Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

you can fall down the crack between your bed and the wall and starve to death

I’m too fat for that to be an issue. I suppose i could get an arm stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
When I first started fishing 3 years ago I did a lot of jetty fishing but I pretty quickly got sick of all the un-chill old fuckwits who'd cast over your lines and fish right next to you if you ever got anything, and the gawkers asking stupid questions ("did you catch those fish?"). I also learned pretty fast the piers saw a shitload of fishing pressure and consistent catches were hard so I took up beach and kayak fishing.

I'm training for a kayak fishing comp at the moment. There's a reef 15km from the launch which holds yellowtail kingfish and tuna this time of year so most nights after work I do a bunch of laps of the local lake to try and build up the fitness required to get out to that reef at a decent pace. I'm getting a new paddle this weekend too, a carbon fiber wing blade which will cost more than most kayaks I see on the water but hopefully it, and better technique will add a km/hr to my cruising speed.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 12, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

In my youth, a ton. Santa Cruz small boat harbor had excellent fishing for cabbys and rockfish in the holes among the rocks. If you got lucky casting out you could get a salmon or halibut. The rub? You could also not be paying attention and get slammed by a wave, washed into a crack and die by drowning or blood loss from all the razor sharp barnacles.
Be careful.

Yeah, it seems like it could be precarious but the prospect of salmon or lingcod without a boat is attractive. I don't think that I'd ever go out alone, and I'd pay way more attention to the tide than I do fishing from the beach. It's not legal in Marine Zone 2 until the regular bottomfish season opens in March so it's not like I'm trying to go tomorrow. I guess my initial question could have been followed with "... and am I a huge pussy for being concerned about being swept out to sea?" but it seems like the answer to that is, "Yes. It's possible, but don't take stupid chances and pay attention to the weather and you should be okay."

gay picnic defence posted:

When I first started fishing 3 years ago I did a lot of jetty fishing but I pretty quickly got sick of all the un-chill old fuckwits who'd cast over your lines and fish right next to you if you ever got anything, and the gawkers asking stupid questions ("did you catch those fish?"). I also learned pretty fast the piers saw a shitload of fishing pressure and consistent catches were hard so I took up beach and kayak fishing.

I'm training for a kayak fishing comp at the moment. There's a reef 15km from the launch which holds yellowtail kingfish and tuna this time of year so most nights after work I do a bunch of laps of the local lake to try and build up the fitness required to get out to that reef at a decent pace. I'm getting a new paddle this weekend too, a carbon fiber wing blade which will cost more than most kayaks I see on the water but hopefully it, and better technique will add a km/hr to my cruising speed.

The pier situation is kind of like that here. I always get people passing by asking questions and people definitely follow the fish around, but I've never had anybody gently caress with my line and everyone has been really chill. The shittiest attitudes I've ever had to deal with while fishing have been late season river salmon fishing when they're not biting and there are people five feet away on either side of you. I hate combat fishing and would happily share a pier with some guys drinking beers out of paper bags over that poo poo.

Good luck with the yak comp! I hope you'll get a lot of pics of the spectacle of it, and of the fish that you catch. I'd love to get a kayak if I had anyplace to store it, and I'm super jealous that you can go out and catch any type of tuna right now.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Man the Weedon Island fishing pier always has one old dude from up north who wants to tell you his whole life story and give you advice you didn’t ask for.

They must be in cahoots with the kayak salesmen.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

Man the Weedon Island fishing pier always has one old dude from up north who wants to tell you his whole life story and give you advice you didn’t ask for.

They must be in cahoots with the kayak salesmen.

You get that too? I get people stopping me when I'm trying to launch my kayak (or put it onto my car) and ask about my fishing trip, how much my kayak weighs, what kind of fish are here, do you fish from that thing, etc. Strangely, they never offer to help me load this 66lb thing on top of my car either, even if I'm clearly tired from a few hours of paddling (I need to get in shape). The kayak rental people seem cool from the interactions I've had with them. They're on the crunchy granola side but I've taken friends and family to rent from there and all had positive experiences.

