Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

:negative: There's no way I could have known that was coming

I'm at *least* as original as Chris Roberts.

**Edit for the taxman**

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

hot balls man no homo posted:

It was destroyed when that water main broke that delayed the holiday stream by 24hrs.

That was a very hypothetical water main that was telling people they assume too much.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG shifting their business model to going after big spenders could be a real game changer.

Pretend I made this post back in 2012 or something.

Necroing this awesome post from 2012 where Dusty Lens totally called it way back when.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

Obligatory comment about calling it after it happened.

Whale goes in, nothing comes out. Moma can't explain that.

That’s Chef Chris’ specialty, a nothingburger served whale done.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

That’s Chef Chris’ specialty, a nothingburger served whale done.

I am furious and I cannot stop giggling

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How loving insane do you have to be to sell tours of a game dev studio that has never released a loving game for the loving ridiculous price of $350 a pop. Yeah, great idea Sandi. You’re a real fuckin’ marketing genius.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

How loving insane do you have to be to sell tours of a game dev studio that has never released a loving game for the loving ridiculous price of $350 a pop. Yeah, great idea Sandi. You’re a real fuckin’ marketing genius.

They're gonna sell out in minutes, calling it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

They're gonna sell out in minutes, calling it

I'm calling it that your right

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gosts posted:

My magnum opus is done

This was good info and I felt like it was almost funny but didn’t quite make it there. Great job on effort and thoughtfulness though! :golfclap:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Taintrunner posted:

Not very insane really. You just need to be an opportunist. The better question is how insane your audience is that this sounds reasonable.

(Because you know this sounds good to some of the whales)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Titanic posted:

That was a very hypothetical water main that was telling people they assume too much.

You could have just said it was FLUD

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: why don't you share our dinner?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

Obligatory comment about calling it after it happened.

mrchinchin25 posted:

Traditionally you would only call things after they’ve been posted in this thread, so still plenty of time

Nice call.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Drunk Theory posted:

Not very insane really. You just need to be an opportunist. The better question is how insane your audience is that this sounds reasonable.

(Because you know this sounds good to some of the whales)

Many of them will be people who have already been on tours, but just desperately want to hitch themselves to this wagon even though it's made of lead and waiting for high tide to roll in, just in case it succeeds.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

Did moma actually deny being part of INN Relay?

Of course. He's said over and over again that he doesn't work for CIG.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Bootcha posted:

Terrible decisions are a part of Chris Roberts history...

WHICH YOU CAN LEARN ABOUT IN THIS VIDEO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8G8nHFQJo

Extraordinarily belated but I wanted to note that I approve of the use of a potato masher

don't use a mixer on your potatoes you don't get mashed potatoes you get whipped potatoes they aren't the same thing and the mashed ones are better

that is all

good job Bootcha

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey remember when EA flew out a bunch of Youtubers or whatever as part of a “Gamechangers” program for Battlefront 2 as a promise to listen to their feedback and make the game not a steaming pile of poo poo on release? It was a steaming pile of poo poo on release.

Alright, now what if we made those people PAY for the privilege! To be shuffled around a computer farm of tired, fresh out of college devs who have no real insights or stories trying to jerry-rig a crazy Hollywood bigwig wannabe’s fantasies of what a space MMO is together over a feature creep from hell, and theorycraft a shitton of all new game mechanics for our team to maybe try and implement without crashing everything on launch!

$350... for nothing! You are paying, for nothing! You get no value out of this experience! Go fly to Japan and learn to make a Samurai knife, or something, anything but this! Why would you buy this?! Why would you even consider offering this as a product to sell?

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

This was good info and I felt like it was almost funny but didn’t quite make it there. Great job on effort and thoughtfulness though! :golfclap:

I respectfully disagree. It was kinda funny, and then that very last line, "this assumes Star Citizen backers are of average physical health" was an amazing punch line to the whole thing. :aaa: It really put it over the top into "genuinely funny".

(Based on the pictures I've seen of Star Citizen backers and their amazing physical fitness, the death numbers are probably double or triple Gosts' estimate.)

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Taintrunner posted:

Hey remember when EA flew out a bunch of Youtubers or whatever as part of a “Gamechangers” program for Battlefront 2 as a promise to listen to their feedback and make the game not a steaming pile of poo poo on release? It was a steaming pile of poo poo on release.

Alright, now what if we made those people PAY for the privilege! To be shuffled around a computer farm of tired, fresh out of college devs who have no real insights or stories trying to jerry-rig a crazy Hollywood bigwig wannabe’s fantasies of what a space MMO is together over a feature creep from hell, and theorycraft a shitton of all new game mechanics for our team to maybe try and implement without crashing everything on launch!

$350... for nothing! You are paying, for nothing! You get no value out of this experience! Go fly to Japan and learn to make a Samurai knife, or something, anything but this! Why would you buy this?! Why would you even consider offering this as a product to sell?

They get to pretend Chris likes them as he fakes his smiles and hoovers cash up from their pockets with a giant comical vacuum made out of old airplane parts! That's kind of amazing! If you're an idiot.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was responding to ice's comment about this royalty language:

"Crytek has not been compensated for Defendants' unlicensed use of Crytek technology in the Squadron 42 game, and has been substantially harmed by being deprived of that compensation, which would ordinarily include a substantial up-front payment as well as a substantial royalty on game sales."

In either regard, the whole purpose of these types of complaints are to throw as much poo poo as possible on the wall in hopes that some of it will stick. I honestly think that CryTek was negligent in their promise to provide support to CIG, hence CIG's switch to partner with Amazon's LY and receive ongoing support as necessary (in addition to poaching ex-developers and support from CryTek).

So friend, I’ve got a question for you. :)

I agree with you about the support situation, and it might reflect poorly on CryTek, but at what point can you stop trying to provide support when the project is impossible?

Just because CIG can’t see the impossibility of things doesn’t mean CryTek chose to ignore it.

Imagine being the tech support rep who gets the order to make a multiplayer rpg space game with ground stuff and on ship stuff and all these things and oh it’s also a super responsive twitch game.

How can you respond or try to respond when they not only want to recreate Eve: Online, but also throw in GTAV and ARMA and and and and...

How do you respond? At what point can CryTek basically shrug their shoulders and give up? Do you think they are endlessly responsible for providing CIG with the answers to impossible questions?

This could be like counter suing a company because they couldn’t give you the secret of age reversal cream with full support for your subscription order of hand moisturizer lotion.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I just spent an hour catching up with the thread, all the while thinking "urgh, this is pretty boring water treading bullshit".

Then I hit MoMA's meltdown.

Imagine being that invested in a lovely stillborn videogame that you meltdown over a Derek Smart post about it getting sued into oblivion. I'd never loving post again out of shame.

I'm glad your dick dropped off MoMA.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The Titanic posted:

So friend, I’ve got a question for you. :)

I agree with you about the support situation, and it might reflect poorly on CryTek, but at what point can you stop trying to provide support when the project is impossible?

Just because CIG can’t see the impossibility of things doesn’t mean CryTek chose to ignore it.

Imagine being the tech support rep who gets the order to make a multiplayer rpg space game with ground stuff and on ship stuff and all these things and oh it’s also a super responsive twitch game.

How can you respond or try to respond when they not only want to recreate Eve: Online, but also throw in GTAV and ARMA and and and and...

How do you respond? At what point can CryTek basically shrug their shoulders and give up? Do you think they are endlessly responsible for providing CIG with the answers to impossible questions?

This could be like counter suing a company because they couldn’t give you the secret of age reversal cream with full support for your subscription order of hand moisturizer lotion.

I feel the farther away we get from the nucleus of the actual complaint and continue to give crackpot theories air, then the harder this is going to be on everyone. At no time, anywhere until this suit was brought up has there been anything said against CryTek not fulfilling THEIR end of the deal or that there is an escape clause for CIG because of it? One thing has nothing to do with the other. Is there one instance of CryTek being reported for not giving support? If so please show me so I can be wrong about that. Because if true, then Skadden fall asleep at the wheel on this. The actual complaint shows that CIG failed to give CryTek the actual code changes that are on the same contract that Chris scribbled his name on. That entire boondoggle is nothing more than a defense from the peanut gallery that have no idea what they are talking about.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Xaerael posted:

I just spent an hour catching up with the thread, all the while thinking "urgh, this is pretty boring water treading bullshit".

Then I hit MoMA's meltdown.

Imagine being that invested in a lovely stillborn videogame that you meltdown over a Derek Smart post about it getting sued into oblivion. I'd never loving post again out of shame.

I'm glad your dick dropped off MoMA.

:same:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Got creepy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Goredema posted:

I respectfully disagree. It was kinda funny, and then that very last line, "this assumes Star Citizen backers are of average physical health" was an amazing punch line to the whole thing. :aaa: It really put it over the top into "genuinely funny".

(Based on the pictures I've seen of Star Citizen backers and their amazing physical fitness, the death numbers are probably double or triple Gosts' estimate.)

But when you work with averages you always need to assume the average. Eh... I’ll just go sit in my corner again. I don’t have to get every single joke people come up with. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DapperDon posted:

I feel the farther away we get from the nucleus of the actual complaint and continue to give crackpot theories air, then the harder this is going to be on everyone. At no time, anywhere until this suit was brought up has there been anything said against CryTek not fulfilling THEIR end of the deal or that there is an escape clause for CIG because of it? One thing has nothing to do with the other. Is there one instance of CryTek being reported for not giving support? If so please show me so I can be wrong about that. Because if true, then Skadden fall asleep at the wheel on this. The actual complaint shows that CIG failed to give CryTek the actual code changes that are on the same contract that Chris scribbled his name on. That entire boondoggle is nothing more than a defense from the peanut gallery that have no idea what they are talking about.

