

Most days, he spends the entire day in his chair playing video games. Whenever I tell him how I feel about it, he gets mad or he cries and says he should just kill himself. He also frequently says that im the only good thing in his life and he'd kill himself if I ever left. I get worried about what would happen to him if I did leave. He has no income, and he's clearly unstable. He refuses to go to therapy or see a doctor.

Sometimes I feel like leaving. I feel like he holds me back so much, and makes life harder on me. I feel like a slave or a prisoner. But then I wonder if I'm just being an overdramatic baby. My therapist alluded to this being emotional abuse, but that seems extreme.

tl;dr: Husband treats me like a slave, threatens to kill himself all the time. I'm unhappy but feel trapped. Should I just get over it, or should I get out,?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
how even

edit: I should probably add capitalization and punctuation. How even!?

dudeness fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 30, 2017

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

Me [24 /F] with my husband [35M], married 5 yrs. I feel like a slave.Relationships
1,227 points 337 comments submitted 1 year ago by Thrownaway889 to r/relationships

Get him really drunk and inject him with 100 units of insulin then go to work. By the time she gets home from her shift it will look like he had a stroke and died.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagine if you could experience her ability to rationalize things for even a moment. Youd be out in the woods naked and greased up shouting crude insults at bears because calling this an unfathomably stupid idea sounds pretty extreme.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My [26F] boyfriend [30M] just found out the reason behind his snoring and I am terrifiedRelationships
545 points 304 comments submitted 1 year ago by KindOfScaredRiteNow to r/relationships
I posted several months ago on here under a throwaway account. I complained about my boyfriend's snoring, who doesn't seem to care that he snores so loud. Sometimes he is so silent that it concerns me, as immediately after he is quiet he lets out a very loud snore, sometimes loud enough that it even wakes himself up. This loud snore does not sound like gasping for air by any means. We have been to the doctor twice about this. My boyfriend does not have a stuffy nose or allergies. We have tried fluonase nasal spray, Allegra allergy pills, and Breathe Right strips. These, along with him sleeping in different positions, has done absolutely nothing as he has no problems with breathing or snoring while awake. You guys have convinced me to get him to a sleep study and I did just that. Well, the doctor called back after he spent the night sleeping with some type of machine that he has severe sleep apnea. He will be spending a nighta t the hospital sometime soon for another sleep study and to see what the best option will be.

I am terrified right now for him. At the same time, he is frustrated with me because I "made him" do this (the sleep study). If I could have just lived/tolerated his snoring, this wouldn't have happened and he wouldn't have found out he had sleep apnea. At the same time, I feel that he should be grateful I pushed him to see a doctor about this, because it was discovered he has a serious health problem. He doesn't see it that way. He just sees it as his sleep will now be horrible compared to how it was before, as he has been able to sleep just fine.

I feel that he is kind of being an rear end in a top hat with that attitude. At the same time, is sleep apnea really that big of a deal? I don't know much about it. I had no idea that those times he had been going silent meant that he wasn't breathing during those times! He has no problems breathing while awake!

I am asking for advice on how to deal with this situation.

tl;dr: Boyfriend is mad/upset/frustrated with me for me forcing him to see a doctor about his snoring, find out he has severe sleep apnea (doctor kept emphasizing how severe it is), and boyfriend hates that he will be having to sleep with a machine hooked up to him because of me. How can I resolve this issue with him? I am unaware how severe or dangerous sleep apnea is.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

loud sleeping problems

When he gets used to the sleep machine his attitude will improve because he will be sleeping better.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My [23F] boyfriend [26M] thinks I'm embarrassed of him, and he's kind of right.Relationships
567 points 267 comments submitted 1 year ago by waallet to r/relationships
My boyfriend of ten months is upset that I won't introduce him to my friends. There are a couple reasons for this.

First, I don't have a defined "friend group". Most of my friends live in different states or countries. The closest ones are an hour away, and they're very busy - med school, weekend shifts, etc. My point is that seeing my friends is precious one-on-one time. The only group events I attend are my ex's friends' reunions. They invite me, but they're not my friends. So, in general, my SOs don't meet my friends.

