Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

so star citizen, the 'game' that exists, is a bunch of assets poorly imported into the demo crytek made 5 years ago right?

every time i find something out about how they make the game it amazes me. just all the travails they've had with getting single ships to not lag the servers out. it's crazy. they make design and coding mistakes that like, amateur modders don't make in other games.

This is a good summary of 2017. 2012-2017 actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

Ferrero rochers are poo poo chocolates in pretty packaging that takes up too much room in the bin for what you get. Not even the plastic box is good for anything, gently caress ferreros

I hope Ben enjoys them

My mom likes them. They are pretty good at being "luxurious" chocolate, so people enjoy them as gifts and you don't spend much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait, I actually remember that! It wasn't exactly for no reason. I made a sarcastic reply to one of his comments in the TRUMP thread and he accused me of being sarcastic because he made fun of my best friend Derek.

Although it's true Derek and I have brunch every other Sunday, we've sort of grown apart over the years, so I'm not sure best friend is still applicable. Also, I was posting sarcastically in CSPAM because uh....lol

How many times have you probated Derek "Go gently caress yourself" Smart?!

The proof is in the pudding :tinfoil: and Ben ate it

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

Please stop doing this.

Turn on your monitor.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

where do i find this?

I'm assuming it was a workshop download, but I'll be buggered if I can find out which.

310 hours. I should be calling it a bad game by now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLastRoboKy posted:

This is genuinely my favourite post of all posts. God bless you.

Don't doxxx the currency Chris makes them use.

Its the only way to make it aound lile they still have a shitload of cash.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Always assume Im fat fingering a phone and im too drat lazy to edit my posts.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/948962887841861632

https://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/compare.aspx?firms=3851,28007

(the ranking # is the amount of times they rank, not where they rank on a comprehensive list).

I guess this means they're hoping to settle? Don't need a big shot lawyer to write out a big cheque

I'm sad bunnyman will never have his day in court

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Berious posted:

I guess this means they're hoping to settle? Don't need a big shot lawyer to write out a big cheque

I'm sad bunnyman will never have his day in court

If it is about Crytek wanting to recoup their losses from their name being swept under the rug by CIG and their engineers also getting poached, then this does seem likely.

But if it really is personal, the way DS keeps hyping up, then lolno. Dis gun be gud.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Would it blow their minds if someone conceded that an innovative mega-budget indie game is theoretically possible and perhaps even worthy of support, but that the idiots at Clownshoes Incompetent Games might not be the studio to bet on pulling it off?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if this is only one legal horseman of the apocalypse, i cannot wait for the other three to arrive

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Wow, I can't believe that in tyool 2018 reddit still gets THAT MAD about the mere suggestion that a video game should have more brown people.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Hey bootcha, just wanted to say, thanks for slightly pointing out Lancer's Reactor when fans wanted more and more of freelancer, because it just wasn't there. I was one of those people just basking in the mod community because we straight up wanted more.

I spent an unhealthy amount of time in the Freelancer modding community, Chris Roberts indirectly ruined my life

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hey bootcha, just wanted to say, thanks for slightly pointing out Lancer's Reactor when fans wanted more and more of freelancer, because it just wasn't there. I was one of those people just basking in the mod community because we straight up wanted more.

I spent an unhealthy amount of time in the Freelancer modding community, Chris Roberts indirectly ruined my life

I too spent an unhealthy amount on Lancer Reactor.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Fun Bootcha Fact:

I spent an unhealthy amount of time back in the ye olde days of Quake Movies. Before the term "Machinima" was invented by that guy from Strange Company. Also well before the Machinima youtube thing turned into the dictatorship it is now.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Probably already covered at some point but I just happened across this article from April 2014 for an unrelated reason and found some interesting bits:

quote:

Roberts sided with Luckey, explaining that the reason why he likes PC gaming is that he wants to have the best experience possible, and the ever changing hardware actually helps him do things he couldn’t do before, without waiting six or seven year-long cycles of a console.

He actually wants to be in his basement or in his office with the most powerful machine possible, having the best immersion, so he’s always quite skeptical of cloud experiences with their latency issues, and especially about remote cloud rendering for gaming.
(...)
Roberts continued by saying that Microsoft has been a sort of “gater” on performance on PC, so he’s happy about the movement with Mantle and now DirectX 12, that allow you to actually make full use the hardware you have, since it’s very frustrating to have a really powerful PC and not use it fully like you do on a console, because the operating system gates resources away.
(...)
Chris Roberts interjected mentioning that Star Citizen is going to support Linux, and all the servers run on Linux too, so it’s a natural transition, but he still thinks that Windows is going to be the dominant OS, and the big challenge is to design games to properly utilize multiple cores, and that’s also an advantage coming with Mantle and DX12. That’s why he doesn’t mind “rubblerousing” a bit with Microsoft to convince them that there isn’t just Xbox, as he feels that they got a lot more money from PC gaming over the years. That’s why they should make sure that people want to be on Windows and don’t go on other platforms.
Developers Explain That PC Gaming Has Never Been Stronger; 24 Billion Dollars Yearly Revenue Estimated

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bootcha posted:

I too spent an unhealthy amount on Lancer Reactor.