I was planning on launching from there on Monday, hoping that since it'll be both a weekday and kinda cold I won't have to interact with many people.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

You get that too? I get people stopping me when I'm trying to launch my kayak (or put it onto my car) and ask about my fishing trip, how much my kayak weighs, what kind of fish are here, do you fish from that thing, etc. Strangely, they never offer to help me load this 66lb thing on top of my car either, even if I'm clearly tired from a few hours of paddling (I need to get in shape). The kayak rental people seem cool from the interactions I've had with them. They're on the crunchy granola side but I've taken friends and family to rent from there and all had positive experiences.

I was planning on launching from there on Monday, hoping that since it'll be both a weekday and kinda cold I won't have to interact with many people.

I know exactly what you mean. I tried to go the Wednesday after Christmas and I knew I was in trouble when I was 5th in line at the bait shop (never been more than one other person there).

Weekday mornings are usually pretty tame so I think you’ll be alright in the kayak. Annoying pier guy will be there to bother anyone trying to fish from land, undoubtedly.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

When the lakes get crowded, you'll find people will float into your area if you are catching things and they aren't as well. It's pretty annoying since they generally sneak up behind you, and suddenly there's someone next to you when you were just trolling around and letting your sinking line go around the weeds. If they persist I generally will drift away, but there's only so far to go on the really busy days. Since you go in a lazy circle or back and forth it kills the groove to have someone shove their way into your path.

Sometimes it's not intentional though, especially when the winds pick up. I really like my spots, but not enough to hog them, especially if I've caught something already. If I look out and the lake looks crowded sometimes I'll pick another spot for the day, rather than shove my way in there. It'd be nice if other people did the same, but eh.

If someone else is catching fish and I'm getting skunked, I might ask what bait/fly they are using, but other than that I don't fish to interact with other people.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Danthrax posted:

You get that too? I get people stopping me when I'm trying to launch my kayak (or put it onto my car) and ask about my fishing trip, how much my kayak weighs, what kind of fish are here, do you fish from that thing, etc. Strangely, they never offer to help me load this 66lb thing on top of my car either, even if I'm clearly tired from a few hours of paddling (I need to get in shape).

Seems like some things are the same wherever you go. It doesn't matter where I launch, there always seems to be some old train spotter type who comes up to express admiration for my kayak and tell me what a great set up it looks and ask if I caught anything and so on. Fishing just seems to really fascinate people I guess.

At least on open water there is plenty of space to move away from others if I want.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Fishing just seems to really fascinate people I guess.

I fish a very suburban park with, in addition to a pond, has a huge playground. I get bugged in equal parts by little kids, old people, and the mentally challenged. I am chatty as gently caress and often kinda lit, so I love it. I will talk about basses to anyone who will listen, to the point where I have managed to have a literal retarded dude make a weak excuse and wander away as I was boring him.

Little kids are the best, they are so lovely and demanding, "I wanna see you catch a fish!" and then they get all pissy when I don't immediately get one. But when I do they go loving nuts, like even a 2-3lb bass is loving huge compared to the little sunnies the kids feed at the shore line, so it's like the most amazing thing ever for them. This past fall I was there on a Saturday and was doing really well, getting a bass maybe every 5-6 casts, so I ended up with like 6-8 little kids standing around with some very bored parents looking on. I got a really nice 3.5lb one and it was like having my own cheering section, one little dude loving shook my hand and told me that I "should be very proud of how patient I was".

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I fish a very suburban park with, in addition to a pond, has a huge playground. I get bugged in equal parts by little kids, old people, and the mentally challenged. I am chatty as gently caress and often kinda lit, so I love it. I will talk about basses to anyone who will listen, to the point where I have managed to have a literal retarded dude make a weak excuse and wander away as I was boring him.

Little kids are the best, they are so lovely and demanding, "I wanna see you catch a fish!" and then they get all pissy when I don't immediately get one. But when I do they go loving nuts, like even a 2-3lb bass is loving huge compared to the little sunnies the kids feed at the shore line, so it's like the most amazing thing ever for them. This past fall I was there on a Saturday and was doing really well, getting a bass maybe every 5-6 casts, so I ended up with like 6-8 little kids standing around with some very bored parents looking on. I got a really nice 3.5lb one and it was like having my own cheering section, one little dude loving shook my hand and told me that I "should be very proud of how patient I was".

