Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The_end posted:

What type of rear end in a top hat can afford two apartments?

We may have found Hetero 3 Olives? Or someone poor with money decisions as well as communication decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The GOP Delusion posted:

It came from interpersonal.stackexchange:

How to handle my girlfriend finding out about my second apartment? [on hold]

man sucks for this guy that his girlfriend has like two friends and one of them busted him

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Woof. ‘Too messy for people to see’ hits me as a bit of a red flag. Unless she’s some kind of OCD clean freak, that level of unease makes me think it’s a hellhole.

My brother never lets anyone see his room, not even our father. I got a look at his room when I was home for Christmas, and it was disgusting. No sheets on the bed (sheets on the floor) six laundry baskets with miscellaneous clothes/other items on the floor, discarded pizza boxes, empty pop cans/bottles, an assload of fast food bags/wrappers...

I assume red alert if someone claims their room is too messy for someone else to see it.

She could be like me and her room is nearly entirely clean but her broken brain is convinced that the single shirt on the floor makes her look disgusting. Took me a while to get over that.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

The GOP Delusion posted:

It came from interpersonal.stackexchange:

How to handle my girlfriend finding out about my second apartment? [on hold]

I forgot that existed.

Knowing it's from Stack overflow, take a guess what his hobby is:

How to get my coworkers and family to respect my hobby

quote:

Since I was a little boy, I have always been fascinated by model trains. As I advanced in age, I mastered the art of model train assembly and have gone on various trips around the country to show off my collections and to examine others.

However whilst I derive much satisfaction from this hobby, I have always hid it from my coworkers as if it were something to be embarrassed about.

My family was much more of the athletic-fandom variety:

No Dad, I don't care how many more rings Tom Brady has than Big Ben please keep your American football anecdotes for other company

and never appreciated how much skill was needed for model trains.

I am afraid that my coworkers will feel the same way. I do not wear my model train apparel to work after an incident at an old company. I worked remotely for years but now I am required to come into the office more frequently.

Is there a way I can subtlely bring up model trains and suss out an ill feelings towards the subject matter?

I was considering reserving a conference room and setting up a small train exhibit as a way to build morale and also find out if there are any other fellow amateur conductors in my midst.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Was I (31f) wrong in asking him (36m) about his past arrests? Seeing each other 2 months.

Met Brian through a dating app 2 months ago and things had been going well until last week when he was arrested for a DUI, had his license revoked and possession of marijuana (we live in a non-legal state). He had also quit his job the week before and hasn’t found work again yet. To his credit, he’s had a really hard time emotionally about this.

Anyway, I came to know about him having been arrested after he was let out, and was curious if there was anything else he was arrested for but did not tell me (he only mentioned one previous DUI when I asked). I found the old DUI plus two additional records of battery and one trespassing came up. Timing: One from a decade ago (simple battery) and the other from three years ago (simple battery + trespassing).

he had broken into his ex’s apartment and broke her things. Then starts telling me that he didn’t need this from me right now and that he’s going through a lot.

Was I wrong in asking after only seeing him for 2 months? Or is this a red flag?
I'm not sure if beating you upside the head with a baseball bat would register as a red flag after reading this post.

I read the first paragraph in the quote and was all "red flag, red flag, abandon ship" and then I read the rest and I refuse to believe anyone is that dense.

3 years isn't a long time. If he did it when he was 18-22 then maybe he has changed, but he did it while he was 33 years old. Older than you are now. I'd triple bold this if I could.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 6, 2018

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh. My. God.

He has an entire apartment for his elaborate model train collection.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I met a hardcore train enthusiast once. I asked him what he liked about them, and he compared the look of a locomotive to the venus willendorf. Later on he showed me a video of a 1/8 scale trainyard he used to have and I saw him riding one of them.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I really don't see how being passionate about train models is any worse than being passionate about anything else.

I personally don't understand how anyone can focus on just one interest and dedicate their entire existence around it but shaming them or mocking them just seems really horrible? :confused:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don’t get me wrong, I think trains are cool too. But in a “gun fight on top of” kind of way.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I don't think liking model trains is something to be embarrassed about, but wanting to set up a model train exhibit to boost moral goes far beyond that. Also what kind of apparel does he wear that would cause an incident? Did he come to work in a full conductor uniform?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Think of model trains as the venus of willendorf and test nightly how far into your rectum H/O trains can go? Who cares.

