Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

A hearty recommendation and a stark damnation of it in quick succession, aw yee

I would also note that I have not read the manga, and Burrito has not seen the anime, respectively, so that might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jenny Angel posted:

I tried watching a bunch of animes from 2016 and 2017 seasons recently, and the three that really clicked were Flip Flappers, Land of the Lustrous, and The Ancient Magus' Bride. Especially Flip Flappers, which I'm pretty sure is my second favorite anime now after Monster. Everything else I've tried, I've bounced off pretty quickly

What else should I look into from the last couple years if the animes listed above are my jam? Ones written by women (or based on manga / LNs written by women) would be a neat bonus given the trend so far, but it's far from a requirement

you'd probably dig girls' last tour

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rinkles posted:

That's the show with the Third Reich uniforms, right? I guess that element was superficial?

I mean, it's more "they aren't, really."

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Captain Invictus posted:

So lay it out for me, as someone who's not watched much anime or paid attention to any in the last few seasons, what about it makes it such a heinous crime that people post about hating it, but sometimes sound like they're being ironic?

It has a generally interesting premise about kids in an alien fantasy expedition that is also unfortunately written by a very blatant pedophile who really seems to like making said kids piss themselves in screaming agony.

If it was a boring premise people would probably just ignore it. It's the letdown that probably has so many people cranky about it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
made in abyss really just depends on how much you can enjoy a thing tolerating gross undertones because the author is a genuine creep and he makes no secret about it online

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I would also note that I have not read the manga, and Burrito has not seen the anime, respectively, so that might have something to do with it.

it definitely does. the anime frames the creepy bits differently, basically trying to lessen that aspect of the series. the anime also has a few more things to recommend it over the manga: amazing backgrounds and music, strong VA performances, and a good original episode. either way you experience it, you're getting a dark, interesting setting and a deeply affecting story about the horrors of nature and overcoming them/accompanying trauma.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I kind of set the thread on fire with my Fate order question, so I'm gonna try with JoJo to see if it's less controversial.

Do I just start with JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ufarn posted:

So I kind of set the thread on fire with my Fate order question, so I'm gonna try with JoJo to see if it's less controversial.

You actually want to start with the OVA, Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

ufarn posted:

Just start with the 2012 series!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ufarn posted:

Just watch the anime series in season order.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Crunchy roll has these weird edited episodes of the 2012 anime that are like, an hour long each and there's 3 of them covering the whole 26 episode run

My friend got into Jojo through that and he's not terribly hot on the whole thing, so whatever you do don't do that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
watching recap/compilation movies is rarely a good idea

especially since that's less opportunities to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrxwUxKiI5E

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I could see someone watching the part 1 summary if they're 3 episodes into phantom blood and going "man this is alright I guess" but cutting part 2 short is like, why even bother watching jojo?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Opinions on Devilman: Crybaby?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Opinions on Devilman: Crybaby?

Watch it with your kids

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's good but it's stuffed to the brim with sex and also a fair amount of gore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, it's more "they aren't, really."

people just see black military uniforms and assume nazi poo poo even though those outfits arent really similar to the ww2 german military uniforms at all, the closest part is the red insignia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jenny Angel posted:

I tried watching a bunch of animes from 2016 and 2017 seasons recently, and the three that really clicked were Flip Flappers, Land of the Lustrous, and The Ancient Magus' Bride. Especially Flip Flappers, which I'm pretty sure is my second favorite anime now after Monster. Everything else I've tried, I've bounced off pretty quickly

What else should I look into from the last couple years if the animes listed above are my jam? Ones written by women (or based on manga / LNs written by women) would be a neat bonus given the trend so far, but it's far from a requirement
wixoss is cool psychological character stuff. the card game aspect of it is pretty much completely ignored by the show even though the card game exists in real life so dont worry about that, its mostly just weird people being weird at each other and learning to be less weird. It also has some of the pensive, 'what the hell is going on' type mystery found in Lustrous.

kyousougiga is pretty similar to flipflappers in terms of being a colorful rabbithole type story, though the watch order can be pretty confusing and no matter how you slice it the first couple of episodes are pretty rough. definitely worth checking out, though.

If you enjoyed Ancient Magus Bride you'll probably enjoy other fantasy shoujo series. Snow White with the Red Hair is another enjoyable series about a young woman finding her place in the world, though it's much less pensive and much more focused on romance. though the romance doesn't overpower the main character's growth, it's definitely a big aspect of the story. Akatsuki no Yona is also a pretty good series, though it's much more action/adventurous and the anime cuts off just before the point where the story gets really, really good, so I'd recommend switching to reading the manga after you're done with the anime. Or just reading the manga straightup.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endorph posted:

people just see black military uniforms and assume nazi poo poo even though those outfits arent really similar to the ww2 german military uniforms at all, the closest part is the red insignia

It's the color scheme, and some of the embroidery---especially when there's no aiguillette (the ropey bit). But I'm not trying to make this a big deal, as someone that mostly heard of this second hand.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yona of the dawn is much better as a manga unless they plan to continue the anime, so I suggest reading the manga. Also, not sure how much of the squirrel they animate in it, but the manga version is always doing hilarious things while major, often life or death moments are happening

I wish attack on titan would catch up to the current arcs a little bit faster, at the rate we're going we won't see(recent spoilers) the attack on marley until like 2020 at the earliest

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

ninjewtsu posted:

It's good but it's stuffed to the brim with sex and also a fair amount of gore

Formative childhood animes were the Devilman OVAs and the Urotsukidojis, so that ain't no thing. Also UFO Robot Grendizer.

But in any case, good news.

Trip Report: Didn't expect Devilman: Crybaby to make me cry like a baby, but it did, twice! So well done on that front. Can't say that it wasn't really messy and needed editing and pruning to be a more cohesive narrative package, but I like the twists it put on Devilman for the most part and appreciated it more than I was irritated by some things. All in all, worth a watch!

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 9, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I've been aching for some new anime to watch. But I'm somewhat picky about it. I'm into 1) relatively light-hearted, not-too-serious, action/adventure anime as well as 2) straight up comedic ones. To give you an idea of what I like:

From the first category:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Tenchi Muyo/Universe (NOT TOKYO!)
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers
- Kenichi: The World's Strongest Disciple

Kenichi was the last anime in this category that I remember fully enjoying, so it's been a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are good anime like One Piece and My Hero Academia that I've seen, but they're not that high up for me personally. One Punch Man gets pretty close, though.

From the second category:

- Cromartie High
- Baka and Test
- My Name is Sakamoto

Here are the anime I've already seen that you don't need to mention:

- Hunter X Hunter
- My Hero Academia
- One Punch Man
- Dragonball (and all it's various incarnations. Obviously)
- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
- Sailor Moon
- Inuyasha
- Both Fullmetal Alchemists

Thanks in advance!

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 11, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist brotherhood

Saw that too. Didn't include it though cause it's a pretty serious show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For a Slayers-like equivalent, Chaika Coffin Princess was a fairly popular one. I wasn't that big of a fan but a lot of folks seemed to like it. Also Konosuba though that goes way, way more into the high strung comedic aspects.

Daily Lives of High School Boys and Nichijou remain the funniest shows I feel I've seen in a long while and would work for your second category.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
- Seto no Hanayome is a really fun romantic comedy, if you liked Ranma you've got a decent chance of liking this as well
- I'm currently watching Astro Fighter Sunred, and its weird style of comedy really reminds me of Cromartie. If you want something with less basic production values, Nichijou and Daily Lives of High School boys (aka Nichibros) are the go-to recommendations for absurd high school comedy
- Tiger & Bunny is a great blend of light hearted comedy and action

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh oh oh oh oh, Baccano! and Durarara!! for a super fun somewhat comedic action-ish romp.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Oh! Is Excel Saga any good? I used to hear everyone talk about it back in the day, but completely forgot it existed until someone brought it up again recently.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Excell Saga and Puni Puni Poemy are an... experience. Hope you like bizarre and often raunchy humour.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh! Is Excel Saga any good? I used to hear everyone talk about it back in the day, but completely forgot it existed until someone brought it up again recently.

It's good, but it's been a long time since I saw it and it may not have aged that well. Its main gimmick is that every episode is set up as a parody of a different anime genre, with things getting more and more insane over time. The non-aired final episode is called "Going too far" for a reason. And then there's Puni Puni Poemy...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fezball posted:

It's good, but it's been a long time since I saw it and it may not have aged that well. Its main gimmick is that every episode is set up as a parody of a different anime genre, with things getting more and more insane over time. The non-aired final episode is called "Going too far" for a reason. And then there's Puni Puni Poemy...

Not only did it explicitly and deliberately go so far that it can't be aired on TV, they went out of their way to it a minute too long for acceptable runtime. You know, just to be absolutely certain :allears:.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Mr Interweb posted:

I've been aching for some new anime to watch. But I'm somewhat picky about it. I'm into 1) relatively light-hearted, not-too-serious, action/adventure anime as well as 2) straight up comedic ones. To give you an idea of what I like:

From the first category:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers

Kenichi was the last anime in this category that I remember fully enjoying, so it's been a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are good anime like One Piece and My Hero Academia that I've seen, but they're not that high up for me personally. One Punch Man gets pretty close, though.

- Cromartie High
- Baka and Test
- My Name is Sakamoto

- Hunter X Hunter
- My Hero Academia
- One Punch Man
- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
- Sailor Moon
- Inuyasha

Thanks in advance!

You might like

Sabagebu!

A Cute Girls hang out and do [X], where X is airsoft and opposed to being "cute" the girls are instead hilariously spiteful and petty and prone to imagining their matches as over the top combat sequences.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Is a good high-school rom-com about odd-couples which leans about 90% comedy.

Mob Psycho 100

Is an action-comedy by the same author as One Punch Man and once again brings together great action, comedy and animation, only this time retaining ONE's original artstyle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

From the first category:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers

Kenichi was the last anime in this category that I remember fully enjoying, so it's been a while. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are good anime like One Piece and My Hero Academia that I've seen, but they're not that high up for me personally. One Punch Man gets pretty close, though
Have you checked out Gintama? It's long as gently caress but it's got a ton of gags and also a few good action scenes. The first few episodes of the anime adaptation are kind of weak though, it doesn't really hit its stride until the mid 20sish, which understandably makes it kinda clunky to get into. It's about samurai-era Japan where instead of Europeans arriving, aliens arrive, and so there's a bunch of gags about modern life, and modern tech, mixed in with the more traditional Japanese architecture and stuff, which does give it a bit of a unique texture. I've often heard its sense of humor compared to Cromartie.

Also, since you seem to like 90s/early 2000s action shows, Trigun's a real good one, and not that long, if you never saw it back in the day. Lots of cool gunplay, and the main character's hilarious when he gets going, not to mention there's some clever gags about how he deals with his general pacifism despite being in a kind of sci-fi wild west.

Tsukikage Ran's a comedy/action thing about a wandering female samurai. Some of the gags get dragged out a bit too long (Ran's drinking habits can only be funny for so long) but the action's super well-animated and there's this kind of humble, homey atmosphere to it that makes even the less funny jokes kind of charming, and it has some really great gags in there too. I'd definitely recommend checking out the first episode to see if it works for you.

Samurai Champloo's another samurai show, obviously - it gets downright weird in places (there's an entire episode about baseball, somehow) but the action's well-done, the characters all have interesting little arcs, and there's some good jokes mixed in. It's by the Cowboy Bebop director, if you ever watched that.

Ushio to Tora is a recent anime adaptation of a pretty old manga. It definitely scratches those oldschool shonen itch, just in terms of how it's written, and it's also pretty good on its own - the main characters have an appealing dynamic that grows over the course of the series, and there's some actually pretty interesting villains. And the fights are pretty good.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mr Interweb posted:

From the first category:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers

- Cromartie High
- Baka and Test
- My Name is Sakamoto

- Hunter X Hunter
- My Hero Academia
- One Punch Man
- Naruto
- Bleach
- One Piece
- Sailor Moon
- Inuyasha

Thanks in advance!

Light-hearted action-adventure:
Rage of Bahamut - Genesis is exactly that, patterned after classic Western fantasy like the princess bride. Its gorgeous, too.

Comedy:
Konosuba is a hillarious fantasy comedy that definitely takes some cues from slayers.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Mr Interweb posted:

- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Outlaw Star
- Ranma 1/2
- Slayers

Going with the theme of "90's action/comedy", I would recommend you watch The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It's sci-fi and spaceships with a heavy focus on comedy, from 1993.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.

Second, lets go for some darker superhero/action orientated stuff that still manages to be uplifting in the end. Stuff like Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evengellion.

And, this might be a big ask, but try to recommend stuff that doesn't feature as much of the creepier stuff that anime is known for as possible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey all, I'm kind of just now getting back into anime and manga. So let's ask for two recommendations.

First up I recently finished Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. Loved it. It's sweet, gay as hell, I think it's funny, and just all around chill. It reminds me of stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi Suzumiya. More stuff like that would be great.

You might enjoy Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, Hidamari Sketch, Non Non Biyori, or Flying Witch. Also Usagi Drop (anime only, under no circumstances should you read the manga.)

Alternatively, the studio that made Dragon Maid and Haruhi, KyoAni, also did K-on and Sound Euphonium, and they're both very good, though the latter doesn't really do the funny/chill thing quite as much.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 12, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BigRed0427 posted:

Second, lets go for some darker superhero/action orientated stuff that still manages to be uplifting in the end. Stuff like Madoka Magica and Neon Genesis Evengellion.

And, this might be a big ask, but try to recommend stuff that doesn't feature as much of the creepier stuff that anime is known for as possible.

Right on target:
- Kemonozume
- Revolutionary Girl Utena

Might not be dark enough:
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Baccano!
- Land of the Lustrous

Might not be uplifting enough:
- Devilman Crybaby (really good but REALLY graphic, and if you found Evangelion's ending uplifting you should be okay)
- Katanagatari
- Parasyte

Might not be action-y enough:
- Steins;Gate

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i haven't seen evangelion but devilman's ending is the bleakest piece of fiction i think i've ever experienced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

BigRed0427 posted:

If you're looking for relaxing slice-of-life with fantasy elements, this past year had Demi-Chan Wa Katanari and Konohana Kitan. Demi-Chan is a very sweet, chill slice-of-life about high school girls who are also mythological creatures; it's a very lightweight metaphor for disability, and I loved it. You also sound like you might like Konohana Kitan, which is "gay as hell and just all around chill". Neither have many creepy elements. Certainly tamer than Dragon Maid.

BigRed0427 posted:

I second the recommendation of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Also, the first season of Symphogear might be up your alley! Later seasons are lighter in tone, but Symphogear starts out dark and ends up extremely uplifting. There's one scene that's kind of :gonk: and you'll know it when you see it, but otherwise it's tamer than Dragon Maid.

ninjewtsu posted:

i haven't seen evangelion but devilman's ending is the bleakest piece of fiction i think i've ever experienced

Are we talking like, Blood Meridian bleak? Because Blood Meridian actually made me physically sick. I literally had to lie down for a minute. It's a hell of a book.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2018