Well in my unlawyer knowledge I’d try to imagine most litigations don’t include a “and if you do this our whole complaint will come crashing down teehee!” So I’d assume that CIG is also looking at the same contract for where CryTek also failed. Maybe try to prove unilateral failure and that it’s all a wash in the end.

I’m no lawyer though, and I also have no proof of anything. I’ve never even actually played Star Citizen. :shrug:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

act now on this rare opportunity to give us 350 bucks for nothing.

Its actually 3 payments of 350 if you are concierge lol. I came here to lol at the as seen on tv pricing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Well in my unlawyer knowledge I’d try to imagine most litigations don’t include a “and if you do this our whole complaint will come crashing down teehee!” So I’d assume that CIG is also looking at the same contract for where CryTek also failed. Maybe try to prove unilateral failure and that it’s all a wash in the end.

I’m no lawyer though, and I also have no proof of anything. I’ve never even actually played Star Citizen. :shrug:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. MoMA tends to overreact a bit when defending his right to support a thief and a fraud who uses his stolen cash to pretend to create a game that caters to furries, rapists, and convicted child molesters.

Any of us would be just as defensive when faced with such an existential threat.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So they are literally going to deliver NOTHING this year.

Object container streaming! Wow that so exciting. Sounds like a Tupperware party.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DogonCrook posted:

Its actually 3 payments of 350 if you are concierge lol. I came here to lol at the as seen on tv pricing.

it's 3 different ticket sale windows to sell 60 tickets for $350 a pop, presumably 20 tickets per window. the fact that they used "installment" in such a dumb and initially-confusing way just reinforces that she's the best marketing VP and has been since she was a little girl

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Well finally we get a “Keep-Doing-What-You’re-Doing” from Austin

Glassdoor posted:

Jan 5, 2018
"One of the best working experiences in the industry."

5 STARS - Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

+ Recommends
+ Positive Outlook
+ CEO

I have been working at Cloud Imperium Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros
  • Co-Workers feel like family
  • Excellent managers
  • Flexible time off and schedules
  • Clear expectations
  • Decent pay for work

Cons
- Crunch periods tend to be longer than should be

Advice to Management
Maybe evaluate crunch periods and see what can be done to make them shorter to achieve a better work/life balance.

Keep it up with making us all feel like we're genuinely appreciated here, because it really shows and we appreciate it a lot.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it's 3 different ticket sale windows to sell 60 tickets for $350 a pop, presumably 20 tickets per window. the fact that they used "installment" in such a dumb and initially-confusing way just reinforces that she's the best marketing VP and has been since she was a little girl

I'm sure she's using some top marketing sytem us plebs wouldn't understand.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Excellent managers that crunch us to death" :downs:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rabelais D posted:

The cake that reads "Robert need more gold" should get some more love, as the Chinese either side is a qiyan (seven syllable per line) rhyming couplet:

人间自有真情在,能骗一快是一块

which goes something like this:

"As true devotion exists in the world of man, [Chris Roberts] will scam every dollar that he can."

Of course, "Robert need more gold" is a more effective and accurate translation in a lot of ways.

I needed these two posts side by side in my post history. Thanks Rabelais D for the highly memorable translations

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

"Excellent managers that crunch us to death" :downs:

It's in competition with "Clear expectations" for the bulshitiest.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

This is pathetic even for CIG.

Exciting new features coming this year like:
• Object Container Streaming

Buy a tank!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Toops posted:

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call Star Citizen, when a man takes this whole 'Verse for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects, that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

:pgabz:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Crytek consolidated and sold off some of their assets. Some as recently as last year when they sold Warface to My.com. Google is your friend.

They have money. Anything to the contrary is just noise.

Coming from a certified noismaker, this adds credence.
Rumour has it that the US navy tried experimenting with a new noisemaker in the late 80's. They'd drop Derek off the back of a ship in a bathyscope, to confuse the Russian submarines.
Only problem was his Russian was a bit rusty and they canned the experiment.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Good meltdown from whoever has the moma account today
I won't lie your crushing despair is delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Well finally we get a “Keep-Doing-What-You’re-Doing” from Austin

[url=https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm?sort.sortType=RD&sort.ascending=false&filter.employmentStatus=REGULAR&filter.employmentStatus=PART_TIME&filter.employmentStatus=UNKNOWN]

Yay! It’s been a while since we’ve had another truly impressive Glassdoor review!

I wonder if this is part of the astroturfing company like Oasis. People constantly using “keep doing ___!” in the last paragraph is almost as fishy as a company based entirely on donations having very little annual income variance.