Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Galarox posted:

Just for you Crazy :dance: :glomp:

I keep thinking each new piece is my favorite, but then a new favorite comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Galarox posted:

:kimchi:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Preen Dog posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/i-have-been-cursed-as-a-ball-disappointed

quote:

When ever i re spawn i am this small ball i can't interact with anything i am in fact trapped in my room that you spawn in.I am aware that i am no special snowflake in this issue and was wondering if anybody knew when i would be cured?

The worst kind of persistence.

Trilobite posted:

Erin's entire skeleton is slumping, taking on the appearance of an abandoned scoop of ice cream melting on the sidewalk (symbolically linked to a childhood joy ruined carelessly that no one will ever even attempt to save). Even in a single frame, the drama is almost too much to take.

:perfect:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wow! Deep cover goon go troll this guy! By agreeing with: "The only valid criticism of SC is that it is too ambitious" and "We can't say the game will fail, nor can we say it will be a success" :laffo:
(I'm not on :reddit: or I would)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Preen Dog posted:

I don't know, any game can be slow if you code it poorly. The engine isn't going to stop you from using inefficient algorithms or neglecting optimization. It's guaranteed that SC has basically no optimization at all, as the application is just a crude front for a funding vehicle. They even spin this as a positive, implying that the performance is bad because of "fidelity". You can cut the performance of an application by any amount just by adding one unnecessary computation. Some things they're definitely screwing up:

No mesh or texture budgets for any assets (a 1% complete alpha that already what, a 30GB download?). They show no recognition that simple graphics are necessary for an MMO.

Lazy, or no, LOD implementation. The ships have at least two LODS, but I don't know if the million-poly commandos do. At least, they didn't when they were doing their 50 player load tests a few months back (4 FPS just looking at a crowd of distant commandos, 40 fps looking away).

No graphics options (lol). I wonder if there is at least a config file that you can tinker with.

Lazy, or no draw culling. If a commando is walking around in a distant ship, and the ship has windows, how do you know if you should render the commando or not? Does this client have to animate his mesh skin, or just the bones, or nothing? What about if a ship is parked in Levski, and you're not sure if it should be visible from your location, hovering outside? What if a ship is hovering behind a building, but that building has visible gaps in it? Sounds hard; just draw this stuff all the time. To be fair, they are doing some kind of tree culling for ship parts and rooms, but it's broken (Doors, ramps, and hallways sometimes flicker or disappear inappropriately). Their insistence on having objects nested within objects within objects within objects dynamically attached to other objects makes this a tough problem.

Monolithic, general-purpose shaders that are probably 95% needless calculations, most of the time (eg. the shader is computing outputs from maps that are just flat white). Why make a variety of specialized shaders when you can use a few big slow ones?

Flying physics using a plethora of forces and counter-forces that could have been simplified to a few thrusts and torques while achieving the exact same (or better) feel.

Computing physics and collisions for other ships and players when the server could just tell you were they are (the server just disagrees with you, anyway, which is why debris jitters so much, or hoverbikes spaz out if you're not the rider). Computing anything at all when these players and ships are not visible to you.

Receiving RPC noise from the server all the time. If you hear the shopkeeper speaking from across the galaxy, what other garbage information are you latently receiving? Given that players are reporting data consumption of over 200KB/s (a guy on spectrum was mad because he's on a fixed data plan) in the PU, I would guess, all of it.

All the Crysis games look fine and can be made to run smooth on the minimum hardware.

Reminder that Prey looks fantastic, runs with 'localised physics grids' (transitions between rooms on the same level were gravity/air act differently) and is as smooth as loving butter, all on Cryengine.

Galarox posted:

The scene where the marketing guru explains his view on economics to Caesar would fit perfectly.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Galarox posted:

Thanks! Still working on my special Titanic shop... about 4 hours in now and having real trouble making it work, but I'll get there. Hint: it is based upon the D450, one of my fave shitposts that you did.:v:

Haha. I have faith anything you do will be utterly fantastic. You’ve got some seriously mad and awesome talent, friend!