Best freelancer mod was open1.1 skip the campaign and all the terrible cutscenes.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

bandaid.friend posted:

Ferrero rochers are poo poo chocolates in pretty packaging that takes up too much room in the bin for what you get. Not even the plastic box is good for anything, gently caress ferreros

I hope Ben enjoys them

I haven't been this upset at a post since Derek admitted to liking pineapple on pizza.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

DuckDynasty posted:

Anyone want to start bets on which of these attorneys respond on behalf of CIG/RSI?

http://fkks.com/attorneys

Take your picks...

Nice call!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I was wondering what Chinese gamers think about Star Citizen so I found quite a popular "ask" thread with someone wondering how people view the game. Here's a quick and dirty translation of the most recent reply (from a month ago). I don't think i quite understand the final line but it's funny anyway.

3.0ptu,pu最快也要2018年3月,比预期晚了1年哟,42中队干脆没有时间表了.目前bug横飞,蜻蜓启动就翻车,无限撞地,各种花式穿模,天鹰座根本就是仙女座,舰载的p52还是不能用,克拉克修了快3年了毛都没有。虽说是阿尔法,但你折腾了这么久(5年了)就出这个糊弄人咩,连个游戏框架都没整天折腾什么人物在斜面上的站姿,谁特么在乎这个啊…

3.0 ptu, pu will be out by March 2018 at the earliest, one year later than predicted…Squadron 42 [release] doesn’t even have a timeframe. At the moment bugs are everywhere, the dragonfly tips over as soon as you start it and infinitely runs into the ground, there’s all kinds of clipping issues , the Aquila is just the Andromeda, the carrier-based p52 is still unusable, the Carrack has been worked on for 3 years, and there's gently caress-all to show for it. Although you can say it’s an alpha, but you’ve been fiddling around so long (five years now) and all you have is this to scam people, there isn’t even the framework of a game and you spend all day worrying about character models standing on an inclined plane, who gives a gently caress…?

https://www.zhihu.com/question/28399360

DuckDynasty
Sep 23, 2015

Mr.Tophat posted:

Nice call!

Thanks!

DuckDynasty fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 5, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rabelais D posted:

I was wondering what Chinese gamers think about Star Citizen so I found quite a popular "ask" thread with someone wondering how people view the game. Here's a quick and dirty translation of the most recent reply (from a month ago). I don't think i quite understand the final line but it's funny anyway.

3.0ptu,pu最快也要2018年3月,比预期晚了1年哟,42中队干脆没有时间表了.目前bug横飞,蜻蜓启动就翻车,无限撞地,各种花式穿模,天鹰座根本就是仙女座,舰载的p52还是不能用,克拉克修了快3年了毛都没有。虽说是阿尔法,但你折腾了这么久(5年了)就出这个糊弄人咩,连个游戏框架都没整天折腾什么人物在斜面上的站姿,谁特么在乎这个啊…

3.0 ptu, pu will be out by March 2018 at the earliest, one year later than predicted…Squadron 42 [release] doesn’t even have a timeframe. At the moment bugs are everywhere, the dragonfly tips over as soon as you start it and infinitely runs into the ground, there’s all kinds of clipping issues , the Aquila is just the Andromeda, the carrier-based p52 is still unusable, the Carrack has been worked on for 3 years, and there's gently caress-all to show for it. Although you can say it’s an alpha, but you’ve been fiddling around so long (five years now) and all you have is this to scam people, there isn’t even the framework of a game and you spend all day worrying about character models standing on an inclined plane, who gives a gently caress…?

https://www.zhihu.com/question/28399360

someone post that chinese robert need more gold cake

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Blue On Blue posted:

The funding tracker must have gotten lost somewhere during all the website revisions

Ben will post reassuring everyone he is looking into

All signs point to Ben being currently unemployed.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://i.imgur.com/s6dNobO.mp4

if the crobblers made the matrix

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

After months of stuff happening, it's going to be brutally boring for a while.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Best freelancer mod was open1.1 skip the campaign and all the terrible cutscenes.

TIE Universe, my friend.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Ramadu posted:

https://i.imgur.com/s6dNobO.mp4

if the crobblers made the matrix

"He's starting to refactor," Morpheus says with aplomb

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AbstractNapper posted:

Probably already covered at some point but I just happened across this article from April 2014 for an unrelated reason and found some interesting bits:

Developers Explain That PC Gaming Has Never Been Stronger; 24 Billion Dollars Yearly Revenue Estimated
Is this also written by Roberts, because it has the same sort of ouroboros statements that his hands distract you from while his brain is thinking of new lies.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I get that winters are cold but they're all in sweaters. Even the ones sitting next to a heater. Crobbler forget to pay a heating bill?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Sedisp posted:

I get that winters are cold but they're all in sweaters. Even the ones sitting next to a heater. Crobbler forget to pay a heating bill?