Because meeting them is super important to my boyfriend, I've realized I am kind of embarrassed by him. I thought he was cute and fun when I met him, but over the last 10 months he got comfortable and gained ~50 pounds. It's not a medical condition, it's a bad diet of no exercise and constant fast food. He gets too tired to even have missionary sex. He went shopping recently for a rave, and now wears his rave clothes constantly because they're the only things that actually fit him. These are things like black shorts with neon stripes. A friend of his laughed when she saw him and snap chatted him "looking like a gangster". He also picked up smoking behind my back, and grew from a social smoker to several a day. He smells and I hate it.

Overall, if I met him now I would never consider dating him. But I'm in love with him, I just don't want to introduce him until he's back to his early-relationship self. Am I being awful? On his side, he has a very defined friend group that all live in the same city and throw group events constantly. It's been easy for him to include me, and we hang out with them often.

tl;dr: I haven't introduced my boyfriend to my friends, partly because I rarely see them and partly because he's become really unattractive.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sleep apnea can literally kill you.

He's angry at his girlfriend for keeping him alive.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

TIL that Canadians are disgusting

Interesting.

quote:

I (28m) found my girlfriend (29f) of 3 years stashes her bloody tampons in a bathroom drawer. What the gently caress?

I ran out of cotton balls and needed one and I looked in her drawers in the bathroom and found a bunch of used, bloody tampons. I was horrified and disgusted, I had no idea what was going on. It was so many, it looked like they'd been there for ages.

I was disgusted and when she got home I told her and asked her what the hell she was doing, saving them like that. She cringed and said "Oh sorry, I didn't know you'd see them. Don't worry, I'll throw them out."

What the gently caress? Like... what the gently caress? Is it normal for women to just shove bloody tampons in the drawer? Is there a reason for this that I don't know? She doesn't have a whole lot else in there other than tampons, and she cleaned it out after I confronted her. But I still don't understand.

I asked her why she didn't just wrap them up, and she was like "Well that wastes so much toilet paper, I always just waited until they dried out and threw them in the dumpster with my other trash."

I don't know what to do. Or think. Is this not utterly loving disgusting? What do I even SAY to her?

tl;dr: GF saves her bloody tampons to throw out later. What. The. gently caress do I do?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can reconstitute them later if you're out of fresh uterine lining.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

dudeness posted:

Sleep apnea can literally kill you.

He's angry at his girlfriend for keeping him alive.

I mean, in today’s economy, I feel that’s fair.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011
:ohdear:

quote:

Me [18F] with my Sister [25F] took some disgusting pictures of me and I found them on her phone.

Throwaway. Some minor details were changed.

My relationship with my sister Abby was always rocky, but as we matured throughout the years it seemed to get a lot better. She used to bully me often but no longer does so. Her bullying usually targeted my weight. I have verbally forgiven her when we've discussed the past.

We take a family vacation to Italy every year and recently i've gained a little bit of weight (around 20 pounds) which was pointed out by my father during an irrational argument about my choice of college major. It really hit my self-esteem in the gut because I knew it was true, but everyone said that he was just being cruel for pointing it out because it had nothing to do with the argument. I gained the weight from stress and i'm currently working on getting it off through exercise/cutting out soda/eating a lot healthier. Unfortunately, I gained it so quickly that I have some stretch marks on my stomach. My sister was one of the people who comforted me when I cried about what my father said.

Cut to now and I was looking through my sister's phone for family photos. She always takes photos of everyone during vacations so I was excited to see them. She never has an issue with me looking through her photos and we do so with each other freely. I know her password, she knows mine, and it's never been a problem.

I found some really disgusting pictures of me. I have VERY large breasts, and the pictures are of me bra-less, laying back on the couch with my stomach seemingly stuck out in my underwear and my double chin visible. My tank-top is see-through and you can see everything. There are many of these photos at every angle. There are some close-ups of my thighs and cellulite. There are others of my stretch-marks. There are over 100 photos of up-close pictures of my body. I feel violated because these pictures were taken at home around the other women in my family. She clearly took them when I looked extremely fat and because she is so close with her new boyfriend and he was on the vacation too, i'm sure he's seen them. She seems to change when he's around and becomes more needy for attention, re-assurance about her body and she's constantly all over him.

It feels like a blast from the past because when we were teens, she sent pictures of the two of us where I looked disgusting and she looked really great to men on the internet in chat messages captioned "this is my sister and I". I think she did this to boost herself because I looked so terrible. I'm talking, grimacing face one-eyed fluke picture kind of terrible.

