Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Redmark posted:

Sufism Empire? Is that a thing now?

Nope.

e: well top of page, so here's a story of despair:

quote:

Twenty-five civilians are reported to have been killed in air strikes on two towns in the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta area outside Syria's capital, Damascus.

The Syria Civil Defence said one of its rescue workers was among 18 people who died when what witnesses identified as Russian jets bombed Misraba.

Another six people died in suspected Russian strikes on Arbin, it added.

Some 400,000 people in the area have been under siege by Russian-backed Syrian government forces since 2013.

Last week, the government permitted Red Cross teams to evacuate 29 critically-ill patients from the Eastern Ghouta as part of a deal that saw rebels release the same number of prisoners.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42566063

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Forgotten Realms is real, but instead of putting you in the wall, they put you against it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, in Turkey, a party even worse than the AKP appears.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/first-racist-political-party-founded-in-turkey-in-2017-turks-presented-as-superior-race-125310

quote:

The Ötüken Union Party – Turkey’s first openly racist political party to run for parliament – was founded on Dec. 20, online publisher Duvar reported on Jan. 5, citing the yearly political party list released by the Supreme Court of Appeals Prosecutor’s Office.

The party, which bases its policies on race, has singled out Turks as a superior race, vowing to shut down vocational high-schools, bring back the death penalty, stop the refugee influx and cancel the citizenships of those who have migrated to Turkey from abroad.

The party has also announced plans to have Turkish-only soldiers and police officers, and to ban marriage to foreign citizens under their rule.

“Our holy mission is to raise our race to a higher point. The goal of the Turkish race is to have authority over the entire world,” the program said.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They're going to win every election and sweep into control of Turkey.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
"Turkish Race" :kiddo:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
gee maybe someday turkey will be as bad as Austria is right now.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Al-Saqr posted:

gee maybe someday turkey will be as bad as Austria is right now.
Eagerly awaiting the Second Battle of Vienna.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
How in god's name does the idea of "ruling the world" as a stated end-goal still make sense after the advent of nuclear weapons? Even the US, at the height of its power in the 90's and early 2000's, still had no real control over India, Pakistan, or China.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

hell yea i was wondering when turanism would make a comeback

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheBalor posted:

How in god's name does the idea of "ruling the world" as a stated end-goal still make sense after the advent of nuclear weapons? Even the US, at the height of its power in the 90's and early 2000's, still had no real control over India, Pakistan, or China.

Only because the US hadn't used enough nukes, obviously.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheBalor posted:

Raving crazy nationalists are dumb.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TheBalor posted:

For a while, it looked like they were trending our way, especially as Chinese-US trade intensified, India liberalized, and the Russians were too weak to really do much.

I would say 1991-2008 more or less was a distinct era of history where things looked like they were permanently trending in the direction of the US. However, obviously between the financial crisis and its aftermath (which is still going on) and smaller events like the Russian-Georgian War indicated that the balance of power was starting to slowly slip away from the US.

Basically, the hope was the economic and cultural power of the US would make nuclear weapons effectively obsolete since no power could hold out from us for long. It might have even seemed that war fairly realistic in the 1990s as we watched Russia being thrown in chaos. However, we refuse to admit that globalization was a two-way street and that (re)industrialization gave our opponents a fighting chance.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/949495534003412992
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/949001475174354945?s=17

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

And where are they getting the money to pay for air fueling that will now need to happen to get troops in and out of Afghanistan? :allears:

Not that I'm sure where they're expecting to fly through. What if Pakistan says "no aid, no airspace"?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They’re just going to invade Pakistan or something stupid like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Office Pig posted:

Might as well, they could start with a pincer maneuver, and at least it's not loving landlocked.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Office Pig posted:

this would be interesting only because we'd get to see if suitcase nukes worked

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And where are they getting the money to pay for air fueling that will now need to happen to get troops in and out of Afghanistan? :allears:

Not that I'm sure where they're expecting to fly through. What if Pakistan says "no aid, no airspace"?
Then maybe we can finally end this endless war in Afghanistan?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then maybe we can finally end this endless war in Afghanistan?

Sounds like that should happen before cutting off the only land bridge.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Have fun maintaining any semblance of control in Afghanistan now that Pakistan has zero incentive to try and control their side of the border. At least some Pakistani lives can finally be spared from the internal war they e been fighting against the taliban.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In a stunning move, the US military manages to fracture Pakistan into several successor states, all of which nuke India who then nukes them all back. US troops in old Cold War gear intended for driving through a freshly irradiated Fulda Gap then secure all necessary territories of former Pakistan to secure supply lines to the Afghani Forever War.

Boeing stock up 10%.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus. Apparently Kushner and Trump personally liked MbS and allowed him to arrest MbN. They bragged about it after the fact that they couped SA and got their man on top.

Edit: According to the new trump book.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 6, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is there a news site or Persian forum or something I can follow up-to-date Iran protest news. I don't think it will trigger a government collapse but I want to know how bad the crack down is going to be.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Have fun maintaining any semblance of control in Afghanistan now that Pakistan has zero incentive to try and control their side of the border. At least some Pakistani lives can finally be spared from the internal war they e been fighting against the taliban.

That is an... optimistic outtake. I’m pretty sure Pakistani taliban would continue murdering deaths of children whether or not the ISI tels them to.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Punkbob posted:

Jesus. Apparently Kushner and Trump personally liked MbS and allowed him to arrest MbN. They bragged about it after the fact that they couped SA and got their man on top.

Edit: According to the new trump book.

