Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, that does seem like the sort of thing that mod would do. Not all of the selections are as good as "nice chunk of gel for gel purposes" or "I only need to kill 50 mummies at most for a megaphone" though.. Zombies get you a zombie arm, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
So I'm about to start a fresh co op expert run with a buddy, and we last played on whatever patch introduced hard mode, got to the robot skeleton but I don't think we ever beat it.

obviously there's a lot more now, and I think we're trying to mostly go in "blind" (not that we're ever afraid if looking up how to make stuff or what to do next, mostly just that we're not trying to minmax the gear tread and kind of fly by the seat of our pants as much as possible).

when we last played, one of went hard for magic, the other for ranged, and that seemed to work fine, but this time I'm thinking we'll both just kind of do everything, as long as that doesn't make the gear grind too tedious.

anyway, I was mostly wondering about what we should look to aim for early on, mostly with regards to stuff like getting a potion farm online and finding beehives (I've played since they were added but never got super far and have never found one), or any particular new stuff we should be looking out for early on that might be fun, etc.

it'll be a languid playthrough, lots of time for us to stop and smell the roses and have fun with random stuff, so yeah. anything in particular we should be looking out for?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I don't recommend playing Expert blind, for one thing. "not trying to minmax the gear tread and kind of fly by the seat of our pants " is not really what you want to be doing in Expert, everything is harder so you kinda need a good idea of what you're doing.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
that's fair, but the challenge is part of the appeal, it's not like we're gonna be wearing mismatched not full sets or anything as much as it's the kinda thing where there's no huge plan for looking up strategies and whatnot unless we hit a brick wall.

I know enough about the game that it's not gonna be a big deal I don't think (I've done expert solo through Wall of flesh), mostly I'm just trying to get a feel for if there's some random new early game boss or hidden poo poo we should be looking out for I guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hear what you're saying, and I'm telling you, Do Not Play Expert Mode.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

90s Shoes posted:

that's fair, but the challenge is part of the appeal, it's not like we're gonna be wearing mismatched not full sets or anything as much as it's the kinda thing where there's no huge plan for looking up strategies and whatnot unless we hit a brick wall.

I know enough about the game that it's not gonna be a big deal I don't think (I've done expert solo through Wall of flesh), mostly I'm just trying to get a feel for if there's some random new early game boss or hidden poo poo we should be looking out for I guess.

As the awesome folks here told me, the Wall of Flesh is the end of the tutorial. Hardmode non-expert mode is hard.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah, Expert mode really will likely just frustrate you more than provide a fun challenge unless you really already know the game backwards and forwards. And even then it's often more frustrating than fun. I stopped playing Expert worlds after my friends and I managed to finish an Expert Mediumcore run because man that was a slog. Sure it was rewarding at the end but it took much longer than it would have otherwise, and it would have been just about as fun

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, Expert mode is hard but it ain't THAT hard, you guys. You just have to actually prepare for boss fights.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Abuse yoyos if you want a fun and pretty easy time.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

Expert Mediumcore

I found the problem.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Loren1350 posted:

I found the problem.

Honestly, Mediumcore was only sort of the problem. The concept of being punished for dying in a semi-meaningful way is interesting but the damage scaling in Expert is just so stupid. Plus this was multiplayer co-op so the Mediumcore bit wasn't as punishing because your important stuff could be either put in a chest by a buddy nearby or they could grab stuff and bring it back. It was still fun but the unforgiving damage scaling in Expert made it take much longer than it should have.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!
The bigger problem with Mediumcore is that nobody seems to test anything for it- Favoriting items has to be redone every time, it used to erase all of your gear modifiers every time you died, explosive traps used to overwrite everything you dropped, the Calamity mod drops an item for you overwriting hotbar slot 0, etc.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

After 733 Dark Mummy kills, I've finally got my Megaphone! :confuoot:

Also turns out the farming map I've been using has not one, but two pyramids :stare:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Expert is really built for people who are already familiar with the game, have already beaten everything, and want a serious challenge to make the game feel hard even after they know what gear to shoot for to cheese any given stage of the game. If you still wanna do it, that's fine, but keep in mind that it'll be a lot more difficult than the last time you played multiplayer - not only does everything have doubled health and damage in Expert, but bosses also get even more increased health depending on the number of players online.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

not only does everything have doubled health and damage in Expert

Yeah, that's the main reason I don't care about expert mode personally. It makes all the grinding in the game that much more tedious. Item drop rates are increased, though, which does compensate a bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
expert isn't quite so simple as a crappy damage multiplier.

1) the armor formula is reworked. in normal mode, your damage reduction is equal to 50% of your total armor score. in expert mode, your damage reduction is equal to 75% of your total armor score. armor and forging is much more important and much more effective. the jump from silver to gold armor is huge. if you're having trouble, this is the first place to start.
2) most bosses have unique expert mode AI patterns that run at low health.
3) worm scarf :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's also a lot more status effects to go around, including ones the ankh shield doesn't work on

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Honestly, I just want a mod that gives me expert mode rewards and drop rates with literally none of the extra hours/damage/etc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah Expert's better drop rates are nice but bosses are so scaled up that you'll be doing at least as much grinding anyway, since there's a lot fewer equipment loadouts that are viable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tbh the only significant reward is the worm scarf, which just makes expert damage a bit more tolerable. Shield of Cthulhu is great with expert's faster bosses but won't matter normally.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man this conversation really makes me realize how far I've come from the standard Terraria player. Not in like, a good or bad way, just in the fact that I've played SO MUCH GODDAMN TERRARIA that even Expert Mode is just easy as hell. My opinions on difficulty are probably completely irrelevant to the majority of people at this point and that's super weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man this conversation really makes me realize how far I've come from the standard Terraria player. Not in like, a good or bad way, just in the fact that I've played SO MUCH GODDAMN TERRARIA that even Expert Mode is just easy as hell. My opinions on difficulty are probably completely irrelevant to the majority of people at this point and that's super weird.

