Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I started a new run after 2 years of not playing and i ended up shopping for materials and ingredients and just smithing and enchanting all day. alc+enc+smith combo haha.

when i start doing the main quest ill probably end up oneshotting everything and being invisible forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Randaconda posted:

I've restarted so much I've added those three mods that add shortcuts from Dragonkeep to Bleakfalls, the Greybeards, and the dungeon you get the horn from since after running through them 40 times to get all three words of Fus Do Rah I was mighty sick of them.

I don't like your avatar

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't like your avatar

:randno:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Randaconda posted:

I've restarted so much I've added those three mods that add shortcuts from Dragonkeep to Bleakfalls, the Greybeards, and the dungeon you get the horn from since after running through them 40 times to get all three words of Fus Do Rah I was mighty sick of them.

Link please? I've been thinking about restarting.
Is there one that eliminates most of the dialog from when you first meet the Greybeards? I'd loving rather run up the mountain again than deal with all that.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

MadJackMcJack posted:

Guys, I think I messed up somewhere. I've got 250+ mods installed on Skyrim SE, I'm 20 + hours into the game and it's still working. I've never got this far before, what do I do?

Swap from MO2 to NMM mid game.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't like your avatar

I didn't choose it. :shrug:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

Link please? I've been thinking about restarting.
Is there one that eliminates most of the dialog from when you first meet the Greybeards? I'd loving rather run up the mountain again than deal with all that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/7565474?tab=user+files

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

managed to reinstall all my mods. hopefully they wont all be deleted overnight for no reason again

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a way, through mod or console or whatever, to keep the interior of your Hearthfire home from resetting? I spent a bunch of time setting up a nice display and I come back a week later to find it ruined by the game respawning the default items.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I didn't choose it. :shrug:

You should make one that mixes your old avatar with the "Probated" avatar, with the text "This user is on Probation: Can't go to the superbowl for 23 seasons!"

Also, GunnerJ and I are working on the revamped OP and he noted that as of now it's fifty-three pages long. :randno:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Crafting in the Cloud mod seems stupendously useful.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a way, through mod or console or whatever, to keep the interior of your Hearthfire home from resetting?
You can flag those cells with the noreset flag with the CK or xEdit. Pretty sure you can find a mod on the Oldrim nexus that does exactly that, that you can port over to SkyrimSE.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Raygereio posted:

You can flag those cells with the noreset flag with the CK or xEdit. Pretty sure you can find a mod on the Oldrim nexus that does exactly that, that you can port over to SkyrimSE.

I have no idea how to go about porting a mod to SE. I have no clue why the houses would even reset in the first place; what's the point of having a home if you can't decorate it???

EDIT: Found a mod on nexus, hope it works

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 12, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea how to go about porting a mod to SE. I have no clue why the houses would even reset in the first place; what's the point of having a home if you can't decorate it???

EDIT: Found a mod on nexus, hope it works

Open oldrim mod in SE CK, re-save. done.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

that's so practical and useful that it feels like a cheat mod

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, GunnerJ and I are working on the revamped OP and he noted that as of now it's fifty-three pages long. :randno:

To be clear, that's all three opening posts that currently exist, it's not like additions to it since then have bloated it (yet).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Halser posted:

That's because it IS a cheat mod

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

To be clear, that's all three opening posts that currently exist, it's not like additions to it since then have bloated it (yet).

I also wanted to point out: That'swithout images.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's because it IS a cheat mod

In a game with easy fast travel I'd argue that it's more a convenience than a cheat, it's not removing any meaningful challenge

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Anything that cuts down on pointless busywork is fine by me. I've recently been taking into consideration how games respect my time when forming opinions of them, which isn't something I really thought about before. In this case, you can respect your own time with a mod like that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Weight exists to keep your from just blindly looting everything you see. If you want to do that anyways you might as well just mod out weight/make it irrelevant. Mods like that alchemy storage one are weird half measures where the player clearly doesn't want to deal with weight but they aren't just removing it entirely because ????

Though this game has a severe lack of gold sinks given how easy it is to make money. If you aren't buying tons of high level spells there doesn't seem to be anything to spend money on. Are there any mods that add gold sinks so I'm not just sitting on a comically large gold pile past level 20?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

So does it make a bunch of chests with scripts attached that copy anything you put into them that you open and use normally, or will it actually JIT stuff to you as needed when you try to make something?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Halser posted:

Without that mod, would you:

a) painstakingly carry back every last chunk of scrap metal that can be melted, doing multiple trips if necessary, or

b) just fill up your backpack with the most valuable stuff and leave the rest where it is

If you would do a), it's a convenience mod. If you would do b), it's a cheat mod.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

wiegieman posted:

So does it make a bunch of chests with scripts attached that copy anything you put into them that you open and use normally, or will it actually JIT stuff to you as needed when you try to make something?

I use Attached Storage, which is a similar mod with larger tracking. It does actually put stuff in your inventory when you go to use crafting stations if you have it setup that way, does auto-deposit/withdrawal options and so on. And you can define your own shared container types with it too - I have a box that takes all my bones for Ordinator’s skeleton minions.

I’m not sure what this does over Attached Storage to make it worthwhile honestly.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Internet Kraken posted:

Weight exists to keep your from just blindly looting everything you see. If you want to do that anyways you might as well just mod out weight/make it irrelevant.

I agree with you. I usually do just mod my carry weight. That's because if I come across loot I want I'm not going to say to myself "welp, can't carry it, guess I'll just leave it here", instead I am going to do the logical thing and go back to my house/storage and make room for the loot I found. Then you end up doing this like 500 times.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I prefer mods that reduce weight on certain things instead. It still forces you to make a choice when it comes to equipment, but I really don't want to be worrying about misc item weights and poo poo like that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Crumbletron posted:

I prefer mods

Hell, same.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean if you're going to give a poo poo about carry weight for immersion reasons then the weight of almost everything should be jacked WAY up. As it stands you can be kitted out in full steel plate armor, carrying a war hammer, 7 studded hide armors and assorted boots and helmets from dead bandits, 15 potions, 10 hunks of cheese, 17 bottles of wine, 8 books, 18 pieces of metal ore and a few soul gems, and you're at only about two-thirds of your starting carrying capacity. Your personal carrying capacity, your follower(s) can also carry as much again by themselves.

So yeah, if you make the decision to not give a poo poo about that because it makes for unfun gameplay, it's not exactly a leap across the Grand Canyon to decide to console your carry weight to 1000000 and forget it exists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand they tend to kinda exaggerate the weight of weapons and armors.

More than the weight, what's missing for (immersive) realistic inventory management is cumbersomeness. Some stuff can be both lightweight and cumbersome because it takes a lot of space.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
They should take a page from Dark Souls and only give you weight based on what's currently equipped, and associate a skilltree to weight training or something. It would also make the heavy armor / light armor choice more meaningful.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

They should take a page from Dark Souls and only give you weight based on what's currently equipped, and associate a skilltree to weight training or something. It would also make the heavy armor / light armor choice more meaningful.

Light armor is functionally better but most of the really cool looking armors (even in Immersive Armors) are heavy so it's already a meaningful tough choice? :confused:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gimbal lock posted:

But that's not the purpose of weight. Bethesda puts weight in these games so you are encouraged to actually put thought into looting. They don't want you to just blindly vacuum up everything in a dungeon, which is what you would do if you had no weight limit because there's no reason not too. This design made more sense before Oblivion because you couldn't just fast travel to some storage area and then back to wherever you were before. Now its only relevant if you are stuck in the middle of a dungeon when you hit the carry limit.

Weight doesn't exist for ~immersion~, its primary function is an attempt to add a layer of strategy to looting by forcing the player to put thought into what they want too carry. Of course it doesn't work very well and it seems most players would rather just remove it altogether.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 13, 2018

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Internet Kraken posted:

This design made more sense before Oblivion because you couldn't just fast travel to some storage area and then back to wherever you were before. Now its only relevant if you are stuck in the middle of a dungeon when you hit the carry limit.

As you say, the design doesn't make any sense anymore. What the original intention of the design was is now irrelevant.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

But that's not the purpose of weight. Bethesda puts weight in these games so you are encouraged to actually put thought into looting. They don't want you to just blindly vacuum up everything in a dungeon, which is what you would do if you had no weight limit because there's no reason not too. This design made more sense before Oblivion because you couldn't just fast travel to some storage area and then back to wherever you were before. Now its only relevant if you are stuck in the middle of a dungeon when you hit the carry limit.

Weight doesn't exist for ~immersion~, its primary function is an attempt to add a layer of strategy to looting by forcing the player to put thought into what they want too carry. Of course it doesn't work very well and it seems most players would rather just remove it altogether.

The limit is too liberal to really matter but not liberal enough to not be (really) annoying.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I like convenience things like carry weight becoming less burdensome over time, or at some kind of opportunity cost. Getting to expert level alteration for Apocalypse's Deep Storage spell or using Aurora's Steed Stone (instead of one of the other more combat-related stones) feels like a nice progression and doesn't make looting feel shallow and meaningless to me. I used to always cut my starting carry weight down to 100 or so which allowed me to use some of the bags and bandoleer mods for cosmetic and functional expansion over time.

e: Adding to stamina is technically an option, but one that feels super lovely if you're using mostly spells. The rate increase per investment is also terrible if you're just using it for carry weight.

graynull fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gimbal lock posted:

As you say, the design doesn't make any sense anymore. What the original intention of the design was is now irrelevant.

You can simulate the original design if you restrict your use of fast travel. I only fast travel while at major settlements, so when I'm just roaming the wilderness the weight limit is actually relevant. But yes, if you fully "abuse" instant fast travel and storage then weight limit is almost entirely pointless. And you can't fault someone for doing that since A) its literally just using the mechanics in their intended fashion and B) its circumventing a mechanic that isn't terribly interesting in the first place.

A bigger problem to me is that I don't have any reason to actually keep looting now. I'm setting on 15k gold and have nothing to spend it on. Merchants don't carry gear for me to upgrade too and I already bought all the spells I need at the moment. So why keep picking stuff up? I wish there was more stuff to spend gold on but admittedly I have no idea what that would be.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Any suggestions on mods that add content to SSE? Little stuff, not huge land masses. I’d prefer mods that add something interesting as opposed to mods that just add filler buildings with bland filler npcs. Ideally something like a new inn that maybe has a new quest line or two. Something like that.

Are any of the ETAC like mods worth installing? Like arthmoors mini town add ons, or the one that adds a bunch of inns?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

You can simulate the original design if you restrict your use of fast travel. I only fast travel while at major settlements, so when I'm just roaming the wilderness the weight limit is actually relevant. But yes, if you fully "abuse" instant fast travel and storage then weight limit is almost entirely pointless. And you can't fault someone for doing that since A) its literally just using the mechanics in their intended fashion and B) its circumventing a mechanic that isn't terribly interesting in the first place.

A bigger problem to me is that I don't have any reason to actually keep looting now. I'm setting on 15k gold and have nothing to spend it on. Merchants don't carry gear for me to upgrade too and I already bought all the spells I need at the moment. So why keep picking stuff up? I wish there was more stuff to spend gold on but admittedly I have no idea what that would be.

Have you been buying property in the holds? That poo poo is a huge gold sink and required if you want to be thane of anywhere but Whiterun. Solitude's house is 25k alone before you get any of the upgrades.

Of course I only care since Im doing a Legacy of the Dragonborn run and that makes gold super goddamn tight since it adds so many artifacts and gewgaws to buy. And ypu need to be a Thane to get each hold's unique weapon etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 13, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zore posted:

Have you been buying property in the holds? That poo poo is a huge gold sink and required if you want to be thane of anywhere but Whiterun. Solitude's house is 25k alone before you get any of the upgrades.

Of course I only care since Im doing a Legacy of the Dragonborn run and that makes gold super goddamn tight since it adds so many artifacts and gewgaws to buy. And ypu need to be a Thane to get each hold's unique weapon etc.

What's the point of buying property in every city though? It takes long enough to decorate one house, I'd never get to play the game if I did more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the point of buying property in every city though? It takes long enough to decorate one house, I'd never get to play the game if I did more than that.

You get to be a Thane which means another housecarl companion in each. Also some minor quests and the ability to crime and get away scott free :shrug: