Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

I guess we have different definitions of "really lovely bigoted things" because it seemed like he was poking fun at something in the same way he would anything else to me.

Love 2 poke fun at minorities who are routinely murdered for being minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The_Rob posted:

All of those people are extremely talented comedians though. None of them are really my kind of humor but they are super skilled respected comedians.

Nobody respects Dane cook or Larry the Cable Guy

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is Primer an actual good movie, or is it just a bunch of pretentious nerd wankery?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is Primer an actual good movie, or is it just a bunch of pretentious nerd wankery?

There's actually very little nerd wankery in it. Or, it's probably more accurate to say that you can inject as much nerd wankery into it as you want, or just enjoy it for what it is.

That said, it's very slow paced and obviously it's a micro-budget indie, so don't expect any expensive special effects.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It’s not pretentious. You can tell that Carruth was actually an engineer based on the vibe of the two main guys discussing their discovery. The acting isn’t great, but the movie was made for something like 10k, so it’s really just impressive how much of a mood he created.

I wish the last third held up for me, it’s not the narrative complexity but the fact you can’t really track the emotional arc of the characters very well. They also put a lot of eggs into the basket of stressing a particular event they’re trying to change that felt tonally weird to me. Without giving too much away.

But I love the very very end, and it’s like 85 minutes so have at it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

This thread got me to watch Brawl in Cell Block 99. I did not expect the titular Brawl to happen almost 2 hours in to a 2 hour and 15 minute movie. Nor it to take an hour to even get to a prison. This was not a good movie, and could have been 45 minutes shorter, but I enjoyed turning off my brain and watching it well enough.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I wish I had paused Primer in the middle to look up a guide to the plot because I was thoroughly confused until I read up on it later. Once I understood how the time travel was being used, I found it pretty interesting.

Also it's a "mumblecore" film so just know that going in.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Basebf555 posted:

it's a micro-budget indie, so don't expect any expensive special effects.

What are you talking about, it's not like the time machine is a big cardboard box covered in wires and a space blanket or something.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I love the weird, lo-fi camera screens and metal box they use for the egg they’re testing, putting in the watch...so cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wa27 posted:

I wish I had paused Primer in the middle to look up a guide to the plot because I was thoroughly confused until I read up on it later. Once I understood how the time travel was being used, I found it pretty interesting.

Also it's a "mumblecore" film so just know that going in.

I watched it when it first came out and was loving baffled. Now that smartphones are a thing I might give it another go with a guide handy.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Primer is one of the few movies that I can come back to every year for a rewatch and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time. The wife loving hates it.

Also, I'm dying for Carruth to write/direct another film, after I also thoroughly enjoyed Upstream Color, for far different reasons. I'm hoping that he's working towards a trilogy in which Primer is the left brain film, UC is the right brain film, and the threequel will be the corpus callosum or something.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It's not really pretentious, but it does feel extremely bland. Felt more like a warm up for Upstream Color, which is worth everyone's time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Primer is one of the few movies that I can come back to every year for a rewatch and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time. The wife loving hates it.

Also, I'm dying for Carruth to write/direct another film, after I also thoroughly enjoyed Upstream Color, for far different reasons. I'm hoping that he's working towards a trilogy in which Primer is the left brain film, UC is the right brain film, and the threequel will be the corpus callosum or something.

Carruth seems like the type that did his two low-budget hits, so now the studio will tap him to direct some giant blockbuster piece of poo poo that will destroy his career. Hopefully he'll be smart enough to avoid that.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I'm like halfway through the first episode of Jean-Claude Van Johnson and this poo poo is incredible. I dunno if it hits as hard for someone who isn't a fan of old JCVD movies, but goddamn. It's good to see JC again, and his sense of humor about himself just elevates it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Kyle Hyde posted:

I'm like halfway through the first episode of Jean-Claude Van Johnson and this poo poo is incredible. I dunno if it hits as hard for someone who isn't a fan of old JCVD movies, but goddamn. It's good to see JC again, and his sense of humor about himself just elevates it.

I've never watched old JCVD films, and it's still pretty funny. All that's really required is a basic knowledge of action movie tropes.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Paper Kaiju posted:

I've never watched old JCVD films, and it's still pretty funny. All that's really required is a basic knowledge of action movie tropes.

That's good to know, because I'm gonna be recommending it to everyone I know.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Between Primer and Upstream Color, Carruth tried and failed to raise millions of dollars to fund A Topiary. Now, he's in the midst of raising money for The Modern Ocean with a bunch of name actors attached, but for the moment, that project seems to be in limbo as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kyle Hyde posted:

It's really, really drat good my dude.

Coaaab posted:

Between Primer and Upstream Color, Carruth tried and failed to raise millions of dollars to fund A Topiary. Now, he's in the midst of raising money for The Modern Ocean with a bunch of name actors attached, but for the moment, that project seems to be in limbo as well.

man this makes me sad because Upstream Color is easily one of the best films i've ever seen, it's legitimately up there with Kurosawa's Dreams

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Devilman crybaby on Netflix rules. And is as exploitive and violent as an adaptation of Devilman should be. Also it's so loving stylish.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I liked Primer a lot but I couldn’t even finish Upstream Color...

