Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Is that Pop hoarder also a professional wrestler? He's got a bunch of wrestling belts in those cases. Maybe winning wrestling titles is where his GWM really shines...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

Is that Pop hoarder also a professional wrestler? He's got a bunch of wrestling belts in those cases. Maybe winning wrestling titles is where his GWM really shines...?

I'm pretty sure those are also "collectables".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Haifisch posted:

Anything targeting adult nerds now is never going to be super-valuable(barring weird bubbles) since the hoarder nerds will preserve so many of them.
There's still one backdoor way - the first few issues of Walking Dead are pretty valuable (because they had a tiny printing and obviously were not hoarded and then became a TV show years later). Wouldn't ever try to do it again, since trying to predict what becomes a popular TV show and hoard accordingly is literally impossible, but that's not really a weird bubble, just a cross-media effect.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

This one makes me physically ill. Good work.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Some guy in that thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fatFIRE/comments/7q5v6y/25_and_2mm_networth/dsneaju/ posted:

I regret my investment in SNAP since it was definitely a misallocation compared to other opportunities lol, but I still won't sell it. Worst case scenario they get acquired at a strong premium.

Pretty sure worst case scenario is that they go belly up and your investment goes to 0. Pretty sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am also pretty sure.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Also OP:

quote:

I hate to say this but I think 2MM to 10MM is very conservative. I expect at least 20MM by end of 2018 based on my portfolio.

I mean, why stop at $20M when you're just making poo poo up? How about $200M?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"I'm basically set for life. But you know what would be even better? Being nakedly greedy about it."

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Good Parmesan posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2979kk/29yo_lawyer_making_60kyr_93000_in_debt_live/

29y/o lawyer. Making $60k/yr. $93,000 in debt. Live frugally & pay off debt or make min. payments 20+ yrs until forgiven

Is the BWM here that he is a lawyer only making 60k? I didn't even know that was possible.

Also, people hoping for student debt forgiveness are in for a big, unpleasant shocker.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's still one backdoor way - the first few issues of Walking Dead are pretty valuable (because they had a tiny printing and obviously were not hoarded and then became a TV show years later). Wouldn't ever try to do it again, since trying to predict what becomes a popular TV show and hoard accordingly is literally impossible, but that's not really a weird bubble, just a cross-media effect.

I have a whole lot of early Deadpool comics from the '90s but they are in lovely condition because I read them rather than leaving them in plastic. They'd be worth a bit if I'd just hoarded them, thanks to the movie.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is the BWM here that he is a lawyer only making 60k? I didn't even know that was possible.
A large number of lawyers are making in that range

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lol

https://www.nalp.org/salarydistrib

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Common_misperception_of_progressive_tax_rates.jpg

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Those are starting salaries, I think, but exactly - a very bimodal distribution.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

gvibes posted:

Those are starting salaries, I think, but exactly - a very bimodal distribution.

not every lawyer/doctor gets to make fat stacks, even with a decade of seniority

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

According to NALP, US public defenders start around $47,500 and with 11-15 years experience make about $76k, which hardly seems worth it given their hopeless case loads.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It's grinding for people who don't care about ever getting a decent mount.

You guys, no one ever appreciated this.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BWM 2018: I didnt do nuthin wrong tho

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The road to court is paved with good intentions.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Enfys posted:

According to NALP, US public defenders start around $47,500 and with 11-15 years experience make about $76k, which hardly seems worth it given their hopeless case loads.

It's like being a teacher, except instead of lovely kids, you're dealing with lovely cops or lovely criminals.

Yeah, add that to the list of "jobs that are not worth it". Bless all you lawyers getting treated like poo poo and paid peanuts.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have two FunkoPops on my desk at work - one of Zoidberg and one of Moriarty - but both of them are out of the box because I think they're cute, fun toys and not my meal ticket to early retirement.

They generate a lot of good conversation with people who come visit me in my office.

I think they're actually kind of fun toys, but I highly do not understand the compulsion to collect them all.

That contract is absolutely loving bonkers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

NancyPants posted:

You guys, no one ever appreciated this.

WoW horses don’t get sick, so maybe they are GWM? Poor Invincible, thought of whelps and died.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

WoW horses don’t get sick, so maybe they are GWM? Poor Invincible, thought of whelps and died.

I thought it was a sex joke because nerds don't get laid.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Barry posted:

Also OP:

I mean, why stop at $20M when you're just making poo poo up? How about $200M?

