Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Who bought DerekSmartDoxxedAndSwattedAYoungGirlIn1990.com?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

History Comes Inside! posted:

If derek actually uses the test guy I will buy lod, print the manual and eat it.

Yeah, that's not good enough. The LOD manual is only 21 pages. Go for the UCCE manual. It's 100 pages.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that's not good enough. The LOD manual is only 21 pages. Go for the UCCE manual. It's 100 pages.

gently caress that. Sell him the boxed limited edition so we can watch him eat that instead.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Othin posted:

The thing about Star Citizen is that at this point is that it has gone on for so long and generated so much insanity that people think you are lying or exaggerating when you try to explain it. Like any one story from this would be hard to believe. Five+ years worth is just too much.

*Exceed original goal by a hundred plus million dollars.. still do not have content from original demo in game.
*CEO and HR/Marketing director attempt to hide marriage
*HR/Marketing director sings Nazi song to Germans
*CEO tells HR/Marketing director to just fly first class. HR/Marketing director tells this to media.
*Plucky little startup has like 14 offices/divisions/subsidiaries spread across the globe.
*In order to prove how honest and straightforward they were as a company, they promised backers that they would release financials in full if they didnt ship by a certain point. When that point came they just deleted all references to that and wrote a new *ironclad* TOS.
*Have missed every single date and milestone they have set for themselves.
*Accidentally* release dev build to public since it was on an open server
*The backers....

*Star Citizen, the horse

D_Smart posted:

Pages 1-20 are a guide to opening the main menu.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

DuckDynasty posted:

Anyone want to start bets on which of these attorneys respond on behalf of CIG/RSI?

http://fkks.com/attorneys

Take your picks...

I don't see anyone with an area of expertise in fire and fury. :colbert:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Othin posted:

The thing about Star Citizen is that at this point is that it has gone on for so long and generated so much insanity that people think you are lying or exaggerating when you try to explain it. Like any one story from this would be hard to believe. Five+ years worth is just too much.

*Exceed original goal by a hundred plus million dollars.. still do not have content from original demo in game.
*CEO tells HR/Marketing director to just fly first class. HR/Marketing director tells this to media.
*Plucky little startup has like 14 offices/divisions/subsidiaries spread across the globe.
*In order to prove how honest and straightforward they were as a company, they promised backers that they would release financials in full if they didnt ship by a certain point. When that point came they just deleted all references to that and wrote a new *ironclad* TOS.
*The backers....
This is amazing. I definitely haven’t been following the whole saga, mostly all I know of Star Citizen is ‘oh yea they got shitloads of money and sell ships for even more money and never released a game’ so I’ve missed out on most details like this.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Virtual Captain posted:

Tomorrow is the big day, the deadline for replying to the suit so I would advise everyone to wear flame retardant clothing and maybe a helmet. :supaburn: :tif: :supaburn:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

all the posts that he'd just need to click "jerk detected" to read? the posts that he quotes anyways?

those posts?

i can't tell if lladre is :thejoke: or just taking a joke post by dusty lens at literal face value

There is no logic which can be used to explain the sheer stupidity of some human beings. That's why we just lol.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

reverend crabhands posted:

Still waiting for my paycheck Derek. :colbert:

It is illegal to give money to mental patients. So. :colbert:

----------------

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

thatguy posted:

Who bought DerekSmartDoxxedAndSwattedAYoungGirlIn1990.com?
Speaking of domains, can you guess what expired today?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

hot balls man no homo posted:

Tomorrow is the big day, the deadline for replying to the suit so I would advise everyone to wear flame retardant clothing and maybe a helmet. :supaburn: :tif: :supaburn:

Would a lawyer goon have seen the filing now if they managed to get it on early ?

Or will it only be viewable online after the due date

Don't get me wrong i never in a million years expect them to file early for anything other than a tax break , but you never know with that willy old crobberts at the helm

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016

Yeah, that's not how lawsuits work. CIG/RSI have to get served, and proof of service or waiver of service should be filed in PACER, before the timer starts on responses. Odds are good Crytek sent CIG the standard "Would you like to waive service and avoid like $100 in fees?" snail-mail letter when they filed the complaint. Crytek technically has a 60 day window to serve CIG, though normal service waivers have a 30 day window from complaint filing so plaintiff can reasonably perform regular service.

Oh hey MoMA, that'll be like...$2.50 for totes not a para-legal research of FRFCP poo poo. I'll play by PACER rules and say if we don't incur more than $15 in a quarter you get this for free. Don't gently caress up.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

Would a lawyer goon have seen the filing now if they managed to get it on early ?

