Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

These lil guys own, what series are they from?

PJ Masks... my kid is obsessed. It's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

zaurg posted:

JFC!!! Goons I need help. What can I say to my dad who is about to withdraw money out of his retirement account to put into crypto? He put 20k of savings into it LESS THAN A WEEK AGO and has seen it go up and today calls me convincing himself that it's silly to keep money in 401k/retirement "making only 10%". I want him to just be happy loving around with 20k into it. What reasons can I give him to settle the gently caress down
explain to him that he is investing in a commodity with less value than beanie babies and tulips

the commodity has less than no value. bitcoins have large negative value. every bitcoin transaction requires the weekly energy usage of an american household. this energy requirement will get worse over time.

the commodity has no practical use case and is useless as a currency for the following reasons:
  • a global transaction rate of 4/s that cannot meet the use case of a single sports stadium at peak time
  • giant transaction fees of > $20. for very large transactions, the fees scale in cost to the size of the transaction
  • requires the weekly energy usage of an american household per transaction. this only increases over time
  • transaction latency is measured in hours
  • not actually anonymous
  • the ecosystem is insecure
  • a hack completely wipes you out with no legal recourse
  • exchanges are wiped out regularly by alleged hacks
  • bitcoins will eventually completely collapse. people are going to stop running miners which are required to keep the system running because the bubble will pop and the mining costs just increase over time. miners will not be able to recoup their investments.

cryptocurrencies are currently poor as a purely speculative bubble investment because your shoeshiner is giving you cryptocurrency tips

if someone can't be convinced with those facts it is probably impossible to convince them

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQBLDLkSlps

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 4, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

the matrix was created to mine bitcoins

edit - gently caress yo edit

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"sharing economy"

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

the matrix was created to mine bitcoins

edit - gently caress yo edit

:wth:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Often Abbreviated posted:

it's hard keeping out when you see someone else doing so well right in front of you.

Yes, that's why bubbles always suck so many people in and why they crash so hard. It's a hard-wired human brain thing to go "hmm John my neighbour put in $10 and came out with $1000, surely I can put in $10k and come out with $100k, the bubble will CERTAINLY NOT crash on me, it will crash on someone else, I'm smart and I'll get in and get out like a graceful butterfly"

and maybe yes

but also maybe no

and you're not risking $10 like John.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

comedyblissoption posted:

explain to him that he is investing in a commodity with less value than beanie babies and tulips

the commodity has less than no value. bitcoins have large negative value. every bitcoin transaction requires the weekly energy usage of an american household. this energy requirement will get worse over time.

the commodity has no practical use case and is useless as a currency for the following reasons:
  • a global transaction rate of 4/s that cannot meet the use case of a single sports stadium at peak time
  • giant transaction fees of > $20. for very large transactions, the fees scale in cost to the size of the transaction
  • requires the weekly energy usage of an american household per transaction. this only increases over time
  • transaction latency is measured in hours
  • not actually anonymous
  • the ecosystem is insecure
  • a hack completely wipes you out with no legal recourse
  • exchanges are wiped out regularly by alleged hacks
  • bitcoins will eventually completely collapse. people are going to stop running miners which are required to keep the system running because the bubble will pop and the mining costs just increase over time. miners will not be able to recoup their investments.

cryptocurrencies are currently poor as a purely speculative bubble investment because your shoeshiner is giving you cryptocurrency tips

if someone can't be convinced with those facts it is probably impossible to convince them

Lol, you idiot, it says right there Bitcoin is worth 20,000USD!

... 14.... 11... 15....

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pochoclo posted:

Yes, that's why bubbles always suck so many people in and why they crash so hard. It's a hard-wired human brain thing to go "hmm John my neighbour put in $10 and came out with $1000, surely I can put in $10k and come out with $100k, the bubble will CERTAINLY NOT crash on me, it will crash on someone else, I'm smart and I'll get in and get out like a graceful butterfly"

and maybe yes

but also maybe no

just posted this one today to this effect tl;dr no money can come out that didn't go in

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

divabot posted:

just posted this one today to this effect tl;dr no money can come out that didn't go in

Less comes out than what goes in because all these predatory exchanges want them Feeeeeeeeeeeeees.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just caught up on this thread, 130+ pages, after I heard Bircoin took a hit.