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Reminder that Prey looks fantastic, runs with 'localised physics grids' (transitions between rooms on the same level were gravity/air act differently) and is as smooth as loving butter, all on Cryengine.

The scene where the marketing guru explains his view on economics to Caesar would fit perfectly.

lol I did actually do that and posted it. The marketing guru (Preposterus in UK english editions) is, in fact, a caricature of Jaques Chiraq, sometime French President from around the time that he was a rising political star and the mayor of Paris I believe. I can dig it up if you like, but it really wasn't my best work. I just changed "menhir" to "Jpeg" - or rather "jaypegg" on that particular page.

Galarox fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 14, 2018

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're a loving idiot. And furthermore.

:negative:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Galarox posted:

with thanks to Bofast and thanks to the others who responded, but Bofast's was perfect imo.

:vince:

:five::five::five::five:
:five::five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're a loving idiot. And furthermore.

It must really suck that a game youve spent thousands on is going ro be this generations Hellgate: London.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

*scrolling past image*

More like The B-team

*scrolls back to check text*

:vince:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I've never even glanced in the direction of star citizen and I'm gonna go ahead and guess the delta patcher is not actually in.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Galarox posted:

lol I did actually do that and posted it. The marketing guru (Preposterus in UK english editions) is, in fact, a caricature of Jaques Chiraq, sometime French President from around the time that he was a rising political star and the mayor of Paris I believe. I can dig it up if you like, but it really wasn't my best work. I just changed "menhir" to "Jpeg" - or rather "jaypegg" on that particular page.

Yes, please!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Hey it looks like OldSchoolCmdr is posting again. All day it seems.

OldSchoolCmdr posted:

There are 4 specific and highly damaging causes of action in this complaint.

From my reading of the complaint and the response, I can safely say that even though CIG never responded to two of them - which itself are sufficient grounds for the motion to dismiss to be denied - CIG isn't likely to prevail on any of them if this goes to a jury.

It doesn't matter if CIG were to use CryEngine exclusively or not, the crux of the matter is that the GLA was never terminated, and thus, all its conditions and warranties, remain in full force and effect. What remains then are how many of the conditions were breached, and what damages can be awarded for each breach. The most damaging breach would be IP infringement if it is found that SQ42 was sold as a separate title, as it's not covered as such in the GLA. This is the same as Microsoft giving a corp 10 enterprise licenses for Windows Server, then through an audit find that they have 15 copies installed. Each of the 5 excess copies is an infringement that is subject to fees and costs.

Even if CIG owns a license they decided not to use, it doesn't release them from the other obligations in the GLA. Those being the other causes of action such as providing code changes, displaying the Crytek logo, developing more than one title etc.

The case will not just hinge on the disputed exclusivity of their use of the engine, nor on whether or not SQ42 is a separate project. It will hinge on the spirit and intent of the GLA. The courts are used to seeing these types of disputes all the time, and when the wording is ambiguous or confusing, the judges always tend to defer to spirit and intent.

As per the GLA, SQ42 was never agreed to be a separate title. It was defined as being a feature of the "GAME" (see 1.6 & Exhibit 2). That's all the court is going to look at. What is in the preamble isn't important, in much the same way that Space Citizen is the name in the preamble, but Star Citizen is what is defined in the definition of "GAME".

After the GLA was signed, modules like Star Marine, Arena Commander, ArcCorp, Hangar were never planned to be separate "features" or they too would have been listed. They came about as per the increase in scope of the project, and the way they later decided to develop those parts separately and as "features" of Star Citizen.

The GLA is going with the spirit and intent of the original campaign which talked about a persistent universe (Star Citizen) and space combat (Squadron 42) features of a single "GAME" that was pitched. This is what makes SQ42 a feature of that game, just like the others. If they decided to sell Star Marine separately, even though it would launch from the same launcher as Star Citizen, that would be considered a breach of the GLA. They are only allowed to sell a single collective set called the "GAME" which includes Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and server mods. Neither Squadron 42, nor the server mods, were described as being the primary component like Star Citizen. They are features of the "GAME".