Same.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Started a new expert game with Calamity and Thorium mods loaded, then popped Revenger (Calamity) mode.

Oh boy.

Some of the special drops from that mode are really nice though.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I'm raining an ungodly bee apocalypse upon my Terrarian foes. Bee gun? Beenades? Hornet summons? I got it all.

Even the mighty Skeletron stood no chance.

drat shame there isn't like, end game bee stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xenaero posted:

I'm raining an ungodly bee apocalypse upon my Terrarian foes. Bee gun? Beenades? Hornet summons? I got it all.

Even the mighty Skeletron stood no chance.

drat shame there isn't like, end game bee stuff.

Plantera drops an upgraded bee gun but lol 21 damage for a post plantera weapon. It also shoots way too many too fast so the pierce cap ruins your day.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 24, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This world has silver, platinum, and Titanium, and I now know true suffering

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

titanium is nearly black with all the greebles in it, platinum is bluish and relatively low on greebles, and silver is very white and somewhere in between.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

titanium is nearly black with all the greebles in it, platinum is bluish and relatively low on greebles, and silver is very white and somewhere in between.

Yeah I've been able to pick out the visual differences after a while (titanium is platinum, but more extra), but every time I leave this game for a while I just end up back at the starting line

Once you learn just how many metals IRL are greyish you start to realize why gold became so valued

Also I just found my first Cross Necklade and Armor Polish from the same lava pool :stare:

That was the last piece I needed for the Ankh Shield and I haven't even fought a mechanical boss yet!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah I've been able to pick out the visual differences after a while (titanium is platinum, but more extra), but every time I leave this game for a while I just end up back at the starting line

Once you learn just how many metals IRL are greyish you start to realize why gold became so valued

Also I just found my first Cross Necklade and Armor Polish from the same lava pool :stare:

That was the last piece I needed for the Ankh Shield and I haven't even fought a mechanical boss yet!
If you thought this grind was fun, go ahead and start on your cell phone when you hit hard mode :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RealFoxy posted:

If you thought this grind was fun, go ahead and start on your cell phone when you hit hard mode :)
Pretty sure they're already in hard mode.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah I'm already in Hardmode and I'm only missing the Fisherman's Pocket Guide for the Cellphone, got all the other components before entering Hardmode

Admittedly I nicked the two other Fishing info accessories from a playthrough me and a friend did in 2015

I don't expect to ever finish the cellphone tbh, the odds are just too poor

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cellphone is one of the reasons why I keep cheatsheet around. Way too much hassle to bother with again.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Getting a Metal Detector post-hardmode is such a chore.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've beaten the Moon Lord and I'm trying to thin out my fixed equipment; what two items should I keep for axe, hammer and pickaxe? Since they tend to get turned into two-in-ones I figure I can get away with just two items instead of three.
e: I could get that spaceship thing too if I ground a bit more bars but I like having the precision of the tools.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've beaten the Moon Lord and I'm trying to thin out my fixed equipment; what two items should I keep for axe, hammer and pickaxe? Since they tend to get turned into two-in-ones I figure I can get away with just two items instead of three.

Axe+Pickaxe combo is logical, since both these tools have basically the same function ("remove stuff from world, change it into items"). The hammer has a different function altogether ("shape slopes from blocks").

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

Axe+Pickaxe combo is logical, since both these tools have basically the same function ("remove stuff from world, change it into items"). The hammer has a different function altogether ("shape slopes from blocks").

Don't some items have axe+hammer properties too?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes; it's just that I find from a gameplay perspective they make less sense to me.

https://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tool

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So it looks like a combination of The Axe for Hammer and Axe stuff (if I can get it to drop) and then one of the Pillar Pickaxes for mining then. Cool, ty!

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
For what it's worth we ignored yall and are about to enter hardmode in our expert world.

The Queen Bee is a huge bitch on expert FYI, but her gun is real nice.

Anyway, I'll report back as we progress since I'm sure hardmode is going to be an actual nightmare. Right now we've been hard at work on an actual, functional home and protective barrier, but based on the few times it accidentally woke up and I played around fighting it, the wall of flesh should be pretty easy (so far the ONLY difficult boss has been the drat bee, which seemed like a much more stern gearcheck in its final stage especially than skeletron, which felt a little weird...also lots of its drops still outclass dungeon stuff, though the hell flower is about comparable to the bee gun), but anyway I'm fully prepared to hate everything from here on out so you know, wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

GobiasIndustries posted:

So it looks like a combination of The Axe for Hammer and Axe stuff (if I can get it to drop) and then one of the Pillar Pickaxes for mining then. Cool, ty!

Shroomite Digging Claws are probably better overall because of their speed; they can tear through most blocks faster than you can walk. The only real advantage that Luminite picks have is their range; they get a +4 bonus while the claws have a -1 penalty. (Oh, and Luminite picks can mine Temple blocks while the claws can not.)