Everything about Bitcoin today is so different than it was a few years ago. The “advantages” preached by true believers from back then are no longer true and now it’s not even a currency any longer. The entire thing feels like a new Star Wars trilogy, some things are familiar, some are new versions of the events of the past.

Are there still forums with small time businesses like the Silver Kid and petty scammers?

Edit: ^^^ like fees! Where did fees come from?!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ruggan posted:

but this has been a flaw for a long time, so who knows if the NSA or some other group has known about it for longer...

And of course they have

Dude I bet you some black hat figured it out in the 90s and has been lolling about it for years

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Pochoclo posted:

and maybe yes

but also maybe no

very true

Adar posted:

I've felt like it was going to be any week now the entire time I've been in and still think it's going to be soon, but it's not going to happen in the month before or in the first little while after Wall Street, which is either insanely long on BTC or staying away from it, pours all the money in the world on the pile. virtually every other time period is insanely risky but I pulled out my initial capital months ago so who cares

in fact, making insanely risky bets for a small enough fraction of your net worth in a bubble is possibly the biggest +EV life changing move you can make - while the bubble runs virtually everything you do will print money, so as long as you keep taking $ off the table and accept that you're going to lose most of the rest, the amount you take off should still be life changing if it lasts long enough

playing a game where you lose X 90% of the time and make 100X the rest should really be a no brainer for most people but vOv risk aversion

on the other hand this is also very true and most people reading this thread should've figured this out months ago

Adar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 4, 2018

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing that's mentioned quite a bit (including in divabot's most recent article) is "Oh if you just sold $1 million of Bitcoin the price would drop $8000" or something like that, making the market cap a useless metric. That's gotta be true about every company listed on a stock exchange too. We say the market cap of AMZN is $500b but that's at its current price of $1200. Is there a way to see how many shares you'd have to sell of AMZN to get the price down to $1000, for instance?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

CassandraZara posted:

One thing that's mentioned quite a bit (including in divabot's most recent article) is "Oh if you just sold $1 million of Bitcoin the price would drop $8000" or something like that, making the market cap a useless metric. That's gotta be true about every company listed on a stock exchange too. We say the market cap of AMZN is $500b but that's at its current price of $1200. Is there a way to see how many shares you'd have to sell of AMZN to get the price down to $1000, for instance?

yes, it's the depth of the order book

in actually popular shares, like amazon or apple, it'd take a LOT of shares to shift the price way up or down

penny stocks are the shitcoins of share trading and have volatility, thin order books and manipulability more like cryptos

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CassandraZara posted:

that's a fair counterpoint. a rebuttal would be that the market cap of beanie babies is materially different than the market cap of amazon stock.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

CassandraZara posted:

at this particular moment in time, cashing out $900,000 on GDAX would have dropped the price $1

cashing out six figures the other day raised the price $5 since all I did was put up some sell orders on an uptick and let the market catch up, which is what most people with decent but not overwhelming amounts should do

if I were cashing out 5 million and wanted to do it 'correctly' without affecting the market it would take a few hours, but for 5 million dollars you can work a lil' bit

there are OTC services and most exchanges have official dark pools that do larger amounts, as well

if you have 500 million and want to get rid of all of it, yes, you'll probably have an issue and dent the bubble for a day or two (pls give me some warning first tia)

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

but do you really believe that?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

zaurg posted:

If bitcoin could be used for anything it would be. I have a pretty solid understanding of why it's not useful (security, transaction limit), but those things deign in comparison to the fact that it's been around for 8 years and nobody is using it for anything other than speculation. This is with a devout fanbase trying to shoehorn it into everything. They just can't do it, it's not useful. It doesn't solve any problems in the real world except for black market transactions, and it was only useful for that when it had low volume and fees because nobody else was using it.

This is a separate conversation from whether some crypto will ever be useful for anything, but that doesn't even matter because your bitcoin won't become more useful if, e.g., Ripple becomes the new global currency (it won't).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

anyone posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErRj6V8_xQ

zaurg posted:

tulips and beanie babies ostensibly have some kind of scrap value

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

zaurg posted:

the biggest bitcoin maximalists in the world define the BTC use case as 'a store of value'

whatever it is, it's not a store of value

if you wanted to buy cryptocurrency for the tech, it would not be bitcoin

also, you're zaurg, so...please don't bet on cryptocurrency

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

If bitcoin could be used for anything it would be. I have a pretty solid understanding of why it's not useful (security, transaction limit), but those things deign in comparison to the fact that it's been around for 8 years and nobody is using it for anything other than speculation. This is with a devout fanbase trying to shoehorn it into everything. They just can't do it, it's not useful. It doesn't solve any problems in the real world except for black market transactions, and it was only useful for that when it had low volume and fees because nobody else was using it.

This is a separate conversation from whether some crypto will ever be useful for anything, but that doesn't even matter because your bitcoin won't become more useful if, e.g., Ripple becomes the new global currency (it won't).

Gotcha. Makes sense, how can anyone argue against that?

The separate conversation is really what I was thinking about. Couldn't one of these supposed "lightning fast, low transaction fees" cryptos become bigger than bitcoin one day and perhaps actually be used for something other than speculation? I guess it's a long shot. Just seems like there has to be something to come out of this.

zaurg fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 4, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

zaurg posted:

Gotcha. The separate conversation is really what I was thinking about. Couldn't one of these supposed "lightning fast, low transaction fees" cryptos become bigger than bitcoin one day and perhaps actually be used for something other than speculation? I guess it's a long shot. Just seems like there has to be something to come out of this.

the only use case over actual money is that they are exploiting loopholes to avoid taxes and fees that pertain to actual money

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bitcoin is not even useful for the black market because it is not anonymous

compromise a black market and then subpoena an exchange where users exchange bitcoins for fiat currency and you have a public ledger of their financial activity

tumbling is no panacea to cover your tracks. tumblers can be compromised by authorities as well.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Right, they are an expensive solution in search of a problem.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

the only use case over actual money is that they are exploiting loopholes to avoid taxes and fees that pertain to actual money

One of the big red flags that worries me is you have what APPEARS to be these shitcoins popping up all over the place that follow the same mold; Think of some wild idea while high, write out a cute whitepaper, make a pretty web site, get some peoples to buy in, do an ICO, have people like my dad throw thousands/millions of dollars into it, BOOM PROFIT. All on NOTHING. No product, nothing. Just some 2-3 year roadmap with a plan to develop something that seems highly unlikely.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

bitcoin is not even useful for the black market because it is not anonymous

compromise a black market and then subpoena an exchange where users exchange bitcoins for fiat currency and you have a public ledger of their financial activity

tumbling is no panacea to cover your tracks. tumblers can be compromised by authorities as well.

what about the cryptos that claim they are actually anonymous? are you not familiar with them or ignoring them? or are you saying they're not anonymous either. not talking about bitcoin.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

At least you can use wonderhangers to hang your clothes up with.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
there are certainly use cases for a distributed, trustless ledger

those use cases can be argued in a couple of years, sometime after every instance of such a ledger is no longer overvalued by a factor of 100 and long after people like zaurg take the first sentence to be a green light to dump money into v1.0 when it'll take until 4.0 at best for that to not be lighting money on fire

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

If cryptos are primarily used for small transactions on a small scale, i.e. drugs or microtransactions for international games, online poker, etc, I can see something like Ripple being useful. They will never take off to widespread institutional use because they are impossible to insure. That puts a pretty hard limit on their value IMO.

Andy Dufresne posted:

Imagine if you could clear out anyone's bank account in an untraceable way from across the world with nothing but their online banking password.

