Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:stare:

That movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, remember that I said Wei Shen cannot own any boats. So if he's driving one, he's stealing it.

Can anyone really own a boat?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Yes.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
boy howdy that sure was a movie. jesus loving christ korea.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GenHavoc posted:

1 Count Failure to Appreciate Fine Craftsmanship
I think I missed this one. What brought this charge up?

Azure Dreamer posted:

boy howdy that sure was a movie. jesus loving christ korea.
Like holy poo poo I did not need to see all of that before bed. Now I need to go watch something happy and full of bubblegum and candy.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Shei-kun posted:

I think I missed this one. What brought this charge up?

That was from Wei Shen's failure to realize that the motorcycle Jackie had been paid with was probably perfectly reasonable compensation for the load he had fenced.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
:allears: That movie. It's hilariously relentless in punching you in the junk until you're curled in the fetal position. The other movies in the so-called "Vengeance Trilogy" have shades of this, but this is the most brutal one.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I didn't grab the shopkeeper in either instance; the shopkeeper was the guy who asked me to grab the random drunk and get him out of the store, which is what I did. Both times. Hence the mystery. It doesn't really affect the crime list, I just wanted to clarify what was going on.

I think what may have happened is that the shopkeeper wandered into traffic while you were putting the drunk in the trunk. Since the favour is programmed to fail if you attack the shopkeeper instead of the drunk, the result was a failed favour. I suspect you just got screwed by bad AI pathing.

I think the worst example of that I ever saw was in "The Saboteur" on PS3. There is a side mission in the middle of that game where you assist a Chinese doctor by protecting him from the Nazis. Obviously, if the doctor dies you fail and have to start the mission over.

Several hours later, there is a story mission where you have to man a turret in the back of a truck during a vehicle chase. I'm in the middle of the chase when I get the message "Mission Failed: The doctor was killed."

Turns out that after you do the side mission, the doctor goes to a bench in Chinatown and sits there with his "fail on death" flag still active. Guess which bench my AI driver kept smashing into during the vehicle chase?

I had to do that stupid chase mission about a dozen times before I got lucky and was actually able to finish it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

GenHavoc posted:

That was from Wei Shen's failure to realize that the motorcycle Jackie had been paid with was probably perfectly reasonable compensation for the load he had fenced.
Seeing as how he's in the business of fencing goods, that's pretty fair.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
:stare: Mrs Chu don't gently caress around

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
:black101:

Mrs. Chu is loving Hardcore.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Miz Kriss posted:

:stare: Mrs Chu don't gently caress around

I have been doing everything I can not to hint that that poo poo was coming.

Do not gently caress with Mrs. Chu. Ever.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Since everyone has already said "Don't gently caress with Ms. Chu" (though it can't be stated enough) I'll just say "GenHavoc will have a field day with THIS!"

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You might have noticed that when the Po was trying to chose a temporary Chairman, Jiang cuts Lee off from suggesting himself.

We know that Lee is after the position with Dogeyes outright saying that Lee is going to be Chairman although it's easy to dismiss him given that Wei and Jiang are intent on keeping that from happening.

And if you thought Mrs Chu was dangerous, imagine what Jiang's capable of since unlike the former she doesn't need a meat cleaver to kill her enemies.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My only thoughts on the Dogeyes segment that haven't been posted already are "Bobbin can be creepy when he wants to be." That evil chuckle... :stonk:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I appreciate just how clearly out of his depth Jackie is, and that they don't really shy away from how badly it winds up screwing him up, either.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
"The Last Dragon" is a movie with a genuine affection for its source material, whether it be the city of New York, contemporary popular music, or the cinematic works of Bruce Lee. The film is thick with references to Lee, from Leroy's yellow jumpsuit to the wooden darts Leroy uses to disarm gunmen(just as Kato did in "The Green Hornet"). It even extends behind the scenes, as the film's fight choreographer was American martial artist/actor Ron van Clief, known in films as "The Black Dragon".

There are a bunch of first appearances in this film beyond William H. Macy. Chazz Palmienteri appears briefly as a switchblade-wielding goon, a very young Keshia Knight-Pulliam plays Leroy's little sister, and it's the first film role for Ernie Reyes Jr., who would go on to get his own TV series alongside Gil Gerard and Keye Luke(who played Kato in the 1940s and was the blind master Po in the original "Kung-Fu" TV series). Reyes has done stuntwork and motion capture for several films and his cinematic opponents include Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and Leslie Nielsen.

I was pretty young when I first saw "Last Dragon" and I'm probably the only person who didn't see it coming when Sho-Nuff busted out the Glow in the last fight. It made an already intimidating villain absolutely terrifying. Leroy's acceptance of his own mastery still gives me goosebumps when I watch it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ernie Reyes Jr. also stars in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 Secret of the Ooze, a childhood favorite film of mine. I saw the Last Dragon a while back and liked it a lot.

I wonder if Jiang would hire Mrs. Chu as an Enforcer...

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :D

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chimera-gui posted:

You might have noticed that when the Po was trying to chose a temporary Chairman, Jiang cuts Lee off from suggesting himself.

We know that Lee is after the position with Dogeyes outright saying that Lee is going to be Chairman although it's easy to dismiss him given that Wei and Jiang are intent on keeping that from happening.

And if you thought Mrs Chu was dangerous, imagine what Jiang's capable of since unlike the former she doesn't need a meat cleaver to kill her enemies.

Jiang is outright the smartest character in Sleeping Dogs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Jiang is outright the smartest character in Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah, I think that's pretty likely an accurate assessment.

It's also why I find her less intimidating than Mrs Chu. Smart criminals tend to hold back, keep some distance, leave their options open. If you might be useful later, smart criminals might give you enough rope to get out or hang yourself. Taking it for mercy is suicide, of course, but you might be able to argue your way into survival based on long game utility.

Mrs. Chu is not about the long game. Mrs. Chu is not about second chances. Mrs. Chu knows what you did, and what she's going to do, and you don't really having options past that point.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As this LP has shown many times though, both through the movie reviews and characters like Uncle Po, you don't have to be visibly intimidating to be dangerous.

Her report mentions that she is believed to have killed her way into a red pole position and won't hesitate to do so again if necessary hence why most lower level gangsters are afraid of her. This makes her similar to Uncle Po whose own rise through the ranks of the Sun On Yee was marked by extreme violence even though he's kept his own hands clean once he chairman.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

As this LP has shown many times though, both through the movie reviews and characters like Uncle Po, you don't have to be visibly intimidating to be dangerous.

Her report mentions that she is believed to have killed her way into a red pole position and won't hesitate to do so again if necessary hence why most lower level gangsters are afraid of her. This makes her similar to Uncle Po whose own rise through the ranks of the Sun On Yee was marked by extreme violence even though he's kept his own hands clean once he chairman.

Hey, I'm not saying Broken Nose is someone anyone in his or her right mind would cross. I'm just saying I'd be less scared of her than Mrs. Chu.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

VolticSurge posted:

My only thoughts on the Dogeyes segment that haven't been posted already are "Bobbin can be creepy when he wants to be." That evil chuckle... :stonk:

His best evil laugh was in a much older Let's Play of a Microprose adventure game where he made the main character jump in a well at the very beginning. I can't find it on the LP archive so the evidence may be lost forever but it lives on in my heart.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I really like how Dogeyes gets taken out and no-one loving cares. The assessment early on of 'He thinks he's a way, way bigger deal than he is' from your phone was 100% dead on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Night10194 posted:

Also, I really like how Dogeyes gets taken out and no-one loving cares. The assessment early on of 'He thinks he's a way, way bigger deal than he is' from your phone was 100% dead on.

Because caring would mean potentially crossing the path of Mrs Chu, and there ain't no one willing to do that. Even Wei, brutal as he is, shuts up and does what she tells him to do, no questions, no failure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

berryjon posted:

Because caring would mean potentially crossing the path of Mrs Chu, and there ain't no one willing to do that. Even Wei, brutal as he is, shuts up and does what she tells him to do, no questions, no failure.

Wei respects anyone more bloodthirsty than he is too much to argue over details.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Mrs Chu never forgets, and she never forgives

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Maybe it's videogames and other violent media making me think that killing happens more often than not but it seems weird to me Jackie hasn't popped his killed a human cherry before.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

Azure Dreamer posted:

mrs chu is loving hardcore.

also, to a lesser degree, broken nose jiang was in top form in today's episode. i really love the smug-rear end smirk she has when wei gets made an official red pole.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I'm surprised that you didn't choose another film for the review, Bobbin, especially after that Galleria fight.

I refer, or course, Action Doctor.

Edit: Does Jiang really have a broken nose? I can't see anything untoward about it, as far as noses go.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 2, 2018

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
:allears: I love that Mrs. Chu scene. As sexist as Asian cultures tend to be, there is one truth that always seems to pervade, especially in media: You do not gently caress with a mother. Motherhood is sacrosanct and highly respected, and a mother's vengeance, whether in the form of a curse or more physical retribution, is always feared over any other kind of revenge. As such, such retributions tend to be portrayed a lot more grisly than that of a sibling, a father, or friend. At least, that's been my experience.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'll just add myself to the chorus of 'holy gently caress, Mrs. Chu.' :staredog:

Speaking of American martial arts, anyone with an hour to spare should listen to the saga of Count Dante, the DEADLIEST MAN ALIVE.

There's even an organised crime connection!

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 2, 2018

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I'm afraid the usual roundup of criminality will be delayed until later this week due to the flu.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GenHavoc posted:

I'm afraid the usual roundup of criminality will be delayed until later this week due to the flu.

Wei's worst crime yet!

Get well soon.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Bruceski posted:

Wei's worst crime yet!

Get well soon.
1 Count Conspiracy to commit Biological Warfare

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!

Shei-kun posted:

You know, I think that'll work for me.

Sorry for the extended delay, guys, but I came down with a case of DEATH and had to take a few days to recover. However, if the comments are anything to go by, I've got one hell of a pile of crime to tabulate now that I'm back in business, so let's see what we've got...

... oh my.

... oh MY.

Um... yeah, so...

People almost certainly permanently crippled/maimed by Wei Shen: 25 (total: 353)
People definitively killed by Wei Shen: 31 (total: 319)

Crimes:

1 Count Possession of a Kickin' Rad Panel Van
2 Counts Conpiracy to Commit Murder in the First Degree
25 Counts Reckless Endangerment
1 Count Vandalism
1 Count Grand Theft Boat
1 Count Misdemeanor Hit-and-Run
13 Counts Assault and Battery
27 Counts Murder in the Second Degree
2 Counts Assault and Fishery
3 Counts Murder in the Second Degree (Fishy Circumstances)
1 Count Aggravated Kidnapping in the First Degree
1 Count Possession of an Assault Weapon
5 Counts Assault with a Deadly Weapon
4 Counts Attempted Murder in the Second Degree
17 Counts Malicious Destruction of Property
3 Counts Felony Hit-and-Run
1 Count Moral Depravity
1 Count Manslaughter in the First Degree
1 Count Aggravated Mayhem
1 Count Vehicular Homicide
2 Counts Accessory to Motherfucking Cannibalism
1 Count Conspiracy to Commit Aggravated Mayhem
1 Count Conspiracy to Commit Torture
1 Count Simple Assault
1 Count Associating with Fat Bastard
1 Count Solicitation

That's a nasty little rap sheet there, and it comes out to a total sentence of Two Life Sentences, plus 1,173 Years, 4 months, which believe it or not is actually less time than the last session had.

But good god...

GenHavoc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 5, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Sleeping Dogs is one of only two games I know of where you can be an Accessory to Cannibalism. The other I am currently LPing on these boards. I am repelled by the idea of Cannibalism, despite a reluctance to mess with the perps. Wei I could handle- maybe. I am not f-ing with Mrs. Chu.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 5, 2018

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Mrs Chu’s rap sheet would be short but scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BurningStone posted:

Mrs Chu’s rap sheet would be short but scary.

I dunno, I would imagine a TON of health code violations in there, ESPECIALLY now.

• Locked thread