Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

Dammit, I forgot the parsnips. I knew I forgot something.

Man they really do add something special. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Sundays are for pot roast. That’s what we had for dinner and what I will be having for lunch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It was like that growing up. My grandmother always soaked beans on Sunday for lunch on Monday. She got up really early so they had plenty of time to simmer and be ready by lunch. We always had beans, cornbread, and onions as part of lunches on Mondays.

drat I miss her.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Work phone decided it no longer likes its battery too. :argh:

It was showing ~65% remaining, then I saw the Motorola boot logo flash up, then nothing. Wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it into the car charger, at which point it was showing 4%. Never done that before.

Hopefully it's easier to replace on a 2014 Moto X than it is on a Nexus 6P... I don't want to buy yet another phone. This one is pretty drat old by smartphone standards, but it does everything I need it to do, and it's still quick enough for everything I use it for.

(it's on and off the charger quite a bit, which I know is hell on the battery, but it won't make it through a full 8 hour shift without being plugged in since the screen is on that entire time.. and I have to take it with me inside restaurants, to the customer's door, etc)

e: eh... looks like somewhat of a pain to get to the battery, but not the end of the world.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 8, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Beef, Chickpea and baby spinach in a coconut curry for tea tonight. Run the beef and the chickpeas through the pressure cooker first to get them to soften up, then slooowly reduce it on the stove

How the hell do they make zipties for so cheap? I just bought an assortment of 1000 good tridon ones, with a toledo ziptie gun for $52. 5.2c each, not taking into account the cost of the gun and at that point the manufacturer, distributor and retailer have all added their profit margins to them too!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
What’s the best way to reattach trim pieces? The A pillar trim on this e36 has degraded so bad all the plastic tabs have snapped off.

I’m thinking double sided foam tape?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

NitroSpazzz posted:

:drat: that's a lot of snow. How is that thing in the snow? Do you have snow tires or at least a decent set of all season tires?

I haven't driven it yet since winter hit. Still buried now. I mean to see how the summer tires are in completely dry conditions. But the private street I'm on is still covered in hard slush.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

slothrop posted:

What’s the best way to reattach trim pieces? The A pillar trim on this e36 has degraded so bad all the plastic tabs have snapped off.

I use a hot glue gun for all the poo poo I break loving around like an idiot on the e34

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Battery woes

Is this a thing with Motorola's? Because my dual SIM G3 occasionally powers off at medium charge and it's getting irritating, happened maybe 5 times now and I thought maybe I was doing it accidentally or it was the cold when I was in the garage.

I really need some warmer weather so I can strip down the multipla and get it dragged away, we keep having to rearrange cars on the drive if my wife goes anywhere in the evening and I don't want it to become a feature.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's a thing with any well-worn battery. Voltage drops lower than it should when a sudden load (such as the camera, or GPS firing up, etc) is placed on it, phone shuts off because the voltage dropped below the "1%" limit; it shuts off to prevent over-discharge of the battery (because it thinks the battery is suddenly dead).

This phone is 3 1/2 years old, and on the original battery. Given how much the phone gets used and abused, that's pretty loving impressive. I probably should just get another cheap phone for work and sell this one on (disclosing the battery issue), I just don't want to spend the money right now. It's in good shape aside from some pretty bad screen burn.

A G3 is old enough that the battery could well be on its last legs, just depending on how it's been used, but if the battery is cold, that could also be contributing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 8, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its the reason Apple got in the poo poo recently- They've been quietly underclocking phones as the battery age to stop them from doing exactly that and now they've finally come out about it people are loosing their poo poo.

I get the argument that its "Only to make you buy a new phone" but I'd rather have a phone that chugged slightly every now and then as it did something power intensive than one that shuts down at random and takes a charger to get it back alive again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd never really thought about it but as a dual SIM it is in use 24hrs and probably on charge 50% of the time as it's just habit to plug it in whenever I'm near a cable. I think it's 2 years old at this point?

Oh well, what's money for but for spending. We'll see whether this or the washing machine breaks first, the squeakiest wheel gets the grease right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamn, just looked at Moto's current lineup. The E4 looks drat nice for a work phone. Cheap, water resistant (I work in the rain a lot, so that's a big plus; my current Moto X is also water resistant), and adds a fingerprint reader. Also would get me band 12 LTE, which would help when I'm in large buildings.

Don't really care about the better camera or display, and I doubt it would be much of an improvement, performance-wise, but it checks all of the right boxes for a $130 phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Its the reason Apple got in the poo poo recently- They've been quietly underclocking phones as the battery age to stop them from doing exactly that and now they've finally come out about it people are loosing their poo poo.

