Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

People have stuff custom built all the time and they end up hating the result all the time. Cars, homes, decor, websites, logos, you name it. Kim and Kanye had a huge conflict over an expensive remodel that was presumably what they wanted but didn't agree on the results.

I've worked architecture for a while and tons of people have zero ability to visualize things before they are built and in front of them yet have very strong opinions on what they want because they saw something in a magazine or liked something else they saw in a totally different context. They build up these lists in their head of what they think they like, then micro-manage the design making sure these bullet-points are all addressed. The architect or designer will offer advice why this or that might not work out or look right, but the customer knows better and who knows what they want better than them selves???

Finally the thing gets built, and those cool steps down into a semi-sunken living room from the kitchen that the architect said would look awkward and make furniture placement difficult somehow didn't end up how they envisioned. The french provincial kitchen they demanded because they saw one in a magazine clashes with the modern living room full of underlit cabinets. The mudroom they demanded but the architect said there wasn't enough room for ends up feeling cramped and takes a bite out of another room which also now feels cramped, yet the huge "grand room" they demanded feels way too big.

They do not reflect on what the architect warned them about, they do not reflect on their own poor tastes, they get mad at their architect for loving up the design and complain to their friends that they were "hard to work with" and "wouldn't listen to what we wanted"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I'm the "build the house however you want, I don't really give a poo poo" guy that gets accused of not caring enough despite giving you free reign to do whatever.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
The me that started this house wanted a dolphin shaped faucet but the me of today wishes it was a horsehead faucet.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

new phone who dis posted:

I'm the "build the house however you want, I don't really give a poo poo" guy that gets accused of not caring enough despite giving you free reign to do whatever.

I know a lot of people would love this but tbh I would be really annoyed and upset if I heard this from an SO.

girl pants fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 4, 2018

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Also what do you guys want to bet that the house they built is a loving monstrosity? I'm going to go with "there is a 100% chance their house is loving terrible"

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

girl pants posted:

Also what do you guys want to bet that the house they built is a loving monstrosity? I'm going to go with "there is a 100% chance their house is loving terrible"

$5 there is a craft room somewhere in there that will become the "wine and silent crying" room.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The last one with the woman sobbing uncontrollably off camera slays me everytime.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

girl pants posted:

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

I will buy this off you

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

girl pants posted:

I know a lot of people would love this but tbh I would be really annoyed and upset if I heard this from an SO.

I feel like I may have been traumatized into this position.

Her: *holds up 3 almost identically shaded swatches* Which color of tan do you think would be best for the bathroom?

Me: *chooses one randomly*

Her: Oh my God! Really? I thought that was the ugliest one! Well, we're going to go with the one I picked but jeez I can't believe you picked that one!

Me: *Spends rest of day trying to determine if there's actually a difference between them or if I'm being Punk'd*

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pick posted:

We are all of the same species, and no distinction whatever is between us, except that which arises from fortune. For example, your footman and cook would be your equals were they as rich as you. Being poor they are obliged to serve you. Therefore, you must not add to their misfortunes by insulting or ill-treating them. If your situation is preferable to theirs, be thankful, without either despising them or being vain of your better fortune. You must, therefore, treat all your inferiors with affability and good manners, and not speak to them in a surly tone, nor with harsh expressions, as if they were of a different species. A good heart never reminds people of their inferiority, but endeavors to alleviate their misfortunes, and make them forget them.

I like this.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’m guessing it’s some unrelated issue surfacing rather than her realizing her dogfood homer-car of a house is terrible. Most people have too much cognitive dissonance and too little introspection to realize what they’ve created.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Maybe she just found McMansion Hell and realized that her two storey lawyer foyer entrance and heatsink great room with a gigantic TV over the decorative fireplace aren't as classy and timeless as she thought and she's unable to reconcile herself as a person with abysmal taste.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
My dentist always has that home and garden flip this house/keep it or sell it poo poo on and multiple times I've seen women break down crying because they hate something they completely micromanaged.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

La Brea Carpet posted:

$5 there is a craft room somewhere in there that will become the "wine and silent crying" room.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe they spent a fortune on an obsession with transparent floors only to realize they aren't very compatible with skirts/dresses and their relatives that visit all the time have their vertigo triggered by them and had to carpet them all over.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

this seems to directly contradict your other post

girl pants posted:

Honestly I wouldn't even build a house with another person in the Sims let alone in real life.

