Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah identifying with the mass-market pop culture enough to make it a part of your lifelong declaration of love is disturbing to me in the way that identifying with the kind of sex you have isn't.

Pick posted:

NO I’M SPECIAL ONLY I HAVE A TARDiS DrESs reeeeeeeeeeee

http://offbeatbride.com/tag/geeky/ there are a hundred and fourteen pages of poo poo under this tag, have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

TheScott2K posted:

There are so many people for whom "interests" personality means "preferred IPs" and boy is it sad.

FTFY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would probably do a clone high wedding if offered

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah identifying with the mass-market pop culture enough to make it a part of your lifelong declaration of love is disturbing to me in the way that identifying with the kind of sex you have isn't.

Its easier for me to sit through a wedding where the bride and grooms processional song is the Donner Superman Theme and the glassware all says “with great love comes great responsibility” than it is to sit through a wedding where the groom crawls to the alter on all fours dragged by a collar and nude except a diaper.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think it's okay to have one or two nods to pop culture you like, but once you've gotten to the point where it's the theme of your wedding is going way past that. Like, something can have a personal meaning to you despite being mass-market pop culture!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

boner confessor posted:

on the contrary last year i attended a wedding at the old JAX brewery building on jackson square in new orleans, the food was a mix of lebanese vegan and southern bbq, and after all the old people went to bed the remainder of the wedding party embarked a drunken ramble through the french quarter forty strong that lasted until dawn and that wedding loving owned

That doesn't sound like a theme wedding, though? Unless the theme is "getting drunk and having a good time," one of the very few acceptable themes for a wedding reception.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Barudak posted:

Its easier for me to sit through a wedding where the bride and grooms processional song is the Donner Superman Theme and the glassware all says “with great love comes great responsibility” than it is to sit through a wedding where the groom crawls to the alter on all fours dragged by a collar and nude except a diaper.

All of these things can be avoided by just curating your friends better :)
I've only been to a few friend's weddings and they've all been great. No embarassing themes, no drawn out boring bits, just a great time from ceremony to the reception/party.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Pick posted:

I would probably do a clone high wedding if offered

:yeah:

Not feeling physically attracted to my [21F] otherwise wonderful boyfriend [19M]

quote:

submitted 5 years ago * by only_one_contact

I [21F] have been going out with my boyfriend [19M] for five months. He is kind to me, seems to be mostly emotionally healthy, smart, doesn't mind my offbeat sense of humor, and we have a lot of fun doing all sorts of activities together. The thing is, I was never particularly physically attracted to him, and lately it has been increasingly difficult for me to engage in sex acts with him. I typically have a relatively high sex drive, but for the past few weeks I have been making up excuses to avoid sex, which is a chicken-poo poo move on my part and not fair to him either.

Another important piece of information is that our relationship already had an expiration date (the end of May 2013) from the beginning, since I am moving to another state and he is going to Europe for a year. (Neither of us wants to pursue a long-distance arrangement.)

I am unsure how to proceed with this relationship. In my ideal fantasy world, I would somehow rekindle attraction for him and proceed as before until May. Another option would be to break up with him, but I hesitate to jump to this step, since I do genuinely enjoy his company. Advice on what I should do? Hold out until May? Break up? Some other option I'm not thinking of?

tl;dr: not attracted to my otherwise kind, fun, and funny boyfriend.

i'm not attracted to him and we're about to break up anyway what do i do reddit. gawrsh.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Antivehicular posted:

That doesn't sound like a theme wedding, though? Unless the theme is "getting drunk and having a good time," one of the very few acceptable themes for a wedding reception.

it was just a normal good rear end wedding. short ceremony, long dinner, and then optional endless afterparty

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

girl pants posted:

http://offbeatbride.com/tag/geeky/ there are a hundred and fourteen pages of poo poo under this tag, have fun
I'm not sure I feel strongly enough to actually get pleasure out of scoffing at people getting married in a way they seem happy with. It's disturbing more in the way that sex trafficking is disturbing - I am troubled by the way society has affected these people without wanting to actually deride the individuals involved.