If you it makes you feel better he lost like $800k the day after he posted it, and is still down $500-600k.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drunk Tomato posted:

It's like being a teacher, except instead of lovely kids, you're dealing with lovely cops or lovely criminals.

Yeah, add that to the list of "jobs that are not worth it". Bless all you lawyers getting treated like poo poo and paid peanuts.
Except teachers don't have to pay out the nose to go to school an additional four years, all for a career path that's oversaturated and won't make them as much as most people think it will.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
My coworker who has a few thousand in credit card debt and is taking money from his IRA to pay for a bachelor party trip to Miami came in this morning talking about how he made $17000 last night from one stock.

The stock did a 20:1 reverse split and the share price was now at $2. I had to break it to him that although the share price was 20x higher he now owns 20x fewer shares so he really didn't make any money at all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Trustworthy posted:

He also runs a Coke bottling line.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

That contract is absolutely loving bonkers.

The contract seems terribly in his favor; 100% rollover, can use money from future months with no penalty, doesn't include a bunch of expensive items.

It only makes sense as a compromise if he was spending $20k/yr before.

I assume instead that he spends a bunch on the toys and wrote a contract that didn't limit him so that he could brag to other toy collectors about how he spends so much on toys that him and his wife needed to sign a contract.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Except teachers don't have to pay out the nose to go to school an additional four years, all for a career path that's oversaturated and won't make them as much as most people think it will.
Yeah it's usually an additional two years extra for any semblance of a living salary.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
I bought three Pops from Orphan Black for my wife as a silly gift because she likes the show a lot. Best part is I got them for around 5 dollars each on ebay. I guess the bubble has burst.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That big spike is actually at $180k now, $195k if the ~standard bonus~ is included.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

not every lawyer/doctor gets to make fat stacks, even with a decade of seniority

Most doctors make fat stacks, while most lawyers do not.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 19, 2018

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

That big spike is actually at $180k now, $195k if the ~standard bonus~ is included.

What is the spike though? Have law firms all just agreed what their starting price for people from the top schools is going to be?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

IIRC, that's more or less right. The big law firms will have the same or very similar salaries, because if one of them steps up to, say, $190k for first-year associates, their competitors are going to do the same or risk losing best talent and/or existing associates jump ship. It's not like a paper agreement, just that they know they have to match each other relatively closely, and those salaries are generally announced so it's fairly transparent to associates and applicants.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Xenoborg posted:

What is the spike though? Have law firms all just agreed what their starting price for people from the top schools is going to be?

Yes. The big consulting companies also have almost-identical salary progression for fresh-out college grads.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Nocheez posted:

This was already posted, I don't know why the image was linked instead of having img tags but whatever.

Was the collection posted? Seems pretty crazy moreso on the hoarding side than bwm. BWM for sure, but thats a lot of flammable plastics

https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 19, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Risky Bisquick posted:

Was the collection posted? Seems pretty crazy moreso on the hoarding side than bwm. BWM for sure, but thats a lot of flammable plastics

https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

Jesus what a terrible shrine to poor impulse control and lovely, consumer behavior.

The thing about these little plastic figurines is that they're actually of relatively poor quality. When you look at them closely, the paint is badly done in places and a lot of times the injection molding isn't especially crisp, so you're pretty much paying for the license and the manufacturer's markup. When you then take that $10 retail and make it 2, 4, 10, or 100x that price, you loudly announce to the world that you're a loving rube and don't deserve the dollars your privilege and sheltered middle class existence afford you.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7fajky/is_80_salary_reduction_going_from_125k_to_24k/
Is 80% salary reduction, going from $125k to $24k annually good cause to quit and collect unemployment insurance in Nevada?

quote:

I posted this on /r/legaladvice but only got one response so I'd thought I'd check in here. I'm a software engineer with 10 years of experience and had a salary of $125,000. The business I'm working at has been having cash flow issues. On 11/22 I was notified starting 11/23 that my pay has been temporarily reduced to $24,000 a year salary due to business reasons beyond my control. Would this qualify as constructive dismissal for unemployment insurance purposes? If I quit, would it qualify as "good cause" for unemployment insurance?

In Nevada, being on unemployment insurance requires you to not refuse suitable work. Currently, the job at my employer wouldn't be suitable under their terms. They define a suitable job offer as:

A person must accept an offer of suitable employment when made and must go on referrals to suitable work as directed by this Division. Suitable work is defined as work which the individual customarily performs and that pays the prevailing (average) wage for that type of work in the area that the work is being performed.