Chris Roberts simply told the truth to his lawyers and in doing so hell has frozen over

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Thoatse posted:

How many wars would a warlord lord if a warlord would lord wars

These and many more questions will be answered in the upcoming TV series "2 Weeks", starring Sarah Sutherland.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Forsheit/status/943680268916920320

"Who signed this new client? He keeps waving his loving hands at me."

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

AP posted:

"Who signed this new client? He keeps waving his loving hands at me."

"New client? Oh, Chris programs that personally, talk to him."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Shadowtech_EN/status/949242575633944576

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MacOS X is Unix. Linux is kinda Unix. Linux version confirmed. Checkmate, goonies!

e: Oh...wait, they only said "on a Mac", not "on MacOS X".

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Yawn.

https://lg.io/2015/07/05/revised-and-much-faster-run-your-own-highend-cloud-gaming-service-on-ec2.html

How much does shadowbox run for?

quote:

Costs

Believe it or not, it’s actually not that expensive to play games this way. Although you could potentially save moneys by streaming all your games, cost savings isn’t really the primary purpose. Craziness is, of course. :)

$0.11/hr Spot instance of a g2.2xlarge
$0.41/hr Streaming 10mbit at $0.09/GB
$0.01/hr EBS storage for 35GB OS drive ($3.50/mo)

You’re looking at $0.53/hr to play games this way. Not too bad. That’s around 1850 hours of gaming for the cost of a $1000 gaming PC. Note that prices vary for different datacenters.

I've tried it and it works. I wouldn't recommend unless you really travel a whole ton.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 5, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ah, that's what shadow is! I red something about it in regard to future console version and wether a similar approach makes sense, but didn't remember the term "shadow" in that regard.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BobHoward posted:

So the funny thing about seeing commandos pinning so many hopes on subsumption, while claiming SC is never-done-before cutting edge stuff, is that subsumption is something I first learned about during an undergrad robotics project course.

That was about 20 years ago. And it had already been around for some time when I read about it, because it wasn’t new material you had to scour just-published papers for, it was in the class textbook.

Subsumption AI research was about building swarms of individually-stupid micro-robots that would collaborate to accomplish some slightly complex task by mimicing a computer scientist’s understanding of how individual ants work together in an ant colony. Each ant-bot was programmed with a set of several primitive, simple behaviors. The idea is that only one of those canned behaviors gets to control the bot at a time; selection of the active behavior loop was determined by sensory feedback and comm messages from other nearby bots. Inactive behaviors are ‘subsumed’ beneath the active one, hence the name.

They used this concept to successfully do things vaguely similar to an ant colony. Let the worker bots roam free in a little environment, and some of them would fall into gathering behaviors to move “food” (crumpled up balls of aluminum foil) to a staging area while others settled into moving it from the staging area into the “nest” for storage. Stuff like that.

The theme was trying to make simple individual rules create more complex, emergent herd behavior, and it was all MIT Media Lab as gently caress, that being the lab which invented it. For those not in the know, MIT’s Media Lab is an academic compsci research lab which gets a disproportionate amount of publicity and funding due to a combo of friends in very high places and a focus on doing wacky, press friendly things.

So that’s the revolutionary AI tech which is going to make SC NPCs behave in a super fidelitous lifelike fashion: something invented a quarter century ago as a crude way of emulating ant brains. But not real ant brains, ant brains as understood by a bunch of compsci grad students and/or profs whose grasp of insect behavior was probably poor. And (so far as I can tell) this super advanced thing has not seen much use outside of pie in the sky academic research, because most real world robots are automated welders and CNC milling machines which just need to mindlessly repeat a control program over and over.

On that last point, don’t get me wrong. It’s cool and good to spend a little bit of society’s wealth on goofy stuff that has no immediate use irl, and you are always going to have to accept that some of it won’t have any use ever because it’s tricky to figure out which is which ahead of time. It’s just - lol no, cultists, subsumption is not gonna make the game good (or a game). It’s not the right way to make NPCs behave like people, or in a way that is fun to interact with.

It’s also easy to guess how this idea became a big thing at CIG. Junior grade AI programmer is told to figure out how to make lifelike NPCs, finds this One Weird Trick that seems to make cool stuff happen out of extremely simple base rules, doesn’t realize that maybe it’s not quite so easy to make it generate convincing human behavior or that those apparently simple rules may have needed a ton of tweaking to get right, sells it to Chris, and pretty soon it’s on the list of gee whiz material used to milk whales.
Thanks for this informative post!
:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

current site footer:

new site footer:

Not seeing the funding chart.... :jackbud:

"Single player campaign"

Lawsuit defeated! Take that Skadden! Ortwin does it again :smuggo: