Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sir Lemming posted:

A bunch of people in this thread called / wished for this: Seth MacFarlane says season 2 of The Orville will probably be more straightforward sci-fi and not try so hard for comedy all the time. So yeah, he pretty much Trojan Horsed a new Star Trek show onto Fox.

This would be great. Orville was okay, but most of the jokes/humor was always flat to me. If they decided to just let it be normal and let the humor come naturally, then it sounds like the show could be a lot more bearable to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Call me basic, but I like a lot of the jokes people here consider lame.

Though I think it's hard to deny that Bortus and Isaac are the most fun.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Who's that again? I forgot.

Kahless was Klingon Jesus. Worf finds that clone of him in the Sword of Kahless episode and they make him Klingon Pope.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

XBenedict posted:

This Disco episode was my favorite mirror universe episode. Fight me.

Same same a thousand times same. The fact that they get to keep tooling around the mirrorverse pretending to be honest to God Yo Ho Ho pirates for at least another episode fills me with glee.

They mentioned that Discovery traded places with its counterpart so I also hope we get to see mirror Disco trying to fit into the prime universe.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My favorite joke in all of Star Trek is Kirk grimly wondering what their evil counterparts are up to on the regular Enterprise - then cut to Spock throwing them all in the brig because they exposed themselves almost immediately.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WampaLord posted:

Kahless was Klingon Jesus. Worf finds that clone of him in the Sword of Kahless episode and they make him Klingon Pope.

Kahless the Unforgettable is a fictional character in the Star Trek universe. He is portrayed in Star Trek: The Original Series by Robert Herron and in Star Trek: The Next Generation by Kevin Conway.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Kahless is the one with white hair and dragons.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

My favorite joke in all of Star Trek is Kirk grimly wondering what their evil counterparts are up to on the regular Enterprise - then cut to Spock throwing them all in the brig because they exposed themselves almost immediately.

Agreed, it's such a "Pfft, don't worry about them, audience" moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epicurius posted:

Martok is awesome. His wife is awesome. His kid's a jerk.

His kid was only in one episode and never mentioned again, fortunately.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

CubanMissile posted:

Seriously watch DS9.

DS9 is next after tng is done. Then voyager, then enterprise, the tos.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Only competition is the Klingon chef.

You dare to forget Kang, Koloth, and the Dahar Master, Kor? (DS9 versions)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Cardassians should've nuked Bajor

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Cardassians should've nuked Bajor

Pretty sure they did. Cleaning up radiation damage to the land is mentioned in a couple of episodes. As well as damage from chemical and biological weapons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

You dare to forget Kang, Koloth, and the Dahar Master, Kor? (DS9 versions)

Same Klingons. Same actors. Same "versions"

no augment virus

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The spoonies totally built a bunch of purposely faulty nuclear reactors.

Come on down to Crazy Legat Merat's CBRN Emporium! We've got half off all containment devices for all Bajoran customers! (Literally half off, none of them close.) We pass the savings on to you, the kind and obedient people of Bajor.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Pretty sure they did. Cleaning up radiation damage to the land is mentioned in a couple of episodes. As well as damage from chemical and biological weapons.

The Bajor still have a habitable planet so obviously I am not referring to that. This rewatch is reminding me how annoying they all are.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Cythereal posted:

His kid was only in one episode and never mentioned again, fortunately.

We can all be thankful.

^^^^^^^^

I don't get the Bajoran hatred. The Bajorans are a mess, but they're a mess because they've just endured a century of occupation, anything they had resembling civil society is now gone, large sections of their society were enslaved or forced to live in refugee camps, almost all their leaders are former resistance/terrorist leaders who have been doing that their whole lives and believe that power comes from the barrel of a gun, and the only thing keeping them together is a religion that itself is pretty heavily factionalized and that faces accusations of its complicity in the occupation.

None of this lends itself to a stable society.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 9, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

I loving love Shatner just gnawing on the scenery as Evil Kirk, too.

"All right, Spock, whatever your game is, I'll play. Credits? You'll be a rich man! A command of your own? I can swing that too."

It also sets up for Spock burning Kirk and McCoy at the end, too. "The very flower of humanity."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Are we still talking about the Borg?

All the little things about Voyager Borg are just coming back to bother me now that I've watched it.

How does Seven meet a woman who was assimilated at Wolf 359? That ship was destroyed with all hands, no survivors. Where did she come from? Does she travel between the dimensions like the Queen?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That ruined my headcanon that Discovery WAS in the mirror universe given how edgy and dramatic it is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There Bajoran people are us. They're earthlings

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Epicurius posted:

We can all be thankful.

^^^^^^^^

I don't get the Bajoran hatred. The Bajorans are a mess, but they're a mess because they've just endured a century of occupation, anything they had resembling civil society is now gone, large sections of their society were enslaved or forced to live in refugee camps, almost all their leaders are former resistance/terrorist leaders who have been doing that their whole lives and believe that power comes from the barrel of a gun, and the only thing keeping them together is a religion that itself is pretty heavily factionalized and that faces accusations of its complicity in the occupation.

None of this lends itself to a stable society.

Sure. Realizing why people act a certain way is important. But in the case of the Bajorans the occupation is presented in such a mustache-twirling way (which, to be fair, can be entirely realistic) that it sort of backfires and you don't sympathize as much after the tenth episode it is discussed. It also doesn't help much knowing why people are acting like stupid assholes over and over when they keep being stupid assholes.

