Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can stick with your slow and bloated javascript if you want but I'll be very happy to see it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

you can stick with your slow and bloated javascript if you want but I'll be very happy to see it go.

i too can imagine many things better than javascript for the web

but they'll never happen so why bother thinking about them?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Shaggar posted:

javascript was only ever intended to open popup windows and close popup windows and everything else that's been tacked onto it is a disaster. its a very very bad language and its the only reason the web sucks. its not at all the fault of the dom.

It's almost 2018. Don't you think you should get a different gimmick?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Zemyla posted:

are you telling me you don't use a browse with something to block the majority of javascript "content"? (ads)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

it kind of feels like you read one post somewhere that you disagree with and your article is the response to that

https://tomassetti.me/introduction-to-webassembly/

this guy is a serious consultant

> For instance, instead of compiling TypeScript to JavaScript, its developers could now compile to WebAssembly.
wrong

> In short, it is not a new virtual machine, it is a new format for the same JavaScript VM that is included in every browser.
wrong

> That is not all: it will be possible to port WebAssembly to other platforms. This means that if you write software in a language that compiles to WebAssembly you might be able to run it on .NET.

what the gently caress are you smoking

this guy literally made a library to parse wasm files and he's getting basic stuff wrong.

https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/issues/219

this issue is just entirely lol

i could find plenty more if i started looking

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Zemyla posted:

the problem with being right when the world is wrong is that the world tends to stay wrong

shaggar is, and was, and will be, right

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Zemyla posted:

javascript being bad is no gimmick, friend ! ! !

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

https://tomassetti.me/introduction-to-webassembly/

this guy is a serious consultant

> For instance, instead of compiling TypeScript to JavaScript, its developers could now compile to WebAssembly.
wrong

> In short, it is not a new virtual machine, it is a new format for the same JavaScript VM that is included in every browser.
wrong

> That is not all: it will be possible to port WebAssembly to other platforms. This means that if you write software in a language that compiles to WebAssembly you might be able to run it on .NET.

what the gently caress are you smoking

this guy literally made a library to parse wasm files and he's getting basic stuff wrong.

https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/issues/219

this issue is just entirely lol

i could find plenty more if i started looking

so what is wasm actually solving

we've had a few posts about problems it doesn't solve

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem with being right when the world is wrong is that the world tends to stay wrong

shaggar is, and was, and will be, right

the hard part is differentiating being "right" about the world being flat and being right about relativity

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so what is wasm actually solving

we've had a few posts about problems it doesn't solve

wasm is a high-performance aot compiler target for the web. its memory model is linear memory of floats and integers, and has an ffi that is basically that. if your problem fits into that space (read: "c/c++"), congratulations, wasm is designed for you.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Xarn posted:

rjmccall posted:

lispers really like conflating concepts with implementations because lispers are the wolframs of plt.

idgi :shrug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
make some sort of cage for unmanaged languages to run in and then have a javascript api on one side and pseudo syscall thing on the other to exchange buffers with it imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah, we should be using something fast and lean like WPF and C# lol

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah but what's the point unless wasm has its own vm? you're still going to have to write the js glue and dom manipulation anyway.

the biggest advantage wasm has is how compact the payloads theoretically could be.

performance wise, there's still no support for js data structures so unless you're doing computationally expensive operations (and let's be honest, the most computationally expensive js is all dom anyway which precludes wasm) there's really no point.

the webassembly working group is only four months old, friend. i have confidence they'll do something of note to improve wasm - i don't think we're stuck with its capabilities as it is right now.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

akadajet posted:

mega-agreedo

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CommunistPancake posted:

the webassembly working group is only four months old, friend. i have confidence they'll do something of note to improve wasm - i don't think we're stuck with its capabilities as it is right now.

and...what is it actually going to do?

to ship its own vm, browser makers will have to adopt the standard at practically the same time or else figure out an interop system and implement it themselves; shades of browser prefixes and all of that pain.

otherwise isn't webass basically just ffi for the browser?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i have the feeling your conclusion in this discussion is that javascript is good enough and i really don't want to end up there

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Thanks, but the part I didn't get was the dig at Wolfram :v:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

it's more that js isn't going anywhere so anything you do with webass is going to have to involve js anyway so what's the point unless you're in a special case where things you're doing in the browser aren't dom-related but have serious performance implications

so congrats, webass is going to be the new method for serving more ads, not content

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

anything you do with typescript is going to have to involve js anyway so what's the point?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

webass don't compile to js

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

akadajet posted:

(screenshot comparison of Windows IoT Core vs. some Linux on raspberry pi)

*finger hovering between two choices*

hmm now which one of these should I choose

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Xarn posted:

Thanks, but the part I didn't get was the dig at Wolfram :v:

wolfram is well-known for not reading the literature, like even at an undergraduate level, and then coming up with some basic result and thinking that he's done something really original. he's a genuinely smart guy but likes to reinvent things in new terms which is why ultimately he is going to die not having made any significant contributions

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

webass don't compile to js

you have discovered the true purpose of wäsm

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CommunistPancake posted:

anything you do with typescript is going to have to involve js anyway so what's the point?

i keep coming back to this. this is a phenomenally stupid thing to post. like, one of the dumbest things i think i've read in a long time.

webass will never replace js. it just offloads some of the logic to compiled code which still has to be called and used by the browser.

typescript transpiles to valid js and can do dom manipulation natively. ts assets are transpiled and distributed as js files.

unless you're doing something computationally expensive that doesn't involve the dom there's no point in using webass over typescript because typescript gives you the same compile-time-like safety with the advantage that a) you're not severely restricted in terms of the data types you can use, and b) ts actually works now and you can use it and not a pipe dream.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Max Facetime posted:

(screenshot comparison of Windows IoT Core vs. some Linux on raspberry pi)

*finger hovering between two choices*

hmm now which one of these should I choose

just get an apple tv

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rjmccall posted:

wolfram is well-known for not reading the literature, like even at an undergraduate level, and then coming up with some basic result and thinking that he's done something really original. he's a genuinely smart guy but likes to reinvent things in new terms which is why ultimately he is going to die not having made any significant contributions

the difference is Lisp did all this stuff like 25-30 or more years ago, and it’s the rest of the industry that’s reinventing things in new terms

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

akadajet posted:

just get an apple tv

bonus: no UIWebView on Apple TV so web “developers” can’t just wrap an app around a web page and claim it’s native

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

Blinkz0rz posted:

i keep coming back to this. this is a phenomenally stupid thing to post. like, one of the dumbest things i think i've read in a long time.

webass will never replace js. it just offloads some of the logic to compiled code which still has to be called and used by the browser.

typescript transpiles to valid js and can do dom manipulation natively. ts assets are transpiled and distributed as js files.

unless you're doing something computationally expensive that doesn't involve the dom there's no point in using webass over typescript because typescript gives you the same compile-time-like safety with the advantage that a) you're not severely restricted in terms of the data types you can use, and b) ts actually works now and you can use it and not a pipe dream.

wásm won't replace js right now. because it's been out for only about nine months so far. do you think that "how should web assembly access the dom" would be a question if there weren't plans for it to access the dom

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

your argument seems to be "why should anyone use web assembly ever if it doesn't have all the features right now?"

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

but in the end, what's the point? if it's legit to not have to write js for the browser you'd be better served to spend some time learning js rather than waiting until ~~future~~ when webass might do what you want

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i already know js and i yearn for the day i am freed from this mind prison

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CommunistPancake posted:

your argument seems to be "why should anyone use web assembly ever if it doesn't have all the features right now?"

yes, this is exactly my point. webass is a pipe dream and it's stupid to talk about it as if it were useful. just learn loving javascript and stop complaining

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I predict that webass will be used for the same things that asm.js is used for and that's all there will be to it.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

i think everyone who wants to see webasm be a thing already know js, because they are web developers who hate js

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

maybe? idk i'd rather write js than c or c++ but maybe that's just me

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

i too can imagine many things better than javascript for the web

but they'll never happen so why bother thinking about them?

this is a phenomenally stupid thing to post

it is exactly this attitude that prevents making something actually good.

why have we bothered with any advancement in tooling or languages? in the time it took to make java everyone could have just learned c instead. it's a perfectly fine language and it's not going anywhere and has support on everthing in the foreseeable future

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so, you could imagine introducing a sound, statically-typed vm that generalizes javascript. it would be very jvm-like, or maybe clr-like, but with explicit js support, so e.g. it would have fundamental value types/operations like "uint16" and "uint16 +" but also "js value" and "js +", "js call", etc

because of all the dynamic js operations it would naturally be a highly dynamic vm with all sorts of dynamic specialization optimizations, like good js implementations are today, but the primitive types would support some additional expressiveness without performance penalty, and the vm would naturally have direct access to the javascript heap

then sure, that's a vm which might gradually replace js. but it would be very jvm-like, in that you couldn't really imagine compiling an arbitrary language to it without basically rewriting half of the frontend, you certainly couldn't just compile llvm to it. it would be a lot like, well, the jvm in that it would have its own family of languages designed to target it. and you would not easily be able to support stuff like stack-allocated objects

but that is very much not what wasm is designed to be

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 31, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Uh, he calls himself a software architecture and does nothing other than creating awful DSLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

HoboMan posted:

this is a phenomenally stupid thing to post

it is exactly this attitude that prevents making something actually good.

why have we bothered with any advancement in tooling or languages? in the time it took to make java everyone could have just learned c instead. it's a perfectly fine language and it's not going anywhere and has support on everthing in the foreseeable future

there's a big difference between creating a language and vm in isolation and trying to get google, mozilla, microsoft, opera, apple, etc to work together and fundamentally change the way that browsers work.

my point is that webass isn't currently solving any problem that actually learning js would solve

if the future state of it is that it allows other languages to interact with the browser that would be awesome, but web history is littered with applets, flash, activex, and other sadness which tried to do the same thing.