Anybody here seen Lars von Trier’s Riget? (Currently on Shudder) It’s not really grabbing me after two episodes and I’m not sure if it’s going to drastically change or not. I can see why people compare it to Twin Peaks but I don’t think it’s nearly as compelling; I don’t find it spooky in the same way and the humor is really not landing for me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
neo yokio might be the ONLY good anime gently caress the haters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJr28TV0RU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna give it a rewatch I fell asleep immediately last time and skipped the whole series

I don’t like that much anime but I like the weird stuff like flcl so maybe I’ll like this

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m gonna give it a rewatch I fell asleep immediately last time and skipped the whole series

I don’t like that much anime but I like the weird stuff like flcl so maybe I’ll like this

Watch Devilman crybaby. If you like weird crazy stuff you'll enjoy it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that sounds bad and not about fashion

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Paper Kaiju posted:

Watching Timecop would help a bit. There are specific callbacks to that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

david_a posted:

I liked Primer a lot but I couldn’t even finish Upstream Color...

Anybody here seen Lars von Trier’s Riget? (Currently on Shudder) It’s not really grabbing me after two episodes and I’m not sure if it’s going to drastically change or not. I can see why people compare it to Twin Peaks but I don’t think it’s nearly as compelling; I don’t find it spooky in the same way and the humor is really not landing for me.

I'm not such a fan of it either. It does get interesting occasionally but like Twin Peaks Season 2 focuses a lot on inane soap opera crap, so it feels very dated. The end of episode send offs are brilliant though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A MIRACLE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxpd2cokb8

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Man, everyone should watch the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie on Netflix, up through to the public hanging scene. They make a whole bunch of accidental groping jokes that a year ago probably seemed innocent, but now are super off-putting. It's really uncomfortable, like watching a modern day Song of the South.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I had a go at Origin Wars (it goes by some different/longer but much wankier titles too), decent "background" action sci-fi movie that you don't need to pay too much attention to.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I binged the whole season of The End of the loving World last night...and it was way better than I expected it to be. Everything about it seemed perfectly put together, and I appreciated the tight ~20 minute episodes. The two main actors were great, but the music choices and the cinematography were the stars for me.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I started off not really feeling Brawl in Cell Block 99 but by the end I was having fun and was glad I stuck with it. Lots of the dialog in the beginning was pretty clunky and un-natural and amateurish (e.g. when he finds his wife chopping vegetables and says "what are you doing, you could hurt yourself" are we supposed to believe five months into her pregnancy that this is the first time she's ever cooked anything? Or the cutesy dialog about the pool room.) stuff like that, where it feels like a couple more passes at the script could have smoothed a lot of that stuff out.

The overly long setup to get him in jail could have been tightened up as well.

It also bothered me that all the prison guards were carrying guns all over the place. It's certainly not a realistic movie otherwise but everyone knows prison guards don't carry guns around like that and it doesn't add anything to the story or the fight scenes. Or maybe they could have just saved them for Don Johnson and the crazy jail and not had them in the more realistic first jail.

Overall I liked it but it has major script issues that really ham-string the movie and should have been fine tuned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where is it streaming?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

veni veni veni posted:

Where is it streaming?

Amazon Prime

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dave whining about LGBT people on the basis of them not having suffered as much as black people is the most mindboggling misguided dumbshit stuff. "they deserve dignity...blahblahblah but LOL they gross yucky." then it's like, "Since when has america cared about how ANY of us feel" yeah, that's what we're trying to change.

I tried bill nye and NDT's Cosmos and neither really stuck. Come back Carl Sagan :(

glad I discovered Neo Yokio, I haven't had this much fun with silly anime since high school

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dave whining about LGBT people on the basis of them not having suffered as much as black people is the most mindboggling misguided dumbshit stuff. "they deserve dignity...blahblahblah but LOL they gross yucky." then it's like, "Since when has america cared about how ANY of us feel" yeah, that's what we're trying to change.

What show are you talking about?

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 6, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What show are you talking about?
Dave Chappelle's new special
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/1/4/16847088/dave-chappelle-netflix-specials-social-issues

I like that he punches down like a motherfucker with the transgender (also ignoring the existence of black trans people) while saying the Deplorables he saw seemed like decent just misguided people

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 6, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i liked his hot take that gay men are polite and have good posture

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Amazon Prime

Word. Thanks

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FYI, JustWatch is great for this. Tells you what movies are available on what services and for how much. It's a lifesaver if you're looking for a specific film. And if it's not on streaming it can direct you to which service it's cheapest and best quality on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dave Chappelle's new special
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/1/4/16847088/dave-chappelle-netflix-specials-social-issues

I like that he punches down like a motherfucker with the transgender (also ignoring the existence of black trans people) while saying the Deplorables he saw seemed like decent just misguided people

The best was when he was like "yeah, black men treat black women like poo poo... but at least they got our back!"

Fuuuuuuuck you, buddy.

Also, him ending both specials with poo poo from Chicago that's pretty much common knowledge (at least if you're from the city), that poo poo had me thinking get my town's name out your mouth, you loving goofy.