Imagine if you could clear out their entire bank's reserves with nothing but the bank manager's password.

Imagine how lucrative criminal enterprises to hack peoples' computers and steal passwords would become if the above two statements were true. There's no insurance and the police can't do anything about it.

In short this is why crypto can't work, even if they solve the scalability issues.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

zaurg posted:

what about the cryptos that claim they are actually anonymous? are you not familiar with them or ignoring them? or are you saying they're not anonymous either. not talking about bitcoin.
Bitcoin is extraordinarily lovely and has no practical use case in its current form.

Sure, you could imagine a scale-able cryptocurrency that doesn't fundamentally suck as a currency (ignoring security and legal issues). I have no idea if that actually exists yet. The entire ecosystem is a garbage fire right now and lol at trying to go through literally over 1,000 cryptocurrencies hyped with extreme ponzi propaganda to try to figure out what doesn't suck.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

zaurg posted:

The separate conversation is really what I was thinking about. Couldn't one of these supposed "lightning fast, low transaction fees" cryptos become bigger than bitcoin one day and perhaps actually be used for something other than speculation? I guess it's a long shot. Just seems like there has to be something to come out of this.

It's quite possible it will. It's also possible it won't. Don't forget that we have heard about AR, VR, and AI for a long time now (20-30 years) and they still haven't found a place where they are sufficiently useful.

It's very unlikely you could invest in it early. Why would a bank pick up a solution where others already own all the coins? In any case, this future coin or technology very likely doesn't exist today, and you can most likely only tell it has won 10 years after it already has.

Right now, the technology is struggling with extremely basic properties nobody wants and fundamental misconceptions repeated until "everybody" thinks them true (Bitcoin is not a distributed ledger, it's a replicated ledger: everybody has a full copy of everything, there is no limit on Bitcoins: there's just a current consensus not to ever mine more than 23 million, but no guarantee that doesn't change in the future).

Friendster and MySpace are forgotten for Facebook today, as are Yahoo and Altavista for Google, Motorola and Nokia for Apple and Samsung. The first mover will most likely not win long term.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wide stance posted:

That's normal. The few unlucky people who got their transfer hosed up are burning the place down as to be expected.

The 99.9% of people who don't have this happen aren't going to post about it, just moved on with life.
What is your opinion on the army moving towards Baghdad, my friend?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

that's a fair counterpoint. a rebuttal would be that the market cap of beanie babies is materially different than the market cap of amazon stock.

I don't think so. What's true is that market cap is a bullshit metric for anything except for talking about an asset's value on the open market, and that's true whether you're talking about cryptocurrency or stocks. It doesn't tell you how much it costs to buy out that asset, how much money was pumped into the asset (a common mistake made by cryptocurrency "gurus"), likely future earnings, the legitimacy or trustworthiness of the investment, or anything like that. You can use it to refer to the overall value of a cryptocurrency or stock, but that's about it.

But the second part of your post does apply. Amazon is a huge business, and it gives value to its shares by making shitloads of money. Bitcoin doesn't make money; it loses it, perpetually, by design, to the giant pyre of mining.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It's kind-of a fair point. Back a decade ago, Microsoft invested $250M in Facebook, giving it a valuation of $15B. That was ridiculous at the time but turned out to make some sense.

An important difference is that for stocks, you also have an inner value (the actual value of assets like buildings and immaterial bullshit like goodwill and brand recognition) plus an earning potential. For butts, both of these are zero (or negative earning counting energy pumped into mining).

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Adar posted:

there are certainly use cases for a distributed, trustless ledger
like what? one of the main lessons of bitcoin seems to be that despite whatever you want to believe, you always have to trust things:

- yourself, to remember secrets
- yourself, not to gently caress up transactions
- your computer, not to be compromised
- your bitcoin software, to be accurate and benign
- other people, that they will interpret the information stored in the ledger the same way as you do (!!!)

forget trustless being better, I submit that it's not even a thing

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

I love finding obscure bitcoin stuff like this.