Like if you'd have an idea of what you wanted and would be worried that their input would end up leading to compromises that left you less than satisfied wouldn't it be better for everyone involved if they just left it up to you, particularly if they didn't really have any strong preferences in the first place?

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

this is pretty cool and I like it, where is it from?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
This is just another example of a relationships post that could have just attached some loving pictures so we can all laugh at them but for some reason they want to focus on the actual relationship aspects.

Assholes.

It's like that one woman with the gigantic gaudy ring that everyone called shallow until she posted the picture and was suddenly vindicated.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 4, 2018

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

this seems to directly contradict your other post

Like if you'd have an idea of what you wanted and would be worried that their input would end up leading to compromises that left you less than satisfied wouldn't it be better for everyone involved if they just left it up to you, particularly if they didn't really have any strong preferences in the first place?

No I just think if you're going to do something emblematic of the fact that the two of you are going to share the rest of your lives, like build a house together, it would be nice if the other person could muster up an opinion more considered than 'I don't care do whatever'. This doesn't extend to presenting somebody with three identical beige swatches and freaking the gently caress out when they can't really tell them apart, though.

Maybe not every post I make is meant to be 100% serious and consistent, hmm?

But for real though I invited a girl over to hang out once in the 7th grade and we almost killed each other over where to put the pool in the house we were building. POOLS DON'T GO IN THE FRONT YARD, KELLI

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As long as you dont put your walkin closet on the other side of your master bathroom youve already avoided the sort of fundamental gently caress up that keeps a home on the market for years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I keep my watches and accessories in my Walken closet.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Pick posted:

I keep my watches and accessories in my Walken closet.

It is natures backpack.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

What if her house was built in the groverhaus style

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Whatever the house equivalent is of smashing the randomize button on the character creation screen.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

No I just think if you're going to do something emblematic of the fact that the two of you are going to share the rest of your lives, like build a house together, it would be nice if the other person could muster up an opinion more considered than 'I don't care do whatever'. This doesn't extend to presenting somebody with three identical beige swatches and freaking the gently caress out when they can't really tell them apart, though.

Maybe not every post I make is meant to be 100% serious and consistent, hmm?

But for real though I invited a girl over to hang out once in the 7th grade and we almost killed each other over where to put the pool in the house we were building. POOLS DON'T GO IN THE FRONT YARD, KELLI

That makes sense but it seems like there's often gonna be a divide in priorities. In the post for example the dude seems to feel that even if the empty house isn't perfect they can make it a home together in how they furnish and live in it, which is probably how I would view things too. I honestly would not give two shits about the overall layout of a house (aside from maybe the kitchen) or the color of the carpet but I know my gf cares about stuff like which way her house is facing and natural lighting from excessive amounts of windows. Dude just sees the house itself as a functional thing and their own belongings as what will make it special to them.

Besides it does sound like he was there for the whole process.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

girl pants posted:

this is pretty cool and I like it, where is it from?

I just GISed weird houses

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

new phone who dis posted:

I feel like I may have been traumatized into this position.

Her: *holds up 3 almost identically shaded swatches* Which color of tan do you think would be best for the bathroom?

Me: *chooses one randomly*

Her: Oh my God! Really? I thought that was the ugliest one! Well, we're going to go with the one I picked but jeez I can't believe you picked that one!

Me: *Spends rest of day trying to determine if there's actually a difference between them or if I'm being Punk'd*

My husband and I have been together *checks watch* 14 years and I feel like we transcended to another phase of our relationship a few months ago when we had a color consultation before we got the house painted. It took an hour and a half, 20 minutes (combined) of that time was the consultant looking for the right swatchbook, and we would have been done in under an hour except at some point we both realized we weren't 100% happy with the color for the bedroom. It took another 15 minutes to fix that. It was so unlike any other experience I'd ever heard of any other couple having it reaffirmed my conclusion that I absolutely married the right guy.

