Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I think that overstates savage healing or I guess at least in current content. I'm by no means a healer who does that and I can pretty reliably heal through most savage content as long as I don't bum up the mechanics. Maybe ultimate. That stuff I'm not even looking at.
Really just exdeath outside of release month. And that's cause white hole is a poo poo mechanic.

Outside of that it all just depends how much you care about pushing healer dps and the longer the patch goes, the less you even need it cause everyone else will be outputting much more anyway.

I think a lot of healers really don't know what tools to use for what situations though cause we'd see logs in Balance where people just like pushed Indom twice during an entire o3s. For something like that, talking to your cohealer and figuring out sound spell selection is a good move and it probably helps a lot. In that way it could probably be viewed as required cause getting some people to learn seems to be like pulling teeth so maybe two people is better than one.

gently caress white hole though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm doing the Manderville in front of the throne room in Ul'dah.

COME AND GET ME, ASSHOLES

Try talking with the random NPCs around ul'dah and mor dhona. Some of them have things to say about you and current events

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I intend to.

I just did that in between bits of Hildibrand.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

It's only low pressure because everybody is too terrified of calling out bad DPS for fear they'll be accused of parse-shaming, and most DPS checks in this game are pretty lenient. Doing actually good DPS can get fairly complicated depending on the job and the fight.

BLM in particular relies heavily on slidecasting, Ley Lines timing, and knowing when to use Swift/Triplecast. Hopefully 4.2 will make it a little easier.

I'm curious what the ranking of 'hardest' DPS is, both in terms of 'hardest to play well' and 'hardest to fully maximize'. I think MCH is near the top for both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vOv posted:

BLM in particular relies heavily on slidecasting, Ley Lines timing, and knowing when to use Swift/Triplecast. Hopefully 4.2 will make it a little easier.

I'm curious what the ranking of 'hardest' DPS is, both in terms of 'hardest to play well' and 'hardest to fully maximize'. I think MCH is near the top for both.

I'd say MCH is probably the hardest mechanically, BLM is the hardest in terms of dealing with boss mechanics while doing so.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Which I still suspect is a big reason why MCH is the least-played DPS class (or even class in general?) despite being a potentially popular sort of theme.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Asimo posted:

Which I still suspect is a big reason why MCH is the least-played DPS class (or even class in general?) despite being a potentially popular sort of theme.

It has a good flavor and the animations for heated 1-2-3 are incredible, but it's so very painful to play and Wildfire isn't impressive enough for how hard it is to get right.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MCH is absolutely easier to play really well than BLM in the hardest content, but MCH is definitely the hardest job to hit baseline competence on.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So Im hoping to get some bird farming done over the next few weeks, is there any unsynced guides to any of the fights? Will i need full parties for most of them or can run with less people?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Ashtarath posted:

So Im hoping to get some bird farming done over the next few weeks, is there any unsynced guides to any of the fights? Will i need full parties for most of them or can run with less people?

What I would do is just read or watch a guide for the synced version so you can get mechanics explained thoroughly, and then watch a video of each one being cleared at 70 for a feeling of what mechanics you'll just never see, and what the pace is like now. Even these are kind of out of date now-- I don't think anybody is ever going to see Seph's trampoline thing at 70 and a decent party won't even need to be worried about being bounced around in phase 2.

Still, I like to recommend watching a full guide to people because going on with the assumption that mechanics are just irrelevent gets a lot of people killed-- I like to hop in on clear parties or learning parties from time to time and people are consistently surprised that southern cross or might/magic can still wipe an unprepared group.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm doing the Manderville in front of the throne room in Ul'dah.

COME AND GET ME, ASSHOLES

Gruckles posted:

Try talking with the random NPCs around ul'dah and mor dhona. Some of them have things to say about you and current events

If there's one NPC you want to talk to along those lines, it's the Bluecoat in More Donuts.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Archyduke posted:

What I would do is just read or watch a guide for the synced version so you can get mechanics explained thoroughly, and then watch a video of each one being cleared at 70 for a feeling of what mechanics you'll just never see, and what the pace is like now. Even these are kind of out of date now-- I don't think anybody is ever going to see Seph's trampoline thing at 70 and a decent party won't even need to be worried about being bounced around in phase 2.