I don't know, I just feel really really violated and upset. I don't know why she would do this when she knows i'm so self-conscious about my body right now? To laugh at me? How do I even approach her to discuss this? I want them deleted. Am I being over-dramatic? I feel like I never should've forgiven her. I should mention that I currently live with her. It's made me feel horrible about myself for the past couple of days and I can't seem to shake it.

tl;dr: My sister took disgusting pictures of me during a vacation and I don't know what to do.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I want to do that whole "get in a relationship and let yourself go" thing except with my next employer, since they can't do poo poo about it. Like, I want to show up on the first day as a Chippendale's dancer and three months later have people saying poo poo like, "Man, isn't it creepy the way cumshitter wheezes when he's using bathroom?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

I think my [46 F] husband [55 M] is giving our 13-year-old daughter an eating disorder.Non-Romantic
870 points 314 comments submitted 2 years ago by insensitivehusband to r/relationships
My daughter Ashley is 13 years old. She is a smart, strong, beautiful girl. She has never been a waif; she’s always had an athletic build. She plays soccer and is on the swim team. I pack her lunches and we eat dinner together every night. I don’t strictly control that sort of thing, and I’m sure she has a few treats, but she seems to like eating healthy and eats normal portion sizes. She’s gained a little weight recently due to puberty (I was the same way), but she’s not, under any definition of the word, “fat”.

My husband David is a large man. I’d say that he must be 50 pounds overweight. He is a type 2 diabetic who is dependent on medication and eats a lot of sugary foods. It’s his life and as he has told me, it is not my place to control it. However, I think that his weight problems might be part of his bullying of Ash.

It started probably two months ago, when Ash first started looking a little “chubbier”. At dinner, he told her to “lay off the potatoes” and that no boy would ever like her looking like she does. I told him that it is extremely inappropriate and Ash looked very upset. She had tears in her eyes and she left the table without finishing dinner. I went to her room after dinner and told her that her father was probably upset after a long day at work. She still looked upset but said she understood.

During our family movie night, she got up to get some chips for us to share. She came out with a bowl and he laughed and said, “Look at fat Ashley with her chips! Why don’t you eat them off the ground?” I was shocked and I was about to say something, when she said back, “What, do you want me to become bulimic or something?” He laughed again and said, “Well, it would do you some good!” Ash started crying, putting the bowl down and running into her room. He started eating the chips. I tried to lay into him and defend Ash, telling him that what he said isn’t acceptable, but he just got up and went into his study, blasting some loud music.

The rest of it has been little comments from him. Like “Should you be eating that?” or “You can’t wear that, you look fat.” I try to tell him to stop every time and I tell Ash that she shouldn’t listen to him. I told her that her father is probably taking out some anger on her. But she still gets upset and her eyes still tear up.

Lately, she hasn’t been finishing her dinner. She eats about half of it and says that she is full. I send her lunches, and the bag comes back empty, but I have no idea if she’s really eating the food or just throwing it away at school. She used to eat small snacks like rice cakes with peanut butter or hummus and pita bread, especially on days she had soccer or swim practice. I recently threw away a tub of rotten hummus, and her rice cakes and pita bread have been untouched.

Yesterday, I went into her room to put away some clothes. I noticed a folder under her bed. It said “thinspirations” on the front. I was curious and I opened it up. It was full of printed out pictures of very thin women, with hearts and comments written on them. There was also a list of “pro ana” tips. I am very concerned and I think that my husband’s comments may have led to my daughter developing anorexia.

tl;dr: My husband has been making comments about my 13 year old daughter being fat. I think she might be developing an eating disorder. What do I do now?

Edited: I have just gotten back from picking up Ashley from swim practice and preparing dinner. I cannot respond to each comment individually, but I have read all of them and I appreciate your feedback very much. You've given me a real kick in the pants and made me realize I have been a bad mother. My own father was emotionally and physically abusive. Because of this, I learned to explain the horrible behavior of those around me. But your comments have truly made me see that there is no excuse for him. Similarly, there is no excuse for me.

I have told my husband to stop. I have yelled at him and pleaded with him and did everything in between. As that hasn't worked, I will be explaining the situation and asking him to attend therapy when he gets home from work. My husband is the primary breadwinner and Ashley's life will be even more difficult if I decide to divorce. Right now, that is the last resort, but I will do it if I must. I refuse to allow this abuse and hatred in my house any longer.

I do not know much about eating disorders and I will be reading up on them more tonight to learn what to say to my daughter and how to proceed. I will also be looking for a therapist for her. Thank you for your comments and your time.

