Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lemon-lyme disease posted:

According to my wife, who’s worked at a humane society for more than a decade, there’s not really any such thing as a “no-kill” shelter - just ones where they don’t impose time limits on how long an adoptable animal can be up for adoption without going home with anyone. (I THINK this is what she said. I’ll have to double-check.)

If a pet comes in sick or antisocial, they’re still getting the needle. I can almost guarantee that cat would not make it from intake to the adoption center, if they’d take an owned animal at all.

But! that could just be the way things work around here. I’m far from an expert.

There are absolutely no-kill shelters, they just aren't state-run humane societies. There's one near me that specifically takes at-risk-of-euthanasia animals from shelters to take care of and rehome, even if they have big physical problems or are poorly socialized. That's their entire focus, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

boner confessor posted:

it is a fact of fire science that modern homes burn much faster than homes of a few decades ago simply because of all of the plastic poo poo and other stuff all over your house made of hydrocarbons. like, your couch, if it is recent, is probably made of basically plastic which burns much faster than plant based fibers like cotton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

these people have a basement packed to the rafters with vinyl statues set at a sufficient distance apart to facilitate airflow

i'm sure wife can figure it out from there

gently caress yeah, we got really efficient at killing ourselves.

Midnight Voyager posted:

There are absolutely no-kill shelters, they just aren't state-run humane societies. There's one near me that specifically takes at-risk-of-euthanasia animals from shelters to take care of and rehome, even if they have big physical problems or are poorly socialized. That's their entire focus, though.

Same, PAWS Chicago (not sure if PAWS is elsewhere or not) is a no-kill shelter through and through, they specifically take in animals that are in kill shelters and are going to be euthanized, as well as a lot of other animals.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

La Brea Carpet posted:

It came from Dear Prudence

From a few pages back...

One of my coworkers has a dead cat. That's been sitting in her freezer. FOR TWO YEARS! She apparently can't be bothered to dig a hole or have her fiance do it either.

That is handling a dead animal wrong.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Midnight Voyager posted:

The humane society my wife works at isn’t state-run, just state overseen? I assumed they all were though, since animals are involved.

I’m actually pretty pleased to hear this is a thing though. It’s not something I really have reason to think about often so I just sort of took her word for it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barudak posted:

If youre at the point of signing a contract, poo poo has gone tremendously south.

Ask me about having to sign a contract with my parents to have them help pay for school. poo poo was 5 pages long in ittty bitty format and had three signed copies made.

But was it notarized?!

I agree that if you get to the point of drafting/signing a contract, things have gone totally to Hell. I worked for a lawyer about ten years ago, and at a Christmas party a couple I knew were having a big argument about something. They eventually came over to me and asked me to write up a contract stipulating that if he went over X amount on hockey equipment, he had to go down on her more, but he wanted the stipulation that if she didn’t keep grooming to a landing strip or less, that would void that part.

If you’re asking a drunk paralegal to draft a sex contract, there’s no saving that relationship.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackmet posted:

From a few pages back...

One of my coworkers has a dead cat. That's been sitting in her freezer. FOR TWO YEARS! She apparently can't be bothered to dig a hole or have her fiance do it either.

That is handling a dead animal wrong.

When my father visited my mothers family for the first time, he went into the freezer to grab somethinf only to find a dead parrot. It was so old that my mother and my aunt never owned a parrot growing up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

LadyPictureShow posted:

But was it notarized?!

I agree that if you get to the point of drafting/signing a contract, things have gone totally to Hell. I worked for a lawyer about ten years ago, and at a Christmas party a couple I knew were having a big argument about something. They eventually came over to me and asked me to write up a contract stipulating that if he went over X amount on hockey equipment, he had to go down on her more, but he wanted the stipulation that if she didn’t keep grooming to a landing strip or less, that would void that part.

If you’re asking a drunk paralegal to draft a sex contract, there’s no saving that relationship.

That depends, was the guy a skater or a goalie? Goalie equipment is a capital investment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

But was it notarized?!

What do you think the third copy was for????

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Vargatron posted:

That depends, was the guy a skater or a goalie? Goalie equipment is a capital investment.

Are you saying amateur goalies are in enough demand to get paid or just that the specific equipment is more expensive?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lemon-lyme disease posted:

The humane society my wife works at isn’t state-run, just state overseen? I assumed they all were though, since animals are involved.