Still, I like to recommend watching a full guide to people because going on with the assumption that mechanics are just irrelevent gets a lot of people killed-- I like to hop in on clear parties or learning parties from time to time and people are consistently surprised that southern cross or might/magic can still wipe an unprepared group.

Sephirot is probably the worst for it. Phase 1 you can skip most of (you just get a single puddles + double-jump), the adds are a loving joke, but phase 2 has tons of stuff that can ruin everyone's day like not spreading for Yesod or dying and not getting the tethers+colors right.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I think all of the Guildmasters have something to say about the events at the end of ARR, too.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

vOv posted:

Sephirot is probably the worst for it. Phase 1 you can skip most of (you just get a single puddles + double-jump), the adds are a loving joke, but phase 2 has tons of stuff that can ruin everyone's day like not spreading for Yesod or dying and not getting the tethers+colors right.

Yeah until we reach a point where you can do about 2 million damage in under 10 seconds your gonna have to know how to do Sephirot's color phase.
Nidhogg also needs you to do the claw phase right because he can't die until he leaves it and he doesn't get pushed out of it by damaging him.
Thordan will want you to kind of know the intermission and properly do the spear mechanic in p3.
Ravana is lol zerg.
Bismark is also lol zerg, except make sure to split the intermission adds.
Haven't done Sophia or Zurvan at 70 yet.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Axle_Stukov posted:

Yeah until we reach a point where you can do about 2 million damage in under 10 seconds your gonna have to know how to do Sephirot's color phase.
Nidhogg also needs you to do the claw phase right because he can't die until he leaves it and he doesn't get pushed out of it by damaging him.
Thordan will want you to kind of know the intermission and properly do the spear mechanic in p3.
Ravana is lol zerg.

I don't think Nidhogg is as bad because the only really involved or novel mechanic, the claws, don't really require quick reflexes. You can sort of mosey and even muddle around and still be ok. Whereas a bad Soph run goes from fine to done in like a second if people don't understand tethers.

Sophia is very very easy at 70. It's at worst a war of atrition and many many raises, so ime the direst outcome you get outside of very incompetent groups is a long slog of a run. I think Zurvan is just about as bad as Seph, maybe worse because there are more things that can go wrong and they come later in the fight. People still goof up southern cross, the second one moreso, perhaps understandably because the timing is not immediately intuitive if you've only read a guide, they don't familiarize themselves with his AoEs, and they underestimate how much of a problem running off from your partner is. People still die to seals, which is doubly frustrating because in a decentish group you might see them at 10%-ish of his health left. Wave cannon can still be a problem too if people underestimate the bleed.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally, the sprouts are through the 2.0 MSQ. I feel sorta bad. It's incredibly underwhelming at this point. You can basically sleep through Meridianum and Praetorium. I pointed them toward A Relic Reborn for the two trials and all of that is a slog too. I can tell they keep waiting for something actually challenging to hit them and it's just not coming. The game varies a lot in difficulty.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SonicRulez posted:

Finally, the sprouts are through the 2.0 MSQ. I feel sorta bad. It's incredibly underwhelming at this point. You can basically sleep through Meridianum and Praetorium. I pointed them toward A Relic Reborn for the two trials and all of that is a slog too. I can tell they keep waiting for something actually challenging to hit them and it's just not coming. The game varies a lot in difficulty.

How far off are they from Titan EX et al?

e: They're doing their trials synced, right?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Asimo posted:

MCH's a lot easier then it was in HW (I still use my HW MCH Opening Rotation as a humblebrag when people bitch about how hard their class is to play) but it's still probably the hardest class to get 'to grips' with and it's mechanically harder then at least any other non-melee job. The bigger reason it's not played is that BRD is just the better job in PvE right now- it does more damage, brings more utility, is easier to play, and much more stable as DPS. MCH is the only class in the game that is completely eclipsed by another class currently, and it's in the weird slot where literally the only reason you'd 'want' one is if you wanted a 'second' Bard but don't want the LB penalty.

