Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

how do you not post at least link to the example picture she mentioned, c'mon now

it wasn't actually there sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Feels like he could've figured this out by talking to his wife? Like "you are different and I think you might have a mental disorder?"
It's not like she was hiding her symptoms, just how deep they went

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Folks are here to inform you that all snooping is bad, redux # 5037

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Another one from the old thread, not funny but quite dark despite there not really being any villains. Tearing up a little.

I (36M) snooped and found out that my wife (33F) of three years has been living some kind of sad double life and is not who I thought she was.

:smith:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Feels like he could've figured this out by talking to his wife? Like "you are different and I think you might have a mental disorder?"

She kept not talking to him at all, though. I don't know, it's really messed up. I hope somehow she got the help she needed.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Well, he said she refused to talk about her opinions or feelings beyond one word answers, so I’m not really sure if that would really do much. This guy’s best bet is probably talking with her parents, since it sounds like they’ve realized something is up too, and working out the best way to get her some help. This one was pretty depressing to read.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

therobit posted:

I don't think she could have, honestly. Never give in to tantrums. Child psychologists say you should ignore them when they throw tantrums.

That's exactly what I said to do?

Well, you ignore tantrums when the tantrums are for something like wanting a specific item or activity. Mom kinda exacerbated the situation by doing the "If you keep that up you'll lose X too" - because that's just going to piss them off more, not quell the tantrum. Which is exactly what happened. Just say no to the toy, ignore the whining and stomping, and tell the mom and sister to shut up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I’m [15 M] saving up for a drum kit, but my mom [39 F] will kill me if she finds out.

quote:

I’m 15 years old, and I’m the least favorite son. I am the middle of three kids, and the only one with a different dad. My mom and siblings dad broke up and she got pregnant with me, then she and my dad split and she got back with their dad. She always makes this known and says she shouldn’t have had me.

I always am made out to be a really bad kid. If I get anything less than A’s she freaks out, but my older brother can get D’s and it’s a celebration that he didn’t flunk. Every time I try to go to a concert she tells me I can’t, or that I dream about meeting my favorite band she says they wouldn’t like me anyway.

My dad committed suicide three years ago, and my inheritance went into a trust fund I can’t have til I’m 18... so, we have very little money. Or at least little money for me. She always says my dad was a coward and other mean stuff about his suicide. He killed himself over her!

I really want to start playing drums, and so I’ve been doing odd jobs for friends parents and making some money that I have hidden. I want to play because he played, but she keeps saying that I’ll “probably suck like him anyway.” Other people have told me he was really good. If I buy a kit, she’ll know I’ve been working for people and hiding money and freaking out, but I know I’m supposed to play. I almost have enough money for my dream kit. What should I do?

Tl;dr I want to play drums to honor my dad, but if my mom figures out I’ve been hiding money I earned she’ll freak. What should I do?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Haifisch posted:

I’m [15 M] saving up for a drum kit, but my mom [39 F] will kill me if she finds out.

The drums are the least of his problems. Poor kid.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Haifisch posted:

I'm still going to offer "buy an electronic kit, wear headphones" as the solution, however, I'd like to add a "Yikes" to the backstory

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

ArbitraryC posted:

it wasn't actually there sorry

cheers no worries :)

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Haifisch posted:

Based on that title I thought it’d be funny, but yeesh. Poor kid. Seems like he’d be better off using that money to take up drum lessons at a place for a bit before jumping right into buying a kit straight up. At least the mom wouldn’t be able to get rid of his drum lessons.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Dienes posted:

That's exactly what I said to do?

Well, you ignore tantrums when the tantrums are for something like wanting a specific item or activity. Mom kinda exacerbated the situation by doing the "If you keep that up you'll lose X too" - because that's just going to piss them off more, not quell the tantrum. Which is exactly what happened. Just say no to the toy, ignore the whining and stomping, and tell the mom and sister to shut up.

