Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

What's the opposite of an honest healer? Because I was doing guildhests since I had a bunch I still hadn't done and wanted to unlock Mentor Roulette, and ran into a CNJ that didn't cast a single heal.

A red mage in training.

Alternatively: A scholar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

faptown posted:

A good player.

everyone died, repeatedly, including him

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arist posted:

everyone died, repeatedly, including him

Mission accomplished.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It was the will of the elementals.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

TFRazorsaw posted:

That being said, I have to comment on some stuff.

Papalymo's death hit me harder than Haurchefant's, honestly. He and Yda are the first major characters I befriended in the game, and my attachment to them was/is greater. This is by no means saying that Haurchefant wasn't sad, or that I didn't feel anything, I just wonder if my emotional attachment to him is at odds with a lot of the popular opinion, and is perhaps the result of the localization toning his attraction to you down a bit and/or my having had him around for a few months as opposed to the years stretching between ARR and HW.

That being said, I will now rank the moments in HW that made me feel things in terms of how hard they hit me:

- Papalymo and Ysayle's deaths (two way tie)
- Haurchefant's death
- The kobold child's parents and Titan's summoning
- Estinien leaving flowers for Ysayle
- The final steps of faith, Ysayle and Haurchefant's spirits coming to our aid, and Nidhogg's demise
- Tiamat's story
- Yda revealing her true identity
- Minfilia's goodbye
- Urianger revealing his motivations re: the warriors of darkness (his VA really made this work)

For gently caress yeah and warm fuzzy feeling moments, in no particular order:

- Getting to kick Ilberd's rear end one more time
- Omega vs. Shinryu
- The moment when I realized that Primal actually was Shinryu and what was about to happen
- Raubahn and Nanamo's reunion
- Just. Getting to sit down and have a meal with Aymeric and just have a calm moment of celebration.
- The memory lane quest for Ishgard, showing how I'd improved everyone's lives, and that I'd actually made the world a better place.

Funniest moments:

- Alphinaud getting poo poo on at every opportunity by Krile
- Alphinaud's baby crush on Y'shtola and everything associated with it
- Getting Nero's loving reaper and using it on who I'm told is Garlean Team Rocket
- Yda/Lyse and the button
- Alphinaud vs. life (the whole expansion)

Stuff I didn't expect to find interesting but I did/lore stuff I find intriguing:

- Regula turned out to be a much more interesting character than my first impressions gave.
- The Void turning out to be one of the shards
- Just the whole "13 shards" in general stuff

Stuff I wish had been handled better:

- Minfilia deserved better

Here's your prize:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9RGvi2mDsY
Dang, it didn't seem like I could hide this under more spoiler tags.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A red mage in training.

Alternatively: A scholar.
I'm definitely guilty of prioritizing rock tossing over tank healing. In a few levels it will all work out because I'll go OoM spamming Holy, instead.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bell_ posted:

Here's your prize:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9RGvi2mDsY
Dang, it didn't seem like I could hide this under more spoiler tags.

That was worth a chuckle.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got a kitten minion from a quest. Are there any more I could get in different colors?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kuvo posted:

it should automatically give you a failing grade if you show up in the Shisui gear

also no one has posted this cool new mount

When in doubt, pinkie out.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Schneider Heim posted:

I got a kitten minion from a quest. Are there any more I could get in different colors?

Oh there are more kittens friend.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was worth a chuckle.

Regula is pretty cool. Grynewaht... exists, I suppose.

Kind of weird that he gets so much focus. He gets more than Livia and Rhitatyn, weirdly enough.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh there are more kittens friend.

Is there a tuxedo kitten??

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kind of weird that he gets so much focus. He gets more than Livia and Rhitatyn, weirdly enough.

I blame most of 1.0's character shortcomings on them trying to find their footing after literally upending everything

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

There's a gaelkitten from the MB and the black kitten from the GS.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alder posted:

There's a gaelkitten from the MB and the black kitten from the GS.

And another kitten for Centurio seals.

And an extremely large kitten for running lots and lots of duties as a dark knight.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I still feel like we didn't get to beat Illberd's rear end enough.

I never did that quest at the end of HW. I suppose I should.

Yuyuhase is still out there, that deep voiced little gently caress. Maybe we'll get to go to his trial and see him swing.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 19, 2018

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
https://minionguide.com/minions lists all of the minions. And on a different page, all the mounts.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TFRazorsaw posted:

I blame most of 1.0's character shortcomings on them trying to find their footing after literally upending everything

1.0 is og FF14. 2.0 is A Realm Reborn.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

urf. I keep making that mistake. I meant 2.0

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Grynewaht owns

all those cutscenes and voice acting and it's all building up to a DOOM reference

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Grynewaht actually gets a complete character arc, which is better than a lot of secondary villains get.

With an unexpectedly :magical: showdown, even.

(do not, under any circumstances, skip the boss intro cutscene the first time you run the level 67 dungeon)

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 19, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

https://minionguide.com/minions lists all of the minions. And on a different page, all the mounts.

I like this one personally: https://apkallufalls.com/#/minions

Thundarr posted:

Grynewaht actually gets a complete character arc, which is better than a lot of secondary villains get.

With an unexpectedly :magical: showdown, even.

RIP AND TEAR :black101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's the best way to farm Amber Vilekins for Anima stuff? I tried googling but get a lot of mixed results.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The lore book made me like every character. Minfilia is a miner and met Tataru while selling off some stones to the goldsmith guild where Tataru was basically working as a child slave accountant because Ul'dah is a loving awful place. So Minfilia is like come be an accountant for a secret world preservation task force instead.

This is all a fever dream of a slowly dying enslaved child Tataru is what I am saying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

What's the best way to farm Amber Vilekins for Anima stuff? I tried googling but get a lot of mixed results.

Oh, funny story: I actually just got nine of those today to get the music rolls.

You wanna do the Levequest "Show Your Work". Go to the starting point, activate the Levequest, and look around. If you see a chest, open it and then reset the leve. If you don't, reset the leve. Then retry and do it again until you have as many as you need.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much the best way is to grab the levequest Dance Magic Dance in Ishgard. There's a big rock right in the middle of the leve area from which you can look around for any chests without moving. Once you grab one or fail to find any chests, just cancel and reset the leve.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Pick up the levequest "Dance, Magic Dance" in Foundation. Fly out to Dravaninan Hinderlands and start it up. Look for a chest in the area circled in your map. If you find one, loot it for the Vilekin. If not, abandon the levequst and restart it. Takes about 30 sec. The chest spawn rate seems to be around 15% in my experience so dont get discouraged if you dont see any chests for a while.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
well I fantasia'd to a roe and I'm pretty happy with the results
(honestly not having stupid anime waifu emotes is worth it in itself)

there was a random carbunkle hanging out on top of this stall for whatever reason

oh and what's the eta on razing uldah to the ground because my god gently caress that place

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

pupuru posted:

there was a random carbunkle hanging out on top of this stall for whatever reason

There is actually an arcanist catgirl wandering around Mor dhona sniffing the air and trying to find her carbuncle who hides in various places.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The lore book made me like every character. Minfilia is a miner and met Tataru while selling off some stones to the goldsmith guild where Tataru was basically working as a child slave accountant because Ul'dah is a loving awful place. So Minfilia is like come be an accountant for a secret world preservation task force instead.

This is all a fever dream of a slowly dying enslaved child Tataru is what I am saying.

Lore book?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I really like Praetorium and Aetherochemical Research Facility's bosses as well as the last boss of Baelsar's Wall, but I don't think there's been a dungeon boss fight in this game that I enjoy more than Zenos in Ala Mhigo.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I think you can only get it direct from squares online store but it's 300 pages of awesome poo poo. Such as Kan E Senna is a lush, yshtola collects shoes and those octopus monsters are called void monks because the first time anyone saw one was when a monk threw a punch so hard it ripped open a hole to the void and one escaped.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

those octopus monsters are called void monks because the first time anyone saw one was when a monk threw a punch so hard it ripped open a hole to the void and one escaped.

what

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

those octopus monsters are called void monks because the first time anyone saw one was when a monk threw a punch so hard it ripped open a hole to the void and one escaped.

:stare:

I need this book in my life.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
:siren: Reminder that the 4.2 Live Letter starts in two hours! :siren:

e:

what did they mean by this

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 19, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think you can only get it direct from squares online store but it's 300 pages of awesome poo poo. Such as Kan E Senna is a lush, yshtola collects shoes and those octopus monsters are called void monks because the first time anyone saw one was when a monk threw a punch so hard it ripped open a hole to the void and one escaped.

Lush? You mean Kan-e-Senna's alcoholic?

She shows up more in the story, doesn't she?

I am just about to sign up for a Grand Company.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Schneider Heim posted:

Lush? You mean Kan-e-Senna's alcoholic?

She shows up more in the story, doesn't she?

I am just about to sign up for a Grand Company.

There have been some throwaway lines in game that Kan-e has gotten wasted off of mead. I don't think you ever see it though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The lore book is great and I highly recommend it. There's a whole section on the afterlife that I absolutely wasn't expecting. I feel bad every time I kill the last boss in Labyrinth of the Ancients now. Also the Nael thing is weird.

SonicRulez posted:

Two of my sprouts are gonna get married, so if anybody wants to attend just send a Tell to Lilith Vrinn or Merwin Vyraxian. The wedding is January 19th (next Friday) at 8 pm EST. It's gon be cute.

Somethin came up so that these guys can't make it, so if you happened to snag an invite, I just wanted to let you know.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

pupuru posted:

oh and what's the eta on razing uldah to the ground because my god gently caress that place

gently caress me I was joking

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

sold

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How expensive is the US shipping from the SE store anyway? It's expensive as gently caress for Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Live letter has started guys.

The trailer is ... interesting.