That would give me the shits. There was one day where I was coming back from a kayaking trip and a couple of kids 50m up the beach saw me heading in, yelled to each other "OMG HE"S COMING IN TO LAND!!!" and ran flat out to where I was planning to retrieve the yak. I very nearly turned around and kept fishing. I don't mind fishing with people when they're my mates but banal questions ("Did you catch those fish?" "Nah, I bought them from a shop, I just take them for a walk from time to time, a bit like you do with your dog") from kids and oldies I can do without.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I get that crabbing all the time. Don’t mind. Also yeah nobody ever helps me with my 13ft yak.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TOKELAND REPORT

Tokeland is a Dungeness crab village. I emphasize village because it is not even large enough to support a gas station in town. There weren't any coozies because the marina/bait shop closed for good in August. How in the gently caress does the bait shop close in a fishing village of any kind?

There are two businesses: Tokeland Hotel and Restaurant (didn't go), and Nelson Crab, the outfit that buys all of the crab off the docks from the crab boats that come and go all day. I bought a hat there, but NELSON CRAB is far more prominent than the TOKELAND on the back of it, so I didn't get any extras.

However! Tokeland coozies most definitely need to exist, and since nobody wants to sell us any I guess I'll have to have some made. Only problem is that I suck at visual/graphic design. I'll try to cobble something together, but if anybody else wants to take a crack at it I think it should include a crab in some capacity.

The fishing on the day was bad, though. We didn't get any crab off of the finger piers at Tokeland, but we probably didn't spend enough time there. Didn't catch any surf perch, either. The closest thing to a keeper I caught was an undersized Dungeness crab that I accidentally let my left thumb get too close to. I had to rip the claw off of the crab itself to get it to release, and this morning it feels like I slammed it in a car door.

This is the jetty that we want to try, but it looks really loving hard to land a fish from it.

This is the view from the ocean side of it, and I have a feeling that this corner is loving lousy with surf perch. The only problem is that this beach is one of the most popular places to surf in the state, but hopefully not that close to the jetty.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 14, 2018

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

What the gently caress is a coozie?

That looks like a fairly shallow beach so a big piece of structure sticking out like that should be teeming with fish, especially if the tide has created a channel along it.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

What the gently caress is a coozie?

I think that they're called stubby holders in Straya. A thermal foam sleeve to keep your beer cold.

quote:

That looks like a fairly shallow beach so a big piece of structure sticking out like that should be teeming with fish, especially if the tide has created a channel along it.

Awesome, I think that I'll go straight there next time. Word is that the sea side is good for perch and the bay side has lots of bottomfish, which stands to reason. It would be a pretty great day to fill the cooler with both.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
We went to the delayed harvest section of the Nantahala this week. When people say that trout don't live in ugly places, this is the kind of poo poo they're talking about.

It was a pretty slow day by DH standards. The water was pretty cold with all that ice melting into it, even though this was the warmest day in weeks with a high of about 60, which I think was making the trout as tight lipped as they were. We ended up with 23 in the net, mostly in the 10 inch range, with about 3 12-13 inch browns and rainbows. Here are some random pics of what I think is the most beautiful river in the world, and some fish!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 16, 2018

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Winter trout. Amazed that one even hit the dry fly!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

That's an adorable brookie. :3

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

When people say that trout don't live in ugly places, this is the kind of poo poo they're talking about.

I love this kind of stuff; I'm nearly as interested in people posting where they fish as the fish that they catch. And I don't know if they're in some of the broken picture links, Chuck, but 23 in the loving net?! God drat!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's an adorable brookie. :3

I love this kind of stuff; I'm nearly as interested in people posting where they fish as the fish that they catch. And I don't know if they're in some of the broken picture links, Chuck, but 23 in the loving net?! God drat!

For the smaller creeks out here, I can usually nab one or two every five minutes to ten minutes. The trout here, when it's peak feeding times in the spring or late summer/early fall, go ballistic.

It's great to be able to throw out a surface fly and watch more than one trout rise for it.

It sucks to watch the smallest trout actually shoot for it and slam it.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

gamera009 posted:

For the smaller creeks out here, I can usually nab one or two every five minutes to ten minutes. The trout here, when it's peak feeding times in the spring or late summer/early fall, go ballistic.

It's great to be able to throw out a surface fly and watch more than one trout rise for it.