I get the argument that its "Only to make you buy a new phone" but I'd rather have a phone that chugged slightly every now and then as it did something power intensive than one that shuts down at random and takes a charger to get it back alive again.

Yeah, I can get the hate for it (and I'm glad because it means they'll replace the battery in my wife's iPhone for $29 instead of $79) but I wish more phones offered it as an option, especially since batteries aren't meant to be user-replaceable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I did a battery swap on a original moto G and apart from undoing 17 screws (not an exaggeration ) it was easy.

Bought a G4 Play and been happy with it, except in the last couple of months, it's gotten slower and everything take 2-3 seconds 4 start.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

everdave posted:

I know maybe being Christian isn’t the most popular thing here but I am and I felt compelled to help him. Like stop what you are doing and help him. So I just gotta go with that.

You didn't do it because you're a Christian, you did it because you're a decent person. This is the thing that a lot of US Christians seem to struggle comprehending, that you don't need religion to tell you to be a morally upstanding human being, it should just come naturally.

I met up with a few friends from college over the weekend, one of them had started up a photography business locally and rented out a fairly sizeable studio to shoot in. She got friendly with a girl who was looking into doing yoga classes and yoga girl asked if she could rent the studio on the days there were no shoots happening. Of course my friend agreed on the basis that she'd get some cash for renting the space, nothing too much, just to cover expenses. Yoga girl also moved into my friend's place. Several months pass and of course yoga girl hadn't actually paid any money for the studio or indeed rent for the house. Kinda lovely behaviour for someone who was always promoting peace and love and all that jazz.

Crappy people are everywhere and it's sad that you sometimes feel like you have to limit your exposure to them and deny help despite wanting to. It makes you view things weirdly, like who is this person and what do they want from me? We've all been burned at some point I think, you're clearly a very trusting dude and that's not a bad thing.

'Comedy' option (from my deeply Catholic :catholic: upbringing, a reply used far too often by lovely priests when something bad happens to you): God moves in mysterious ways

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You didn't do it because you're a Christian, you did it because you're a decent person. This is the thing that a lot of US Christians seem to struggle comprehending, that you don't need religion to tell you to be a morally upstanding human being, it should just come naturally.
See also "without God, what stops you running around raping and murdering people?" Well, nothing. I can rape and murder as much as I want to. Funnily enough, that would be "not at all".

Olympic Mathlete posted:

'Comedy' option (from my deeply Catholic :catholic: upbringing, a reply used far too often by lovely priests when something bad happens to you): God moves in mysterious ways
The thing about life being unfair is that if life were fair, the same poo poo would happen, it'd just mean you deserved it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was struggling to have this discussion with an overly religious friends 13 year old son the other day after he straight out told me that I was going to hell. Eventually I will get him without his mother around so we can finish it.

I find it quite worrying that so much of the worlds population needs to feel like the only reason they have to do good things is because of the ever present threat of some distant deity being angry with you or sending you somewhere bad.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ferremit posted:

How the hell do they make zipties for so cheap? I just bought an assortment of 1000 good tridon ones, with a toledo ziptie gun for $52. 5.2c each, not taking into account the cost of the gun and at that point the manufacturer, distributor and retailer have all added their profit margins to them too!
I'm not sure how I've never seen or heard of a zip-tie gun but now there's one in my amazon cart for next time I make an order :argh:

slothrop posted:

Just E36 things. Double sided tape works ok, I'd recommend the thick black trim/bumper tape as it holds up better. Otherwise hot glue works in a pinch.

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't driven it yet since winter hit. Still buried now. I mean to see how the summer tires are in completely dry conditions. But the private street I'm on is still covered in hard slush.
911's are actually pretty good in the snow with proper snow tires other than the lack of ground clearance. Wouldn't be my first choice of a winter car but it would be fun.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

See also "without God, what stops you running around raping and murdering people?" Well, nothing. I can rape and murder as much as I want to.

As a kid despite spending most of my free time in churches I still found time to murder insects and small animals for fun. But I went to church and asked for forgiveness so it was totally fine to do all that and God never struck me down either so... :v:

Tomarse posted:

I find it quite worrying that so much of the worlds population needs to feel like the only reason they have to do good things is because of the ever present threat of some distant deity being angry with you or sending you somewhere bad.

I subscribe to the Buddhist way of thinking on this one, in particular this choice quote from the big man himself.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just E36 things. Double sided tape works ok, I'd recommend the thick black trim/bumper tape as it holds up better. Otherwise hot glue works in a pinch.

this sort of thing?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38583-Exterior-Attachment-Tape/dp/B00JR4D7AA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515411747&sr=8-5&keywords=trim+tape

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Edward Adebayo still owes me twenty quid from my college days and as a result, I have always been leery of Nigerians wanting to borrow money.

Which served me well during those early days of the internet and emails.

(Of course, these days I am much more broadminded and don't trust anyone, regardless of nationality)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

Edward Adebayo still owes me twenty quid from my college days and as a result, I have always been leery of Nigerians wanting to borrow money.

Which served me well during those early days of the internet and emails.
He's been desperately trying to use his connections to business and royalty to pay you back with interest, obviously.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Enourmo posted:

I start my last semester of school tomorrow and its got my heart rate at about 1000.

Anyone else have those dreams you are back in school and have something due that you have not started and have no idea how to work on? School fucks people up for life is what I am saying.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Anyone else have those dreams you are back in school and have something due that you have not started and have no idea how to work on? School fucks people up for life is what I am saying.
Dunno, sounds like good preparation for working life.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Holy poo poo yes

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Whaddup

The good: After swapping a new battery in it (that I had just bought the day before for the Volvo) it started up and ran fine. Engine runs strong, transmission shifts fine, 4WD feels like it engages fine. The rust looks like it's limited to the rockers.

The bad: The brakes are really bad, like dangerously bad. The pedal goes to the floor and even then there's very little bite. I almost ran into my garage door. It will also need front tires soon, and I kind of broke the hood release lever. The cable snapped and I had to remove the bracket and cut the sheathing and pull on the cable itself just to retrieve my battery.

For fifty bucks, I could have done a lot worse. It even came with a Haynes manual.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

Whaddup

The good: After swapping a new battery in it (that I had just bought the day before for the Volvo) it started up and ran fine. Engine runs strong, transmission shifts fine, 4WD feels like it engages fine. The rust looks like it's limited to the rockers.

The bad: The brakes are really bad, like dangerously bad. The pedal goes to the floor and even then there's very little bite. I almost ran into my garage door. It will also need front tires soon, and I kind of broke the hood release lever. The cable snapped and I had to remove the bracket and cut the sheathing and pull on the cable itself just to retrieve my battery.

For fifty bucks, I could have done a lot worse. It even came with a Haynes manual.

For $50, I'm super loving jealous. Slap some armored rockers on there and you're looking the part.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's the stuff. I keep a roll in the toolbox at all times. Be aware once it's been on for a while it is a bitch to remove.

CornHolio posted:

Whaddup

For $50 that's a steal, well done

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Great, now I want an XJ again. Thanks a lot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It is a balmy 32F here today and it feels like spring (while it was snowing :v) after last week. I'll take it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Larrymer posted:

It is a balmy 32F here today and it feels like spring (while it was snowing :v) after last week. I'll take it.

Same. 32° here and it legit feels warm.

It hit -16° without the wind chill here last week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I was struggling to have this discussion with an overly religious friends 13 year old son the other day after he straight out told me that I was going to hell. Eventually I will get him without his mother around so we can finish it.

Your friend needs to tell his son to keep his mouth shut and learn to respect adults, especially adult friends of the family.

If my son did that I'd go off the deep end on him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All the talk about people owing money and whatnot, I just saw that the fuckstick who owes me money got evicted from his apartment and is now couch surfing. I'm sure he'll hit me up soon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Whaddup

Good purchase, start a thread.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Good purchase, start a thread.

I might, to document this as well as my other, um, five vehicles.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CommieGIR posted:

Great, now I want an XJ again. Thanks a lot.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Half the screen on my 2014 X stopped working, so I took it apart to see if I could wiggle the connections or something and get it to work. No dice. Then I heard about people replacing the screen and not having that fix it, so I didn't want to spend $100 to do that, especially after replacing the screen on my 1st gen moto x and having the phone not work afterward (I think because the parts I got were for a GSM phone and I needed verizon).

So anyhow, I have a G5 now and it's pretty good. It's the S plus version with 32gb, has a micro-SD slot and is "water resistant." But I still keep it in a plastic phone carrying thing when I'm riding a bike and sweating on it. The lack of NFC is about the only thing that annoys me and the fingerprint reader is really nice. Oh, and they put the power button below the volume buttons so I lock the phone instead of taking a picture pretty often. I'd say I like it more than the previous moto x though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just caught up on the thread after a weekend of no internet.

everdave- gently caress that sucks. At least you seem to have your head in the right space, both regarding the kids and your "friend."
Also, you don't really need parsnips anyway.

Cornholio - grats on the Jeep. We knew you'd do the wrongright thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Your friend needs to tell his son to keep his mouth shut and learn to respect adults, especially adult friends of the family.

If my son did that I'd go off the deep end on him.

Respect is earned, not given.

• Locked thread