Make tiny model people with elaborate names and backstories who fit on the trains that you then derail, later delivering tiny notices of death to other tiny people who live on the other side of the set? No third date

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
Gomez Addams had a rad model train set, and he was a pretty suave motherfucker.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Solefald posted:

I really don't see how being passionate about train models is any worse than being passionate about anything else.

I think in the old days, it was assumed that a grown man who hung around hobby shops and built model trains only did it because he was prowling for young boys to molest.

Even though we're in the golden age of grown men holding onto their childhood interests, it seems like model train guys are still tainted with that icky-ness.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reverend Lovejoy is a long-suffering model train enthusiast. I thought it was pretty much the original harmless nerd hobby. I heard there's actually issues because the rise of the internet and diversification of nerd hobbies combined with a complete failure to attract new people means there's a dwindling pool of people actually still into model trains, and a shrinking market as a result, but the internet can also attract new nerds.

LabyaMynora posted:

I think in the old days, it was assumed that a grown man who hung around hobby shops and built model trains only did it because he was prowling for young boys to molest.

Even though we're in the golden age of grown men holding onto their childhood interests, it seems like model train guys are still tainted with that icky-ness.

Much like comic book shops, the hard to believe part here is that young boys are still found in stores that sell model trains. They barely know that poo poo exists.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't care if he really likes trains and gently caress if he can afford a model train apartment, good for him. The weird part to me is how he can't seem to conceive of not talking to his coworkers about it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

LabyaMynora posted:

they don't want to gently caress little boys, they want to gently caress trains

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

LabyaMynora posted:

The stereotype is trains=autistic, not trains=pedo

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The stereotype is trains=autistic, not trains=pedo

Then why did Ozzy Osbourne write a song called "Mr. Tinkertrain" about molesting kids?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Guy just needs to bring his wooden train whistle into work and discreetly toot it like a conductor mating call.

"Whoa what was that anyone hear A TRAIN go by? How cool are those things huh?"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

LabyaMynora posted:

Then why did Ozzy Osbourne write a song called "Mr. Tinkertrain" about molesting kids?

Are you going to correct Ozzy?

Would Ozzy understand if you tried to correct him?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I really like wrestling, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to strike up a conversation about it or bring in wrestling memorabilia or wear wrestling shirts to work. It’s not hard to comprehend that your interest that you think is normal has a stigma.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The you are allowed an extremely limited set of conversation topics at work; food, your family, sports, TV shows with over 2 million viewers, pets, and how many knives you would stick into the billing departments genitals before your blood lust would be sated and you would allow them the release of death

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [27F] bf [26M] wants to quit his job to drive for Lyft]

quote:

My bf and I have been dating for a year, living together for 3 months. We live in a big city so rent is not cheap. I make almost double what my bf does so I end up covering more rent than him and covering all of the utilities. This is almost one full paycheck for me (I am paid every two weeks). I am very lucky to have had the privilege of getting a college degree and I have a fairly good job in my field. But because of the costs I’m covering each month which also include any entertainment costs, all meals out and groceries, and my student loans, I live pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

My bf does not have a college degree and has worked mostly retail jobs his adult life. Recently I got him a job at my company. While it’s low on the totem pole, he makes more money than he ever has and has the opportunity to move up in the company despite his lack of degree. He was told that if he continued at the company in his current position for a year, he could move into a better paying position in a department he expressed interest in when he was hired. We got into a big argument tonight because he wants to quit and drive for Lyft. He’s unhappy at his current job (which I get, I wouldn’t really want to do the job either) but I’m upset because if he sticks it out for a year he has a chance to build a career in a new field without a college degree which isn’t easy to do. There are a lot of people in my company who have come from his department that are now in great jobs because my company likes to do a lot of on the job training and promote within.

I told him that Lyft is too unreliable and I’m upset because I’m already pulling so much financial weight and now he wants to quit to take a gamble of a job where we have no idea if he would even make enough for rent. There’s also no upward mobility with this and he’s back at square one. I just feel like he doesn’t understand that you have to put in the grunt work to get a good job. My current job didn’t just fall into my lap. I worked retail jobs to help pay for rent and college and worked jobs I hated outside of my field before I found this one.

