Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

meatpotato posted:

just for fun, here are some photos of some interesting taiwanese house keys I took a while back
this key extends with a little button:

isn't this the kind that skeleton keys are a bypass for
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLsJDELd4lo

:colbert:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'm not a fan of bumping but it's feasible on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4f1H6mYHOI

at least in theory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO1zkWKK5dA

e: lot more info on a practical attack: https://enterthecore.net/foiling-the-forever-lock-by-deviant-ollam/

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 17, 2018

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

wow, holy gently caress

virtualbox is still maintained?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If its dogshit you know Larry has his hands all over it. That is the only "blessed" VM platform for Oracle DBs and they will threaten the poo poo out of you with legal and sales if you attempt to run their software on a different stack

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
imagine being stupid enough to buy something from oracle in this day and age

you get more equitable treatment from muggers

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know if they still do this, but a few years back if you ran a 2 vCPU Oracle VM on a 16 core server they would try to make you license all 16 cores. They justified this by saying that the paravirtual drivers offloaded cycles from inside the VM to the hypervisor allowing you to have more performance than you were entitled to by running their software in a VM. gently caress Oracle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't know if they still do this, but a few years back if you ran a 2 vCPU Oracle VM on a 16 core server they would try to make you license all 16 cores. They justified this by saying that the paravirtual drivers offloaded cycles from inside the VM to the hypervisor allowing you to have more performance than you were entitled to by running their software in a VM. gently caress Oracle.

lol hold on, were they arguing

A) running in a 2-core VM provided greater performance than if you were running on 2-core bare metal, ergo you owe us more money

or

B) running on a 2-core VM should provide lesser performance than on bare metal, and the fact that it doesn't means you owe us more money

??

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

these days they make you buy Oracle Database Appliances (ODAs) which are essentially magical physical servers running the UEK oracle linux as a kvm hypervisor and then on top of that are DB VMs running oracle enterprise linux or some poo poo. licensing wise they've got you by the nuts. admittedly if you dont touch them they appear to not fall over but holy lol when they do prepare for a 6+ hour phone call. last time our ODAs exploded i got called in despite not being a DBA or even proper linux dude (i know linux for the most part but it's not my day-to-day). they just needed someone to take over the 8 hour support call lol

edit: oh yeah the ODAs run in HA pairs and despite what you'd think it actually doubles complexity when troubleshooting. you can then cluster the HA pairs so when poo poo goes pair shaped you get to play "find the DB VM whereever it may have been?"

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 17, 2018

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
20-years left as of this Friday to fix your 32-bit integers

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Things are going well for MacOS lately.
https://twitter.com/wdormann/status/953651214532726789

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lain Iwakura posted:

20-years left as of this Friday to change careers and let some other suckers clean up your poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah macos is on a roll lately

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

was the development of it taken over by the itunes crew?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lain Iwakura posted:

way back in the day the article on wikipedia about this said something like "with a move to 64-bit timetsamps, the next time this will be an issue is in approximately 290 billion years; this is generally not considered a pressing issue"

but of course wikipedia hates fun

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao they really need to rewrite those priv escalation dialogs from the group up

e: ok the "allow" button wont show up in the sysprefs panel until you click "ok" to the dialog that tells you the app is unsigned. but i still get a username/password prompt. maybe it only happens for kexts (possibly since they dont have any UI and are not loaded through the UI?)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 17, 2018

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A) running in a 2-core VM provided greater performance than if you were running on 2-core bare metal, ergo you owe us more money

or

B) running on a 2-core VM should provide lesser performance than on bare metal, and the fact that it doesn't means you owe us more money

??

A, baby

pay for the whole host system but only use the tip

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

or

??

microsoft does this too with server 2016. your server only has 2 VCPUs but you gotta license for the bare metal cores and if you're clustering you gotta license the cores on the other physical hosts because in a failover situation itll now be running on those cores

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

licensing huh? not my area, you'll have to file an NMP (Not My Problem)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/0xdude/status/953374654068031489

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Lain Iwakura posted:

this is legitimately scarier than y2k

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

gently caress me I wish I had no morals

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

redleader posted:

this is legitimately scarier than y2k

I'm considering a career change 5-years before at the latest.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

minor thing but i noticed that whatsapp doesn't seem to actually hide message content on android lockscreen if you have that setup in the OS settings

android has an option to hide sensitive notification content which includes who sent you a message, message content, etc

i complained to whatsapp that it's literally the only app that does this and whatsapp just got back to me that it's a feature not a bug after instructing me how to disable notifications entirely