I’m actually pretty pleased to hear this is a thing though. It’s not something I really have reason to think about often so I just sort of took her word for it.

Yeah, I said it wrong, I meant like the big, main area shelters? I don't really know how to say that concisely. The ones that are likely to have the highest traffic just can't handle that, it's usually an auxiliary shelter of some kind that specifically caters to that kind of thing. Animal Ark Rescue near me takes in cats and dogs no matter how ill or injured, pregnant, or ill-socialized they may be.

If the lady gets pregnant and the cat still isn't dead, there really is probably somewhere they can take the cat where they'll be taken care of.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The Groper posted:

the specific equipment is more expensive?

Goalie's will spend, at minimum 1.5x what other players spend, realistically it's 2x+

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Groper posted:

Are you saying amateur goalies are in enough demand to get paid or just that the specific equipment is more expensive?

You're dropping about +$2500-3000 on a basic set of equipment, and that goes up depending on how hard the puck is being shot at you. Most of the time, rec goalie get reduced league fees and free ice time, but drat the barrier to entry is high.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

MF_James posted:

Goalie's will spend, at minimum 1.5x what other players spend, realistically it's 2x+

poo poo, I'd make my teammates chip in if they wanted any goals saved, then

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

there is no "human life," they dont have a kid

It's Schrodinger's baby.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Admiral Ray posted:

Have the baby and after the cat attacks it for no cause you'll find out where your boyfriend's priorities are.

Cat will probably do a 180 about a newborn baby and claim it as her kitten. Then they will have to euthanize the cat because she will attack them any time they try to change our feed the baby.

Edit: I am more of an idiot when I wake up.

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 18, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Come to Canada. Rental goalies are a real thing, and can actually make money over a rec season.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Barudak posted:

When my father visited my mothers family for the first time, he went into the freezer to grab somethinf only to find a dead parrot. It was so old that my mother and my aunt never owned a parrot growing up.

:discourse:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vargatron posted:

Not a goalie.

My brother plays goalie in an indoor league and it boggles my mind how much money he’s spent on equipment (even before he paid a shitload for a custom painted goalie helmet). However, he never asked me to draft a weird sex contract, thankfully.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

She needs to get rid of this guy before republicans ban late term abortion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Dude needs to sever and find a fellow compulsive fuckopoop hoarder. Then he can live the dream of a house where the walls are 100% covered in plastic garbage.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

boner confessor posted:

it is a fact of fire science that modern homes burn much faster than homes of a few decades ago simply because of all of the plastic poo poo and other stuff all over your house made of hydrocarbons. like, your couch, if it is recent, is probably made of basically plastic which burns much faster than plant based fibers like cotton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

these people have a basement packed to the rafters with vinyl statues set at a sufficient distance apart to facilitate airflow

i'm sure wife can figure it out from there

This is begging to be a music video for "Sunny Came Home"

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Bored posted:

Cat will probably do a 360 about a newborn baby and claim it as her kitten. Then they will have to euthanize the cat because she will attack them any time they try to change our feed the baby.

I think you mean a 180.

But mean old cats can totally have a change of heart around a new infant.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'll admit I'm mostly posting this one for the title.

I made a spreadsheet for my (25f) budget and realized that my boyfriend (30m) is getting way too expensive.

quote:

I don't know what to do anymore.

My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over two years.

My boyfriend had a decent job when I met him, which his friend helped him find. Friend moved on to something better, and I really think that my boyfriend just didn't want to work there without him. He ended up getting fired for three easily avoidable mistakes that he made, and he returned to the crappy seasonal job he's had for years working for his family.

He's now unemployed for three to four months out of each year. He has stayed at the seasonal job since losing the other one. I don't think he's ever actually gotten a job without family or a friend helping him. As long as he's working at this seasonal job, he will have a setback, because he goes totally broke for those few months and then has to spend some time getting back on his feet again.

I've tried to offer my help, but he won't accept it. He also has a horrible car so he can't come to my place, I always have to go there. There is no food and the place is a complete mess. I was merely tolerating it because it was the only way I could spend time with him. I complained multiple times about the cleaning. If I am forced to stay there, he could at least make it better for me, but he refuses! Even when he's off, he does a minimal amount of cleaning. I did everything for him when we first met, and he couldn't even be bothered to keep up with it, so I got frustrated and gave up.

