Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

gotta appreciate the gender equal rear end whipping

Bajaj posted:

non entertaining bullshit

please regale us with some tales of thailand, oh mighty plunger. how's the skating here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Bajaj posted:

I mean, I didn't need a news article to tell me that all those five and sixhead girls have five and sixheads

Hang on, I thought that was just skull bossing caused by malnutrition and heavy metal poisoning. The hair loss was incidental to that.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

ladron posted:

please regale us with some tales of thailand, oh mighty plunger. how's the skating here?
gently caress you, pay me.
Thailand is okay. Very uneventful, but relaxed. No plunging yet, though one girl came over and we did everything but plunge. She'll come again. I'm just not in the mood or into Thai girls too much. Maybe it's the accent (ok, definitely the accent). I started some work online that now takes up way too much time, so it's basically work, walk, sleep, every day with like one day off to go as far as possible into the city on foot and then collapse into a matcha slurpee for dinner. That and seeing my dad, who makes me watch a movie every time I go over there so I have to plan for 3+ hours of my afternoon to disappear on random days. It's pretty hectic to do what I want, and high-pitched women have been almost completely cast aside and I am completely fine with that.

I wanted to do a write up about Chaoshan Girl's experience here, but all it really do was make her realize how poor quality everything is in China and she got pretty sad about her life there.

WarpedNaba posted:

Hang on, I thought that was just skull bossing caused by malnutrition and heavy metal poisoning. The hair loss was incidental to that.
That was my theory for ages, but I mean that the evidence is right there in front of all our eyes about how bald so many women are there.

Myriarch posted:

Is this really the case? I don't know a lot about India, but I was pretty sure they were still relatively under capitalized with lackluster credit growth; little private spending and lots of government spending to placate farmers
It's not the same as China, but there's talk about how there's quite a bit of false numbers going around and how India's cheating the rest of the world currency market. Being one of the most corrupt countries in Asia, it's easy to feel that there's cheating going on and I am sure the IMF and other groups already know and are deciding how to handle it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ladron posted:

gotta appreciate the gender equal rear end whipping

China truly is a bastion of gender equality. The unnamed country can only salivate.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Some fun China chat in a reddit 4chan thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/greentext/comments/7ozsb1/his_strategies/

Spoilered for LANGUAGE.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That would be a totally reasonable and fair account of Mao's leadership if it wasn't for the pointless racial slurs.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/tongbingxue/status/950666863251509248

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They must have had good butts from all those squats.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

This is sad. Before ... the Cultural Revolution, I think? a lot of customs of old Beijing still survived with politeness rituals in the same vein of what we think about Japan.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
just another day on the Hong Kong MTR

https://my.mixtape.moe/pbqoel.mp4

By the looks of it, it's the West Rail line that goes out to the Western New Territories, also known as Angry Corrupt Villager Land

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
Ł

Pirate Radar posted:

Complaining about the chair wrapped around her would be embarrassing. She’s thinking “this is my life now”

To admit that she hadn't always been inside the chair would lose face,

Not so much "this is my life now" as "this has always been my life how dare you mention it"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Imperialist Dog posted:

just another day on the Hong Kong MTR

https://my.mixtape.moe/pbqoel.mp4

By the looks of it, it's the West Rail line that goes out to the Western New Territories, also known as Angry Corrupt Villager Land

Are those people in fluoro yellow jackets police? They're so comically ineffectual.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MTR staff.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hopefully the police will realise it was all a scam perpetrated by the woman in red at the top right who runs over and uses her telekinesis powers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Imperialist Dog posted:

This is sad. Before ... the Cultural Revolution, I think? a lot of customs of old Beijing still survived with politeness rituals in the same vein of what we think about Japan.

Before 4 decades of war bro. 1908 was when China was still the Qing dynasty.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

GotLag posted:

Are those people in fluoro yellow jackets police? They're so comically ineffectual.