It sucks to watch the smallest trout actually shoot for it and slam it.

w/r/t your spoiler:

The first time I went to Duke's Creek, I was sight casting to a pod of trout that held an extremely burly brown, probably the biggest trout I had seen in my life up to that point, and so of course the smallest fish in the pool takes my fly and spooks all his friends. I got him in, and was shocked to see that the big boy had settled back in to the exact same lie. I knelt down in the water where he couldn't see me, changed both my flies from attractor patterns to naturals, and sat completely motionless for about 20 minutes until he started feeding again. Without standing up & with my heart pounding I made a single cast, and time slowed down as my hard work, Solid Snake rear end stealth moves and extreme patience were (to my immense surprise) rewarded and my line went tight with.... the second smallest fish in the pod. I walked up into the woods and bummed a cig off my buddy. Fuckers.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 16, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is this how I get into fly fishing? Is this how it happens? I already have waders, so yeah, probably.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I loved throwing rainbow trout pattern float/shallow dive rapallas in creeks like that. Too big for the small of the year, just the right size for the big ‘uns to get aggressive.
Also pisses off the snooty fly fishermen.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Speaking of fly fishing does anyone have any resources to recommend about getting into fly tying/fly fishing? Books or videos would be great.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Telsa Cola posted:

Speaking of fly fishing does anyone have any resources to recommend about getting into fly tying/fly fishing? Books or videos would be great.
YouTube is absolutely going to be your best resource. There is very, very little you could learn from a book that isn't already in a 5 or 10 minute video somewhere, especially if you are just starting out and not looking for very detailed information about a particular species or location. Most of my time is spent going for trout, and so I have to say that I did learn a lot from Dynamic Nymphing by Geroge Daniel.

The video series on the Orvis site with Tom Rosenbauer is actually a pretty great introduction to fly fishing, and it also has an absolute poo poo ton of in-depth information about all different types of situations and target species if you can sit through hours of 90s dad videos.

If you want to catch trout in significant quantities that can probably even rival your buddy using red worms and corn, you should probably watch Modern Nymphing - European Inspired Techniques with Lance Egan and Devin Olsen of the US competition fly fishing team, although I sometimes wonder if the way we fish for trout now even counts as fly fishing-- it really pushes the envelope in a lot of ways, since you don't really cast. If you end up fishing like this, getting into tying is pretty much non-optional, as you will want to be in control of how much weight is in each pattern, and you probably wouldn't be able to find commercial flies even remotely heavy enough to get down quickly to the depths where we like to fish anyway.

For a beginner, I would definitely learn how to fish and catch fish with commercially tied flies so that you can learn what you like to use on the water, because there is so much poo poo that you can end up buying and it is way better to approach tying from the standpoint of "I am going to tie x, y and z flies in sizes 12, 14 and 16" or whatever rather than trying to build a general base of materials, because no matter how much poo poo you have, it won't be enough. I have probably $1000 worth of feathers, hooks, beads, wires, dubbings, yarns and on and on, and there are still plenty of patterns I wouldn't be able to tie right now on a whim, and so also if you think it's going to save you money just know that that is improbable. Again YouTube is your best resource by far, and some of the best channels are Tightline Productions, InTheRiffle, Fly Fish Food and Turning Stones. For me, catching (a lot of) fish on lures that you made (in your nerd dungeon) is one of the most satisfying parts of the whole sport

I had been wondering if I should do a thread on fly fishing.

edit: advanced anglers only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaedyz2qv7k&t=1s

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 17, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

YouTube is absolutely going to be your best resource. There is very, very little you could learn from a book that isn't already in a 5 or 10 minute video somewhere, especially if you are just starting out and not looking for very detailed information about a particular species or location. Most of my time is spent going for trout, and so I have to say that I did learn a lot from Dynamic Nymphing by Geroge Daniel.

The video series on the Orvis site with Tom Rosenbauer is actually a pretty good introduction to fly fishing, and it also has an absolute poo poo ton of in-depth information about all different types of situations and target species if you can sit through hours of 90s dad videos.