PetraCore posted:

I think it's okay to have one or two nods to pop culture you like, but once you've gotten to the point where it's the theme of your wedding is going way past that. Like, something can have a personal meaning to you despite being mass-market pop culture!
Yeah this is true too, for sure, not trying to deride *liking* pop culture either and anything can be fuel for actually meaningful inside jokes or references.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would gladly be officiated by clone high JFK

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

girl pants posted:

:yeah:

Not feeling physically attracted to my [21F] otherwise wonderful boyfriend [19M]

i'm not attracted to him and we're about to break up anyway what do i do reddit. gawrsh.

How do you get someone back in the friend zone once they accidentally escape

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My friend walked down the aisle to the Jurassic Park theme but that's just a nice piece of music

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
My [25M] girlfriend [22F] of 2 years is convinced she's allergic to carbonated beverages

quote:

Ok when we first started dating, I didn't really realize the extent of the problem. I noticed she didn't drink soda, but didn't make anything of that. That's not a totally unusual preference, right?

Then, on NYE, I brought her a glass a champagne to toast at midnight. She was visibly repulsed and looked at me like I should have known better. Now... I'm clueless and a little taken aback, but I didn't push it any more that night. Set the drinks aside and continued the night like normal.

But the next day, I asked her about it. Turns out, she's absolutely convinced that she's allergic to carbonated beverages. All kinds of carbonated beverages. She hasn't gone to a doctor to confirm this, and after spending some time on Google, I'm not entirely convinced that's a thing. I mean, the thing that makes drinks carbonated is carbon dioxide, which she routinely inhales and exhales.

I haven't confronted her about any of this, and it hasn't really caused any real issues. We have a healthy and loving relationship otherwise and I've never noticed any other, um, quirks like this. But I'll admit it's getting in my head. She claims that, as a kid, any time she drank anything carbonated, she tongue would feel fuzzy and swell up and that she'd have stomach issues for hours. I definitely believe her, but I think maybe she's misattributing what caused those symptoms to carbonation when it might be another ingredient.

I want to ask her to see a doctor to get an allergy test, but I'm worried that she'll think I'm patronizing her. Help?

tl;dr: Girlfriend thinks she's allergic to carbonated drinks. Should I ask her to get that tested?
I mean, maybe she actually had a reaction to an ingredient in a soda once, but it can't be the carbonation can it? Just have her sip on a plain soda water and see what happens.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Barudak posted:

If you read her note, she isnt asking if she should break up because “breaking up is not an option for me”. She wont break up with a person she has concerns may sexually assault any daughter they have together which moves her from “idiot” to “woman claiming on the news she didnt realize her husbands charity she worked full time at existed solely to diddle kids”

Goddamn, I missed the standard “no breakups” disclaimer in the middle of that shitshow :smith:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

I'm not sure I feel strongly enough to actually get pleasure out of scoffing at people getting married in a way they seem happy with. It's disturbing more in the way that sex trafficking is disturbing - I am troubled by the way society has affected these people without wanting to actually deride the individuals involved.

I understand that up to a point, but I am also looking at a man wearing a clip-on 8bit tie and perler bead Pokeball boutonniere at his own wedding right now, and the urge to make fun of him is irresistable.

Best friend(M24) confessed to liking me two days before my(F24) wedding.

quote:

submitted 3 days ago by Soontobebride9

I’ve known him for 12 years and it’s safe to say we’re each other’s best friends. I had a crush on him when I was 15 but it passed since he never really did anything about it, and he did know I liked him.

I’ve been with my fiancé for 6 years. Today my best friend completely out of the blue sends me a message saying he’ll regret it for the rest of his life if he doesn’t tell me this and that he’s an idiot for not having taken the chance when I liked him years ago. That he loves me more than just a friend and he’s liked me for years now but he knows no one will make me as happy as my fiancé. That he’s really sad he will never be with me now.

Got absolutely no idea of how to react or what to reply with. I feel so goddamn awkward about this. I am of course NOT canceling anything. I don’t like him that way anymore. I don’t want to ruin the friendship but at the same time I feel like he just did.

tl;dr: Best friend of 12 years just told me he likes me two days before my wedding. Unsure of what to say.

Why do people do this. Just keep your mouth shut JFC.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is totally ok to shame people for not having an actual personality.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheScott2K posted:

My friend walked down the aisle to the Jurassic Park theme but that's just a nice piece of music

The melodica version I hope?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

If you guys want to see the worst loving weddings just head on down to offbeat bride. They've been on the fplus twice. I hate geeks so much.

edit: this one even has funkopop! http://offbeatbride.com/geek-adventure-wedding/

My boyfriend and I went to a wedding of his friend. It was Nic Cage themed (they got engaged at a Nic Cage festival and the wife had a tattoo from the event on her hamhock of an arm). It was like a ‘dress up as a Nic Cage character’ theme.