3 more years of this and western interests in the ME might even get wrecked to the point that they can't be recovered within a decent timeframe.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

3 more years of this and western interests in the ME might even get wrecked to the point that they can't be recovered within a decent timeframe.
Pretty much, yes, Western capital may ends up using Chinese business intermediaries. Not sure it will make any difference in the end.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 6, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Saladman posted:

That is an... optimistic outtake. I’m pretty sure Pakistani taliban would continue murdering deaths of children whether or not the ISI tels them to.

The ISI is going to continue to support them regardless of what the US tells them to do. At this point it's just a pointless political game where America pretends their money is buying them influence and the Pakistanis play along and do what they want anyway. Trump isn't right about a lot but on this he's 100% correct. The USA is getting nothing out of it and would be better off not pouring money into a country that's directly funneling them to organizations that are destabilizing Afghanistan, India and Pakistan itself.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

In a stunning move, the US military manages to fracture Pakistan into several successor states, all of which nuke India who then nukes them all back.

I doubt Balochistan would turn against India

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

TildeATH posted:

He sounds like an old conservative douchebag with the Proud Shi’a and Those Good Revolutionaries Who Want Reform and Restrained IRGC lines. It sounds like an Iranian version of a Trump supporter who wants to make sure nothing really changes and none of that Foreign Influence gets in.

I guess I just know more conservative Iranians than all you guys in this thread married to your various Tehrangeles cousins of the Shah.

WHAT FOOLS THEY ARE! Don't they realize platitudes RULES THE WORLD!
That's how youtube got rid of religion in 2006!

To draw a more serious line, national identity...is cultural...is historical...is religious.
(unless you get nationalists in power which means national Identity is whatever they say it is, and yes that includes most theocracies)

To me and to Dad that identity probably justifies gently caress all, its a symbol, a common heritage.
You can ask so what, but you already know the answer to that...so my next is stability, progress.....uninteresting times.
Humans are stupid when it comes to identity...they mislabel it as substance.

Hey....this is why i thought you weren't ready for Bernie Sanders.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

Sinteres posted:

They executed a Hamas member in Sinai and blamed Hamas for being insufficiently motivated to fight Jews around the world, considering them parochial apostates for only being interested in fighting Jews in (Greater) Palestine. ISIS is loving crazy.

Its like a Serbian nationalist talking down a Montenegro nationalist.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

In my mind I'd like to imagine these are Erdogan's agente provacatur, agents set out to make successful Trump more sane and cosmopolitan as he whores himself to get recognized as the embodiment of all thing Turkish(and sphere of influence)

But...not really that unusual, considering how sentiments for these things runs amok(Most European nationalism resulted in laws like these 150 years ago and 150 years later they keep pop up in the suggestion box)

Still, they don't have to be Erdogans to be usefull substanceless idiots...and I despise quislings like these no matter where they pop up.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

whatever7 posted:

is there a news site or Persian forum or something I can follow up-to-date Iran protest news. I don't think it will trigger a government collapse but I want to know how bad the crack down is going to be.
:negative:
.... can someone put the word "Despair" in the ingress this time, maybe it will have opposite effect.

edit:

BTW....just checking the lives and aspirations of the people living in this part of Asia are more important then my narcissism and its cross it must bear right?

Because I have an analogy to make, this thread is akin to a certain house in Tortilla Flat...and I'm calling as the big dumb Portuguese.

54.4 crowns fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 6, 2018

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/HassounMazen/status/949663120087232513

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/949715440909148160

when the next revolution comes and all of these animals are lined up at the ditches dug for them I'm glad that they've provided stuff like this on tape so that there's no remorse and complete peace of mind when the triggers get pulled. These 'people' are literal foreign occupiers by proxy.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 6, 2018

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/949715440909148160

when the next revolution comes and all of these animals are lined up at the ditches dug for them I'm glad that they've provided stuff like this on tape so that there's no remorse and complete peace of mind when the triggers get pulled. These 'people' are literal foreign occupiers by proxy.

loving pigs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The sourcing doesn't seem very widespread yet, but there are at least some reports that Ahmadinejad has been arrested. If true, what a turnaround from the last round of major protests.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

What should Egypt do? Go to war? Have the newscasters offer thoughts and prayers?

Material support for Palestinian dreams gets them nothing, and risks conflict with Israel or loss of US aid. Do you feel that Egypt is obligated to P. solidarity on race and religious grounds?

I respect your wider knowledge on the topic, but my naivete was impressed that they refrained from the usual hollow condemnation. :words:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Preen Dog posted:

What should Egypt do? Go to war? Have the newscasters offer thoughts and prayers?

Material support for Palestinian dreams gets them nothing, and risks conflict with Israel or loss of US aid. Do you feel that Egypt is obligated to P. solidarity on race and religious grounds?

I respect your wider knowledge on the topic, but my naivete was impressed that they refrained from the usual hollow condemnation. :words:

Even if you think Egypt has good reason to stay out of it, sending the intelligence services around to tell the media to essentially support what happened goes beyond acceptance.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preen Dog posted:

Their bribes from the Americans were on the line, so of course they had to cave in. I mean, what would've been the alternative? Without that American "military aid" the regime would collapse in a couple of months. So when Trump says that he'll cut off aid from anyone who makes a fuss, it's actually really just reasonable to go along with it. Heroic, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

Their bribes from the Americans were on the line, so of course they had to cave in. I mean, what would've been the alternative? Without that American "military aid" the regime would collapse in a couple of months. So when Trump says that he'll cut off aid from anyone who makes a fuss, it's actually really just reasonable to go along with it. Heroic, even.

Egypt gets that money for being at peace with Israel. Cutting it and risking an actual anti-Israeli (and anti-American) government just because Egypt got mad about Jerusalem, in the absence of any military posturing on Sisi's part, would be unbelievably stupid. There's every possibility it was the Saudis twisting Sisi's arm by the way.