In my opinion, all of Crytek's causes of action have some merit, and for that reason, the motion to dismiss is going to be dismantled by the judge, and the case going to be set for trial shortly thereafter, if not in the same ruling. This will give Crytek the ability to start depositions and discovery, as this is a fast track case filing.

The judge may decide not to give an opinion ruling on the "exclusivity" issue because there may be issues of intent which can only be revealed and explained during discovery and deposition. I say this because section 2.1.2 isn't as ambiguous (I believe the wording requires that CIG exclusively use CryEngine for the "GAME") as people think that it is. And that's why cases go to appeals, and in some cases all the way to the SCOTUS. To me, even 2.1.2 is less important than 2.4 because without the termination (see 8.1, 8.2, 8.3) even if CIG decided to switch engines, it could be said that they breached the GLA by that section alone. Plus they already went on the record admitting that they switched to a competing (there is no argument that any engine other than CryEngine could be considered as a competing engine) game engine, Lumberyard. So even if the judge ruled that CIG were not required to exclusively use CryEngine in the "GAME", it doesn't mean that they can then ignore the other conditions of the GLA - which remains in full force and effect, as per the strict termination conditions.

Whether the case goes to trial or is settled, depends on the ruling of the motion to dismiss. I don't see how CIG would take this all the way to a jury because any ruling against them for any of the causes of action, can lead to millions of Dollars in damages and attorney fees. So it would make sense for them to settle if they can. The down side of that is, settling a case from a position of weakness, and against a firm like Skadden, is not the best position to be in. Plus their liability insurance company is likely to deny their claims if there is finding that they intentionally breached any part of the GLA. And that could make things worse for them in terms of how much they can settle the matter for. Plus, most business liability insurances, have cap limits.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Glad to see Derek took a break from crafting 100% legally actionable blogs to post on Reddit.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Breetai posted:

"You, a think tank?! All you think about is tanking up."

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

Yes, please!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
^

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

Hey it looks like OldSchoolCmdr is posting again. All day it seems.

quote:

OldSchoolCmdr posted:

There are 4 specific and highly damaging causes of action in this complaint.

From my reading of the complaint and the response, I can safely say that even though CIG never responded to two of them - which itself are sufficient grounds for the motion to dismiss to be denied - CIG isn't likely to prevail on any of them if this goes to a jury.

It doesn't matter if CIG were to use CryEngine exclusively or not, the crux of the matter is that the GLA was never terminated, and thus, all its conditions and warranties, remain in full force and effect. What remains then are how many of the conditions were breached, and what damages can be awarded for each breach. The most damaging breach would be IP infringement if it is found that SQ42 was sold as a separate title, as it's not covered as such in the GLA. This is the same as Microsoft giving a corp 10 enterprise licenses for Windows Server, then through an audit find that they have 15 copies installed. Each of the 5 excess copies is an infringement that is subject to fees and costs.

Even if CIG owns a license they decided not to use, it doesn't release them from the other obligations in the GLA. Those being the other causes of action such as providing code changes, displaying the Crytek logo, developing more than one title etc.

The case will not just hinge on the disputed exclusivity of their use of the engine, nor on whether or not SQ42 is a separate project. It will hinge on the spirit and intent of the GLA. The courts are used to seeing these types of disputes all the time, and when the wording is ambiguous or confusing, the judges always tend to defer to spirit and intent.

As per the GLA, SQ42 was never agreed to be a separate title. It was defined as being a feature of the "GAME" (see 1.6 & Exhibit 2). That's all the court is going to look at. What is in the preamble isn't important, in much the same way that Space Citizen is the name in the preamble, but Star Citizen is what is defined in the definition of "GAME".

After the GLA was signed, modules like Star Marine, Arena Commander, ArcCorp, Hangar were never planned to be separate "features" or they too would have been listed. They came about as per the increase in scope of the project, and the way they later decided to develop those parts separately and as "features" of Star Citizen.