If you want to catch trout in significant quantities that can probably even rival your buddy using red worms and corn, you should probably watch Modern Nymphing - European Inspired Techniques with Lance Egan and Devin Olsen of the US competition fly fishing team, although I sometimes wonder if the way we fish for trout now even counts as fly fishing-- it really pushes the envelope in a lot of ways, since you don't really cast. If you end up fishing like this, getting into tying is pretty much non-optional, as you will want to be in control of how much weight is in each pattern, and you probably wouldn't be able to find commercial flies even remotely heavy enough to get down quickly to the depths where we like to fish anyway.

For a beginner, I would definitely learn how to fish and catch fish with commercially tied flies so that you can learn what you like to use on the water, because there is so much poo poo that you can end up buying and it is way better to approach tying from the standpoint of "I am going to tie x, y and z fly in size 12, 14 and 16" or whatever rather than trying to build a general base of materials, because no matter how much poo poo you have, it won't be enough. I have probably $1000 worth of feathers, hooks, beads, wires, dubbings, yarns and on and on, and there are still plenty of patterns I wouldn't be able to tie right now on a whim, and so also if you think it's going to save you money just know that that is improbable. Again YouTube is your best resource by far, and some of the best channels are Tightline Productions, InTheRiffle, Fly Fish Food and Turning Stones.

This is great! The problem with YouTube when you are an absolute beginner is that it's hard to know which videos are good and which have some rear end in a top hat yammering about nothing for fifteen minutes with snippets of good info speckled into it.

I don't think that a separate fly fishing thread is necessary; this one has been inclusive toward all types of fishing and it's not like it moves so fast that it's hard to keep up with. If anything, the fly fishers who have been lurking this thread need to :justpost: in it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

The video series on the Orvis site with Tom Rosenbauer is actually a pretty great introduction to fly fishing, and it also has an absolute poo poo ton of in-depth information about all different types of situations and target species if you can sit through hours of 90s dad videos.

For a beginner, I would definitely learn how to fish and catch fish with commercially tied flies so that you can learn what you like to use on the water, because there is so much poo poo that you can end up buying and it is way better to approach tying from the standpoint of "I am going to tie x, y and z flies in sizes 12, 14 and 16" or whatever rather than trying to build a general base of materials, because no matter how much poo poo you have, it won't be enough. I have probably $1000 worth of feathers, hooks, beads, wires, dubbings, yarns and on and on, and there are still plenty of patterns I wouldn't be able to tie right now on a whim, and so also if you think it's going to save you money just know that that is improbable. Again YouTube is your best resource by far, and some of the best channels are Tightline Productions, InTheRiffle, Fly Fish Food and Turning Stones. For me, catching (a lot of) fish on lures that you made (in your nerd dungeon) is one of the most satisfying parts of the whole sport

Thank you very much for this extensive post! I definitely need to learn the basic for fly fishing but this will be a good collection of resources to continue off from.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

This is great! The problem with YouTube when you are an absolute beginner is that it's hard to know which videos are good and which have some rear end in a top hat yammering about nothing for fifteen minutes with snippets of good info speckled into it.

I guess that's true; you have to figure out what you don't know first, and then using the internet to gain fishing knowledge is like cheating. I would say those Orvis vids are about as close as you can get to having a virtual first fly fishing session with a guide, especially since they have old dudes and soft music. Maybe just crack your window, open up a pack of moth balls, light a big stogie like an incense stick and enjoy a Werther's original while you're watching for the full experience!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 17, 2018

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

15 degrees, 20+ inches

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 18, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Holy gently caress, Chuck. Beautiful. This makes me feel extra good about ordering fly gear, too. I want to catch trout like that one.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

It fills my heart with joy to see all these beautiful trout since I missed my trip last year. What a nice catch, Chuck.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
:captainpop:

Wow what a trout! What'd you catch him on, etc? What state was this caught in?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I beat a traffic ticket in court yesterday so I used some of the would-be fine money to order some fly stuff. :toot:

The APoK Cheapass Imported Fly Setup

Rod - Proberos 7' #5/6 Fly Rod - $24.31 Proberos is a name you see come up often in imported tackle. I think they make good stuff so I'm trusting the brand. I opted for a 7' model since I am a beginner and may be fishing around trees. My casts won't be pretty at first.
Reel - Goture 5/6 CNC machined aluminum reel - $33.99
Backing Line - Proberos 100M 20# backing line - $4.04
Fly Line - Proberos 100' Weight Forward fly line - $6.88
Leaders- 5pcs Tapered leader lines - $2.41 I bought both 5X and 4X weight on these.
Tippet Line - 2pcs 50m Maximumcatch tippet line - $3.92 I bought both 5X and 4X weight on these, too.