According to Glassdoor's "know your worth" I should be pulling $135,000 in Nevada, making me $10k originally underpaid. Looking at Glassdoor salaries/job postings, I can easily pull $100k+ at another job. I definitely would argue that this job has no longer became suitable work.

While I'm lining up my next job I'd like to quit and collect UI instead of working 40 hours a week. I'd get 408 a week on unemployment while working is $461/week. It's worth the marginal $53/hour to me to job hunt full time.

Does anyone know if there are any guidelines for "good cause" for unemployment in Nevada? Would my situation qualify as "good cause?"

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5atip5/whats_the_most_sensible_way_to_save_for_my/

What's the most sensible way to save for my attainable dream car?

quote:

I'm a fresh grad, my take home each month after taxes is around 2400. I have around 10k saved up in a regular savings account, however I'm going to probably invest it into a mutual fund soon.

I have no debt, my fixed expenses are phone bill at $75 a month and $24 for gym membership. I spend around $400 a month on food and entertainment.

My cost of ownership would be $2700 for insurance each year (will decrease once I'm 25 in 2017), $75 for parking spot each month, and at most $200 a month a gas (not sure about this amount)

The finest example of the car I want is $27000 after taxes. What would be the best approach to obtaining this car? Should I take a car loan? Or should I work a little longer a build a larger base to invest then take a car loan? Save 27k and then dump it into the car? The car is reaching "collectible" status and paying a bit more for a clean example would probably yield lesser losses when I choose to sell and may even increase in value. Total speculation here, I am not expecting to make money on buying a car, just saying depreciation would be minimal compared to other cars. The car will primarily be driven on weekends and nice days, I have a company car for everyday use.

I know making money isn't easy and I'm not opposed to scraping the idea of buying a car and saving to invest in property or investing in diversified mutual funds. Would just like to find out the pros and cons of everything.

I believe that there should be balance in life. To spend money on things you enjoy such as your dream car or whatever floats your boat. However, it seems as though I'm still maybe a year or two from being ready to comfortably afford this car.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/39iqvn/have_17500_to_invest_and_am_unsure_of_what_to/

Have $17,500 to invest and am unsure of what to invest in... But I was thinking cardboard.

quote:

Hey all. I have 17,500 to invest and in doing research on the matter I have found that a few things are true:

Investment opportunities feel overwhelming
I Dont feel like I have the time to invest in research neccesary to make smart enough decisions
The one thing I have a great amount of knowledge in is magic the gathering cards and I've watched cards become 8x more valuable or more in the past six years.
Honestly I am hesitant to invest in something like MTG but I already own a collection worth $10,000 and I only spent $4,000 on it and the rest of the value came from speculation so I know I can do it but should I?

Has anyone else here put money on collectibles like magic and found success?

BWM: I Dont feel like I have the time to invest in research neccesary to make smart enough decisions

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2018

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5oea8t/need_advice_on_collectable_figurines/
Need Advice on Collectable Figurines

quote:

My wife and I collected approximately 1000 Precious Moments figurines back in the 1980s thinking that they would increase in value. However, as it turns out over the years they have saturated the market with these figurines making most of them worth less than what we paid for them. Does anyone know the best way for me to sell them? I would like to sell the entire set if at all possible. We have all of the original boxes and all are in excellent condition. Thanks for your help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/463s48/furniture_as_investment_via_quality_antiques_or/
Furniture as investment via quality antiques or collectibles?

quote:

I need to furnish my kitchen, living room and bedroom and have been scouting furniture shops, estate sales and Craigslist. I'm focusing on solid-wood used pieces over Ikea-type furniture in order to minimize depreciation and total cost of ownership. I grew up with antiques so I'm not squeamish about buying used. Part of me would like to keep costs very low by buying dependable but unremarkable used furniture (excluding mattress, I could do this for $1k to $1.5k)...

...however, I've been spoiled by seeing some very nice furniture and I now appreciate the difference between "gets the job done" rooms and "wow" rooms. Now I'm inspired to be smart with my money and have a really nice space.

I'm wondering whether it's possible to make money by buying certain quality pieces that will appreciate in value over time. For example, mid-century modern is huge right now, and I'm wondering whether such pieces might not only hold their value but appreciate over time. The catch of course is whether something used daily could possibly appreciate in value.

