Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Just finished Detention (I know, I know...finally) and it was a pretty great experience but it was disappointingly short. Really like the overall aesthetic the game goes for and the story pulls off being nuanced and subtle without being too subtle, which is something I see bringing down a lot of other psychological horror games. I'm glad I saw almost nothing about the game before playing it (other than seeing folks praising it a lot)! It might be my favorite horror game of the last year.

My only gripe with the game is the really dumb, pointless jump scare in the room with the radio--woman just appears on screen as you take the item and leave, but never shows up anywhere and the character doesn't react at all. It was such an awfully-done scare in an otherwise fantastic game, I really don't understand why it's there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I beat Doki Doki Literature Club and while it deserves every inch of praise it's gotten, the dev did miss a trick when it came to the meta-horror, I thought. I caught the graffiti on the wall in Sayori's suicide that leads you to the game folder and the traceback file, and when I saw the bit about "deleting her" I looked at the characters folder, checked inside and saw that yup, there was no sayori.chr, thought "oh okay so that's the rules now, I can play that game too"... and made a backup of the characters folder. Unfortunately it turns out that the game doesn't react at all if you put the characters back after Monika deletes them, nor does it react to putting Monika back when Sayori goes self-aware in the ending. Like I said, I feel like that's a missed opportunity. If the game reacts to the deletion of character files, it should react to their re-introduction too -- all I was really expecting was Monika to see what I was doing, scold me/glitch out a bit, and then re-delete them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It actually does if you try to put Monika back in after you delete her in the void. She says something to the effect of "Stop messing with my heart" and re-deletes herself

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
DDLC: The whole deleting characters thing really lost it's impact when Monika undeleted everyone, then redeleted everyone despite being deleted herself. There really isn't much consistency to it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Danaru posted:

DDLC: The whole deleting characters thing really lost it's impact when Monika undeleted everyone, then redeleted everyone despite being deleted herself. There really isn't much consistency to it.

She explained that just because the characters themselves were deleted didn't actually erase them, that they were just kinda floating through the air like a bunch of data and she was able to recover them from that. Her deleted state was just her sticking around in that form, just a cloud of particles moving invisibly through the air.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DeathChicken posted:

It actually does if you try to put Monika back in after you delete her in the void. She says something to the effect of "Stop messing with my heart" and re-deletes herself
Ha, my one chance and I missed it. I put her back in, but not until the game had restarted.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

FirstAidKite posted:

She explained that just because the characters themselves were deleted didn't actually erase them, that they were just kinda floating through the air like a bunch of data and she was able to recover them from that. Her deleted state was just her sticking around in that form, just a cloud of particles moving invisibly through the air.

I mean, isn't that technically how deleting data on a computer works anyway? You're not totally erasing the file, you're just telling the hard drive that its okay to write over this section again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

1stGear posted:

I mean, isn't that technically how deleting data on a computer works anyway? You're not totally erasing the file, you're just telling the hard drive that its okay to write over this section again.

Yeah, which goes further into some of the meta and ARG elements where Monika may very well be some kind of entity not entirely confined to the game,
just hitching a ride on the game like a hobo on a train. Even if that isn't the case, she's still powerful enough to stick around even in that deleted form and can restore the others so I assume reintroducing the file doesn't work that way because she'd still have to properly restore them from that deleted stage since the .chr files are only a portion of the characters, there are other aspects that don't get changed until Monika has to change them to try to avoid crashing the game. Stuff like the script which she ends up breaking due to her antics.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
I really enjoyed the metahorror in DDLC, are there other games that do it well?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Grey Face posted:

They're nothing alike, but if you're looking for a game that'll reach past the fourth wall and attack you personally for having the temerity to play it, Spec Ops: The Line is... very much that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So no one found DDLC lackluster? The trigger warnings spoil everything at the start, and the writing isnt or wasnt trying to be subtle enough where you couldn't see those things coming knowing they're there. The few things that don't rely on what the trigger warnings were for are the only really unnerving and surprising things.

CapnAndy posted:

They're nothing alike, but if you're looking for a game that'll reach past the fourth wall and attack you personally for having the temerity to play it, Spec Ops: The Line is... very much that.