I spent about $82 altogether, and I haven't bought flies yet. I will report on quality as I receive items if anybody is interested, but I have been impressed with things I've imported so far so my expectations are moderately high.

Also, if anybody is in the market for some spools of mono that are shockingly good quality considering the price, I like these a lot. 500m of 2lb test for $2.33 all the way up to breaking the bank at $3.59 for a 500m spool of 32lb test. poo poo works.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That's ridiculous cheap for a fly setup. I'm curious to see how it performs.

I'm going to head up to the Pere Marquette this weekend - temps are supposed to spike into the upper 30s here in Michigan, so hopefully the winter bite will be on. Going to bring up some lighter tenkara gear, then my spey rod just in case the steelhead are running. Fingers crossed!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm broke until my commissions roll in. What sort of setup can I use for river trout on a spinning reel?

Also I have no idea if this debate was here or I read it somewhere else but fish definitely can see dark green braid.

Mine gets struck on the surface a lot, especially when I'm retrieving

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm broke until my commissions roll in. What sort of setup can I use for river trout on a spinning reel?

Also I have no idea if this debate was here or I read it somewhere else but fish definitely can see dark green braid.

Mine gets struck on the surface a lot, especially when I'm retrieving

You could bottom fish bait with a carolina rig or some split shot depending on the river, or any number of lures.

After trying a bunch of different types of mainline I've pretty much reverted back to mono mainlines. I'll use braid if I have a specific need for it, but I think it's more fun to catch a fish on good mono line.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Planet X posted:

:captainpop:

Wow what a trout! What'd you catch him on, etc? What state was this caught in?

I got him in North Carolina, on Fires Creek near the Georgia border. He took the infamous mop fly.

edit:
APoK, super stoked for you, let me know if you need fly reccomendations

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 19, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I have no trout to post this morning despite my best efforts. Really looking forward to winter being over.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I got him in North Carolina, on Fires Creek near the Georgia border. He took the infamous mop fly.

edit:
APoK, super stoked for you, let me know if you need fly reccomendations

I'm all ears. I notice the phrases "match the hatch" and "nymphs catch trout" repeatedly in my light research so far, but that's about all I got.

Anybody got a fish to post? I'm jonesin' real bad, man.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

I have no trout to post this morning despite my best efforts. Really looking forward to winter being over.

I'm all ears. I notice the phrases "match the hatch" and "nymphs catch trout" repeatedly in my light research so far, but that's about all I got.

Anybody got a fish to post? I'm jonesin' real bad, man.

I usually only get to fish once per week, so I can't post fish, but hopefully I can help you catch one?

Matching the hatch is optional usually-- by my estimation pattern selection is about 20% of how likely a trout is to eat your fly, with most of the rest being your ability to present a dead drift without drag caused by your line loving your poo poo up and making the flies look unnatural. Nymphs certainly will produce more fish than anything else that you can use. Since your rod is so short it will probably be pretty tough for you to high stick, so I would recommend using mostly dry dropper rigs with the occasional thingamabobber (in the smallest size you can get) setup with small split shot sinkers if you need to fish deep water, say three feet or more. Here's what I would buy right off the rip to get a fly box started.

Streamers:
Bead Head Wooly Bugger, size 10 in olive and black- this is the absolute best pattern for a beginner to use in my opinion, and I almost always rig this up for anyone who comes with me to the river and has never fly fished before. It is pretty easy to cast, but mostly it is so imitative that even if you fish it wrong, you will still catch trout. I won't ever forget the first trout I caught on the fly, because I was walking from one spot I thought looked good to the next, didn't bother to pull my line in and my wooly bugger got eaten as I was walking up the river. Cast this above and beyond a lie, then strip back through it; cast over a riffle and dead drift through it, then, as drag sets in, let the fly "swing" across the current and strip it back towards you. Unlimited potential for learning different techniques, and plus it just absolutely wrecks fish. It's also the best first tie, probably.