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

cumshitter posted:

I want to do that whole "get in a relationship and let yourself go" thing except with my next employer, since they can't do poo poo about it. Like, I want to show up on the first day as a Chippendale's dancer and three months later have people saying poo poo like, "Man, isn't it creepy the way cumshitter wheezes when he's using bathroom?"

Are you American? Here they could fire you for that :(

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Pick posted:

I think my [46 F] husband [55 M] is giving our 13-year-old daughter an eating disorder.Non-Romantic

This one is just sad.

UPDATES:

Edit #2: I'd like to address the comments saying that I should leave my husband. Like I said above, I will do it if I have to, but that is my last resort. I do not have a college degree or active job history. If I leave my husband, I will have to move Ash away from her friends, her activities, her school, and her life, and possibly live in a dangerous area. In addition, my husband is a lawyer, and a ruthless one at that. If I attempt to leave him, I'm certain that he will use certain personal information to try to get full custody of my daughter. He has not always been a bad person (I wouldn't have married him otherwise), but he will do anything to get exactly what he wants. I'm certain a bitter custody battle would hurt Ash. I am going to do anything I can to get him to stop these comments and apologize to Ash. Please don't take my hesitation to divorce as unwillingness to protect my daughter. I am trying to do so the best that I know how.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I mean, in today’s economy, I feel that’s fair.

The Onion posted:

Study Finds Fewer Millennials Want To Live
WALTHAM, MA—Signaling a major shift in demographic preferences, a study published Wednesday by Brandeis University found that fewer millennials want to live. “In contrast to previous generations that regarded living as a core part of their identity, millennials as a whole seem indifferent or even highly resistant to it,” said lead author Ellen Towey, attributing the change in mentality among those born between 1980 and 1995 not to laziness or insufficient effort on their part, but rather a pervasive feeling that living is simply no longer within reach. “Despite seeing their parents and grandparents live for years, millennials are often so pessimistic about their own prospects for existence that many have lost interest in walking the earth altogether.” Towey went on to say that without adequate opportunities to live at present, some millennials are in the meantime exploring more viable alternatives.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My SO [35m] has completely LOST his poo poo since I [24F] got pregnant.
91 points 114 comments submitted 4 years ago by WhyHasHeChanged to r/relationships
Me: 24F

Him: 35M

Relationship: Together 3 years, living together and sort of married-without-the-paperwork for 2.

I don't know what the hell happened, Reddit. We were together for two and a half years before I got pregnant, and everything was wonderful. Now I'm due in less than 2 months, and everything is a wreck. He's a totally different person. He gets mad all the time, he's insecure and jealous, he's controlling, and, worst, he's become violent.

It started off kind of weird, but not quite insane. He didn't want me going anywhere without him because he was worried that I'd get in a car accident or have a miscarriage and not be able to get to the hospital. Okay, that's sweet, he's worried about me and the baby, right? Then he didn't want me talking to my friends because he thought that they didn't like him, and he didn't want them driving a wedge between us when we have a child on the way. Uhh... that's unnecessary, but at least he's trying to build a peaceful home for our child. Then he didn't want me talking to my own mother because he was convinced that she'd convince me to leave him and marry someone with more money. What?

A few months ago I broke down and told him that he was getting to be too controlling, and I thought I should take some time away so we could both breathe and get our heads back on straight. Maybe that was a bad idea, considering how scared he was that I would leave permanently, but I didn't know what else to do. He flipped his poo poo. He started screaming at me, throwing things, and crying. I panicked and told him that I would stay... he'd been acting weird, but I'd known him for years and I knew it wasn't normal behavior for him by a long shot. I couldn't just walk out when he was having a breakdown like that.

I'm just going to shorten this and say that we've had several big fights since then. I've tried several times to leave, and it turns out the same way every time. He goes temporarily batshit, I give in out of pity or fear, things go back to normal in an hour or two and it's like it never happened. He's also taken to breaking my things... these fights have cost me two tubes of toothpaste, a toothbrush, three pairs of earrings, two Xbox games and a controller, a motherfucking television, and most of my socks because he's decided that he likes burning them when he's mad at me. I kid you not. He burns my loving socks.

I'm not totally emotionally stable these days, either, admittedly. I've started crying over not being able to open a jar of peanut butter, tripping over his dog, etc. I've gotten livid pissed over coffee grounds on the floor, ice cream left out to melt, and whatever else happens to set me off. This insanity has just escalated, and I've said a lot of things I shouldn't have said... I even told him once that the baby wasn't his. I'm not proud of that... Part of me is wondering if maybe he's picking up on my instability, and that's causing him to act even worse.

I just don't know. This isn't him. I know, that's the typical line, but it's really really not. He was a gentleman... always so sweet to me, bending over backwards just to try to make me smile. He was never the type to get angry, either. Before the past 8 months, I think I heard him yell maybe three times. Now it's almost every day. I don't know what's causing this, how it can be fixed, or if I should even try.

TL;DR: My SO of three years has turned into a completely different, kind of scary person since I've become pregnant, and I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

I (33F) went to sleep a year ago with my wonderful new husband (40M). I woke up next to a stranger in his body. I can't be two people.Relationships
3,028 points 786 comments submitted 1 year ago by MarriedABaby to r/relationships
Reddit, please help me. I'm at my wits end.

This is going to read like "we see what we want to see" but I assure you that's not the case. My husband and I have been married a bit over a year, we were together for 4 before that. Not long distance, normal relarionship, moved in together at around the 2 year mark.

He was drat close to perfect. Really he was. Even after the honeymoon phase wore off, drat close to perfect.

Here's the guy I married:

Attentive, sensual and comfortable with his sexuality, brave, honorable, honest, communicated well, respectfully told me when he took issue with something I had done and accepted criticism gracefully when I was upset with him, then we worked out the issue together and it STAYED fixed. A great mix of social and alone time - he didn't want to go out to much or stay in too much which was great for me because I'm very introverted with a touch of social anxiety. Nothing too bad, I'm just one of those people who never wants to go out.... then has a blast when I get there. He had a great job and goals and we were planning a great future. He was supportive of my career development (I was a late starter, went to college late). He was proud of me and always walked around like a preening peacock with me in public. We were That Couple, guys.

His ONLY faults were that he sometimes did what his mother wanted, even when it was more than a little unreasonable, but we set some boundaries with her and that got better, and he could be a little scatterbrained/inconsiderate in the way of he wouldn't ASK me about plans, he would TELL me the day before. I fixed that one by saying he was welcome to go alone, but if I made other plans and he hadn't told me, I was sticking with my other plans.

Those are pretty minor things in the grand scheme of things.

All out friends told me I finally got it right, half of them would have happily dated him if we broke up. Not in a creepy way, just a "You're super lucky, he's awesome, I've always had a little crush on him" way.

And then we got married.

I have no ue who this man is anymore.

We nearly never have sex. He acts like he's asexual. Before, it was sexts and jumping me as soon as I walked in the door. Now its one position, with the lights off, once every 2 or 3 weeks. It's like he's self conscious and afraid of sex now. He stopped communicating. He hates everything about me. I'm Buddhist, he's agnostic, but he used to be interested in what I had to say about my beliefs. Very interested. I never tried to convert him, it's just a part of my life I value. He used to love intellectual and philosphical discussions about Buddhism, now he just tunes out or says "ok". That's his go to for anything. My needs, my thoughts, my feelings, my concerns, my likes and dislikes are all met with "ok".

We never go out anymore. I mean NEVER. I still sometimes go to events with friends, he isn't interested.

He quit his job without telling me because he "hated it" and took a job as a delivery driver for Amazon. This was like a $40k yr PAY CUT. There is no money for the training and class I need for my career. But yet he finds money for his collectibles and whatever he wants. If I ask, he says it's my problem. I need to fund my own advancement. Which would be right, to a point, except it would advance US. And he HAD been helping. He had agreed to continue to.

He does nothing around the house anymore. I was away for 4 days and came home to find stale food in the cat's dishes that had sat there since I left and they had no water. The younger is half Siamese and he was yowling anf going stir crazy because he hadn't been played with. He used to adore those cats and snuggle and play with them all the time. No laundry was done. There was a sink full of dishes.

The mommy issue is back. She says jump and he asks how high. Period. He spends entire days with her morning to night for days in a row. She has no health issues, this isn't a caregiver situation. When I've talked to him about it he says I don't "understand" what it's like to have family (I'm NC with my abusive mother, my father passed when I was 11, I have a brother who lives in another country). It feels personal. Like he rubs my nose in his family.

He's no longer a gentlemen. He no longer has my back and stands up for me. We have jerkwad neighbors who leave crap in our yard, are loud and obnoxious, and just generally assholes. One day I got in an argument with one of them because they were having a party and PARKING IN OUR DRIVEWAY and where my BF would have shown a united front, my HUSBAND told me to "stop being hormonal", looked at the neighbor and said "You know how women are" and HAD A BEER with him.

Reddit, I don't know this guy and I don't like him. Is this who he really is? I LIVED with him for 2 years and saw none of this. I wouldn't have married this rear end in a top hat. He makes me feel like poo poo about myself and like I'm less than. I feel like I have a bratty teenager and not a husband.

But yet I saw nearly none of this. Like I said, just 2 minor issues. He was amazing. And now that I'm married to him I don't know him. Can someone really fake a personality 24/7 for 2 years? So well that none of their true self bleeds through? I don't want to spend my life with someone who hates me and everything about me, who is either zoned in front of the computer or at moms, who acts like I'm dipped in poo poo when I try to touch him. I wouldn't have married that guy. I thought I married an adult partner.

tl;dr Husband did a total 180 after wedding. Why? What do I do?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never mind, this is the one you want. :siren:

quote:

My friend [30 M] is an aspiring writer and asked me [29 F] to read and edit his novel and give him feedback. It's the worst piece of writing I've ever read BAR NONE, and I don't know how to diplomatically handle the situationNon-Romantic
1,256 points 260 comments submitted 1 year ago by _Z_E_R_O to r/relationships
Hi r/relationships, the title pretty much says everything you need to know. This situation has been brewing for weeks and is starting to be a significant source of stress in my life. I want to be honest without losing a friendship.

I was contacted by my friend, who I've known since we were both kids, in an email asking me to read and edit his book. I minored in English in college and he wants to be a professional writer, so this seemed like a good deal for both of us. I agreed and he sent me a draft.

I was prepared for it to be OK or even somewhat bad because that's what a rough draft is, right? These are supposed to be unrefined and in need of revision. Plus, my friend is an amateur novel writer, so I knew it probably wasn't going to be professional quality. I figured there would be a few rough spots that I could clean up, and this would be a good way for me to encourage him in his writing career. But that's not what happened.

I was subjected to 240 pages of the most godawful train wreck I've ever read. In all of my years of English studies, ranging from third-grade to college level, reading both professional and student-submitted work, I've never ready ANYTHING this bad. I mean it was truly, truly awful.

There were spelling and grammar errors on every single page. Words or even entire sentences were missing or had been copied and pasted into the wrong place during what I can only assume was his attempt at editing, which made it very hard to decipher what was happening in the text. He used a very limited elementary-level vocabulary set and sentence structure, and I ran a word count and found that some words were repeated hundreds of times throughout. The plot was abysmal, and followed a convoluted illogical path filled with dead ends and littered with irrelevant characters and details. His descriptions of nearly every subject he tried to write about, including details about farming, history, artwork, medical topics, and geography, were so factually wrong it seemed like it was deliberately written to test the reader's knowledge. There was no attempt at different literary voices and every single character was petulant, irrational, and generally behaved like a child.

It was so bad that I couldn't even read it all the way through in one go; I found myself actually getting upset and having to quit. I showed excerpts to a friend of mine who is an English teacher to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought his writing was bad, and all she said after reading a few paragraphs was "WOW." Her expression said the rest, and she vehemently agreed that it was atrocious.

Every single trope that exists in writing or TV was present in this story. The valiant hero who rescues the princess (this is the plot of his book). Fights where the bad guys die while the good guys are never injured. Characters who fall off of a cliff and walk away miraculously unscathed (which happened three times). It was so bad I hoped at first it was a joke, and that he was trolling and would send the real novel later. But he didn't, and my friend isn't much of a joker. Sadly, I believe this is his serious attempt at a novel.

Writing is all he's ever expressed an interest in doing, and he writes every single minute that he's not working at his part-time minimum wage job. This is his dream. He has a two-year degree from a community college and studied composition there, and now I'm wondering how in the world he passed the classes and completed his degree. His writing is not even at a high-school competency level. He has no other career or personal aspirations and has been fired from at least one job. He lives with his parents at age 30 and has very few close friends. Writing is his world, his only hope of a career, and a lifestyle for him. I thought that being reclusive and eccentric would be a plus and allow him to focus on his writing while giving it a unique spin, but the opposite seems to have happened. He displayed such poor knowledge of basic human interaction and how the world generally works that I'm mildly concerned that he might have some serious issues going on.