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

NEED MORE MILK posted:

microsoft does this too with server 2016. your server only has 2 VCPUs but you gotta license for the bare metal cores and if you're clustering you gotta license the cores on the other physical hosts because in a failover situation itll now be running on those cores

lol this is not true

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol this is not true

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
That's on bare metal, they have a different set of confusing rules if you're licensing Server Standard in a virtual environment (fully licensing a machine gets you two virtual licenses)

But the big difference is that MS decreased their per-core cost so that the cost didn't increase dramatically from before the per-core switch (unlike Oracle I'm guessing)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

more like infosec people slightly turned their heads in its direction 😜

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yes you pay your licenses for the cores on the host and then run as many guests as you want. This is not the scenario I am describing with oracle. They want you to buy licensing for each core your application might possibly touch, sometimes including other hosts in an HA cluster if the sales guy you are talking to is an Exceptional Dick. Or you buy their entire VM stack with UNLIMITED LICENSING for a half mil or whatever and its a big pile of dogshit because gently caress you.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

wyoak posted:

That's on bare metal, they have a different set of confusing rules if you're licensing Server Standard in a virtual environment (fully licensing a machine gets you two virtual licenses)

But the big difference is that MS decreased their per-core cost so that the cost didn't increase dramatically from before the per-core switch (unlike Oracle I'm guessing)

it only stays the same if youre < 16 cores/host. i dont even think intel makes a xeon with less than 12 cores now so thats 24 right there if youre dual cpu. also the HA licensing requires that you license the max number of VMs for every host

so if you have two hosts with 5 vms you have to license each host for 10 vms

if each host has 20 cores you have to have 10 vms * 20 cores * 2 hosts = 400 core licenses / 2 because you get 2 vms per fully licensed host = 200 core licenses

licensing is about $60 a core before any discounts so thats 12 grand

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 17, 2018

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

NEED MORE MILK posted:

it only stays the same if youre < 16 cores/host. i dont even think intel makes a xeon with less than 12 cores now so thats 24 right there if youre dual cpu. also the HA licensing requires that you license the max number of VMs for every host

if each host has 20 cores you have to have 10 vms * 20 cores * 2 hosts = 400 core licenses
This is getting off track, but yeah you're right if you're buying Standard for some reason, but anything involving HA with 10+ vms you should be buying Datacenter

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

NEED MORE MILK posted:

https://ark.intel.com/products/120499/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8156-Processor-16_5M-Cache-3_60-GHz

The 'have to run Oracle' SKU.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lmao jesus is intel getting in on the gouging because $10k for 4 cores is insane. that thing better have just absolutely preposterous single thread performance

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

NEED MORE MILK posted:

if each host has 20 cores you have to have 10 vms * 20 cores * 2 hosts = 400 core licenses / 2 because you get 2 vms per fully licensed host = 200 core licenses

licensing is about $60 a core before any discounts so thats 12 grand

Yep, that's about the pricing that its always been for datacenter licenses. MS has to do something to deal with core per socket counts going to the moon.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

NEED MORE MILK posted:

lmao jesus is intel getting in on the gouging because $10k for 4 cores is insane. that thing better have just absolutely preposterous single thread performance

it’s probably the cheapest major part of the box it goes in

and the hardware probably isn’t more than 10% of the total cost of the system

do never oracle

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Yes you pay your licenses for the cores on the host and then run as many guests as you want. This is not the scenario I am describing with oracle. They want you to buy licensing for each core your application might possibly touch, sometimes including other hosts in an HA cluster if the sales guy you are talking to is an Exceptional Dick. Or you buy their entire VM stack with UNLIMITED LICENSING for a half mil or whatever and its a big pile of dogshit because gently caress you.

honestly surprised Oracle hasn't tried to make moves for licensing based on percentage of revenue or dollar amount, whichever is greater

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

honestly surprised Oracle hasn't tried to make moves for licensing based on percentage of revenue or dollar amount, whichever is greater

lol I've been accidentally forwarded internal sales spreadsheets from a few of the big tech companies like that and if you don't think their sales guys have a spreadsheet with your estimate gross/net revenue and current tech outlays and will be adjusting their pricing to squeeze every red cent they can out of you then you're fooling yourself

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Hawaii agency that messed up with the false ICBM launch warning keeps their passwords publicly visible

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...source=vicefbus

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

way back in the day the article on wikipedia about this said something like "with a move to 64-bit timetsamps, the next time this will be an issue is in approximately 290 billion years; this is generally not considered a pressing issue"

but of course wikipedia hates fun

I like that Wikipedia hates fun, because the alternative, a Wikipedia laden with "hilarious" "jokes", would probably be absolutely intolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doom Mathematic posted:

I like that Wikipedia hates fun, because the alternative, a Wikipedia laden with "hilarious" "jokes", would probably be absolutely intolerable.

• Locked thread