Dries (don't skimp on your floatant; most of the cheap poo poo will not work. I use loon dust as well as loon silicone):
Stimulator, yellow or orange in sizes 10 and 12- this is basically a strike indicator with a hook. It can mimic stone flies, hoppers, large caddis, but you don''t care about that. You just care that trout will eat it, it is really buoyant and really easy to see

Elk or deer hair caddis in sizes 12 and 14- here, you should try to observe if the bugs in your area are mostly brown, mostly black or another color. I almost never see black bugs, so I usually fish a deer hair caddis with a yellow or brown body.

Nymphs (always with a bead head):
Frenchie, size 14- This is a modern take on the classic pheasant tail nymph, which imitates free swimming mayfly nymphs, but who cares? the hot spot looks like an egg and fish go after this poo poo like it's the last xbox on Black Friday

Guide's choice hare's ear, size 14- The hare's ear is another all time classic slayer which also imitates mayfly larvae, this time at the stage of life where they cling to rocks and form capsules or whatever the gently caress they do. This variation doubles as a soft hackle pattern, which means it also does a pretty convincing job of imitating emerging insects. Super versatile and basically a wooly bugger in nymph form in that you can't really fish it wrong. Be sure to let this one swing.

Some type of caddis larva pattern, either a greenie weenie, or better yet, my first choice, a yellow or chartreuse bead head mop fly in size 10 or 12- both these patterns will produce in high numbers even if you don't see caddis

a worm pattern, my first choice being a "squirmy wormy" in size 10- use this pretty much constantly-- it will make you catch more fish than you deserve to catch at any skill level

Y2K or another yarn egg pattern, pretty small like 13-16?- stocked fish stand no chance against this disgusting affront to the sport of fly fishing, and they can even get you hooked up to the big boys if you use them during any kind of spawn. If you are fishing stained and/or high water, rig this up with your worm pattern for the classic "spaghetti and meatballs" presentation!

Rainbow Warrior, size 16- doesn't really look like anything, but it wrecks fish bigly. Pretty lightly weighted, so use it under an indicator with split shot in deep water or under a dry fly in the riffle

I was gonna try to keep this short and keep my fly recommendations to the bare minimum, and so I wrote a small book and put down 9 flies that I think you have to buy. Welcome back to the sport! Once you are half way competent in casting, always fish two flies unless you're fishing streamers (and even then, it wouldn't hurt to rig a soft hackle up with it). Rig them like this with a triple surgeon's loop. If I had to pick a single rig from this list to start out with, I would do a big fat orange stimulator with either a worm or rainbow warrior dropper.

Read about mending your line to minimize drag.

edit: that aliexpress reel looks like an amazing value-- I'm seriously considering picking up a good number of them. Let me know if it's as great as it looks?

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 22, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

All that I could pull out of the river this morning, and only by snags :(

Tried grub jigs, body baits, spinning setups, etc. Nothing was biting in the water I was tossing into. I was sort of hoping a pike or two might be in the area, but only a huge school of gizzard shad doing their thing (it's a hot water outflow from a factory/plant that I fish for fun).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

I usually only get to fish once per week, so I can't post fish, but hopefully I can help you catch one?

Matching the hatch is optional usually-- by my estimation pattern selection is about 20% of how likely a trout is to eat your fly, with most of the rest being your ability to present a dead drift without drag caused by your line loving your poo poo up and making the flies look unnatural. Nymphs certainly will produce more fish than anything else that you can use. Since your rod is so short it will probably be pretty tough for you to high stick, so I would recommend using mostly dry dropper rigs with the occasional thingamabobber (in the smallest size you can get) setup with small split shot sinkers if you need to fish deep water, say three feet or more. Here's what I would buy right off the rip to get a fly box started.

Streamers:
Bead Head Wooly Bugger, size 10 in olive and black- this is the absolute best pattern for a beginner to use in my opinion, and I almost always rig this up for anyone who comes with me to the river and has never fly fished before. It is pretty easy to cast, but mostly it is so imitative that even if you fish it wrong, you will still catch trout. I won't ever forget the first trout I caught on the fly, because I was walking from one spot I thought looked good to the next, didn't bother to pull my line in and my wooly bugger got eaten as I was walking up the river. Cast this above and beyond a lie, then strip back through it; cast over a riffle and dead drift through it, then, as drag sets in, let the fly "swing" across the current and strip it back towards you. Unlimited potential for learning different techniques, and plus it just absolutely wrecks fish. It's also the best first tie, probably.