I styled a wig and did face paint for Ghost Rider. Only it turned out the entirety of the wedding was ‘sit down, eat a vegan burger, sit through Vampire’s Kiss and then ?????’

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend and I went to a wedding of his friend. It was Nic Cage themed (they got engaged at a Nic Cage festival and the wife had a tattoo from the event on her hamhock of an arm). It was like a ‘dress up as a Nic Cage character’ theme.

I styled a wig and did face paint for Ghost Rider. Only it turned out the entirety of the wedding was ‘sit down, eat a vegan burger, sit through Vampire’s Kiss and then ?????’

this owns though

edit: seriously, there are nic cage FESTIVALS?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'll tell you what, if I met it a partner at the "nic cage festival" I would thoroughly vet them to make sure they were the "one time for a laugh" kind of attendee and not the "true believer" kind of attendee.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

The melodica version I hope?

This version:

https://youtu.be/o-nrYTNjxpg

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

girl pants posted:

I understand that up to a point, but I am also looking at a man wearing a clip-on 8bit tie and perler bead Pokeball boutonniere at his own wedding right now, and the urge to make fun of him is irresistable.

Jesus Christ that guy is a selfish rear end in a top hat. Sever

Barudak
May 7, 2007

girl pants posted:

Because their life is a story and theyve yet to realize its one of those boring ones where nothing happens and the dull characters express regrets over dull, middle class problems they could have solved.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

girl pants posted:

this owns though

edit: seriously, there are nic cage FESTIVALS?

It was called ‘C4ged’.

The whole situation might have been less offensive if we hadn’t driven from DC to Austin in order to do nothing (dressed up as Ghost Rider).

Also they had a house party the day after. They had waaaaay too many Funkopops.

(I was so miserable in that pic)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
2?.... 3???

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

This actually made me angry.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Barudak posted:

Because their life is a story and theyve yet to realize its one of those boring ones where nothing happens and the dull characters express regrets over dull, middle class problems they could have solved.

Love Actually did so much damage.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheScott2K posted:

I want to walk down the aisle to the imperial march because I am a bad person

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

a fascist?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm sure you can find a billion starwars themed weddings where exactly that happens.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Anony Mouse posted:

My [25M] girlfriend [22F] of 2 years is convinced she's allergic to carbonated beverages

I mean, maybe she actually had a reaction to an ingredient in a soda once, but it can't be the carbonation can it? Just have her sip on a plain soda water and see what happens.
Look what her reaction is though

quote:

She claims that, as a kid, any time she drank anything carbonated, she tongue would feel fuzzy and swell up and that she'd have stomach issues for hours
I mean, that's true, that's how it works. The carbonation tastes "fuzzy" on your tongue and then the bubbles give you bloating and gas. It's not an actual allergy, that's just what carbonation does.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The most upsetting wedding theme I've ever seen was Tiffany & Co., and nobody involved had the faintest clue why such a thing was wildly nihilistic. It's just, like, Tiffany is Classy, man. Nightmarish.
consuming commercial media is not a loving IDENTITY. Jesus CHRIST has America ever earned every particle of poo poo we're currently in.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

For me it’s the weird wine kitsch. It screams “I will be an alcoholic forever”

As opposed to all those temporary alcoholics.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:barf:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkHMSKgIWs

Way better than the imperial march.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

Me from age 24 to 28

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

It smacks of a denial that means never admitting there is a problem. You can’t escape what you don’t allow yourself to perceive.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I like posting about this because I'm self-obsessed

My wife and I figured out tasteful ways to work our nerdy interests into our wedding. For example the wedding party and I went down the aisle to Downstream from Braid; my wife walked to the Vitamin String Quartet version of Seasons of Love from Rent

it was a nice Easter egg if you got the reference and nice music if you didn't

Also our recessional was Praise You, I was particularly proud of that one but it wasn't a nerd reference as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Isn’t a 50 Shades theme wedding just publicly airing your wank fodder? It’s not even really BSDM so it’s mostly just an admission that the bride likes to fantasize about rich men and power imbalances. My wedding theme will be FEET AND BIG TITS.