Or will it only be viewable online after the due date

Don't get me wrong i never in a million years expect them to file early for anything other than a tax break , but you never know with that willy old crobberts at the helm

No, once something is admitted to the Courts, it is admitted into public record. CIG is dragging out the clock on purpose and as long as CIG's defense team does not allow Chris or Ortwin to write another manifesto, then it should be a rather bland answer of no. But this IS CIG and I have a hard time thinking Chris or Ortwin are self aware enough to not piss straight up into the air with their mouths wide open.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Dusty Lens posted:

For people wondering what's in the picture

There are no other words.

Serious Artistry:

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-il...s-image53302809

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

XK posted:

You need actual hazmat crews to clean up that poo poo.

CIG's printer matches the espresso machine I see.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Toner is evil, back in the day when I was managing an IT dept. we had to order special vacuum cleaners for our printer. The particles of toner are so fine they will get into everything including your pores, lungs, etc. Evil stuff.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Virtual Captain posted:

and..

quote:

with that willy old crobberts at the helm

Linda Wank ...

Baldness fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 3, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lladre posted:

So we're just going too pretend Derek never outed his alt by accident yesterday?

Are you going for sheer stupidity? The real disappointment here is that you're not even worth taking down. Get off the internet, get on your meds.

This is the last you'll hear from me on the subject. Because you're blocked.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lladre posted:

Simple. So that he can read all the posts he has blocked on his main account.

Still at it? Welcome to double blocked.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Haha another great post.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Just pay up in JPEGs

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PrimeNerd posted:

Yeah, that's not how lawsuits work. CIG/RSI have to get served, and proof of service or waiver of service should be filed in PACER, before the timer starts on responses. Odds are good Crytek sent CIG the standard "Would you like to waive service and avoid like $100 in fees?" snail-mail letter when they filed the complaint. Crytek technically has a 60 day window to serve CIG, though normal service waivers have a 30 day window from complaint filing so plaintiff can reasonably perform regular service.

AFAIK, they were served and accepted on Dec 13th

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

Once they respond, it has to be filed with the court. That's how the Skadden will get to see the response. Though they will see if before we do because they will get email notifications as soon as it is in the court system. We won't see it until it goes live on Pacer.

----------------

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 3, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

loving lol, how backers cant seem to hold CR accountable even for just his own bullshit statements (forget financial accountability) is simply spectacular. Clear sign the funding tracker has to be legit. Not.

You do realize that questions like this lead to answers you don’t want. Answers you don’t want lead to the goon side. The goon side leads to Derek Smart.

Can’t have this. Obviously CR was just joking around because he’s such a silly lovable duder. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DonDoodles posted:

Also posting pictures of the kids on Twitter literally hours after said dramatic posts about fearing for his family.

He so did not do that. Are you serious???

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

incomprehensible quote parp

kay thanks for clearing that all up

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wiz posted:

I think you will find that space games are in fact cool and good and you should buy an Idris and also one hundred copies of Stellaris (it's about the same price).

I’d just buy 200 copies of Stellaris. :3:

(I actually own Stellaris and I don’t own too many pc games!)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D_Smart posted:

AFAIK, they were served and accepted on Dec 13th

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

Once they respond, it has to be filed with the court. That's how the Skadden will get to see the response. Though they will see if before we do because they will get email notifications as soon as it is in the court system. We won't see it until it goes live on Pacer.

Would the serving of the summons get entered into pacer or is that more of a private deal that would only go on record after the response is issued? I kinda feel like it would be entered into record as soon as it is served so that all parties know when the clock starts for the response window.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

PederP posted:

Thing is that space / sci-fi is a great setting for a game. Just like high fantasy, grimdark, cyberpunk, many historical periods, etc. Not all settings work equally well for all genres. Space Opera is great for 4X, difficult for Grand Strategy, and Stellaris does a pretty darn good job at being what it is, imo, by using 4X elements to address aspects where it is a difficult setting for Grand Strategy. Your mileage may vary. But for me that's one of the main reasons I enjoy it, and I have difficulty getting hooked by Space Opera 4X in general.

Star Citizen is a weird setting which is a little bit Space Opera and very much "WW2-sci-fi". That is great for a story-based dogfighting game that doesn't care about physics and realism, but is about cool pewpews and hammy cinematics. But it's a terrible setting for a sandbox game, a decent one for a PvP game and a difficult choice for an PvE MMO. Star Citizen wants to be all of these and it absolutely doesn't work. Even if we disregard all the issues on the technical side, the choice of setting and game doesn't work. A PvE MMO needs a theme park and content-recyling mechanics. A PvP game needs a strong meta-game based on factions, rankings and/or player communities. Sandboxes need a mechanics supporting exploration, player-constructed content and emergent gameplay.