Dries (don't skimp on your floatant; most of the cheap poo poo will not work. I use loon dust as well as loon silicone):
Stimulator, yellow or orange in sizes 10 and 12- this is basically a strike indicator with a hook. It can mimic stone flies, hoppers, large caddis, but you don''t care about that. You just care that trout will eat it, it is really buoyant and really easy to see

Elk or deer hair caddis in sizes 12 and 14- here, you should try to observe if the bugs in your area are mostly brown, mostly black or another color. I almost never see black bugs, so I usually fish a deer hair caddis with a yellow or brown body.

Nymphs (always with a bead head):
Frenchie, size 14- This is a modern take on the classic pheasant tail nymph, which imitates free swimming mayfly nymphs, but who cares? the hot spot looks like an egg and fish go after this poo poo like it's the last xbox on Black Friday

Guide's choice hare's ear, size 14- The hare's ear is another all time classic slayer which also imitates mayfly larvae, this time at the stage of life where they cling to rocks and form capsules or whatever the gently caress they do. This variation doubles as a soft hackle pattern, which means it also does a pretty convincing job of imitating emerging insects. Super versatile and basically a wooly bugger in nymph form in that you can't really fish it wrong. Be sure to let this one swing.

Some type of caddis larva pattern, either a greenie weenie, or better yet, my first choice, a yellow or chartreuse bead head mop fly in size 10 or 12- both these patterns will produce in high numbers even if you don't see caddis

a worm pattern, my first choice being a "squirmy wormy" in size 10- use this pretty much constantly-- it will make you catch more fish than you deserve to catch at any skill level

Y2K or another yarn egg pattern, pretty small like 13-16?- stocked fish stand no chance against this disgusting affront to the sport of fly fishing, and they can even get you hooked up to the big boys if you use them during any kind of spawn. If you are fishing stained and/or high water, rig this up with your worm pattern for the classic "spaghetti and meatballs" presentation!

Rainbow Warrior, size 16- doesn't really look like anything, but it wrecks fish bigly. Pretty lightly weighted, so use it under an indicator with split shot in deep water or under a dry fly in the riffle

I was gonna try to keep this short and keep my fly recommendations to the bare minimum, and so I wrote a small book and put down 9 flies that I think you have to buy. Welcome back to the sport! Once you are half way competent in casting, always fish two flies unless you're fishing streamers (and even then, it wouldn't hurt to rig a soft hackle up with it). Rig them like this with a triple surgeon's loop. If I had to pick a single rig from this list to start out with, I would do a big fat orange stimulator with either a worm or rainbow warrior dropper.

Read about mending your line to minimize drag.

edit: that aliexpress reel looks like an amazing value-- I'm seriously considering picking up a good number of them. Let me know if it's as great as it looks?

Thank you for this! I will use this to hopefully avoid unnecessary trial and error. My reel already cleared customs and will arrive later this week. Very stoked to get that in my hands for some close inspection! I don't think I'll get to use it until late spring, though. I was checking WA regs for rivers and it seems like none of them are open during the winter, probably to protect salmon. By next fall, I hope they're going to need protection from me. :clint:

Sockington posted:

All that I could pull out of the river this morning, and only by snags :(

Tried grub jigs, body baits, spinning setups, etc. Nothing was biting in the water I was tossing into. I was sort of hoping a pike or two might be in the area, but only a huge school of gizzard shad doing their thing (it's a hot water outflow from a factory/plant that I fish for fun).

Dang. :( Do you catch a lot of pike? Those and muskie are on my bucket list of things to catch that don't live near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tried tying a new caddis nymph pattern today, with ultrawire crammed into narrow stretch tubing, and some hackle for legs/gills:

The tubing and the thread I used are UV-reflective as well, just in case all this rumbling about trout seeing UV light is correct:

Also, they just look cool. Getting the wire into the tubing is a huge pain, though. I think I'll try adding a dark bead to the hook next time, to give the fly some more weight and get it lower in the water faster.