Yeah railway staff. If they touch anyone they're liable to get sued. If that happens the MTR corp will wash their hands of the employee. It's not worth it. So it's a matter of call the police, then stand around looking concerned and wait

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
https://twitter.com/aaronMCN/status/950916718783741952

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I hope it goes to a lawsuit

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A China thing I have noticed is that they are perfectly happy to use half-finished buildings/shopping centres/amusement parks etc. I noticed it as well back in Chengdu, when the supposedly big and fancy 'culture park' that opened next to where I lived turned out to be a half empty, half completed concrete construction site filled with awful tacky statues, a fake pagoda, and mostly empty storefronts surrounded by a stagnant mosquito filled moat. Didn't stop the tourists from coming in their hordes though, and clogging up the bus I had to take to and from Uni.

So my school is building a new building for the kids classrooms, and they are slowly moving the kids from their old temporary classrooms in the old building into the new one. But the new building is only half finished, so the rooms are still covered in construction dust, the doors and fixtures still have the plastic on them etc. Also coz the building is only half finished, on the bottom floors there is still construction going on, with saws, and sparks and dust and concrete and all the noise and clamour that goes along with that good stuff.

It is also the end of the semester, so I am giving the kids their oral exams. Amongst the dust, amid the noise of an intermittent buzzsaw or angle grinder. Making it harder for me to speak, and for them to hear what I have to say. Another annoyance is that I have 55 kids in a class, and 45 mins for a lesson. So I have to spread these exams out over two weeks, and accurately evaluate their speaking skills in about a minute or so each. Which basically gives me just enough time to ask "What is your favourite movie? (Or equivalent type question), Why?" and when they say "No Why" try to drag something like a reason out of them in the minute I have.

This is a minor whinge, so I'm sorry.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BrigadierSensible posted:

the doors and fixtures still have the plastic on them

in asia you can expect to see this years after installation. no one ever takes the plastic off poo poo to preserve it and keep it looking new.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

ladron posted:

in asia you can expect to see this years after installation. no one ever takes the plastic off poo poo to preserve it and keep it looking new.

True enough, and all this accomplishes is that instead of looking new and shiny, it looks shabby and half-arsed.

Truly a much better solution than taking off the plastic and just cleaning it occasionally.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

True enough, and all this accomplishes is that instead of looking new and shiny, it looks shabby and half-arsed.

Truly a much better solution than taking off the plastic and just cleaning it occasionally.

now you get it

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

A China thing I have noticed is that they are perfectly happy to use half-finished buildings/shopping centres/amusement parks etc. I noticed it as well back in Chengdu, when the supposedly big and fancy 'culture park' that opened next to where I lived turned out to be a half empty, half completed concrete construction site filled with awful tacky statues, a fake pagoda, and mostly empty storefronts surrounded by a stagnant mosquito filled moat. Didn't stop the tourists from coming in their hordes though, and clogging up the bus I had to take to and from Uni.

So my school is building a new building for the kids classrooms, and they are slowly moving the kids from their old temporary classrooms in the old building into the new one. But the new building is only half finished, so the rooms are still covered in construction dust, the doors and fixtures still have the plastic on them etc. Also coz the building is only half finished, on the bottom floors there is still construction going on, with saws, and sparks and dust and concrete and all the noise and clamour that goes along with that good stuff.

theres a heavy dose of Face involved in "I said the building would be opened on Dec 3, so it will open on Dec 3. The lazy construction crew is half finished but if I change my date it means I somehow made a mistake and gently caress taking ownership of a mistake. We open it Dec 3 and if people complain we can blame the construction crew because we clearly held up our end of the arrangement"

I call this Grandma's Furniture Syndrome

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

LentThem posted:

I call this Grandma's Furniture Syndrome

just think how nice it looks under that plastic, tho

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
https://twitter.com/xavierkatana/status/950546189933363200

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fire Belching Hell Train is my new role model

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mordor is cool as heck.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Before 4 decades of war bro. 1908 was when China was still the Qing dynasty.