Has anyone approached daily-use furniture as an investment? FWIW, I'd like to keep my total cost to between $5k and $10k.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

EDIT: following /u/whiteraven4's comment, here's my question stated more precisely:

How could one approach furniture acquisition to maximize the odds that the pieces will appreciate in value?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7ni1ve/i_need_to_make_2000_in_6_months_with_some/
I need to make $2000 in 6 months (with some relatively significant restrictions). What should I do?

quote:

For reasons that I’d prefer not to discuss, I need to make $2000 in 6 months. The easy solution would be to get a job, but there are a few factors at play that make doing so quite difficult, if not impossible.

My parents are likely to take any money that I earn out of my bank account, and I don’t have the means or support system to become an independent (I just turned 17 years old). In addition to prohibiting me from getting a job, they have disallowed me from learning how to drive. That said, the car issue isn’t too dire because we only have only have one car that I could use, and I doubt that my parents would let me drive the only available car even if I did have a permit.

Here’s part of my plan. Forgive me if I’m vague with a few details; I wish not to reveal my identity:

Completing online surveys. If I spend 2 hours each day completing surveys, I will make about $3.50 a day, which comes out to $600 in 6 months.

Refereeing at tournaments. I’ve signed up to become a licensed referee in a sport I play, and I should be able to referee at tournaments by the end of January. I may be able to count on a few friends to drive me to a tournament every other weekend to referee; my estimation is that I will be able to referee 10 tournaments by the end of 6 months. Despite being niche, the national organization that oversees such events recommends $30 for a full-day tournament. This comes out to an optimistic estimate of $300 in 6 months. I want my use of transportation by friends to be limited.

Bitcoin savings. I put $50 into Bitcoin a long time ago, and it’s worth $175 now. Bitcoin transaction fees are high right now, so I think I could get $150 if I liquidate my holdings.

These plans are likely to be realized, so that’s $1050 out of $2000. Now I need $950.

Here are some ideas I had:

If I were very very persuasive, I could possibly get my parents to allow me to work a full day on one day of the week for 6 months (is there any job where such a schedule structure can exist?). $7.25/hr at 7 hours a day would mean I’d hit my target after 19 weeks. That sounds grueling, but it’d be worth it. But to be honest, there’s the high probability of them taking my money, so this won’t work.

I could go door-to-door asking people to do jobs for them, but I’m a black male in a close-knit Indian community. Considering that people on my own street give me looks and ask me if I’m lost, I doubt they'd want to hire me to do anything within three yards of their homes. So this doesn't seem promising.

I could do a math homework completion service where students can send me their math worksheets/problem sets and get answers at cheap prices. However, I don't know where to advertise for such a thing. I posted to Craigslist (which I didn't like to begin with, since it's limited by location), but it got flagged and taken down. Since my prices would be cheap, I'd need high customer volume and/or frequency. But without a good platform, I don't know how I can get either of these (that is, volume and frequency). The idea seems promising to me, but I don't know how to properly advertise it.

What else can I do? Please be reasonable.

Questions you might have:
Are you in mortal danger? No, and I’m not in a medical/legal/gambling/etc rut either.

You could probably report your parents for something like this. This is not an option.

Could you persuade them to be less anal? I’ve tried and concluded that this will not be possible.

Things I can't do:
Craigslist. Overrun with scams, assuming there are even any gigs in your area.

Rev.com. The marketing is good, but the reviews are terrible. It seems to be a lot of work, and even then you can get turned away without warning. I've read threads mentioning how people with Bachelors degrees in English get regularly turned down.

Pet walking/sitting. I'm allergic to cats and dogs. But if you could hook me up with someone who needs their goldfish taken care of, I'd be willing to do that.

Flipping clothes. When you start flipping, you typically start at a loss. I don't want to lose money from the get-go and then find out that I'm not good at flipping. Additionally, thrift shops have mostly figured out how to do this themselves. Goodwill has an e-commerce department that deals in high end collectibles, so the good items are probably poached before you enter the store.

Tutoring. It's not really that I'm opposed to tutoring. It's more that I'm not sure I'm a good teacher, and I know I will feel bad if a struggling student continues to pay me money to get better but doesn't improve. I'm pretty good at math up to Calculus III, but it's much easier to answer questions yourself than it is to explain to someone else how to answer them (especially when you have intuition about concepts that are hard to explain).

Thanks for your time. Also, if there’s a better subreddit to post this in, please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Fake antiques is a huge industry that preys on idiots.