I feel like if I'm honest in my review of his book it would devastate him. I don't want to be the one to smash his dreams to pieces. However, I did promise him that I'd review and critique his book and offer at least some feedback, and I plan on keeping my promise. At first I thought maybe I would just edit the book as planned and try to keep the advice upbeat and positive, but as I read to the end that seemed more and more impossible. There are so many technical errors that if I point them all out to him it's overwhelming - I've flagged over 900 so far, and that was only in a casual first edit. Writing makes him happy and I don't want to discourage him from pursuing his interests, but trying to do it professionally is a terrible idea for him. He has a history of taking criticism very poorly, and I'm worried if I drop a truth bomb on him it will be badly received. I also know his family and see them semi-regularly which makes the situation even more awkward.

I'm worried though that he will self-publish this book, which is his intention, and that other publishers or Amazon reviewers will be far harsher to him than I would be. He'll hear the truth eventually, one way or another.

tl;dr: I was asked to edit my friend's book, which turned out to be eye-gougingly awful. Should I give him a lighthearted critique and let him continue living in his fantasy world writing bad novels since that makes him happy? Is it OK to allow nature to take its course and let the literary world eviscerate him as he releases his horrors on Amazon? Or should I burst his bubble and tell him the truth, that his book isn't even up to minimum competency standards? And if so, how do I do that in a way that preserves the friendship?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

He burned my socks so i told him the baby wasnt his

This, children, is how one grows up to be a statistic.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Never mind, this is the one you want. :siren:

i mean, on the other hand, Ready Player One has somehow become a major motion picture directed by Steven Spielberg, so maybe this guy's got a shot

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
It sucks that Amazon has given these people an easy publishing route, it used to be you had to find their 15,000 page book about child slavery after they died.

You really have to let it ferment to get that proper crazy.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Scathach posted:

"We got pregnant." No, you are pregnant. Your husband is a whiny fartbox with all the decency of a toddler. Have fun raising two children.

Also re: the post above me. I'm gonna say that's fake because 6'3 and 180lbs isn't anything but normal, and neither is 5'10 and 155. I'm 5'9 and 145-150 which is around a 22 BMI. Calling bullshit, either that or she's just really stupid (or has a huge eating disorder.)

E: also dude needs to let her go goddamn. Like, she's sick dude but you don't have to act like a crazy person. 100 messages a day yikes.

I'm 6 foot 3 and 190, generally considered a skinny dude but I'm getting a little thick in the middle with age. You're right though, it's way within the bounds of normal.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dudeness posted:

It sucks that Amazon has given these people an easy publishing route, it used to be you had to find their 15,000 page book about child slavery after they died.

I'm not dead rear end in a top hat

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fartbox posted:

You can still shower your butt and dong, just don't shower your fragile scalp and faces if you don't need to

*scienceman points to map of goon body*

George carlins four key areas for washing are armpits rear end in a top hat crotch and mouth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dudeness posted:

I don’t think that dude has was it takes to go Full Darger.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Inescapable Duck posted:

Or sometimes they'll say it right to your face, without the slightest bit of shame or self-awareness of how what they just said was horrifically offensive. (which is something when you have freaking autism and even you can tell it's hosed up. Then again, being compared to Forrest Gump hits a bit too close to home. That fucker was lucky as hell for a start.)

People's attitudes towards even mild disability can be goddamn amazing when the mask drops. Perhaps there's an advantage to having to learn everything the hard way.

lol when my mom thinks she has the right to touch me whenever she wants with or without my consent lol

it's my problem if I don't want to be touched

I got a "you people" from a loving state employee trying to get a reduced fare bus pass once, and some receptionist at the eye clinic gave me poo poo for not having been able to find my Medicare card before coming in. I asked if she could look it up with my social security number, knowing 100% full well that she could, and she did, but not without taking this snotty loving attitude with me about it.

And now I am a clinician myself (physical therapist assistant) and still nothing gets me madder than people who treat people with disabilities like they're less deserving of dignity and care than "normal" people. Especially people who work in healthcare or disability services in some capacity. You should loving know better. Find yourself another goddamn line of work, because for every client and patient who can't or won't advocate for themselves, there are people like me. You gently caress with my rights or my patients, and I will gently caress back.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
How do I [28M] talk to my girlfriend [29F] about a personal hygiene problem?

quote:

We've been together for around half a year. We started having sex a couple months ago. There's been a few times since then that I've noticed it seems like she doesn't wipe well enough after pooping.