Sold, I'm all down for fourth wall breakage. I think I remember reading an interview with someone about this game before it came out now that I think about it.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 11, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

spec ops kind of hits a snag in that ultimately you're most likely paying money for a game and the message of 'wow you suck for doing this' kind of doesn't translate well in a game where you only really have one path through it all, but beyond that it's actually a pretty cool little story told in a fun way. it's worth checking out, even if watching a lets play of it

https://lparchive.org/Spec-Ops-The-Line-(by-CJacobs)/ this one is pretty good

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 11, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think spec ops the line was a ps+ on ps3 title. The message came across much better then.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Johnny Joestar posted:

spec ops kind of hits a snag in that ultimately you're most likely paying money for a game and the message of 'wow you suck for doing this' kind of doesn't translate well in a game where you only really have one path through it all, but beyond that it's actually a pretty cool little story told in a fun way. it's worth checking out, even if watching a lets play of it

https://lparchive.org/Spec-Ops-The-Line-(by-CJacobs)/ this one is pretty good

It’s not there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oldpainless posted:

It’s not there

for some reason the forum doesn't like including bits of URLs with parentheses around it, so just add the '(by-CJacobs)/' bit at the end along with the rest and it should work right

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

oldpainless posted:

It’s not there

The auto format messed stuff up. Try this:

https://lparchive.org/Spec-Ops-The-Line-(by-CJacobs)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Thanks

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grey Face posted:

imscared did many of the same things and more, years before this, or Undertale. Not perfect by any means, but well worth a try.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
I'm trying not to spoil anything, but reading a let's play and actually playing the game are fundamentally different. I encourage everyone to consider playing through Spec Ops.

And don't read about it. Seriously, even what was said in this thread may be too much.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
More like oldthankle-

nevermind

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Regarde Aduck posted:

There's no flip.

I thought we were done with this conversation, but if you insist...

Winning is defined as winding up in the final location/form, not coming out of the machine. Also, the machine scans a lot more than memories - it possibly captures every single interaction and connection of your brain, every instinct, every heuristic, every personality quirk, ever process, and the 'memories' are just an emergent side effect, not the thing it's actually copying.

I do agree that A, the person who enters the machine, always wins - but person B, the one who steps out of the machine, loses. Person C, who winds up in the new body/world, wins. There is a 100% chance of A waking up as C and winning - but there's also a 100% chance of A waking up as B and losing. It's not a "coin flip", it's a river flowing down a stream until it hits a split, and there's a 100% chance it follows both paths.

The suicide-on-scan folks argument is that if they kill B, then there is no loser - there was one of them before, and there's one of them now, and no others exist, so therefore there is no future where there is a loser.

In unrelated stuff:

I am still playing Darkwood and I don't entirely know why? Mechanically, I still hate so much about it. So much of the game is stupid inventory juggling that adds nothing of value thematically and I don't get it. Also, I killed the Sow because the assholes outside attacked me unprompted, without realizing it would starve the village, a place I hadn't visited yet, and make them hate me - the Pigpen was the first place I ran across and it was on the opposite side of the map so I don't quite get it.

But It's definitely got some sort of pull and appeal. Exploring places is enjoyable. I want to jam as many mushrooms into my veins as possible in pursuit of more and more hallucinations even though I don't quite know why I am doing it. I am tempted to just start slaughtering everyone I come across to see what happens (except the trader, of course, he's great. And Piotrek, but he already left in his rocketship anyway). Everyone else here is a monster (including me) so why the hell not?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 11, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mosch posted:

I'm trying not to spoil anything, but reading a let's play and actually playing the game are fundamentally different. I encourage everyone to consider playing through Spec Ops.

And don't read about it. Seriously, even what was said in this thread may be too much.
I agree very strongly with this; Spec Ops' punches are aimed at you, the player. A passive experience blunts the points it's trying to make.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So no one found DDLC lackluster? The trigger warnings spoil everything at the start, and the writing isnt or wasnt trying to be subtle enough where you couldn't see those things coming knowing they're there. The few things that don't rely on what the trigger warnings were for are the only really unnerving and surprising things.

several people did but mostly that was all expressed a few months ago

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wtf are you talking about? Sure, it's pretty obvious that someone is going to kill themselves. What's not spoiled is that they do so because a character in the game falls in love with you the player to such an extent that she exaggerates the worst of every character to force them to do themselves in, loving up the game's code and graphics in the process and eventually deleting the world. If you tell me you saw all that coming then I am going to say that is bullshit.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

Wtf are you talking about? Sure, it's pretty obvious that someone is going to kill themselves. What's not spoiled is that they do so because a character in the game falls in love with you the player to such an extent that she exaggerates the worst of every character to force them to do themselves in, loving up the game's code and graphics in the process and eventually deleting the world. If you tell me you saw all that coming then I am going to say that is bullshit.

