Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What kind of person hoards beer to the point of their cellar overflowing with it??? I buy local craft beer here and there and I love drinking it, but uh, I didn't know people existed who collected and stockpiled beer or something??? I guess maybe if they're obsessed with brewing beer then okay but they just buy it? I am so confused.

Yeah, I was baffled by this one - it took me a while to realize they were going out and buying beer to hoard, not brewing their own, which seems really loving dumb. There are some beers that are intended to be aged but mostly if you let beer sit it'll either skunk or the hops will lose potency, not to mention most beers are better on tap at the brewery anyway. Wine or whisky are probably better choices if you have an urge to stockpile poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

girl pants posted:

Boyfriend of 1 year (24m) constantly makes fun of me (20f) for enjoying 'mainstream' movies, tv shows, fantasy books and collecting figurine and so on, I've started finding it hard to enjoy these things without feeling very immature and silly, advice?

~*when a goon dates a redditor*~

Anyone that has a room dedicated to their "geek love" probably needs to tone it down a bit, but she's freaking 20 and her boyfriend is a pompous douche so she just needs to dump his rear end. Don't date assholes that constantly poo poo on your interests.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

in a best case scenario those two could balance each other out, she making him less of a loud judgey prick and alienating a loved one and he making her have better taste than loving jurassic world and agents of shield

instead, reality.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [17F] brother [25M] is uninviting my brother [15M] to his wedding because my brother is dating a girl who looks goth. My parents are telling me to fix the relationship

quote:

I want to state off by saying this girl is not goth, she just likes the color black. My brother and sister 14F have backed up this claim anyway. I am sorry if this comes off as messy, I am home sick from school and I am kinda tired.

A little about my brother, he is Catholic. He met his wife and she is a very religious person. Her house could pass for a mini cathedral it has that many religious equipment in there. So my brother has taking up religion and we are a family that is indifferent to god/religion. We don't hate it, we don't love it, it's just a thing that is there that we don't really care about. My brother is the only one who is religious and he is getting married to this girl.

This change in attitude really happened when he move to California and then came back to Michigan.

My little brother Silver is dating this girl Susan. Susan is really pretty girl and she is lovely. My sister and I love her, she looks after our brother. My brother Josh (25M) and his wife (24F) are convinced she is goth. When they met her she said black lip stick and she was wearing black clothes.

My brother and his wife think that goth goes against god. Despite us telling them she is not goth they think we are protecting our little brother. They think those who date a goth is going against god, again she is not goth. He has uninvited him to the wedding.

My little sister [14F] is standing by his side and saying if he does not go, she's not going. Susan and my little sister and brother are going out on the day of the wedding. My parents are telling me to fix this and I don't know how too.

tl;dr: Brother has lost it and is not inviting brother to wedding

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

wow bobby, i didn't think your new girlfriend would be so aheh, "morbid". (locks up good china to prevent getting spiders on them)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

My [17F] brother [25M] is uninviting my brother [15M] to his wedding because my brother is dating a girl who looks goth. My parents are telling me to fix the relationship

Your brother is a lost cause and dont worry about him losing family when you sever, he and his 8 children will be more than enough for him.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Haifisch posted:

The Addams family would never disinvite you from the wedding because you wear polos, Clevin.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I [26/M] don't like my girlfriend of 6 months' [27/F] name

quote:

This post is going to come off as really shallow and lovely, and I just want to say that I don't plan on breaking up with her. I just need to know how I can warm up to it or get more acquainted with the name. I want this to work, and I don't like to wince every time my girlfriend's name is used.

My girlfriend of 6 months is named Zelda. Both her parents were huge literary geeks, and her mom had a particular interest in the life of Zelda Fitzgerald, and to a lesser extent, her husband F. Scott Fitzgerald. The name means a lot to her because her mom passed when she was 10 and she felt very in touch with her because of the name. I met Zelda at a convention related to our work, and we hit it off right away. I thought the name would grow on me. We have so much in common. We both love our work, have interests in math and science, enjoy learning, love to read, love the same drinks, the same foods. And, we have our lively debates which I really appreciate. She likes to challenge me everyday, and I value that a lot. I can see myself spending the rest of my life with her. We both want to be married and have 2 kids, both want to live in a nice house in the suburbs, both want a nice big yard, both want a cat and a dog. We're compatible in all the best ways, and where we disagree, we like to turn it into a nice and spirited debate, but still respect each other.

I love her. I just can't get over her name. I call her pet names and weird nicknames all the time, because I just feel so weird calling her Zelda. It reminds me of Legend of Zelda, and I don't like the games, and my first thought is always "who names their kid after a video game?" But then I have to remind myself that it's not after a video game, it's after a great author and I just need to get over it. But I can't. I hate the name! It just feels so wrong to me, and I want to like it, I think it's a beautiful story and I'm glad it connects her so deeply to her mother, but I don't know how. Any tips on how to get past this? I know I sound super shallow and awful, but it's just one of those things. Like how some people hear names like Nevaeh and just hate them? This is my Nevaeh. This is the hill that I don't want to die on.

TL;DR: My girlfriend's name is Zelda, and I can't stand it. I need help learning to love it, because I love her.
Good job mom.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Palpek posted:

I [26/M] don't like my girlfriend of 6 months' [27/F] name

Good job mom.
Try to remind yourself that Zelda was an actual name long before LoZ happened, imo. Like yeah it's weird as a modern name but at least it's not Renesme.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was one of the Sabrina aunts too, right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

call her by her actual name: link

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What kind of idiot doesn't like Zelda games anyway? Bet he owns an X Box One X exclusively

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

call her by her actual name: Sheik

Brother Entropy posted:

Someone whose parents bought them wand of gamelon on discount instead of a n64

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Zelda is a really pretty, classic name. What a weirdo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gently caress, pretend i said tetra

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Zelda is a really pretty, classic name. What a weirdo.

My parents were weirdos so I kept waiting for Zelda to be time displaced or at least reference the 1920s

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Brother Entropy posted:

gently caress, pretend i said tetra
Tetra's the best Zelda anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Tetra's the best Zelda anyway.

I [135M] keep having relationship problems because I coveted that wind. Need advice

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I have a great aunt Zelda, maybe it's one of those names that will come back in style for reasons other than a video game.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Imagine being expected to moan "Zelda" in bed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dienes posted:

I can only orgasm if my partner sings "Zelda" to the tune of "Sega" from the Mega Drive.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dienes posted:

at least she's not named epona

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haifisch posted:

Anyone wearing too much black is clearly some sort of satanist. Historically the catholic church has always had a violent aversion to black clothing of any sort.

Also what does goth even mean? Gothic? That sounds very un-catholic!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Zelda is a pretty name, in my opinion.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Pounding my girlfriend to the rhytm of Saria's Song.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
A few years back I met a girl named Mileena, after the nice Mortal Kombat lady with the messed-up face. She did not have a good relationship with her parents. That's my video game names story.

Edit: content

quote:

Should I [19F] end things with my [23M] boyfriend because my mother is an undocumented immigrant?

I've been with my boyfriend for a little over a year. Tonight, after I watched a video of a Border Patrol destroying supplies left for migrants in the desert along the border, I was saddened and needed someone to vent to. My mother is an undocumented immigrant. I struggle daily knowing that she can be taken from me at any time and deported to a country she has never lived in.

I decided to text my boyfriend and rant to him about my beliefs towards immigration. Things were fine, until he referred to my mother as an "illegal". I told him a better term would be undocumented immigrant, or undocumented American. I told him it was a little offensive to me and that I'd prefer he not use that term anymore. He started explain why the term isn't offensive, and I kindly told him that yes, to a vast majority of people the term isn't offensive, but to me it was, and maybe he could not use that term towards my mother.

Things began getting a little more heated after that. I told him I struggle every day because of, what I feel is, an unjust immigration system. He said that I don't struggle with it, my mother does, because I actually am a citizen. I told him I struggle nonetheless, having to constantly worry about my 55 year old mother, who is ill and needs someone to support her, being deported to a country she hasn't lived in, by herself. As someone who lives on the border of Mexico, I know firsthand how dangerous that country can be. I've had close friends killed there after just visiting. I even knew an entire family murdered by the cartels for no reason at all. I told him that if my mother had to leave the country, I would go with her.

My boyfriend said I shouldn't have to leave, that I can survive without her. I explained that no, I couldn't survive knowing my mother is in another country, alone, with no home or aid of any kind. I asked if he could now see why I am affected and struggle because of the immigration system.

He said yes, but that I need to be willing to expand my mind and see the other side, the other viewpoint, which would be that although my mother has been a law-abiding citizen and has payed taxes, if she was deported it would be "just" because that is the law.

And so after much unnecessary debate, we were both really upset and frustrated with each other. I asked what the point was, and why he felt the need to debate with me on this matter. He said he just wanted to show me that "not everyone shares the same views" as me. But, that he still was on my side. I told him I didn't think there was a need for him to debate with me on the subject then.

Well, at this point we are both very frustrated and upset. I asked if him trying to debate with me was him just wanting to be against me. He starts to tell me goodnight, that he's done and doesn't want to talk anymore, and that he'd text me in the morning. I felt like we wasted so much time arguing, all because he just felt like debating me on a subject that is extremely touchy for me. I told him to not bother texting me at all, which in hindsight was a little bit of an overreaction, but he truly hurt me by what he'd been saying. He just said "Okay :-/"

I was completely taken aback by his response. Our relationship isn't perfect, but I thought we were doing very well for a couple our age. We had plans to move to another city together (we are currently in a long distance relationship) within the month!

So I tell him fine, if he wants to give up so easily, so be it, but if he wanted to work things out at some point, I would want an apology. He said he couldn't believe I would leave him "in a heartbeat". I told him that my personal matters aren't up for debate, and that I was uninterested in what the "other side" believes in. He said it shouldn't matter that he wanted to debate because in the end, he was on "my side". I told him that there was no need, and that he should know this matter really hurts me.