There are some groups that are still clinging to the old HW top DPS setup (Ninja/Dragoon/Bard/Machinist) because double Refresh takes a lot of the struggle out of healer MP but frankly the raw damage of BLM or SMN is probably worth chopping out one of the Bard/MCH combo unless your healers are bad and once you do that there's little reason to run a DRG over a SAM or MNK.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

I still have a hilarious image in my head of a squad of Brass Blades who have to travel to the Goblet to apprehend the Chairman, Hero of Light and guildmaster of PBC. :D

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If there's one NPC you want to talk to along those lines, it's the Bluecoat in More Donuts.

Whatever happened to her, I wonder?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are there any particularly good craftables or other saleable items that can produce "the big bucks"? I want to provide for my folks but it seems complex and opaque, even if I did level up a couple of professions back in the day.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

quote:

[2:34 a.m.](Cloud'' Strife'') Hi

just loving lol at that name

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nessus posted:

Are there any particularly good craftables or other saleable items that can produce "the big bucks"? I want to provide for my folks but it seems complex and opaque, even if I did level up a couple of professions back in the day.

You have to look at the marketboard and work backwards from there. It changes a lot day to day and volume has slowed down a bunch since we're inbetween patches.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

MCH's a lot easier then it was in HW (I still use my HW MCH Opening Rotation as a humblebrag when people bitch about how hard their class is to play) but it's still probably the hardest class to get 'to grips' with and it's mechanically harder then at least any other non-melee job. The bigger reason it's not played is that BRD is just the better job in PvE right now- it does more damage, brings more utility, is easier to play, and much more stable as DPS. MCH is the only class in the game that is completely eclipsed by another class currently, and it's in the weird slot where literally the only reason you'd 'want' one is if you wanted a 'second' Bard but don't want the LB penalty.

There are some groups that are still clinging to the old HW top DPS setup (Ninja/Dragoon/Bard/Machinist) because double Refresh takes a lot of the struggle out of healer MP but frankly the raw damage of BLM or SMN is probably worth chopping out one of the Bard/MCH combo unless your healers are bad and once you do that there's little reason to run a DRG over a SAM or MNK.

SMN maybe but BLM has worse personal DPS than MCH in some fights before even factoring in Hypercharge. Likewise the difference between MNK and DRG personal DPS is small enough that I'm pretty sure even with just 1 ranged DRG is still beating MNK for Raid DPS.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phone posted:

You have to look at the marketboard and work backwards from there. It changes a lot day to day and volume has slowed down a bunch since we're inbetween patches.
Oh yeah I mean more what tree to bark up more than some specific one weird trick. Is it a case where the answer is "everything"? I ain't gonna have to carry the entire thing on my back at least. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Oh yeah I mean more what tree to bark up more than some specific one weird trick. Is it a case where the answer is "everything"? I ain't gonna have to carry the entire thing on my back at least. :v:

Crafters get inside knowledge on this. Are you using this material a lot in your recipes? Is it unavailable except by gathering? If so, its sale price will probably remain constantly high-ish. Mythril, Black Alumen, and Oak, Walnut, and Mahogany Logs are usually safe bets, but others exist.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Nessus posted:

A lot of the intermediate crafted mats are good volume sellers. Stuff like Zelkova Lumber, Molybdenum ingots tend to sell at a nice steady pace. It won't make you a millionaire instantly, but will net you a good chunk of gil. Although it depends on your server. You need to check the marketboard and see how things are selling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So after all this chat about how tricky MCH is, any early-game advice on how to MCH well?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

For the most basic tip, MCH's three primary weaponskills look like a combo and you might think you want to use them like one after Reload, but what you really wanna do is use ammo to get guaranteed procs. Rather than 1-2-3-1-2-3... a MCH's usage might look more like 1-2-1-3-2-3... but that changes a bit at the end depending on what procs you get after you run out of ammo.

In a nutshell, you don't want to waste ammo's effect of guaranteeing the next weaponskill in the "chain" will be empowered.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

So after all this chat about how tricky MCH is, any early-game advice on how to MCH well?

It's not tricky. There's no trick to any of it.