The GLA is going with the spirit and intent of the original campaign which talked about a persistent universe (Star Citizen) and space combat (Squadron 42) features of a single "GAME" that was pitched. This is what makes SQ42 a feature of that game, just like the others. If they decided to sell Star Marine separately, even though it would launch from the same launcher as Star Citizen, that would be considered a breach of the GLA. They are only allowed to sell a single collective set called the "GAME" which includes Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and server mods. Neither Squadron 42, nor the server mods, were described as being the primary component like Star Citizen. They are features of the "GAME".

In my opinion, all of Crytek's causes of action have some merit, and for that reason, the motion to dismiss is going to be dismantled by the judge, and the case going to be set for trial shortly thereafter, if not in the same ruling. This will give Crytek the ability to start depositions and discovery, as this is a fast track case filing.

The judge may decide not to give an opinion ruling on the "exclusivity" issue because there may be issues of intent which can only be revealed and explained during discovery and deposition. I say this because section 2.1.2 isn't as ambiguous (I believe the wording requires that CIG exclusively use CryEngine for the "GAME") as people think that it is. And that's why cases go to appeals, and in some cases all the way to the SCOTUS. To me, even 2.1.2 is less important than 2.4 because without the termination (see 8.1, 8.2, 8.3) even if CIG decided to switch engines, it could be said that they breached the GLA by that section alone. Plus they already went on the record admitting that they switched to a competing (there is no argument that any engine other than CryEngine could be considered as a competing engine) game engine, Lumberyard. So even if the judge ruled that CIG were not required to exclusively use CryEngine in the "GAME", it doesn't mean that they can then ignore the other conditions of the GLA - which remains in full force and effect, as per the strict termination conditions.

Whether the case goes to trial or is settled, depends on the ruling of the motion to dismiss. I don't see how CIG would take this all the way to a jury because any ruling against them for any of the causes of action, can lead to millions of Dollars in damages and attorney fees. So it would make sense for them to settle if they can. The down side of that is, settling a case from a position of weakness, and against a firm like Skadden, is not the best position to be in. Plus their liability insurance company is likely to deny their claims if there is finding that they intentionally breached any part of the GLA. And that could make things worse for them in terms of how much they can settle the matter for. Plus, most business liability insurances, have cap limits.

Cue Commandos... :argh: Derek! :derp: :derp::gonk: gently caress of Derek with your hate boner! :kingsley:

(we really need a smilie for hate boner btw) :pray:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Galarox posted:

Wow! Deep cover goon go troll this guy! By agreeing with: "The only valid criticism of SC is that it is too ambitious" and "We can't say the game will fail, nor can we say it will be a success" :laffo:
(I'm not on :reddit: or I would)

You obviously are not on reddit, 'cuz that's not :reddit:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

reignofevil posted:

I've never even glanced in the direction of star citizen and I'm gonna go ahead and guess the delta patcher is not actually in.

It's actually in! it's also something you can buy off-the-shelf to include in your game for cheap.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Asterix was loving amazing, and lol @ how little you had to change it.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

You obviously are not on reddit, 'cuz that's not :reddit:

lol. Well I said I wasn't didn't I? I dont touch that poop - the nearest I get is Mirificus, Dementropy et al's screen caps ;)

Still the call to a deep cover goon still stands :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Galarox posted:

Cue Commandos... :argh: Derek! :derp: :derp::gonk: gently caress of Derek with your hate boner! :kingsley:

(we really need a smilie for hate boner btw) :pray:

:argh::fh:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

trucutru posted:

It's actually in! it's also something you can buy off-the-shelf to include in your game for cheap.

:eyepop:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

I have all the Asterix books and still regularly re-read them. I still occasionally catch jokes that I had previously missed, despite the fact that I have read them all many thousands of times, for instance it took me like 15 years of reading to understand that the Roman camp Totorum wasn't - as I pronounced it in my head - Toe-Torr-Um but Tot-of-Rum. Yes I'm slow :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Please don't dox me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Galarox posted:

lol. Well I said I wasn't didn't I? I dont touch that poop - the nearest I get is Mirificus, Dementropy et al's screen caps ;)

Still the call to a deep cover goon still stands :v:

Actually, the good non-goons at the elite forums do a pretty good job at destroying those arguments, although in a more civilized, less funny way that the one we're used to around here.