He then said," Why am I working so hard to get us an apartment together if you'd leave if your mom got deported????" He said he was getting hurt too. But what he had just said left me in shock. I told him to find someone else to date, someone with documented parents. I told him that if he loved me, he wouldn't have started this "debate" to begin with.

Am I in the wrong? He ended up just going to bed, leaving our argument unresolved and our relationship status up in the air. I don't know if I can be with someone who argued with me for hours on a subject I hate talking about, for absolutely no reason. I was extremely hurt by him asking why we should even move in together. I don't know what to do at all. Should we really break up over this?

tl;dr: My boyfriend had an unnecessary, uncalled for "debate" about my mother's legal status, and questioned our relationship status, leaving us both unsure if our relationship should go any further.

edit: spelling

UPDATE: I have received some very insightful, meaningful advice from a lot of you and I thank you for that. But I’ve also been receiving threatening PMs because of the political aspect of this post and will be deleting this. Thank you all

I don't understand why you're worried about your sick mother being deported :confused:

nerd plus rage fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 20, 2018

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Just call her "Z" and loving get over it.

My last 3 boyfriends were named Mike and I didn't throw a fit about it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nerd plus rage posted:

A few years back I met a girl named Mileena, after the nice Mortal Kombat lady with the messed-up face. She did not have a good relationship with her parents. That's my video game names story.

I don't understand why you're worried about your sick mother being deported :confused:

Burn that motherfucker to the ground along with everyone who decided to threaten her because MURRICAN POLITICS. gently caress em all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

nerd plus rage posted:

Boyfriend planning to anonymously report mother as soon as girlfriend moves in with him?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My [24F] boyfriend [23M] has not been able to move his hand for god knows how long while I was away and refuses to go see a doctor because his mother made him deathly afraid of them.

quote:

I returned home from work 2 days ago and almost instantly new something was up when I met my boyfriend at the airport. Coop (BF) and his friend Jude were there. Jude drove Coop to the Airport to pick me up. Coop's excuse was his car broke down which it did.

I noticed in the car Coop's hand was all bandaged up. I asked him what happened to his hand, and he told me that the hood of his car slammed down on it but he's fine. When we got home Jude pulled me to the side and told me Coop is not fine. He told me Coop can't move it at all and it's a problem.

Coop doesn't like doctors. He looks at Doctors and Nurses like they're the Grimm Reaper or something. His mom was a cow and made him deathly afraid of doctors, hospitals, nurses, dentists.

When I got inside I told Coop to give me his hand. He refused at first but he eventually showed it to me. He can't move the thing at all. He is refusing to go to the doctor saying it's just a sprain.

tl;dr: Boyfriend is refusing to go to the doctor, please help me get him to go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My [24F] boyfriend [23M] has not been able to move his hand for god knows how long while I was away and refuses to go see a doctor because his mother made him deathly afraid of them.

They're a bunch of butchers who'll just try to milk you for all you're worth. He should definitely steer clear of all that bull.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'll sell him some essential oils! :downs:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

Burn that motherfucker to the ground along with everyone who decided to threaten her because MURRICAN POLITICS. gently caress em all.
Did you even read the post? It's the most entitled, dramatic garbage I've been subjected to today, and my reddit account got spammed by bitcoin true believers because I called them the beanie babies of the 2010s.

Her boyfriend was on her side. They argued about the semantics of calling someone illegal vs undocumented, and she even admitted most people who are illegal aren't offended by the term.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 20, 2018

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have an aunt and uncle, and a few years back the uncle started losing weight pretty rapidly. Couldn't eat, couldn't keep food down. Lost maybe 15 pounds in a month? I dunno, but it was drastic and he refused to seek treatment. At the one month point my aunt told him that she was not going to watch her husband potentially die and that she would divorce him if he didn't schedule an appointment immediately. Which is 100% fair, your partner is basically checking out of the marriage if they refuse to do the bare minimum of not trying to die.

It worked and it was just some bad stomach bug he had contracted. Don't stay with someone who won't take care of themselves.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
It's a dehumanizing, dog whistle racist term and when someone tells you "don't use that borderline-slur to describe my ill mother" it's totally not your rhetorical responsibility to go "well some people don't mind it so why do you" and in fact you should probably just shut the gently caress up before you sidestep into a "well my black friends let me call them the n word so" debate which this is one step removed from, you stupid ignorant gently caress

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

I'll sell him some essential oils! :downs:

TIME TO GET OILY

(I can't believe actual essential-oil sellers use the phrase "time to get oily" in all earnestness. We live in the most ridiculous timeline.)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It’s kind of lovely getting into an argument about a very sensitive and emotional topic with your SO just to “prove a point” or whatever.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I told him not to text me and he said "okay :-/", I am upset he gave up so easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It’s kind of lovely getting into an argument about a very sensitive and emotional topic with your SO just to “prove a point” or whatever.

It's also kinda lovely to say you bail in a heartbeat over a situation neither of you have control over I guess. I mean I understand her being upset about the argument but the way she handled the aftermath makes me not really like her either.