It's just that until you get to level 70, it is going to feel like crap. This was the case back at HW cap as well, it did *not* feel great until 60, either.

If I had my druthers, you'd have your most bare-bones cycle at level 18.

But you won't, you'll be missing Flamethrower until 70.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SKULL.GIF posted:

How far off are they from Titan EX et al?

e: They're doing their trials synced, right?

Not super far, but a fair distance. They set about unlocking all of the 50 dungeons you can get after beating Gaius. They got Ultima EX. I pointed them towards A Relic Reborn and unlocking the Crystal Tower. I imagine tonight I'll point them toward Bahamut and Hildy. There really is a lot of stuff they throw at you and it's hard to hype it up. I like several of the dungeons like Pharos Sirius, but the ilevel creep has definitely beaten some of them into the ground. There's just no way to make Amdapor Keep sound cool. I usually supplement every dungeon with lore stuff or "Hey this was a 1.0 dungeon" but even I can't spice up Praetorium. I mostly just assured them that it was a mistake Square never repeated.

I'm up in the air on stuff like Odin and Coil and EX Primals. On one hand, I can't imagine it'll be much fun to watch me and like 2 or 3 other 70s steamroll things. On the other hand, they have a long way to Stormblood and I don't wanna waste time being walled at doing T9 sync'd.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Ravana is lol zerg.

You can skip some of Sophia's mechanics with damage, but I don't recall too many big ones being missed aside from Quasar occasionally.

Zurvan can have Soar skipped, of course.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's not tricky. There's no trick to any of it.

It's just that until you get to level 70, it is going to feel like crap. This was the case back at HW cap as well, it did *not* feel great until 60, either.

If I had my druthers, you'd have your most bare-bones cycle at level 18.

But you won't, you'll be missing Flamethrower until 70.

Shove in Spread Shot at 15 and I think this would be a good rework.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

The one, really, really big thing that messes with Sophia these days actually isn't even being lv70: It's the fact basically everyone* has a low-cooldown anti-knockback skill in their role actions.

Surecast is low enough cd you can use it on every tilt, and both head knockbacks.

* Except tanks and ranged physical dps.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Two of the tanks have a gap closer on a short enough cooldown to cover every tilt. It's only PLD (Tempered Will has a ridiculously long cooldown) and the ranged DPS that are completely out of luck.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ibblebibble posted:

Shove in Spread Shot at 15 and I think this would be a good rework.

I personally think that Flamethrower is underused.

For as great an animation as it is, and the sheer

of it all, really, it should be used more often than once per Wildfire.

So I was thinking that adjusting the TP cost, damage, and cooldown (scale it to the same TP/sec as spamming Spread Shot, same DPS as Spread Shot, although I hadn't figure out what to do with the CD) so that you'd have a very fun AoE option from the get-go, on top of ingraining in that Flamethrower is used to put you over into Overheat.

I was thinking about bring Lead Shot back in at 15, because I can *really* do without Spread Shot at all. Grenado Shot was always a much better-feeling animation anyways.

edit: In any event, the spreadsheet that I was working on this just gets uglier from here on out, because where the hell do you put Wildfire in now, now that it's not MCH's main mechanic, and what to put at 70, now that your "capstone" is now at level 18?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 30, 2017

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

Two of the tanks have a gap closer on a short enough cooldown to cover every tilt. It's only PLD (Tempered Will has a ridiculously long cooldown) and the ranged DPS that are completely out of luck.

What I see parties do is just stack on the very edge every time and just not worry about the vuln debuff from getting hit by the daughter, which is pretty trivial to deal with now unless the tank has like, eight.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I was thinking about bring Lead Shot back in at 15, because I can *really* do without Spread Shot at all. Grenado Shot was always a much better-feeling animation anyways.

Ditto Quick Nock/Wide Volley.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ditto Quick Nock/Wide Volley.
Literally the only thing wrong with BRD now.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Literally the only thing wrong with BRD now.

The main thing wrong with BRD is I can't actually use it having taken all the attacks off my hotbars in favor of musical notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

super sweet best pal posted:

The main thing wrong with BRD is I can't actually use it having taken all the attacks off my hotbars in favor of musical notes.

:same: