Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yo paypal me some fun money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, apparently I'm hopping on the "fly somewhere and drive car home" train in a few months. Switch offered me his town car if I fly out to get it. Now I'm making plans to fly out west and do the Trans-Can solo in a Ford that's less than 2 years younger than me.

2018: Year of the Road Trip

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fermented Tinal posted:

Well, apparently I'm hopping on the "fly somewhere and drive car home" train in a few months. Switch offered me his town car if I fly out to get it. Now I'm making plans to fly out west and do the Trans-Can solo in a Ford that's less than 2 years younger than me.

2018: Year of the Road Trip

The Town Car with the A/Ts?

Awww yeeeeeeeee

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Slung owns the wheels and tires. Will have to work that out as we get closer to May because that's when this is probably gonna happen.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ahh. You Canadians and your communal car ownership.

Either way, don't forget an array of sunglasses to spread across the dashboard of that barge once you do set sail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The Town Car with the A/Ts?

Awww yeeeeeeeee

The front right Grabber shredded on the fender lip, so it's half on tires from the Coronet.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've spent most of the last half hour trying to find pictures. Instead all I can find with the words "town car" are posts by switch about how he made the mistake of talking to one of slung's neighbours and that the conversation resulted in a source of constant shame.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
TYRES ARE EXPENSIVE

$470nz ea (fitted & balanced)

lol

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Have fun driving through saskabush and Manitoba, it's going to be a snooze. Western Ontario is not bad though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

gimpsuitjones posted:

TYRES ARE EXPENSIVE

$470nz ea (fitted & balanced)

lol

geeeeeeezzzz

Shoulda kept the Corolla as a DD

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

slothrop posted:

geeeeeeezzzz

Shoulda kept the Corolla as a DD

Yeah, probably... my commute is like 1.8km and I'm away from home using a work vehicle most of the time so I don't do that many "junk miles" in the 'cruiser. BIG OL' ALL TERRAINS cost a lot of money tho

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar posted:

It's in the power companies' interest to reduce the base load so they don't have to build more infrastructure.

This is like, a many textured discussion that belongs in the energy generation thread, but base load is great and pocos will invest heavily to attract more, especially in infrastructure. And again, the reason the pocos in TN publicly asked people to conserve in the morning hours is because they're trying to reduce their demand surcharge on their wholesale power bill - not because they CAN'T supply it. Linked because I can't get imgur to work.

So, uh the east coast is a mess and all the roads are basically solid ice. The initial snow fell around 4pm, I guess the roads were just warm enough to melt it which then refroze. I saw a DOT snowplow on the way home spinning both rear tandem axles.

My work truck is ~16k lbs and at one point I stopped in traffic on a slightly banked curve.... And slid sideways from a stop, all 6 tires, until my right tires hit the shoulder. Everywhere is a graveyard of abandoned cars in ditches.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Uh yeah not looking good for the northeast right now :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/948753856208322561

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

CornHolio posted:

So another question, can I use AAA to tow a non-running vehicle I just bought home? Or do I need to push it into the street first and act all upset about it breaking down?

As me one who has towed cars with legit breakdowns all the way to literally shells of cars with no engines or lights the stated fact is: if it is a registered vehicle that is intact AAA will tow it. If not then just be cool and ready to offer a $20 they get paid either way (tow truck driver). I’ve never had an issue and never had to pay anything.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Bajaha posted:

Have fun driving through saskabush and Manitoba, it's going to be a snooze. Western Ontario is not bad though.

The farm my grandfather was born at is somewhere near Saskatoon so at least there's one thing for me to see.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fermented Tinal posted:

The farm my grandfather was born at is somewhere near Saskatoon so at least there's one thing for me to see.

Luckily if you look NE from the Calgary area you'll probably be able to see it

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got tired of the chronic shutdown issues with my Nexus. It's gotten to where it'll shut off if I try to use the camera with <60% charge, and shuts off if I try to make a phone call below 30%... then when I turn it back on, it shows 5-10% (if it'll turn on at all without a charger). It's been pretty drat sluggish ever since the move to Android 7 (and 8 made it worse). AccuBattery was showing the battery was down to about 50% of its original capacity, and I don't think it was capable of factoring in the sudden power off when using the camera.

Friend took advantage of the Sprint deal on the Essential phone ($145 overall, no contract, you just pay off the phone the next day and boom, unlocked Essential phone - they fixed that glitch AFAIK).... 9 times, obviously to sell on eBay, and I'm kicking myself for not getting one then. He still had 2 left, and offered me one at a reasonable price (still giving him a healthy profit, but far below retail). I dig it so far. Vanilla Android, much faster, battery life seems pretty drat decent so far, call quality is much better (6P had an issue with the noise cancellation that basically made me use it on speakerphone all the time).

The 6P was a drat nice phone, just crippled by terrible battery management and a badly designed noise cancellation mic.

Funny enough, my work phone is a 2014 Moto X... that thing still has good battery life, sounds great when I make calls, still relatively quick, and overall just works. Sad that the 6P aged so poorly. Both are on stock firmware.

Larrymer posted:

So I should save this for the :argh: rant, then.

Pretty much. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 4, 2018

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bajaha posted:

poo poo on Sask all you want, Manitoba's quite nice :P Well, except around Winnipeg, but they're like Toronto - a black hole of suckishness :)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Found one of my balls was double the size it should be. Got a doctors appointment, found out it was a poo poo idea to let the battery in the a4 discharge/decide it would live a few more months in winter. Walked to the doctors. Got prodded a lot. Almost certainly not the big c, its just inflamed- probably from a hit to the nuts ages ago that didn't repair properly.

Check your delicate parts on the regular. I only noticed it doing a routine check, and it had the potential to be ball threatening before I would have noticed it otherwise.

Check your batteries too, mind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WpY2lxVovA

Glad your junk is mostly ok.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

As me one who has towed cars with legit breakdowns all the way to literally shells of cars with no engines or lights the stated fact is: if it is a registered vehicle that is intact AAA will tow it. If not then just be cool and ready to offer a $20 they get paid either way (tow truck driver). I’ve never had an issue and never had to pay anything.

It would be intact but not registered or plated.

I think I can coax it to run, just trying to have a plan B. This is one of those 'ran when parked' stories, but it's been a year and it "hasn't started since it got cold" and was "running a little rough the last time it ran." It hasn't moved in a year but it sounds like it was running around October-ish. So I'm thinking it's a flat battery and probably old gas, but I haven't seen it yet so who knows.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

DesperateDan posted:

I only noticed it doing a routine check

I don't know about you, but my check is routine enough that I'd notice within hours of something happening.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I don't know about you, but my check is routine enough that I'd notice within hours of something happening.

'Hours'? Not 'minutes'?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm not in my 20s anymore...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seminal Flu posted:

I know this is close to poly ticks, but god drat, Tesla... first they were promising Model 3 production of 5k/month by the end of 2017, now it's 2500 per week by the end of MARCH.

loving :lol:

So many people watching with their $1k deposits that they won't see a car for years and years.

It's actually way worse than that.

I'm still stoked for mine, but I'm on the wrong loving coast. :(

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CornHolio posted:

It would be intact but not registered or plated.

I think I can coax it to run, just trying to have a plan B. This is one of those 'ran when parked' stories, but it's been a year and it "hasn't started since it got cold" and was "running a little rough the last time it ran." It hasn't moved in a year but it sounds like it was running around October-ish. So I'm thinking it's a flat battery and probably old gas, but I haven't seen it yet so who knows.

You bought the Jeep.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Uh yeah not looking good for the northeast right now :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/948753856208322561

It's in the Atlantic north of the equator, how is it a cyclone instead of a hurricane? Or does cyclone mean something completely different in the little ocean than in the big one?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

It's in the Atlantic north of the equator, how is it a cyclone instead of a hurricane? Or does cyclone mean something completely different in the little ocean than in the big one?

It's a cyclone, not a Cyclone. The generic term just means any air mass rotating due to coriolis forces. That includes stuff like tornados, and big winter storms like this one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Enourmo posted:

It's a cyclone, not a Cyclone. The generic term just means any air mass rotating due to coriolis forces. That includes stuff like tornados, and big winter storms like this one.

So good of the weather people to use the same exact word for two different things. :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It's 5 years since I joined the working world and today is the first day I've had to take off due to illness.
Not had a cold that hit me so fast and hard in years.

I was shaking in bed last night until I finally fell asleep on my back (which I never do) and had a bizarre dream.
I was basically looking at my sleeping body but it was more like an RTS map of some sort of medieval game with various nodes all over me. I had to capture the nodes which took a while as they kept falling as I moved between them but eventually I was fighting the last person in the central node (at this point it zoomed in to first person). I fell down exhausted and couldn't move but a comrade kept insisting I moved to the node to the right. Eventually I moved there which made me turn over in the real world and I snapped awake no longer shivering.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
My wife was sick last weekend with some unknown ailment. Generally nauseous and a big headache. So of course, I'm traveling for work this week, slept like garbage last night, woke up with a headache and feeling nauseous. Oh fun!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally got my drat car back. Steering feels... about the same as before, it's bizarre. Never would have caught that failure. Exhaust is loving silent, though.

I kinda miss the noise. :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You bought the Jeep.

I technically haven't yet but I've got approval from my wife and told my friend I'd get it. So things are in motion.

It might be indicative of a mental problem, honestly.

Beverly Cleavage posted:

My wife was sick last weekend with some unknown ailment. Generally nauseous and a big headache. So of course, I'm traveling for work this week, slept like garbage last night, woke up with a headache and feeling nauseous. Oh fun!

I've felt generally nauseous all week. I was sick as poo poo last Sunday though, couldn't keep anything down, so I think I'm still recovering from whatever that was.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Check your delicate parts on the regular. I only noticed it doing a routine check, and it had the potential to be ball threatening before I would have noticed it otherwise.

A buddy of mine had like an inflamed/infected duct thing on one of his balls a few weeks ago. It was like the size of a softball and he had to sit/sleep on a donut pillow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

I technically haven't yet but I've got approval from my wife and told my friend I'd get it. So things are in motion.

It might be indicative of a mental problem, honestly.

GIMMIE

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

So if/when I get it, I will have:

A 2015 Ford Focus 5-speed (wife's. garage)
A 2016 Dodge Challenger 6-speed (mine, garage)
A 1997 Volvo 850 5-speed (sits outside, winter beater)
A 2000 Mazda B2500 5-speed (truck for truck things, sits in backyard)
A 1986 Porsche 944 5-speed (fun car, in storage right now but usually sits outside as well)
A ???? Jeep Cherokee automatic 4WD (I guess it'll also sit in the backyard?)

I live in an upscale neighborhood in my city but we don't have an HOA and there aren't any city ordinances against having vehicles in your yard, but I might become the reason those are created...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
See! You have all those nice things. You don't need a Jeep!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

See! You have all those nice things. You don't need a Jeep!

I really don't, honestly.

It could replace the Volvo as a winter beater, though, if it's in good enough shape.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

I really don't, honestly.

It could replace the Volvo as a winter beater, though, if it's in good enough shape.

Well lemme know if you decide you hate it. Unless it's a death trap.

• Locked thread