I dunno it seems reasonable to me, when my brother or I threw tantrums in public my mom would give us a warning about not only not getting the thing we wanted but losing other stuff, needless to say we stopped.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I was hoping to find a story about Tide pod eating but instead I found this

My [27m] girlfriend [26f] is an Extreme Couponer and it's driving me up the wall. Help!

quote:

u/couponcarl

I don't even know how to begin describing my problem so I'll give a little backstory. My girlfriend Jodie and I met in college, and we got serious so we moved in together after graduation. I really love her, she's smart and funny and beautiful and practical. She had a tough time growing up because her family was living below the poverty line, so she's extremely frugal and careful with her money. This is a blessing for me because my ex-girlfriend (the one before her) spent money like it was going to rot. Jodie takes care of our finances and keeps me up to date on what's going on and how we're doing.

I feel stupid for even 'complaining' about this because my buddies say Jodie is a great girl with a sensible head on her shoulders, while they're having horrible fights or relationship problems with their own girlfriends that involve cheating, finances, and what have you. I don't have that problem with Jodie. In fact, she is so far the opposite way because she excessively clips coupons.

I think her mom used to do it when she was a kid, and now Jodie has turned it into an art form. She spends a few hours a day sorting out her coupons, or looking online for them. She makes her co-workers mad by hogging the printer sometimes. Every weekend, she will make me go with her and we'll get a truckload of toothpaste or toilet paper or whatever is on sale. Our apartment looks like a Costco supply warehouse because she just stocks up like crazy. It's gotten so bad that some cashiers will quickly close their till when they see Jodie heading for the checkout with a gleam in her eye. God knows I love Jodie, but she's on a mission when she goes shopping with coupons and I'm little more than her sidekick Trolley Boy.

I admit it does save both of us a lot of money, and the few times I brought it up, Jodie says she's doing this for our future. The money saved on groceries goes into a down payment for our future house, she says. Never mind that the bathroom is stuffed floor to ceiling with tampons, or that I go to sleep surrounded by boxes of Lucky Charms. I've tried to put up with it as long as I could, but it was my birthday a few days ago, and I had mentioned I needed to top up my shaving cream, and Jodie went and got me 42 cans (it was free with coupons). She was puzzled when I was less than thrilled and said that she had been 'saving' them for this occasion. I tried telling her that I would have much preferred doing something together, or even just having her make dinner for both of us, but she got upset I didn't appreciate her 'gift' and we didn't talk for a while.

I don't know what to do and when I see the show Extreme Couponers on TLC and see the long-suffering husbands on there with the thousand-yard stare, I'm always afraid that would be me one day and eventually I will be found dead in our apartment crushed under a mountain of cat food. My family and buddies are saying I'm making too big a deal out of nothing and that I should be grateful Jodie is good with money, but hot drat I just want to go to the store sometimes and not have the cashiers fleeing every time I head towards the counter. How do I approach the topic with Jodie?

TL;DR; My girlfriend is the couponing queen and her life revolves around it. I'm sick of the lifestyle and feeling like we're stocking up for the Apocalypse. Please help me with a way to tell her we don't need 26 bottles of Tide in one sitting.

Edit: Thanks for the replies everyone, there is a lot of useful advice for me to look through and consider. Mostly I'm on board with donating half of our haul so at least I can stop walking sideways like a crab to make my way to the bathroom. Then we'll have a good talk soon for a long-term solution. I have to leave for my afternoon shift and won't be able to reply for a long while, but thank you everyone for your input.

Who the hell thinks that buying 42 cans of shaving cream is being "good with money"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

girl pants posted:

My [27m] girlfriend [26f] is an Extreme Couponer and it's driving me up the wall. Help!

Who the hell thinks that buying 42 cans of shaving cream is being "good with money"

It's the tragedy of women who are good at math but were told in school "girls can't do math" so now they torture themselves and others with coupons instead of becoming CPAs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I'm 99% sure extreme couponing is just another expression of hoarding disorders. Nobody sane would tolerate 42 cans of shaving cream or a bathroom stacked floor to ceiling with tampon boxes, even if they did save 2 cents a unit.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Pick posted:

It's the tragedy of women who are good at math but were told in school "girls can't do math" so now they torture themselves and others with coupons instead of becoming CPAs.

In the sense that she's reenacting those story problems where somebody buys 42 oranges and 54 apples...?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

girl pants posted:

In the sense that she's reenacting those story problems where somebody buys 42 oranges and 54 apples...?

The IRS took 40 pies! That's four tens! :argh:

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Pick posted:

The IRS took 40 pies! That's four tens! :argh:

And that's terrible!

Me [34 F] with my SO [39 M], 1.5 years, dead deer in our yard, kayaking and an elephant in the room.

quote:

u/Chorechucker

Good day, r/relationships,

I moved states to be with my SO at the beginning of 2015. Big move, leaving all my friends, my family, my job and my hobbies behind.

My concern is that my SO constantly says he will do things and then doesn't follow through. Big things (I want to learn French! I want to go to the gym everyday), little things (I will clean up the dead deer in our shed, I will wake up tomorrow at 630am), all things. When my SO says these things (We will go kayaking tomorrow!), I've started rolling my eyes and expected him to drop the ball. Not a good feeling.

This post was provoked by an incident this weekend, some background. My SO is a teacher, he is teaching a new grade this year and has been 'survival teaching' for the last week. He has been so stressed that he has been taking 2-3 Ativan a day. This weekend was going to be a weekend to work on school, get his semester planned, etc...

We went out friday night to a friends moving away party, I had to work early Sat so went home early. He stayed and got blotto - peed off our friends patio, has no idea how he paid the cab driver. Saturday was a write off for him, he was still in bed when i got home from work @ 8pm. No schoolwork done, his biggest achievement for the day was walking the dog.

We had plans to go kayaking Sunday, i was really really looking forward to this, as I've wanted to go since I moved here. There is no way we can go now. He is still sleeping as of 1030am and I know he has a ton of school stuff to do.

Last night we had an argument about this, I told him I felt frustrated and hurt, he prioritized short term fun (drinking and drumming) over his responsabilites to his career and to our plans. He agreed he should have come home with me but didnt agree with my point about choosing drinking over kayaking/school. The argument got heated and he left the room and slept on the couch.

This morning I realized this is his pattern, short term fun over responsabilities or long term plans. Its happened over and over and over in our relationship, often with alcohol involvement, and I've started to lose respect and attraction for him.

I'm not sure what to do r/relationships, i do love parts of this man, he's kind and loving and funny and positive. But I want to be inspired by my partner, I want to respect him. I want to be in a relationship thats building something amazing, not one where i feel like his mom. I want to be with a partner that cleans up the dead deer in the shed when they say they will, and doesnt leave it rotting for almost 3 weeks (yes i offered to help).

How do talk about this with him? How do I discuss these horrible, hurtful feelings productively? How do I know if I should end our relationship?

tldr Uninspired and struggling with respecting my SO, how do i talk about this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

i just learned that there's an actual use for gateaux derivatives, in pealmutter's autodiff poo poo
lol at thinking what cpa's do is math

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

He said they were "free" so sounds like she managed to stack coupons and sales such that she just went to the store and dumped whatever inventory they had out into her cart.

I mean I dunno what you're gonna do with 42 cans of shaving cream but it sounds like his issue isn't money but rather the time/space they have to devote to her hobby.

as an aside I never really understand how couponers pull it off. I shop mostly seasonally/based on what's on sale and my grocery bill is consistently p low but I've never seen a sale that didn't also specify directly that it didn't work with other sales. Like the absolute best I've seen is picking up meat that's on sale that week + a discount from it being close to the sell-by date, can get some dirt cheap steaks or w/e if you shop at lunch and cook em for dinner, but I've never seen coupons that stack with store sales.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

PetraCore posted:

If she really cared about him she wouldn't take him for everything he's got when they get divorced, though.