The lack of stable employment isn't my only problem with him. I have goals. I want a home, I want to see the world, I want to return to college and hopefully start a career, but he seems kind of directionless. He is stagnating. He's glad to talk to me about my dreams and even shares some of the same ones, but when it comes to acting on anything, I feel like I'm completely on my own. I have fears for the future and he wants to "live carefree and live in the moment." I think he's just avoiding things that he doesn't want to deal with, personally.

A couple of days ago, I started coming down on him about all of this stuff. He shuts down every time I try to have a serious talk with him, and frankly, I was just sick of it and couldn't keep ignoring my feelings. He told me that he just didn't really know what to say, and I stopped talking to him. He's texted me a few times to see if I was okay. I decided that I'm going to go over there tonight and try to have a serious conversation with him, but I get the feeling that it will only end in disappointment.

I feel like the only option is to break up. I do love him, but the fact is, I know he probably isn't going to change. I know that he has probably always lived this way, but the fact that he won't even make his place habitable for me is just offensive and inconsiderate of my feelings. I could get over the other stuff if it felt like he gave a poo poo about a future with me, but he wants to avoid, avoid, avoid. I've straight up asked him what the hell he's doing with me if he doesn't want a future with me and he can't even give me an answer.

Thank you for reading... even if I don't get a response, the venting was still much needed.

TLDR: Boyfriend has no life goals and I honestly have no idea WTF we're doing in a relationship at this point.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It breaks my heart that people are capable of loving funko pops and it breaks my heart twice that someone loves someone capable of loving funko pops.

On the plus side their last name sounds like someone just got punched in the stomach.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Nessa posted:

I think you mean a 180.

I do! I had just woken up. And, yeah, cats like baby not-prey animals as friends.

Thank you for not calling me an idiot.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

I'll admit I'm mostly posting this one for the title.

I made a spreadsheet for my (25f) budget and realized that my boyfriend (30m) is getting way too expensive.

It's kind of refreshing that this woman has already decided to dump the lump instead of coming onto Reddit to post about how she loooooves him and breaking up can't be the answer!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

dudeness posted:

It breaks my heart that people are capable of loving funko pops and it breaks my heart twice that someone loves someone capable of loving funko pops.

On the plus side their last name sounds like someone just got punched in the stomach.

I have a friend of a friend who broke up with his fiance he's been living with for years because he didn't want to spend more than $100 on a ring or more than $1000 on a wedding saying its a frivolous waste of money when there's so much wrong in the world. He lives in a basement suite with entire walls covered with floor to ceiling shelves filled with funko pops and action figures and those really expensive "adult" action figures you can't even pose.

:(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I have a friend of a friend who broke up with his fiance he's been living with for years because he didn't want to spend more than $100 on a ring or more than $1000 on a wedding saying its a frivolous waste of money when there's so much wrong in the world. He lives in a basement suite with entire walls covered with floor to ceiling shelves filled with funko pops and action figures and those really expensive "adult" action figures you can't even pose.

Uh I’ve seen those adult action figures

Uhhh

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Baronjutter posted:

Burn that man to death.

Nessa posted:

I think you mean a 180.

Bored posted:

I do! I had just woken up. And, yeah, cats like baby not-prey animals as friends.

Thank you for not calling me an idiot.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55xt7

Don’t worry about it. Macho Man gave no fucks on the 180 vs 360 debacle.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 18, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A good man likes treating his lady. Like it is so nice to get flowers. Or a surprise fishing lure for your man. Nerds ruined gifting and they’re selfish.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean I have like 75 Amiibo but at least those look like the actual character they are, and their main function is my kid pulls then down of the shelf and plays pretend with them, and most of them were bargain bin ones that weren't selling, as rewards for good behavior. And these were accumulated over the course of like three and a half years so maybe one or two a month.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My [24/F] mother [47/F] called my work today about one of my coworkers and now I'm scared to go to work tomorrow

quote:

So basically after a couple or so years battling extreme anxiety I managed to get to the point where i'm back in work and found a job I really like working at a small bakery. I love the job, being busy, and just getting to be a normal person. I have had trouble making friends but that's because obviously it's still a bit difficult for me to relax around people and it just takes time. I get on with everyone at work just fine. Except one

She's an older coworker and is a supervisor putting her above me and the other team workers. She used to be really rude and would ridicule the team workers for pretty much anything. It got so bad there ended up being 10 complaints about her. I never put in a complaint because I wanted to keep things okay but a customer put in a complaint from the way they saw her talk to me, that's how bad it was.

