Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Battlegroup series of games have been pretty solid in a way which will work well for the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cassa posted:

What makes you think NORTHAG will avoid these pitfalls?

They put veteran soviet units in the fall of the reich book.

Less snarkily: There's a lot more to the base game; limited order system, more interesting roles for artillery and air, a slightly more realistic engagement size for the scale of the game, and various other things. They also tend to give the soviets a fairer shake, which is nice in WW2 and essential in a game where they're the other major faction. I'm hopeful it'll have more engaging core gameplay, fewer units on the table overall, and better internal faction balance that'll mean there's something other to play than "spam mech inf/poo poo tanks".

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Any news on when Northag will be out? And what will a standard game size look like in terms of models?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Dandywalken posted:

That'd be excellent, yes please! I never realized that you could use airbrush paints at all outside of the airbrush.

Quoting myself from the Oath Thread.

I don't have an airbrush and these are the first things I've put a brush two in years, but if you like the results try this:

I was aiming for a group of tanks operational in the field for a little while, hence the missing rear sprocket guards and weathering.

1. Base coat the tanks in flat black. I use cheap paint from the local auto store.
2. Unload your brush until it's juussst off dry brush levels of Vallejo Model Air 71.294 US Forest Green. Try not to cry because you're using airbrush consistency paint. Keep going until it's just off a streaky mess, should be roughly 3 coats.
3. Wash panel seems and the like with Army Painter Dark Tone.
4. Dry brush forest green again. Repeat until your coverage is good.
5. Equipment (ammo hoppers and jerry cans) are painted with VMC 70.887 Brown Violet. Brake lights on the rear are two light coats of VMC 70.957 Flat Red. Guns are flat black. Hit them with dark tone and then their base colors again if needed.
6. Dry brush everything that isn't black with a 50% mix of US Forest Green and VMC 70.819 Iraqi Sand.
7. Apply tamiya weathering master light gun metal to the 50.cal and other, lesser not 50.cal gun. Apply tamiya weathering master mud to everything that could touch mud. Hit the main gun barrel with soot.
8. Tank commanders are VMC 70.894 Cam olive green, 70.955 flat flesh or 50% flat flesh and 70.871 leather brown. 50% of the troops is a patches of leather brown or 70.983 flat earth, then 25% of the remaining green is covered by VMC 70.988 Khaki, then black stripes of 70.862 Black Grey. Hit with hit uniform with dark tone wash, flesh with strong tone, hit the flesh with flat flesh or 50% flat flesh and leather brown.
9. Tracks are basecoated with citadel Rhinox Hide, dry brushed with VMC 70.990 light grey, then washed with dark tone, weathered with weathering master mud.
10. Enjoy your awesome 1985 era tanks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cassa posted:

What makes you think NORTHAG will avoid these pitfalls?

Whoever is making NORTHAG doesn't have ASIATIC HORDES tatooed on their hearts, unlike Battlefront.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Geisladisk posted:

I'm considering starting a Team Yankee force, since, uniquely for wargames that aren't 40k, it has a active local scene here. However, tank parking lots give me hives. Does TY have any kind of counter-parkinglot mechanic? Can I load up on a bunch of SU-25s or A-10s with AT cluster bombs, or something?

I'm guessing the answer is "not really", because otherwise the parking lots wouldn't be so prevalent...

Please see up-thread for the last "6mm is God's Own Scale" meme I posted.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MeinPanzer posted:

Just asked them and they said they don't ship outside of Scandinavia... any chance you'd be willing to ship something along to other countries within the EU? Those deals are pretty great.

Uh, i guess? if it's a country on https://www.coolrunner.dk i can do it, otherwise any savings will be completely wrecked by shipping. hit me up in a PM and we can talk about it. the sale lasts until the 15th.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

Please see up-thread for the last "6mm is God's Own Scale" meme I posted.

Do the problems with TY get solved by playing in 6mm but keeping distances the same?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Parking lots are easier to avoid when you can fit a 6mm platoon comfortably inside the footprint of a single 15mm tank.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 3, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

spectralent posted:

It's worth noting the consensus is that tanks are overpriced and you're better off with the various mechanised lists. A brit mech platoon has 2 shots at AT 21, for about the same cost as a NATO MBT, with the added perk that they get a 3+ save against everything. The soviets don't have infantry worth mentioning (largely because TY assault is anemic and even then, the soviets are uniquely terrible at it) but the BMP-2 is dirt cheap and given every other vehicle in TY explodes too quickly for how much it costs, the fact they're less than a point each makes them worth it. The difference between a BMP-2 getting no save against a gun and a T-72 glancing on a 6 is minimal. Likewise, the best DDR lists are dirt-cheap tanks; either the T-55 (in numbers) or the T-72M (in multiple small units), on the basis you're not saving anything, anyway, so why bother worrying about protection when you can buy more replacements? Hilariously both these issues stem from TY being usual NATO power fantasy stuff (or at least based on it); Soviet armour is so terrible it's irrelevant and their skill is so bad there's no point going for anything other than numbers, while NATO MBTs are so amazing they tend to suffer from the veteran panther problem where you're putting far too many eggs in one basket and lose the game if the enemy rolls a few lucky sixes early on.

I can go into more detail later, but to say I've gone off the game is an understatement. Very much looking forward to NORTHAG though.

I'm not saying they succeeded- even Flames of War has this going on. Hence the usefulness of the Late-War 31 matilda II+other stuff list for the Soviets.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

An unorthodox idea, but USAREUR allowing a bring your daughter to work day was a smashing success.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 3, 2018

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Polikarpov posted:

Parking lots are easier to avoid when you can fit a 6mm platoon comfortably inside the footprint of a single 15mm tank.

Yes... YES!!!

And thank you, Chiwie for that guide!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Polikarpov posted:

Zog me, this is bootiful.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

What manufacturer are these?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It's a new year, I'm single, and I want to get into Napoleonics finally.

Should I just start with Black Powder stuff? Or play around with really tiny fiddly stuff to play Sharp Practice or something? Or should I look around for local clubs to see what people play first?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Should I just start with Black Powder stuff? Or play around with really tiny fiddly stuff to play Sharp Practice or something? Or should I look around for local clubs to see what people play first?

Start at your local clubs, if you don't have any luck then go for Sharp Practice, then you can easily escalate to bigger format games like BP.

Napoleonics is such a huge undertaking, if you can just join whatever someone else has already started, you can avoid having to paint mans for a year before doing even relatively minor battles. If that's not possible, SP is apparently a great way to start a force (or two :mrgw:)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

COOL CORN posted:

I would always recommend starting with Sharp Practice just because it's so much less of an undertaking to assemble and paint an army or two for that then it is to do anything for Black Powder.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Also recommending Sharp Practice if you're going with 28mm. You can always base them to suit Black Powder, and you'll have a playable force much faster than Black Powder, especially if you have to build and paint both sides. But look for local players too, if they are doing big battles with whatever system, you can probably jump in by just painting up a battalion and join their existing armies.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Thanks for the advice, now I just need to find a group.

I'm in Washington, DC, in case anyone else here is.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Playing any scale that isn't 6mm or 28mm seems wasteful.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks for the advice, now I just need to find a group.

I'm in Washington, DC, in case anyone else here is.

Southern Maryland here. Maybe check the Pentagon?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You... you shut your whore mouth!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH I still think 20mm is the best scale for most things :colbert:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

6mm TY in inches seems to look better but it his similar issues of the core gameplay being relatively standard, faction balance being iffy and internal balance being hosed.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

No reason you can't play with your own minis.
If you have a link to somewhere I could but tiny sailing ships in good detail, I'd appreciate one. Or all of them.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can completely break TY if you play with both sides as the same faction

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

If you have a link to somewhere I could but tiny sailing ships in good detail, I'd appreciate one. Or all of them.

http://www.rodlangton.com/napoleonic/frame.htm
http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/military-models-napoleonic-micronauts.html

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

spectralent posted:

6mm TY in inches seems to look better but it his similar issues of the core gameplay being relatively standard, faction balance being iffy and internal balance being hosed.

Yeah, but it also positions you to jump ship to a better system like Cold War Commander, Fistful of TOWs or the upcoming NORTHAG when you get sick of it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Polikarpov posted:

Yeah, but it also positions you to jump ship to a better system like Cold War Commander, Fistful of TOWs or the upcoming NORTHAG when you get sick of it.

I'd be surprised if northag isn't 20/15mm in scale.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Phi230 posted:

You can completely break TY if you play with both sides as the same faction

Such a turn of events would mark the breaking point of any modern military I imagine. Working as designed!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lord_Hambrose posted:

That's going to be tough for WWI Dreadnoughts.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

spectralent posted:

Like that's ever stopped God's Own Scale

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 4, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

And likely to have individual casualty removal, given the scale of it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cessna posted:

That's going to be tough for WWI Dreadnoughts.

28mm seems like the best scale, honestly. Just look at Blood and Plunder.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lord_Hambrose posted:

28mm seems like the best scale, honestly. Just look at Blood and Plunder.

Fair point.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Do you want me to pass out from all the blood that rushed out to the boner?

...oh, wait, will never get to play it, nvm.

I do wonder why nerds don't try out other rulesets when FoW dies locally. You already have the mans, why not play with them?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well the original Battlegroup was a GW publication (auto pass for many) called Kampfgruppe Normandy, and while it didn't really mention scale it was kind of assumed that you'd be going with 28mm dudes. The shift to PSC after Warhammer Historicals died off and their 28mm dudes not being such an obviously great option compared to competitor offerings in contrast to how their 15mm utterly shat all over Battlefront in every meaningful criteria meant that it sort of became a 20mm game, especially because Piers Brand seems to really love 20mm (probably partially because 2c coins make perfect bases and are also about as cheap as you will get bases for anyways).

And somehow I've never actually met the guy, despite him living here :shrug:

As to why people don't switch... not everyone makes the jump from FoW to scenario-based gaming because they can't just rock up to the shop with toy mans and get a fight in. A lot of the dudes I used to work with in GW have moved onto WarmaHordes or X-Wing for exactly those reasons.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Almost certainly given other battlegroup games.

Also, there are points in battlegroup; it actually has taken off somewhat locally, but OTOH a lot of 15mm mans are still being bought from BF and BF's inability to ship anything in a six month timespan is killing that too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Direct people to better and reliable suppliers of 15mm WW2 tanks and mans imo, PSC and the same company that made the ancient Macedonian army on sale on the previous page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

Direct people to better and reliable suppliers of 15mm WW2 tanks and mans imo, PSC and the same company that made the ancient Macedonian army on sale on the previous page

I think the fact BF has an open account with the FLGS and ordering from them is (nominally) trivial is a big part of it. PSC are also close but they don't have a massive range, especially when it comes to infantry, so if you want something weirder than Pz IIIs or Panthers you're reliant on BF or heading out into the wilds (which I'm happy to do but I can remember being really hesitant about it years ago especially with how 90% of historicals sites look like an abandoned angelfire page with no hint the company's in business anymore).