Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Why would you do this, the updated version just adds normal resolutions and better controls

320x200 is the optimum resolution for early shooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdZZCQEA99Y&t=304s

this is dimebag darrell's cousin, he runs a couple of youtube channels about restoring old keyboards and computers

he does a bunch of stuff like this, but figured you guys wanted to hear his take on Ultima music

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Why would you do this, the updated version just adds normal resolutions and better controls

but they reuse the same old anime girls

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I can't remember if Shadow Warrior had Mouse + WASD. I seem to recall playing all of the old Build engine games with just a keyboard--the first Quake, too IIRC. It's hard to go back to that. There are usually tools and mods that will allow you to use a modern control scheme, though.

Besides that (and obviously the graphics), I think the huge HUDs jar me the most when I revisit an old game.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Quake had mlook shipped but not defaulted, as Romero thought it might be too advanced for people. [Edit: apparently it’s been in every id game since catacombs]. The build engine (SW, Duke3D, and Redneck Rampages engine) had it as well because I only played Duke3D with a mouse when it came out.

Also play redux and play Doom in source ports. The devs made these games for mods. Only broke brains still play with a keyboard only on their CRTs.

Oxygenpoisoning fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 15, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Strife was the

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Quake had mlook shipped but not defaulted, as Romero thought it might be too advanced for people. [Edit: apparently it’s been in every id game since catacombs]. The build engine (SW, Duke3D, and Redneck Rampages engine) had it as well because I only played Duke3D with a mouse when it came out.

Also play redux and play Doom in source ports. The devs made these games for mods. Only broke brains still play with a keyboard only on their CRTs.

Romero's supremacy in Doom & Quake deathmatch games just explained from Masters of Doom book.
Enabled mouselook for himself, not for others. :agesilaus:

Doom engine games: Strife veterans edition is really good, original Strife wad is lostware aka :filez:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I think I’m over the hump in Zelda. Just did my first divine beast and I’ve got a lot of quests and stuff to shoot for. Once you get into it the pace of the game is more relaxing than driven, which is kind of unique.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I’m still working on my first divine beast.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

i beat quake 1 and half-life 1 with keyboard only as a kid

also ive got like 5 ebay alerts for dope CRTs

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Redux version of Shadow Warrior Classic keeps crashing to desktop on a surface device.
Installed classic shadow warrior, remapped a few movement keys, haven't figured out which setup toggle disables mouse forward/backward movement, and so on.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i beat quake 1 and half-life 1 with keyboard only as a kid

also ive got like 5 ebay alerts for dope CRTs

I missed Doom but started in Quake. I also started straight with multiplayer because my older brother introduced me to it when he was home from college. I think QuakeSpy had came out by the time I actually tried the single player. I actually forced myself to play through it and all of the add on expansions when Arcane Dimensions came out. While it’s no Doom2, it’s still a really solid game. I wished Quake Champions had been a reboot of Quake in the vein of Doom 2016 instead of Quake Live cribs OW.

I had a crt until about 10 years ago so I guess I’m 1/2 broke brained.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I got They Are Billions.

I'm not going to debate if it's worth the 25 bucks, but it's pretty good so far!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I missed Doom but started in Quake. I also started straight with multiplayer because my older brother introduced me to it when he was home from college. I think QuakeSpy had came out by the time I actually tried the single player. I actually forced myself to play through it and all of the add on expansions when Arcane Dimensions came out. While it’s no Doom2, it’s still a really solid game. I wished Quake Champions had been a reboot of Quake in the vein of Doom 2016 instead of Quake Live cribs OW.

I had a crt until about 10 years ago so I guess I’m 1/2 broke brained.

Id isn't known for its good decisions lately.

Build game that sees unprecedented positive reviews in the single player section?

Keep on with the original plan and only make DLC for multiplayer.

Making another game that started out as a single player franchise?

Don't capitalize on the goodwill of the community and make a bad rear end single player component. Just make a flasher version of the mediocre multiplayer from your previous release.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Id isn't known for its good decisions lately.

Build game that sees unprecedented positive reviews in the single player section?

Keep on with the original plan and only make DLC for multiplayer.

Making another game that started out as a single player franchise?

Don't capitalize on the goodwill of the community and make a bad rear end single player component. Just make a flasher version of the mediocre multiplayer from your previous release.

That's Bethesda management + the residue of John Carmack's game engines making all those great calls.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

That's Bethesda management + the residue of John Carmack's game engines making all those great calls.

Pretty much. Especially with Bethesda's head of PR having a history of making GBS threads on their fans.

Sure wish I could download Doom without having to pull down 50GB of multiplayer I'll never touch.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sure you can, DOOM wad files are tiny.
Original DOOM 1 + DOOM 2 are oceans better than bethsedaDOOM.

Doom3 was Carmack showing how loving bored he was of the DOOM series while sketching out the RAGE engine specs in his head.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I personally enjoyed Doom 2016, but other than that I’d agree id isn’t make the best decisions. Bethesda was smart to kick Wolf over the the Swedes though, as I enjoyed the newest incarnations despite the most recent pacing issues near the end.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
doom 2016 owned and if you take its best parts and combine them with the best parts of wolfenstein you would have the only video game i would ever play again

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
DOOM 2016 was the first FPS I can remember that claimed to recapture that classic FPS feeling and actually delivered. I love the new Wolfenstein games, but they don't feel quite the same. I don't really feel like the unbeatable monster so much as a tough but ultimately very mortal badass, which is great but not 1994-era "STRATEGY? SHOOT TIL THEY DIE!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I got They Are Billions.