So I had my first shift with her today since all of that and she was a lot more polite and pleasant but you could definitely tell she was not happy to be working with me. She somewhat snapped at me a couple of times and then "accidentally" kept me behind an hour without asking. I'm pretty sure I heard her talking about me to someone as well but I can't be 100% on that. Either way I was just having a pretty bad day overall and that was just the last thing I needed. On my way home i called my mother and had a bit of a cry on the phone to her about it but said I was just upset because I was tired as well (had difficulty sleeping last night so only got 2/3 hours)

And then she did the worst thing she could, she called my work. The supervisor in question answered the phone and my mother complained about her being passive aggressive to me and said she wanted to talk to the manager and she will take it to head office if she needs to.

I didn't know she was going to do that, and yeah she had been passive aggressive but I'm not sure it was really a big enough deal for her to have done that. I only found out because the manager rang me and asked what happened cos my mother had told them about me crying. We're going to talk properly tomorrow morning but I'm already making GBS threads myself. I feel like whatever little chance I had of intergrating is now hosed and I feel like this is so much fuss I didn't want. Scared to go into work again. I worry it's all ruined and I'll have to leave.

I don't know if I'm gonna be okay. What is the best way to approach this tomorrow?

TL;DR Coworker who has was given a disciplinary for talking to team members like crap was somewhat passive aggressive to me today and my mother has called and kicked up a fuss about it and now I'm scared to go to work tomorrow, what do?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you are an adult don't tell your parents poo poo. Parents are idiots.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

^-- my parents are not idiots and would never do something like this, since I've been like 16 they basically treated me as an adult, not everyone is out of touch with reality and a loving idiot.

Danaru posted:

My [24/F] mother [47/F] called my work today about one of my coworkers and now I'm scared to go to work tomorrow

LoL you have crippling anxiety because of your mom (most likely) and you think she won't torpedo your life again after you finally start to manage it? Good job!

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Danaru posted:

Gee I wonder where her severe anxiety developed.

*Is 12, starts walking down the street alone*

*Maternal screeching begins in the distance*

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pick posted:

A good man likes treating his lady. Like it is so nice to get flowers. Or a surprise fishing lure for your man. Nerds ruined gifting and they’re selfish.

My husband buys me Funko Pops. :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MF_James posted:

^-- my parents are not idiots and would never do something like this, since I've been like 16 they basically treated me as an adult, not everyone is out of touch with reality and a loving idiot.

LoL you have crippling anxiety because of your mom (most likely) and you think she won't torpedo your life again after you finally start to manage it? Good job!

My parents are mostly fine but don't dare complain about anything to them or they think it's their business to fix it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
no kill shelters are kind of an oxymoron because they have limited space, which means that at best they can just temporarily reduce the number of animals euthanized per their capacity and just offload all the animals that need to be killed onto regular shelters.

Either way the same number of animals are gonna be getting put down yearly for lack of homes, it's just they don't individually get their hands dirty. Even if you have one with an open spot near you it just ultimately means the next person in line is gonna get turned away or they'll be unable to take in an animal on death row from a regular shelter.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Labes for days posted:

My husband buys me Funko Pops. :(

good material for a potential divorce case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

no kill shelters are kind of an oxymoron because they have limited space, which means that at best they can just temporarily reduce the number of animals euthanized per their capacity and just offload all the animals that need to be killed onto regular shelters.

Either way the same number of animals are gonna be getting put down yearly for lack of homes, it's just they don't individually get their hands dirty. Even if you have one with an open spot near you it just ultimately means the next person in line is gonna get turned away or they'll be unable to take in an animal on death row from a regular shelter.

Gotta start somewhere, the hope is that they will start a movement so that all shelters go that route, the no-kill shelters (at least the ones I've seen) take better care of their animals, better vet assistance and actually do training and poo poo. We adopted a dog from PAWS a few months ago and he was brought in at like 3 months old, we got him at 7 months, they had taught him basic commands, he was house broken etc etc.