Bounty for information leading to arrest of EtherDelta hacker.

quote:

Dec 27, 2017 - Feb 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/TommyWorldPower
I am placing a $100,000 bounty (payable in any major crypto), for information or efforts leading to the arrest and prosecution of the Etherdelta hacker and return of my funds. If anyone knows who it is, we can keep your identity secret.

Here are addresses associated with the hacker:

- https://etherscan.io/address/0xf5bec430576ff1b82e44ddb5a1c93f6f9d0884f3

- https://etherscan.io/address/0x60f279bbb8108f4c9726824307182c2bf32090d6

I have seen other addresses also, such as "Fake_Phishing305" label on etherscan.io, but this is a start.

Note I have already contacted Binance and had the hackers account frozen there, they are already investigating that, but perhaps there are more exchanges or links that can be drawn... or perhaps the hacker slipped up somewhere else.

source: https://alpha.bounty0x.io/bounty/4528

Also totally unrelated but I searched bitcoin on that same bounty site for more nuggets. Here you can promote our altcoin in your forum signature to get shares in our altcoin!

COTI Bitcointalk Signature Bounty

quote:

Bounty Description:
Participators will receive a reward for every post they make while carrying the COTI signature. Links to these posts need to be submitted on Bounty0x.io.

Available Signature bounty rewards:
25 % or $58.13k worth of COTI tokens

Requirements
TBD

Rewards:
At the end of the campaign, we will check how many posts a hunter has made and will reward its maker accordingly.

Junior members: 2 signature_stakes per post
Members: 5 signature_stakes per post
Full members: 10 signature_stakes per post
Senior members: 20 signature_stakes per post
Hero/Legendary members: 40 signature_stakes per post
For list of signatures see here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14od-aYgViBJAASGmTLwCbfhbkSIE1ktsa-RPfleBO2g/edit

source: https://alpha.bounty0x.io/bounty/8

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

There is definitely a use case for some kind of intra-industry "SettleCoin" that could be used to instantly settle a wide variety of poo poo that these days takes T+2 or T+3 due to agent banks having to settle local currency via whatever local system. However there's been an industry-wide push to reduce settlement cycles since before crypto was ever a thing, so it's not like blockchain is some gift from Satoshi/God. Securities and OTC settlements can be quite complex and the actual payment component of that is just one piece. I think UBS has already proposed such a coin.

BUT there's no way that any company would use a crypto that's currently out there for this purpose. It would have to be something completely unrelated, and likely not accessible to consumers at all.

Blockchain is a different story. There's a use case for shared ledgers in industry but given everything that's gone wrong with Bitcoin hacks and immutable contracts, do you really think they'd leave it accessible to the public? In which case you're talking about permission-based access and from that point it gets hard to justify a blockchain versus just a shared database. We already have the latter for the interest rate swap market for example, trades that are mutually affirmed on Swapswire are legally binding. Most companies as a result use it as their golden source for trade/contract data. What's the benefit of opening that up to more security concerns and making it impossible to change, even if both parties agree to do so? I can't see one.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Novo posted:

like what? one of the main lessons of bitcoin seems to be that despite whatever you want to believe, you always have to trust things:

- yourself, to remember secrets
- yourself, not to gently caress up transactions
- your computer, not to be compromised
- your bitcoin software, to be accurate and benign
- other people, that they will interpret the information stored in the ledger the same way as you do (!!!)

forget trustless being better, I submit that it's not even a thing

You're making the connection "trustless ledger" -> "buttcoin-like."

That's not correct. A ledger does not have to transfer money. It's just an immutable log. Git is largely a trustless distributed ledger and works wonders for software development. It's even actually distributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Party Boat posted:

Has he actually cashed out yet because otherwise his savings have gone from £7,000 to £0

He actually hasn't. I've been telling him to take his winnings and leave the table but he thinks it's still gonna go up another 20x. I'm torn whether to wish him well, knock his head or buy in myself.