I've found poop smears on the bed after sex a couple times. I've also seen them in her underwear. Once I lost my erection because we were about to have sex doggystyle an there was a long smear of poop up one side of her rear end to about the lower-back area. This sounds awful to say, but she also smells faintly of poop sometimes.

I'm also frankly confused. Because how can she not know this is happening? When she undresses to shower she has to see what her underwear looks like, at the very least?

Other than this her hygiene is fine. She brushes her teeth and her mouth and breath are fine. She wears deodorant. She showers regularly. It's just the wiping...but she's asked me to go down on her a couple times and I ordinarily would but NOT when I know what's a few inches from my face. Now I feel like she's soon start wondering why I won't and I'll look selfish.

Has anyone ever had this problem before with a partner? How did you deal with it?

To be completely honest, it really turns me off when I think about it. I have to distract myself during sex to not think about it. Even just getting the smell makes me lose my erection so not thinking can only go so far you know.

Is it okay to say something like "Look I like you a lot and want to be with you and find you very attractive, but you need to wipe your rear end better after using the bathroom."?

tl;dr, my girlfriend and I have a good relationship but for her poor wiping habits after pooping. It's starting to effect our sex life. She seems completely unaware of it, somehow. Any good tips for bringing it up without making her resent me?

She has to know. You can't walk around with poo poo caked in your rear end and it not itch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lol when my mom thinks she has the right to touch me whenever she wants with or without my consent lol

it's my problem if I don't want to be touched

I got a "you people" from a loving state employee trying to get a reduced fare bus pass once, and some receptionist at the eye clinic gave me poo poo for not having been able to find my Medicare card before coming in. I asked if she could look it up with my social security number, knowing 100% full well that she could, and she did, but not without taking this snotty loving attitude with me about it.

And now I am a clinician myself (physical therapist assistant) and still nothing gets me madder than people who treat people with disabilities like they're less deserving of dignity and care than "normal" people. Especially people who work in healthcare or disability services in some capacity. You should loving know better. Find yourself another goddamn line of work, because for every client and patient who can't or won't advocate for themselves, there are people like me. You gently caress with my rights or my patients, and I will gently caress back.

Just wait till you get old it will be 10x worse. People treat the elderly like absolute poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Panfilo posted:

Just wait till you get old it will be 10x worse. People treat the elderly like absolute poo poo.

They do but also family members can be loving delusional about their elderly loved ones' health problems like they expect them to be cured

there's no cure for being a hundred years old and demented

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

IAmNotYourRealDad posted:

:ohdear:
Me [18F] with my Sister [25F] took some disgusting pictures of me and I found them on her phone.

She always takes photos of everyone during vacations so I was excited to see them.

I found some really disgusting pictures of me. I have VERY large breasts, and the pictures are of me bra-less, laying back on the couch with my stomach seemingly stuck out in my underwear and my double chin visible. My tank-top is see-through and you can see everything. There are many of these photos at every angle. There are some close-ups of my thighs and cellulite. There are others of my stretch-marks. There are over 100 photos of up-close pictures of my body. I feel violated because these pictures were taken at home around the other women in my family.

She clearly took them when I looked extremely fat and because she is so close with her new boyfriend and he was on the vacation too, i'm sure he's seen them. She seems to change when he's around and becomes more needy for attention, re-assurance about her body and she's constantly all over him.

Ah, so your sister needs attention from her boyfriend, hence the trick photography witchcraft.

And yet, Is it . . . Is it possible that there might be some other reason that you look extremely fat in every single picture taken of you from every possible angle? Or why photos of you always seem to be close-ups by definition?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Phyzzle posted:

Ah, so your sister needs attention from her boyfriend, hence the trick photography witchcraft.

And yet, Is it . . . Is it possible that there might be some other reason that you look extremely fat in every single picture taken of you from every possible angle? Or why photos of you always seem to be close-ups by definition?

"sure somebody took a bunch of photos of you while you were sleeping, but on the other hand you're fat so you deserve it" ?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

InediblePenguin posted:

"sure somebody took a bunch of photos of you while you were sleeping, but on the other hand you're fat so you deserve it" ?????

Where does it say she was sleeping?

Edit: she specifically said she wasn't sleeping in the comments.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 30, 2017