Am I being unreasonable here? Am I being blinded by my cushy job to get where he’s coming from? I don’t want him to be unhappy which he is in his current position but I also feel like it’s way too much pressure to take on the financial burden if he quits this job; I’m already struggling as is. It’s also really hard to imagine a future with someone where I’m taking on most of the finances all the time. I want to have kids someday and we definitely couldn’t afford a kid with how things are currently going.

Edit: I also want to add that he does pull his weight in a lot of nonfinancial ways. He cooks probably 75% of our dinners, packs my lunch often, does a lot of cleaning, etc.

TL;DR Bf wants to quit job where he has a chance to move up for a job with unreliable income, putting more financial burden on me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
One of my close friends has s dad who is totally normal and very blue collar, standard middle clad lifestyle and has other hobbies, but owns tens of thousands of dollars worth of model trains, both antique and new. Since he is a welder he also makers money on the side fabricating no longer commercially available replacement parts that look like the original part.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Let him quit, then when he hates having to drive for lyft you can laugh at him and tell him you were right.

Then break up with him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Give him the Billy Madison speech, then dump him. Don't wait for him to fail. That's precious getting over and moving on to something better time you're wasting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Even just opening up the car passenger relationship dooms everything, I see.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Mandy Patinken is seriously into model trains.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Why doesn't he start driving for lyft outside of his 9-5 to test the waters? There's no reason to quit your job when you're starting a side job.

If you are living pay check to pay check in the situation described here, you're doing it wrong.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Don't wait for him to fail. That's precious getting over and moving on to something better time you're wasting.

Wisdom.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Khorne posted:

Why doesn't he start driving for lyft outside of his 9-5 to test the waters?
Because that would shatter his fantasy that working for Lyft is sunshine and roses and definitely will not involve someone puking in his car at some point.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eezee posted:

dad gone, so what?

Also:

Poor Dad.

I am just gonna point out the "we can dress how we want without it being weird" thing. Unless she wants to be a nudist, this seems like a family where just wearing loving pajamas in the house with your dad around is a problem. And that's weird.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Eezee posted:

I forgot that existed.

Knowing it's from Stack overflow, take a guess what his hobby is:

How to get my coworkers and family to respect my hobby

He doesn't wear the apparel after an incident at a previous job? What kind of incident? It's not right to mention that without details.

Also, how hard is it to be like "Oh, yeah. I like model trains. I find them really interesting but I know it's not for everyone. What are your hobbies?" I can't imagine anyone taking that badly unless the person is already sending out bad vibes.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

He doesn't wear the apparel after an incident at a previous job? What kind of incident? It's not right to mention that without details.

He wore a tie with a train on it once, and when a coworker said, "hey, that's a train on your tie, huh?" he flipped out and screamed and stormed out of the office, never to return.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Midnight Voyager posted:

I am just gonna point out the "we can dress how we want without it being weird" thing. Unless she wants to be a nudist, this seems like a family where just wearing loving pajamas in the house with your dad around is a problem. And that's weird.
If I'm visiting my mom and it's just the two of us, we'll wear hoodies or PJs without bras, but if everyone's there, we suck it up and put bras on, or at least wear another layer over our shirts (which really sucks in summer, but not as much as 24/7 bras suck). I can definitely imagine situations where it could be more restrictive and weird, but I don't think it's a guaranteed sign of weirdness?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

If I'm visiting my mom and it's just the two of us, we'll wear hoodies or PJs without bras, but if everyone's there, we suck it up and put bras on, or at least wear another layer over our shirts (which really sucks in summer, but not as much as 24/7 bras suck). I can definitely imagine situations where it could be more restrictive and weird, but I don't think it's a guaranteed sign of weirdness?

First day of dad gone. "PATRICIA, WHY ARE YOU NAKED. PUT SOME CLOTHES ON."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Swap the genders and it makes perfect sense.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LabyaMynora posted:

He wore a tie with a train on it once, and when a coworker said, "hey, that's a train on your tie, huh?" he flipped out and screamed and stormed out of the office, never to return.

Well, the coworker didn't say what kind of train.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bored posted:

Well, the coworker didn't say what kind of train.

"How DARE he imply I had a subway train on my tie?! I'm not a HOOLIGAN!" :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This just feels like cheating, the op already removed the post, so here's an image.

My [25M] (white) girlfriend [23F] of one year found out that I have a preference for Japanese women