This is what I was thinking too. Even if she realized she's gay, that doesn't mean she doesn't care for her husband. Hell, she may feel bad for him. I can't say for sure because I'm not in the situation but I think if I came out as gay, I'd probably try to make sure my wife gets whatever the hell she wants out of our marriage/divorce.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

ArbitraryC posted:

as an aside I never really understand how couponers pull it off. I shop mostly seasonally/based on what's on sale and my grocery bill is consistently p low but I've never seen a sale that didn't also specify directly that it didn't work with other sales. Like the absolute best I've seen is picking up meat that's on sale that week + a discount from it being close to the sell-by date, can get some dirt cheap steaks or w/e if you shop at lunch and cook em for dinner, but I've never seen coupons that stack with store sales.
iirc, most of those rules came into being because of extreme couponers. Most of what they do is based on exploiting the hell out of loopholes and ruining it for normal people.

I'm honestly surprised some of the grocery stores around here still do double coupon days, because those must get slammed with couponers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

girl pants posted:

Me [34 F] with my SO [39 M], 1.5 years, dead deer in our yard, kayaking and an elephant in the room.

I can't even think about the rest of the story; I just keep wondering about that dead deer in the shed. Why? How?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

girl pants posted:

I used to have a roommate that did similar things. As far as I could tell, she grew up pretty poor too, but a lot of her behavior struck me as more of an OCD or hoarding thing. Like buying a bunch of things in bulk even though there was no room to put them, keeping things way way past their expiration date that she had no intention of using but wanted to keep around "just in case". It was annoying, but I honestly felt kind of bad for her since it was clear this was probably some sort of anxiety thing. Thank god she was just my roommate though, I don't think I would be able to put up with this sort of thing from an SO.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I thiiiiink there are couponer communities where they swap stuff so that useless 42 cans of shaving cream is ideally spread out, but maybe I'm just making that up.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

He said they were "free" so sounds like she managed to stack coupons and sales such that she just went to the store and dumped whatever inventory they had out into her cart.

I mean I dunno what you're gonna do with 42 cans of shaving cream but it sounds like his issue isn't money but rather the time/space they have to devote to her hobby.

I don't think it's a Good With Money habit to spend hours every night racking up coupons so you can buy 42 cans of shaving cream you won't use, unless you're planning on reselling them and not hoarding them like a discount warehouse dragon.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

girl pants posted:

I don't think it's a Good With Money habit to spend hours every night racking up coupons so you can buy 42 cans of shaving cream you won't use, unless you're planning on reselling them and not hoarding them like a discount warehouse dragon.

they just need to set up a care package monthly service that follows the x-crate formula, 10 bucks to get a box full of shaving cream, tampons, and cereal shipped to your door.

e: and I more meant if she got em all for free with coupon wizardry, which is something some people can do, it's not a waste of money it's just a waste of time/space which is what the OP had a problem with

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ArbitraryC posted:

I think that sort of couponing is all non-perishables and household items. Like on Extreme Couponing, they have shelves top to bottom with dozens of jars of Ragu and noodles and dryer sheets. You can’t coupon like a hoarder on apples and chicken breasts.

If you enjoy eating Easy Mac three meals a day, then extreme couponing might be up your alley, friend!

E: I think a few of the coupon nuts are altruistic types and they’ll donate 40 of their 42 cans of shaving cream to homeless shelters or such.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 22, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only way it's "worth" it is if you're one of the people who immediately resells to Amazon, since that's an actual business if you know what you're doing.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Haifisch posted:

I'm 99% sure extreme couponing is just another expression of hoarding disorders. Nobody sane would tolerate 42 cans of shaving cream or a bathroom stacked floor to ceiling with tampon boxes, even if they did save 2 cents a unit.

He should bill her for the space those stupid loving cans of shaving cream take up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think that sort of couponing is all non-perishables and household items. Like on Extreme Couponing, they have shelves top to bottom with dozens of jars of Ragu and noodles and dryer sheets. You can’t coupon like a hoarder on apples and chicken breasts.

If you enjoy eating Easy Mac three meals a day, then extreme couponing might be up your alley, friend!

I guess that makes sense, I do that thing where you basically ignore the center of the market and only buy fresh stuff on a lap around the outside. You can still get some crazy good deals if you look for them, I remember getting a 5 pound chicken for a dollar, but even as someone who looks for sales/coupons they always always have small text that says they don't combo. Variety of stores too because my gf and I are the boring kind of people who just like hitting up various grocery stores on the weekend getting cheap produce for the next week.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You will rarely dramatically outperform buying opportunistically at scratch-n-dent foodstores, with periodic trips to a reasonable grocery for anything you need specifically. And certainly hard to beat for the time investment.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't think keylogging was too far but yeah, I gotta imagine the woman he loved is gone anyway. It's just really sad all around. No idea if there was ever any follow-up.

I feel like keylogging would normally be crazy but it depends on what you find. Sure, injecting your husband with a subdermal GPS tracker is assault but when it leads you to discovering his serial killer dungeon, it doesn't really matter.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pick posted:

You will rarely dramatically outperform buying opportunistically at scratch-n-dent foodstores, with periodic trips to a reasonable grocery for anything you need specifically. And certainly hard to beat for the time investment.
The gf and I just legit enjoy walking around a yokes or albertsons or w/e snagging random one day only sale items and cooking them that weekend. Costco/winco are 95% of our food budget but we check out weekly sales anyways for fun.

Which is why couponer stories always surprise me because I've spent years wasting time getting randomly good deals on stuff from all sorts of grocery stores but have consistently seen that sale's don't stack like the way they describe. They just don't let you combine those sorts of deals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why did you assume I was talking to you specifically

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: I think a few of the coupon nuts are altruistic types and they’ll donate 40 of their 42 cans of shaving cream to homeless shelters or such.

You can also write off those donations for the value of the item, not what you paid per se. So it's also a form of tax dodge if you want to go that way.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I just buy everything at Costco. I have enough toilet paper to last several months.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
costco is good for dairy and paper products but pretty meh if you eat mostly fresh poultry/pork/veggies/fruit.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Should we [20s, M/F] say something to our roommate about his eating habits? [20M]

quote:

u/oyasumipunpunch

I changed all names because abbreviations started to confuse me.

My boyfriend and his flatmates are all early 20s, college students. At the moment, I've been living with my boyfriend. One of his flatmates, Carl, really loves to cook. Last semester, it wasn't uncommon for him to spend a good few hours cooking up tacos, beef stew, homemade pasta sauce, etc.

Last week, Carl's roommate noticed a pill bottle on Carl's desk prescribed for multiple vitamin and calcium deficiencies. For the past few weeks, we have all noticed that Carl has stopped cooking. Instead, he's been eating purely Cheezits. Just today, he took 2 bags of Cheezits into his room, and when I asked, confirmed that that was his dinner.

This is already the second or third box of Cheezits he's purchased in the past two months. I'm talking big, bulk-size from Costco. This box is already half empty, and it was replaced only just this week.

Should we say something to Carl? He is never in the apart during the day, and is very introverted. When he comes back, he basically stays in his room all the time and only comes out to pour himself a cup of water, or to grab more bags of Cheezits. I'm not sure how to approach him on this subject, considering just saying "Hi, how was your day" is already super difficult. What should we do?

TL;DR: Found out that one of our flatmates has some form of nutrient deficiency, but not sure how to approach him about it.

I like Cheez Its but drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean the alternative is just to go out shopping with your parents every weekend and then they'll buy you all the groceries you want.