The Bajorans don't really grow up or change for the positive to any greater degree other than Kira and one-shot folks. Heck even the Ferengi by comparison have a set of character moments where they grow more likeable and mature, and through a visionary leader help start on a path towards positive change.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Considering the Bajorans were instantly on board with a theocratic dictatorship that reenslaved the population but this time to a mandatory system of caste-based occupations and social hierarchy, and then they were willing to worship the Pah Wraiths on a whim, it's probably lucky for everyone that Dukat didn't become Pah Wraith Jesus during the occupation or he'd be the most popular Pope-Emperor of Bajor ever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are Cardassians basically nazis?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

RC Cola posted:

They're way more interesting than that. If Kafka and Orwell teamed up to write a scifi empire it would probably be cardassia. They're a military dictatorship but they aren't fascists or nazi's.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Considering the Bajorans were instantly on board with a theocratic dictatorship that reenslaved the population but this time to a mandatory system of caste-based occupations and social hierarchy, and then they were willing to worship the Pah Wraiths on a whim, it's probably lucky for everyone that Dukat didn't become Pah Wraith Jesus during the occupation or he'd be the most popular Pope-Emperor of Bajor ever.

This was, by the way, an intentional choice by the writers as a racial trait for the Bajorans, not something that's being read into the show. The writers explicitly stated they wanted to show that the Bajorans had a nonhuman psychology.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Sure. Realizing why people act a certain way is important. But in the case of the Bajorans the occupation is presented in such a mustache-twirling way (which, to be fair, can be entirely realistic) that it sort of backfires and you don't sympathize as much after the tenth episode it is discussed. It also doesn't help much knowing why people are acting like stupid assholes over and over when they keep being stupid assholes.

The Bajorans don't really grow up or change for the positive to any greater degree other than Kira and one-shot folks. Heck even the Ferengi by comparison have a set of character moments where they grow more likeable and mature, and through a visionary leader help start on a path towards positive change.

It's this, honestly. I like what they are trying to do but it becomes so much of the same irredeemable bad-guy Bajoran stuff over and over. I definitely like DS9 a lot more on my rewatch than the first time, and I think this stuff is only irksome because I know where it's going this time. In any case, this is 100% the Federation's fault for playing space UN without an actual end-game (metaphors :iiam:).

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There Bajoran people are us. They're earthlings

Nuke Earth too. Not the Federation one, I mean ours.

RC Cola posted:

I would liken them more to British Empire than Nazis. Do horrible things for the good of the Queen, ol' chap. Or maybe the Ruskis? They're definitely not pure evil though, they just have a 'me first' philosophy that's even more brutal than the Ferengi's.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 9, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I would liken them more to British Empire than Nazis. Do horrible things for the good of the Queen, ol' chap. Or maybe the Ruskis? They're definitely not pure evil though, they just have a 'me first' philosophy that's even more brutal than the Ferengi's.

Plus, Dukat's all about the Grey Man's Burden. These poor benighted savages need to be exposed to our enlighted civilization, what what? We'll free them from their old superstitions, and bring them modern technology! What, they don't appreciate our selfless aid?

Shame he went native towards the end, but otherwise a wonderful example of Cardassia's generosity towards the lesser races.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Space Belgium, with a hint of Fascist Italy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Angry Salami posted:

Plus, Dukat's all about the Grey Man's Burden. These poor benighted savages need to be exposed to our enlighted civilization, what what? We'll free them from their old superstitions, and bring them modern technology! What, they don't appreciate our selfless aid?

Shame he went native towards the end, but otherwise a wonderful example of Cardassia's generosity towards the lesser races.

Really if you think about it Jake Sully is just a Dukat ripoff

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
There's definite elements of Nazism and fascism in the Cardassian ethos, but their racism seems to be more of a white man's burden type than a Nazi type. They saw themselves as benevolent superiors helping the helpless Bajorans. To the Cardassians - or at least their rationalizations - they were helping the Bajorans because they were a superior people. They weren't (at least not intentionally) trying to exterminate the Bajorans the way the Nazis felt they had to exterminate the Jews and other untermenschen.

The Cardassians are fantastic and fascinating characters and Dukat is, hands-down, the best villain Trek ever had. It's a goddamn shame he got so badly handled towards the end, but given how readily Americans are to go for fascist strongmen (look at recent history. Trump, unlike Alaimo/Dukat, isn't even charismatic! Also consider, more relevant to the time period, that folks didn't even catch Starship Troopers as satire!) I can kind of see why the writers felt the need to bash the audience over the head with 'dukat is ashole. Y siskoh hat?'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It would have been far more interesting if Dukat just wound up getting jobbed by one of his own pathetic schemes, dying anonymously in disgrace. Not how they went with him. Just an arrogant bastard who rises to supreme power and ultimately pushes himself out into obscurity, never to matter again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

He should have been cornered on Cardassia during the uprising and been Mussolinnied or Ceausescued.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm rewatching Enterprise now after finally having seen (most of) Voyager for the first time and it really drives home how stale the writing is.

Not just the "shields hull plating at 60%!" stuff, but even the characters. T'Pol sounds almost exactly like Seven of Nine right down to having the same catch phrases like "crude, but    (positive adjective)   " whenever humans get something done in a blunt or impulsive or rough way.

Mayweather has the exact same "whoa I have the bridge for the first time, dare I sit in the Captain's chair, no I dare not, yes I dare!" scenes as Kim.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dukat is, hands-down, the best villain Trek ever had.

Hear, hear. That dude's cognitive dissonance/denial, along with his need to be loved and respected, made him fascinating.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
At least the dog is cute?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
WATER POLO

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

corn in the bible posted:

At least the dog is cute?

A dog that can't eat cheese is living a miserable existence.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's an episode where Porthos is sick and Archer has a sexy dog funeral dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Nuke Earth too. Not the Federation one, I mean ours.

"You irradiated your own planet!?"