Like I said they weren't subtle about the depression, and when that was clear and Monica was having her little private talk, and yeah I'm sorry it was telegraphed all to hell. There are only so many ways you can break the fourth wall in a schoolgirl anime dating sim so...did you really expect a different subversion?

GulagDolls posted:

several people did but mostly that was all expressed a few months ago

What's you're point? It came back up in the thread, problem?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 11, 2018

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So no one found DDLC lackluster?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

What's you're point? It came back up in the thread, problem?

You said "no one found" and now you're getting huffy after friend Gulag here explained it for you.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Skyscraper posted:

You said "no one found" and now you're getting huffy after friend Gulag here explained it for you.

I meant people recently talking about it but whatever, I'll leave the clique to itself.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'll leave the clique to itself.

cool cool

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Winning is defined as winding up in the final location/form, not coming out of the machine. Also, the machine scans a lot more than memories - it possibly captures every single interaction and connection of your brain, every instinct, every heuristic, every personality quirk, ever process, and the 'memories' are just an emergent side effect, not the thing it's actually copying.

I do agree that A, the person who enters the machine, always wins - but person B, the one who steps out of the machine, loses. Person C, who winds up in the new body/world, wins. There is a 100% chance of A waking up as C and winning - but there's also a 100% chance of A waking up as B and losing. It's not a "coin flip", it's a river flowing down a stream until it hits a split, and there's a 100% chance it follows both paths.

The suicide-on-scan folks argument is that if they kill B, then there is no loser - there was one of them before, and there's one of them now, and no others exist, so therefore there is no future where there is a loser.

no.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

[proceeds to drop derail fodder with bad-think]

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

and when that was clear and Monica was having her little private talk, and yeah I'm sorry it was telegraphed all to hell.

That's... the actual reveal though. Like she literally tells you that's what's going on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys I could tell Darth Vader was Luke's dad, it was so obvious when he said "I am your father" that I can't believe no one didn't see it coming after that.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I meant people recently talking about it but whatever, I'll leave the clique to itself.

<_> i was just saying that most people who didn't like it aren't going to keep bringing it up to trash it whenever it's mentioned, and there was a significant 'meh' reaction but you didn't specify recent people

i just finished the house in fata morgana. it's not really 'horror.' it's...gothic thriller? but if anyone even slightly likes visual novels ( i've stayed away from most of the genre) you should check it out. it's extremely impressive

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 12, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I reinstalled Pathologic recently, and instilled me with that ambient feeling I can only describe as "I feel like someone's already dug my grave"

I have no idea why I love this game but dammit I do, despite not making it past the second day most of the time (This is only my second attempt on the HD version, where the translation is actually legible, so it's going way better)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

<_> i was just saying that most people who didn't like it aren't going to keep bringing it up to trash it whenever it's mentioned, and there was a significant 'meh' reaction but you didn't specify recent people

i just finished the house in fata morgana. it's not really 'horror.' it's...gothic thriller? but if anyone even slightly likes visual novels ( i've stayed away from most of the genre) you should check it out. it's extremely impressive

fata morgana is insanely good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GlyphGryph posted:

Wrong. Kill yourself.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yo if you're going to tell him wrong at least explain why so I can enjoy the :words: tyia

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The cruellest horror is the one you die without knowing why

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

But have you considered.... yes???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ibram Gaunt posted:

fata morgana is insanely good.

I’ve been seeing that in the Steam thread as well so I purchased both it and Steinsgate (another one I’ve seen mentioned as good) and am slowly going through it. I’ve not really played a lot of visual novels though, should I be saving a lot when I get to choices or is it more “let it unfold” type thing?

I’ve not googled it for fear of spoilers as well, I’m just in the very beginning