I think he's saying they survived even the Civil War and the war with Japan and were finally erased during the Cultural Revolution.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Quote does not equal edit.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
how does android work in china if all the google stuff is blocked?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

ladron posted:

All the Chinese phone developers take Android and bastardize it while trying to make it look as close to iOS as possible. AKA

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Some weather we had in Bangkok today. Also I stepped over a snake. I'm really hoping it wasn't dangerous.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Thomas the Tank Engine, the grimdark reboot.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

ladron posted:

It sucks your battery dry trying over and over to connect to Google’s servers all day long in the background. So uh, badly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amergin posted:

All the Chinese phone developers take Android and bastardize it while trying to make it look as close to iOS as possible. AKA

They cram the advertising for these phones into everything too. There’s like a weird acting competition/reality show where contestants act out stage dramas in front of some judges and a live audience, and get judged on their acting ability, and in front of every judge is an “Oppo R11s” on a nice display stand, it’s really hilariously jarring.

Mind you people still go out and buy unlocked iPhones from Japan or wherever pretty regularly.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some weather we had in Bangkok today. Also I stepped over a snake. I'm really hoping it wasn't dangerous.

Assuming you're over 50 kg, I'm pretty sure the snake was in as much danger.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

WarpedNaba posted:

Assuming you're over 50 kg, I'm pretty sure the snake was in as much danger.

I think most people just overestimate how dangerous snakes are, but I guess it could have been especially venomous or something. Everyone I've talked to about it has freaked out, though I think that's mostly just because they have an aversion to snakes.

I was mostly just on the warpath having had to swim to a loving taxi and then strong-arm the driver into taking me to work and didn't care if there was a deadly snake crossing the sidewalk under me after getting out of the cab. The driver didn't want to drive because the roads were bad. But it's loving Bangkok in a rainstorm. Every road is bad. And you're a taxi driver. Do your loving job or get off the road. He finally went when I threatened to take a picture of his taxi license, which of course pictured a different guy than him. Usually what happens is that the licensed driver will let a friend or brother or cousin drive the car while he sleeps and they split the money. It's super illegal, but I turn a blind eye to it so long as they run the meter.

And everyone I told that story to freaked out because these guys have a bad tendency to hit farang in the face with machetes. I was soaked to the bone and didn't give a flying gently caress any more. If it got me out of having to work in drenched clothes, I'd have loving welcomed it at that point.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think most people just overestimate how dangerous snakes are, but I guess it could have been especially venomous or something. Everyone I've talked to about it has freaked out, though I think that's mostly just because they have an aversion to snakes.

I was mostly just on the warpath having had to swim to a loving taxi and then strong-arm the driver into taking me to work and didn't care if there was a deadly snake crossing the sidewalk under me after getting out of the cab. The driver didn't want to drive because the roads were bad. But it's loving Bangkok in a rainstorm. Every road is bad. And you're a taxi driver. Do your loving job or get off the road. He finally went when I threatened to take a picture of his taxi license, which of course pictured a different guy than him. Usually what happens is that the licensed driver will let a friend or brother or cousin drive the car while he sleeps and they split the money. It's super illegal, but I turn a blind eye to it so long as they run the meter.

And everyone I told that story to freaked out because these guys have a bad tendency to hit farang in the face with machetes. I was soaked to the bone and didn't give a flying gently caress any more. If it got me out of having to work in drenched clothes, I'd have loving welcomed it at that point.

have u know about inland taipan? skank

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was gonna say, if that snake species is common enough that it fucks around a major city, chances are it's either not venomous (Otherwise extermination calls) or they've got a fuckton of antivenin around sommat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think he's saying they survived even the Civil War and the war with Japan and were finally erased during the Cultural Revolution.

That is correct. I can't remember where I read it though.

• Locked thread