I'm not going to debate if it's worth the 25 bucks, but it's pretty good so far!

It's hard as nuts getting started. I haven't figure out yet how to survive the first 20 minutes or so without one zombie slipping in and loving everything up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

It's hard as nuts getting started. I haven't figure out yet how to survive the first 20 minutes or so without one zombie slipping in and loving everything up.

Yeah, I lost my first few games because the ONE area I hadn't covered yet had a zombie sneak in. I'm doing a lot better but I'm at 3% difficulty right now. Soon as that game is done with I'm going to ramp it up to 22% so I can unlock the second map. It's very fun.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Vasudus posted:

Yeah, I lost my first few games because the ONE area I hadn't covered yet had a zombie sneak in. I'm doing a lot better but I'm at 3% difficulty right now. Soon as that game is done with I'm going to ramp it up to 22% so I can unlock the second map. It's very fun.

Well I know what game I’m playing now I’ve finished AC:Origins.

They are Billions looks super fun. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

...3%? Maybe I shouldn't be starting at 100%...

At least after a few goes I'm starting to figure out how the economy stuff works. It's a really neat concept, and I loving love that Stronghold is back in 2018 (with zombies!)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I dialed the difficulty way down, perhaps too far down, so that I could build in peace and get used to how the tech tree works and all that jazz. It's not even remotely a challenge, but that's not the point right now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Figured out the control problems with Shadow Warrior Classic. It is Wang-tastic.

Elemental: War of Magic update:
Elemental:War of Magic was so lovely the developer(Stardock studios) removed all mention of it from the Elemental game series website.
All mentions of the Elemental game world start with the followup 2nd game in the series, it was that bad.
And there has been 3 revisions of the followup game, which all appear to be the base game(Fallen Enchantress) +different DLC.

Hell I don't blame Stardock, much, for that tactic. People ate it up with Sins of a Solar Empire, which managed to get republished 3 times under slightly different names.
And yes, that is bitterness over purchasing the same game 3 loving times and still no space pirate faction refurbSupercapitals/mobile space pirate base.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I just realized how many noobs there will be to invade when Dark Souls remastered comes out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I just realized how many noobs there will be to invade when Dark Souls remastered comes out.

RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

😬

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMU41taZJLw

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Holy poo poo this 13:50 Shadow Warrior Classic speedrun.
So many many Marathon-style grenade jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NjlUwyEBw

Not perfect apparently, but there's no commentary & reaction camera in it, so thumbs up.
Shadow Warrior 2013 funnily had worse platforming (you'd lose half your health or die from 6 foot drops/jumps) than Shadow Warrior Classic, but made up for that with massively improved weapons & sword-supremacy.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Vasudus posted:

Yeah I dialed the difficulty way down, perhaps too far down, so that I could build in peace and get used to how the tech tree works and all that jazz. It's not even remotely a challenge, but that's not the point right now.

This game just ate my entire afternoon, before completely loving me with the final wave of zombies.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo this 13:50 Shadow Warrior Classic speedrun.
So many many Marathon-style grenade jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NjlUwyEBw

Not perfect apparently, but there's no commentary & reaction camera in it, so thumbs up.
Shadow Warrior 2013 funnily had worse platforming (you'd lose half your health or die from 6 foot drops/jumps) than Shadow Warrior Classic, but made up for that with massively improved weapons & sword-supremacy.

The SW reboot is a good game if you don’t expect it to harken back to older FPS games. It’s more like Serious Sam or Painkiller in its gameplay.

If you want to see more insane speed runs check out cubeface or draQu on YouTube. They own most of the old FPS games records and are staples of AGDQ.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

i KINDA want to get it for the switch for this reason

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i KINDA want to get it for the switch for this reason

Hackers are hard at work cracking the Switch right now.
So if all goes well, Dark Souls remastered Switch edition will have online cheater drama at launch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hackers are hard at work cracking the Switch right now.
So if all goes well, Dark Souls remastered Switch edition will have online cheater drama at launch.

its already cracked

also a very very early switch emulator was just released

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hell yeah switch homebrew sounds dope

I mean not the cheating part but yeah

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

This game just ate my entire afternoon, before completely loving me with the final wave of zombies.

I've got a handle on how the economy works, kinda, and I won my 3% game. So now I'm doing a 22% run, and it turns out that I don't know fuckall about unit management yet so I'm getting owned a lot.

It's still very fun!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also a very very early switch emulator was just released

Oh thats cool, and I hope no license drama pops up over it.
Currently learning all about the licensing drama on SNES & Sega Genesis emulator code on another website.
emulator licensing drama summary: More violations than the catalog of kink dot com basically.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/fail0verflow/st...ase-announce%2F

if thats the case then jfc they got all up into them guts

for what it's worth the PS Vita homebrew scene isn't this far, it's crazy they got this far within a year of release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that's nuts. i hope this doesn't cause Nintendo to drop support for the Switch

the 3DS was broken wide open but that happened pretty late in its lifecycle