Their main problem is that they can (and do) get super-trolled easily in the most transparent ways. But such is the fate of space game fans. A deep-cover goon farting in the general direction of the troll would be given a hand-slap, while volumes worth of rebuttals are written instead.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Letting me tell you about how we stopped giving attention to Derek Smart by constantly talking about him.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

grimcreaper posted:

It must really suck that a game youve spent thousands on is going ro be this generations Hellgate: London.

Counterpoint, unlike Star Citizen at least Hellgate: London managed to slog to a retail release. I'm pretty sure that SC isn't even going to make it that far.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 14, 2018

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

kilus aof posted:

Letting me tell you about how we stopped giving attention to Derek Smart by constantly talking about him.

Ok own up! - Who else (apart from me) has an extensive criminal record? I mean, I know I only have 3 convictions for littering, 2 for lurking with intent to comit bad things on the internet, 4 for going armed with words with intent to hurt, 74 for misuse of salacious language and 1 for moral turpitude... So I clearly fall into the criminal class that that clown is refering to but.. I never post on :reddit: (if that is :reddit:)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Galarox posted:

I have all the Asterix books and still regularly re-read them. I still occasionally catch jokes that I had previously missed, despite the fact that I have read them all many thousands of times, for instance it took me like 15 years of reading to understand that the Roman camp Totorum wasn't - as I pronounced it in my head - Toe-Torr-Um but Tot-of-Rum. Yes I'm slow :)

I think I am only missing one out of the entire collection, I was quite young when I started collecting them, the first one being a very hefty hardback 'annual' version of 6 seperate books in one. They are great reads that have aged really well, they don't suffer from feeling 'dated' at all. I forget the year they started printing them but it must be over 30 years ago now. :)

Even have a bunch of vhs tapes with the few animated versions of the books on, if I remember right, Bill Oddie did Asterix' voice and Brian Blessed did a Roman generals voice in one of them. :)

(loving love your art btw, always know a pshop is good if you are the first to post it)

Galarox posted:

Ok own up! - Who else (apart from me) has an extensive criminal record? I mean, I know I only have 3 convictions for littering, 2 for lurking with intent to comit bad things on the internet, 4 for going armed with words with intent to hurt, 74 for misuse of salacious language and 1 for moral turpitude... So I clearly fall into the criminal class that that clown is refering to but.. I never post on :reddit: (if that is :reddit:)

I got a parking ticket and a speeding fine on the same day about 19 years ago, does that count? That's my life of crime out in the open, finally :D

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 14, 2018

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Breetai posted:

Even the categories sync up perfectly. The endless crashes and lag at 1-5 FPS certainly isn't C (fun, as in most videogames in at least some way) and literally the only reason to be a proud shitizen is and always will be D, to make others envious. It's amazing how this beautifully explains how haughty and arrogant every last one of CIG's defenders always are, how unwilling they are to concede even the tiniest possibility that people who don't like Star Citizen could be anything but filthy plebs who can't appreciate true art and that anyone who could should rightfully be envious of the shitizen's autism chariot.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Galarox posted:

The bit at the end of Asterix and the Germans where the Visigoths leave Gaul after getting the poo poo kicked out of them and say "So, ve go! But ve komm back!" is loving sublime.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I need a weapon like this.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

The bit at the end of Asterix and the Germans where the Visigoths leave Gaul after getting the poo poo kicked out of them and say "So, ve go! But ve komm back!" is loving sublime.

I hate to be a pedant but... That's actually a quote from the first Asterix Book - Asterix the Gaul, and it's at the begining, on the first page actually. In the one you refer to (Asterix and the Goths) they gently caress up Germania by feeding magic potion to a bunch of losers to trick them into civil war at the end. But yeah it's a good line. :) :)

...I feel a bit like Alan Partridge now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVasnOcPm9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

OMG - dancy cat is on :catdrugs: