Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Windows 98 posted:

I’m now on the episode with the transporter malfunction that’s turns Ro into a ghost. Picard walks through her, and she swipes her hand through a computer. Yet for some reason she can stand on the floor of the ship?

A wizard did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Windows 98 posted:

I’m now on the episode with the transporter malfunction that’s turns Ro into a ghost. Picard walks through her, and she swipes her hand through a computer. Yet for some reason she can stand on the floor of the ship?

Otherwise it would be a very short episode

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Idiot launched a Kickstarter for a Trek fan film
-Said idiot not only appears to have pocketed a lot of the funds for this for himself/his girlfriend, but he tried to sell coffee with Trek branding on it, which is an obvious no-no
-He apparently just stopped caring about, you know, copyright laws and IP, and attempted to sell his Kickstarted series to I think Amazon or Netflix when he of course did not have permission to do so
-He got sued by Paramount for stealing copyright, he tried to claim 'fair use' despite him attempting to profit directly off of the Star Trek IP
-Eventually there was some kind of settlement agreement where he was supposed to stop his use of Star Trek IP, but now it appears he has another Kickstarter for this show?
-The worst part is that he basically forced Paramount/CBS to institute more restrictive rules on fan films, which caused a lot of other people doing ST fan films to have to shut down their productions or massively scale back what they wanted to do, because Peters ruins everything
-We also found out from court documents, that in addition to trying to sell his work to a streaming service, he also was trying to tattle to Paramount about how other ST fan projects were doing stuff they shouldn't, while he was directly profiting from the company's property

I'm probably missing some things but that is the cliff notes version
Going by memory of the Trek thread, there's also
- Lying to Tony Todd; telling him he was working on an official Trek thing. And then of course he got mad and quit after learning it's not. But they still promoted the project with him part of it.
- It seemed like at one point Peters was hoping CBS/Paramount would settle by "purchasing" Axanar and official-izing it; and give effective creative control of Star Trek to him. The gently caress?
- Yet still managed to convince a bunch of toxic Trek fans that CBS was the bad guy here. (If you look at the official Trek and Discovery facebook pages, there's typically plenty of dumb pro-Axanar comments.)

I haven't followed it too closely, but this is supposed to have a lot of critical reporting of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

The gravity plating in the deck has an unintended but fortunate side effect of extending directionality and impermeability into some subspace domains. Furthermore,

Yeah, standing on the decks is due to gravity plating.

The air is magic, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Echo Chamber posted:

- Lying to Tony Todd; telling him he was working on an official Trek thing. And then of course he got mad and quit after learning it's not. But they still promoted the project with him part of it.

Also something about not paying the man. And using his name in promotions after he explicitly quit the production. Which is a goddamn shame because Admiral Ramirez and his speech about the dream of the Federation are peak Trek.

Tony Todd :swoon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

One problem with Ferengi as capitalists is that they're mostly depicted as traders and merchants. With the exception of the great ds9 episode about unions, buying the labor of others is seldom depicted as a major component of Ferengi economic activity. They are petit bourgeois rather than bourgeois, again rhyming with stereotypes of Jews
I am not some grand master of consequensology or whatever, but it seems clear that the Ferengi capitalistic practice is strongly bounded by cultural norms and requirements in a way that we don't typically associate with capitalism. They seem to have reached something resembling a steady state, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ferenginar is actually where most of the Ferengi live, and that they were "smaller" in terms of scale/economic weight than the Federation, Klingons, etc.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, Ferengi culture isn't quite the free-for-all our modern capitalism is. They have actual rules which are actually enforced!

(Nobody would buy a book called "the Suggestions of Acquisition.")

E: consider, as well, they predicted the rise of microtransactions.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ferengi aren't twentieth century capitalists, they're what politically tone deaf DS9 writers think twentieth century capitalism is, which results in a jew goblin meant, comically, to somehow indict capitalism.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 31, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

I shouldn't tell you this, it might put me in danger, but...Ghosts are real and they are the reason we are all alive right now. Scientists don't want to tell people that but it's true. It is also true that anyone who ever told you they saw a ghost was either a liar or was mistaken. Gravity affects ghosts, and they also go though all matter, but they do burn, they are combustible. People die. A ghost is created. It immediately falls through the earth into the ghost furnace at the center. This keeps the fires stoked and allows people to live on the planet. Who built the ghost furnace? You wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

- It seemed like at one point Peters was hoping CBS/Paramount would settle by "purchasing" Axanar and official-izing it; and give effective creative control of Star Trek to him. The gently caress?
- Yet still managed to convince a bunch of toxic Trek fans that CBS was the bad guy here. (If you look at the official Trek and Discovery facebook pages, there's typically plenty of dumb pro-Axanar comments.)

I haven't followed it too closely, but this is supposed to have a lot of critical reporting of it.

Also he was using the funds and ST IP to basically start his own film studio, a for profit entity.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

dont even fink about it posted:

Ferengi aren't twentieth century capitalists, they're what politically tone deaf DS9 writers think twentieth century capitalism is, which results in a jew goblin meant, comically, to somehow indict capitalism.

Get a new gimmick, for god's sake

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, Ferengi culture isn't quite the free-for-all our modern capitalism is. They have actual rules which are actually enforced!

(Nobody would buy a book called "the Suggestions of Acquisition.")

E: consider, as well, they predicted the rise of microtransactions.

You're overlooking something. Humans used to be a lot worse than Ferengi: slavery, concentration camps, interstellar war.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

You're overlooking something. Humans used to be a lot worse than Ferengi: slavery, concentration camps, interstellar war.

Yea sure there's that great Quark line, but we never find out how the Ferengi handle their poor/downtrodden and that always interested me. Do you just starve and die if you're a poor Ferengi? I can't imagine there being welfare programs, at least not in the pre-Grand Nagus Rom era.

Also their treatment of women is basically slavery, so I'm not sure you can trust Quark on how the Ferengi never did the worst stuff.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

Yea sure there's that great Quark line, but we never find out how the Ferengi handle their poor/downtrodden and that always interested me. Do you just starve and die if you're a poor Ferengi? I can't imagine there being welfare programs, at least not in the pre-Grand Nagus Rom era.

Also their treatment of women is basically slavery, so I'm not sure you can trust Quark on how the Ferengi never did the worst stuff.

All dissenters get thrown from a tower. It'd be like the US today if we shot anyone who tried to default on their loans- the real world (US) equivalent is people working an underpaying job to keep medical insurance, while forced to watch company videos about the evils of unions.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Echo Chamber posted:

The Axanar scammers can choke but it makes me wonder how far they're willing to take this scam. Seems pretty obvious they'll steal the money and not produce much.

Paramount needs to clean this shitheel out. gently caress him.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Echo Chamber posted:

AxaMonitor is a good source of info in this area, but they miss out that Axanar's new benefactor is no saint either.

The company that bailed out Alec Peters, OWC / Macsales run by Larry O'Connor, also has a spotty history; OWC started as a small business that sold used Apple II / Mac computer parts, and once was hailed as one of the few third party companies supporting Apple / Mac products.

Early on, their products were sometimes of questionable quality; when Apple changed the format of their internal video slot on the PowerMac, they learned from hardware hackers that it was possible to use certain older video cards on the PowerMac G4 on the newer model G5 by hacksawing off an extra connector. They then proceeded to sell off their built-up supply of cards with the extra connector sliced off and touted it as the cheapest, best new video option for G5s, similar to how Alec Peters has been trying to sell Axanar as a bold new direction for Star Trek.

They also built up a reputation for screwing over vendors at Mac shows (back when they still held them) by keeping products that were loaned out to them as demos. (This happened to many vendors who needed exposure but were often working on threadbare finances, Larry would simply disappear well before the end of the show with said demos) These items were often put up for sale in their clearance area on their website long after the shows ended. Sometimes they would produce products that would be mysteriously pulled for no reason and never mentioned again, usually due to technical/legal issues, such as their own branded Serial ATA card. They also used to partner with other companies like Newer Technologies to sell their products, but often those other companies would quietly end their relationship with them, doubtless because they discovered Larry either shorting them on sales or touting other products behind their back.

Recently it was discovered that many of their SSD models didn't support Apple's new OS, High Sierra, and when users tried to update their OWC hardware, they were left with unbootable SSDs and data loss. Their answer to this was to quietly post in their blog saying there was a problem, blamed Apple, had hardware updates coming, but when they finally appeared they kept moving the links to make it difficult to download them.

tl;dr: Alec Peters found his tech business soul brother in Larry O'Connor, who is a Ferengi at heart

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 31, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WampaLord posted:

Yeah that gets overlooked....they do talk about how shameful it is to be bad at business in their society, but we don't get into how poverty works in the Ferengi Alliance.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I bet a lot of Ferengi are like Rom in that sense. He's not good at business and his long-suffering brother gives him a lovely job for a pittance. I suspect there's a lot of that in Ferenginar, where you really can walk into a business and say "I'll mop your floors for two slips a day" and get a job.

(Two slips gets you a closet under the stairs at your job and a meal. But hey, it's a living.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Outside of cultural and societal pressure, I don’t understand why Ferengi citizens wouldn’t just gently caress off Ferenginar and move to Earth, where they can literally replicate anything they want (except latinum) for free and live in what is essentially paradise.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that gets overlooked....they do talk about how shameful it is to be bad at business in their society, but we don't get into how poverty works in the Ferengi Alliance.

Not to mention their idea of hell is called the Vault of Eternal Destitution, so there clearly is a concept of poverty and it being a terrible fate for Ferengi to suffer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Outside of cultural and societal pressure, I don’t understand why Ferengi citizens wouldn’t just gently caress off Ferenginar and move to Earth, where they can literally replicate anything they want (except latinum) for free and live in what is essentially paradise.
I'm guessing that they consider that cheating, or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because while there's no risk of becoming poor, there's no chance at becoming wealthy either

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's too easy. No risk, no reward.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, if you removed all their cultural baggage, maybe. But really, Joe Ferengi is raised to value economic achievement. The Ferengi sense of worth comes from making money and their whole culture is built to reinforce that. Ishka gets a very generous stipend, but still pursues profit. Because it's fun to prove you're cleverer than the rest, that you can make the most latinum.

Even Nog doesn't really understand the Federation mindset. It's just too alien to him.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

As Rom says in the beginning of the Union episode, 'Ferengi don't want to stop the exploitation, they want to become the exploiters.'
Otherwise for the same reason people vote Republican: they are all temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: Ferengi females; I think I read somewhere that the Ferengi treat pregnancy as a landlord/tenant deal, with the fetus being the leasee.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

Get a new gimmick, for god's sake

It's OK, if you ignore ferengi and focus on the main plot, you still get a totally noncommittal "both sides are bad" plotline about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which today could not have aged more poorly.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/947599931719630848

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Even Nog doesn't really understand the Federation mindset. It's just too alien to him.

Nog is a great illustration of the difference between Ferengi and Federation mindsets. In the episode where he trades favors across the sector to get some part for the Defiant three weeks earlier than the normal starfleet system O'Brian seems half baffled by the idea and amazed Nog pulled it off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cameo on Discovery? I’m down.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The lead in Tarantino Trek. :pray:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Or if the movies do Doomsday Machine, he could do a great Matt Decker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The lead in Tarantino Trek. :pray:

My life for this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

"C-C-Captain, could you put down that buzzsaw? I don't think this is ideal first contact behavior.."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bruce Campbell on Star Trek?

...or Bruce Campbell on The Orville? :getin:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ash in Who Watches the Watchers

"Alright, you primitive screwheads..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah, if you removed all their cultural baggage, maybe. But really, Joe Ferengi is raised to value economic achievement. The Ferengi sense of worth comes from making money and their whole culture is built to reinforce that. Ishka gets a very generous stipend, but still pursues profit. Because it's fun to prove you're cleverer than the rest, that you can make the most latinum.

Exactly, it's the same reason why so many of us hewmons find it difficult to even entertain the conceit of the Federation as presented. A fish does not see the ocean.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
That Bruce Campbell fan wankery makes me wish Star Trek would stop looking to its own past for new material.

Set the next Trek 500 years into the future of all previous Trek or something.

Discovery should have been this but reasons?

Same reason I think they should have jumped right to episode 25 or something for the post-Disney buying Star Wars but oh hey, can't have that. Risks are not as profitable as doing the bare minimum of nostalgia milking.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jeeves posted:

That Bruce Campbell fan wankery makes me wish Star Trek would stop looking to its own past for new material.

Set the next Trek 500 years into the future of all previous Trek or something.

Discovery should have been this but reasons?

Same reason I think they should have jumped right to episode 25 or something for the post-Disney buying Star Wars but oh hey, can't have that. Risks are not as profitable as doing the bare minimum of nostalgia milking.
I agree with you completely on Star Wars but I don't think it would work super well for Star Trek - part of why I don't blame them for wanting to reset the slate is because there were twenty-one seasons of TV in that period and a lot of poo poo got mined and already "done." They got teleporter guns and transwarp conduits and cures for death and green-blooded hobgoblins everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I feel like you can't jump ahead substantially in Star Wars because the setting isn't very coherent or compelling. You jump ahead 500 years and the setting might as well be anything. The Federation and its adjacent galactopolitical powers are sharply defined enough that you can imagine them both radically changed and yet recognizable in the far future.