It's really difficult to make a space MMO that isn't total garbage, and it's probably going to be niché if it works. Like Eve and ED. I think that's why so many backers pin their hopes on subsumption being SkyNet, procedural content somehow not being repetitive and "pipelines". Because what they want isn't actually possible with current technology.

They want West World or the Holo Deck. But procedural content gives you NMS, Dwarf Fortress and ED. Current AI technology gives you uh... DOTA bots? Black & White AI was overhyped. Radiant AI was overhyped. "Pipelines" give you the amount of content in AAA games. Attempting accurate simulation of physics at an object-level in a space MMO as anything but fancy local VFX gives you either Glitchy Lag Simulator or Go-Broke-In-The-Cloud Simulator.

Seeing the constant chants of "you don't understand game development" irks me to no end, because backing the Star Citizen project is based on fundamentally not understanding what is technologically possible, let alone what is possible with fricking CryEngine/LumberYard (which can be used to make awesome games, but not to secure the Turing Award) - because where Molyneux used dreams as a marketing tool, the open development of Star Citizen leaves no doubts about CIG constantly trying to do what the technical foundations absolutely do not support. This isn't about alpha or development cycles. The problem isn't the glitches, bugs, or missing content. That's just development hell, and good games can emerge from that. The problem is the stupid idea that there is some magic technology underneath it all, and that's going to save the day. And that's where CIG should be honest and squash those insane expectations. But I guess that would kill the project faster than any space court.

TL;DR:
Space games aren't bad.
Space games relying on non-existent technology to succeed despite not having a functioning game design are bad.

I, personally, am I huge fan of Eskimo based grand strategy 4x FPS games.

I am happy when I dig up the mukluks +1 and I no longer get eaten by the space sea lions.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ISPs throttle the connection speeds of all goons.

It is known.

I had to SLI together two 14.4 baud modems to make this post. Net neutrality at work.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Would the serving of the summons get entered into pacer or is that more of a private deal that would only go on record after the response is issued? I kinda feel like it would be entered into record as soon as it is served so that all parties know when the clock starts for the response window.

Read the Pacer link. It's already recorded there.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wow. Dude looks good. Almost good enough to make “glowering Sandi” not ruin it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

I’d just buy 200 copies of Stellaris. :3:

(I actually own Stellaris and I don’t own too many pc games!)
If you need terrible Stellaris advice let me know!

The Titanic posted:

Wow. Dude looks good. Almost good enough to make “glowering Sandi” not ruin it.
Oh, Sandi is in the frame?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
"seamless"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3cSURdqJ_0

----------------

downout
Jul 6, 2009

CrazyTolradi quoted this from Dusty Lens originally - I'm not sure how this outs a derek alt. But I can't tell what is going on.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Dusty Lens posted:

Holy poo poo you guys I'm reading the details of the case that haven't been made public yet and they are so much worse than anyone could ever have anticipated.

These idiot morons off their meds have no idea how hosed they are.
Will Montoya lose custody of his JPEGs?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Now for this audition we need you to give us the look you'd spare expendable garbage that exists only to elevate you to the position you deserve but have long been denied by the incompetence of everyone around you

... Holy poo poo we've found her.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Are you going for sheer stupidity? The real disappointment here is that you're not even worth taking down. Get off the internet, get on your meds.

:golfclap:

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Othin posted:

*The backers....
And to think this is just scratching the surface.

*Backers buying a $14k package of spaceships that they can't play
*switching engines
*Stating SQ42 is part only to be spun off. Then they claim it isn't separate but A la carte.
*A 2mil loan for a game that raised millions.
*And now the lawsuit

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dusty Lens posted:

LoL

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Chris gonna get cucked so hard. I smell a divorce in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Reuben Sandwich posted:

And to think this is just scratching the surface.

*Backers buying a $14k package of spaceships that they can't play
*switching engines
*Stating SQ42 is part only to be spun off. Then they claim it isn't separate but A la carte.
*A 2mil loan for a game that raised millions.
*And now the lawsuit

And so much more

*The Book of Loaf
*Ticklegate
*insanely expensive and impractical office furniture
*Ryan Archer

Oh, the movie never ends, it goes on and on and on... Or at least that's how it feels if Sandi's onscreen.