I blame all of the home decorating sites like Apartment Therapy and also stuff like Pinterest with way the hell underselling how loving hard it is to make a house look good, and that's a house that's ALREADY BUILT. If I was laying out cash money to have a house built to my spec? drat straight I'd sit down with a bullet point list of dos and don'ts and then walk the gently caress away and be surprised with the result. There's a reason people go to school for that poo poo.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My uncle and his girlfriend built a huge house together. It was built exactly to their specs and my uncle poured his heart and soul into it. Then one month before it was finished, she bolted the relationship and he was stuck with a mortgage that he was planning on splitting. He still lives in the house over 10 years later, but it's waaaaay too big for just him, and he's way too obsessed with it to ever sell it. I can imagine that she was doubting their relationship the entire time, and then she finally snapped and left him when the reality was about to smack her in the face.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol living in a trashcan has never looked better

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Me and my wife have almost the exact same taste in most everything so that's always easy. Like we'll independently go to a gallery and both want to buy the same an art out of the hundreds there. The same chairs, the same table, the same paint, the same sofa, always on the exact same wavelength that way. My poor friend who got married recently though (well his poor wife really) realized that his tastes were "mid century pub and science fiction" and hers are "traditional suburban." They don't agree on much in that department unfortunately but she just sort of tolerates it and every now and then puts her foot down.

What's amazing though is when the compromise is that each one gets 100% control over different rooms and they end up going to some ridiculous extremes over their disagreements. So you'll go into the living room and it's a tacky "man cave" style thing with a harley davidson branded lazyboy and sports poo poo all over the wall, and then you'll see the bedroom looks like a 10 year old girl built her dream princess bedroom with everything in pinks and lace and frills and a small car sized mountain of designer pillows on every surface.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Baronjutter posted:

What's amazing though is when the compromise is that each one gets 100% control over different rooms and they end up going to some ridiculous extremes over their disagreements. So you'll go into the living room and it's a tacky "man cave" style thing with a harley davidson branded lazyboy and sports poo poo all over the wall, and then you'll see the bedroom looks like a 10 year old girl built her dream princess bedroom with everything in pinks and lace and frills and a small car sized mountain of designer pillows on every surface.
this sounds like a healthy relationship that will be broadcast weekly on cbs

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

hawowanlawow posted:

lol thinking trolling on the internet is funny is definitely not a sign of good mental health

I don't know. I very much appreciate Ken M.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Taxidermy takes up so much space in there can’t be a lot of compromise, at least not for the wall mounts. I mean, in my own apartment, there are really only two or three configurations that will allow me to put up the elk, the cape Buffalo, the moose, and the lion.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Me and my wife have almost the exact same taste in most everything so that's always easy.

My wife and I end up with a nice looking home decor, because we have to meet in the middle of our individual tastes that border on tacky at the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

lol thinking trolling on the internet is funny is definitely not a sign of good mental health
Nah, trolling is funny when done tastefully.

Bored posted:

I don't know. I very much appreciate Ken M.
Ken M: also good.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 4, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Pick posted:

Taxidermy takes up so much space in there can’t be a lot of compromise, at least not for the wall mounts. I mean, in my own apartment, there are really only two or three configurations that will allow me to put up the elk, the cape Buffalo, the moose, and the lion.

wow I finally know you're trolling now. Elk and moose as two distinct animals in NA :lol:.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

wow I finally know you're trolling now. Elk and moose as two distinct animals in NA :lol:.

Do people think they're the same animal?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Me and my wife have almost the exact same taste in most everything so that's always easy. Like we'll independently go to a gallery and both want to buy the same an art out of the hundreds there. The same chairs, the same table, the same paint, the same sofa, always on the exact same wavelength that way. My poor friend who got married recently though (well his poor wife really) realized that his tastes were "mid century pub and science fiction" and hers are "traditional suburban." They don't agree on much in that department unfortunately but she just sort of tolerates it and every now and then puts her foot down.

A friend of mines grandfather is obscenely wealthy and built a home in his tiny hometown on the coast of the medditerranean. His wife is obssessed with fairies and he allowed her to decorate this home entirely in her taste which can be best described as an edwardian nightmare of curved walls and fairy paintings.

In exchange he got to build a massive, fully functioning lighthouse from which he spends his days watching the towns fishermen go in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

girl pants posted:

Do people think they're the same animal?

got my continents wrong

Is it an elk? Is it a moose? If you’re in Sweden, the answer is “BOTH”! The iconic, majestic forest dweller Alces alces is known as a moose in North America (actually the sub-species Alces alces americana) and an elk in Europe. The word elk, like the Swedish word älg (pronounced /elj/), is taken from the Latin alces.