Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I do wish Nintendo would have gone back and patched some of their older games with New 3DS enhancements - games like Luigi's Mansion and DKC Returns would really benefit from a higher framerate, both with and without 3D.

With a hacked 3DS you can force everything to run in n3DS mode :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

A while ago I ordered a New 3DSXL hori screen protector and received a regular 3DSXL one instead, and the seller sent out the right one when I told them what happened, so now I have one of each. Two questions:

- Is the non-New one usable with my N3DSXL?
- Are either of them usable with my partner's 2DSXL?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The Big Word posted:

A while ago I ordered a New 3DSXL hori screen protector and received a regular 3DSXL one instead, and the seller sent out the right one when I told them what happened, so now I have one of each. Two questions:

- Is the non-New one usable with my N3DSXL?
- Are either of them usable with my partner's 2DSXL?

The New and Regular XL have the same screen size no?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My favourite 3DS theme is the Picross 3D Round 2 theme, which is basically just the game itself because why would you ever quit back to the Home Menu.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you're not using the Isabelle theme I don't even want your friend code.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Rotating between the four Animal Crossing seasonal themes depending on the time of year 4 lyfe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

repiv posted:

With a hacked 3DS you can force everything to run in n3DS mode :ssh:

I want Nintendo to do it themselves.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

If I have a hacked 3ds, what is the easiest way to get all of the now-unavailable dlc onto my Dragon Quest 9 cart?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Linnaeus posted:

If I have a hacked 3ds, what is the easiest way to get all of the now-unavailable dlc onto my Dragon Quest 9 cart?

Isn’t that a DS game? If that’s the case, I suppose you’d need it on a flash card and then just download a hacked save with all the stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

If you can dump the save from the cart there's a Dragon Quest 9 save editor on PC that can add the downloadable quests and other things and then write the save back to the cart. IDK what kind of 3DS homebrew exists for managing DS saves, but there are USB dongles that can backup saves.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

homeless snail posted:

If you can dump the save from the cart there's a Dragon Quest 9 save editor on PC that can add the downloadable quests and other things and then write the save back to the cart. IDK what kind of 3DS homebrew exists for managing DS saves, but there are USB dongles that can backup saves.

Thanks, took your suggestion and a program called TWLSaveTool worked and now I've got all the dlc quests and my inn upgraded :cheers:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

For future reference, there's a project that emulates the defunct DLC servers for many DS games:

https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki

Save editing is probably easier but not every game has a save editor available.

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 24, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

irlZaphod posted:

My favourite 3DS theme is the Picross 3D Round 2 theme, which is basically just the game itself because why would you ever quit back to the Home Menu.

Because I have Dragon Balls to fight.
e - if it's not to :filez:, what's the current method to do save editing and such. Is Soundhax still a thing? Was there ever a save editor for any of the Streetpass games?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

Because I have Dragon Balls to fight.
e - if it's not to :filez:, what's the current method to do save editing and such. Is Soundhax still a thing? Was there ever a save editor for any of the Streetpass games?

We have a thread for Nintendo hacking over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Just follow https://3ds.guide basically. Soundhax won't work anymore if your 3DS is fully updated, but literally any 3DS can be hacked using certain DS flashcarts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

repiv posted:

For future reference, there's a project that emulates the defunct DLC servers for many DS games:

https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator/wiki

Save editing is probably easier but not every game has a save editor available.

This is really cool

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

repiv posted:

We have a thread for Nintendo hacking over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Just follow https://3ds.guide basically. Soundhax won't work anymore if your 3DS is fully updated, but literally any 3DS can be hacked using certain DS flashcarts.

rip soundhax. That was easy to use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It sounds like you've got it already but the DQIX DLC stuff is all on-cart, you can just unlock it with some Action Replay codes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This week's drop (all releases Jan 25, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

3DS
Pokemon Crystal [GBC VC] - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (Jan 26)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
When it debuted on the Game Boy Color, Pokémon Crystal Version introduced many new and exciting elements to the Pokémon franchise. An expanded version of Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version, it was the first Pokémon game to allow players to choose between a male or female playable character, as well as being the first game to introduce animations during Pokémon battles.

In this version of Pokémon Crystal Version, you will also have the chance to encounter the mythical Pokémon Celebi in an event after completing the game. In the original version of Pokémon Crystal Version, Celebi could only be obtained by using a special accessory.

Pokémon Crystal Version is compatible with the wireless communication features of Nintendo 3DS and Trainers can enjoy Link Trades and Link Battles between Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Crystal Version, Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version.

In addition, Pokemon Crystal Version is also compatible with the Time Capsule function, allowing players to Link Trade Pokémon between the Virtual Console versions of Pokemon Crystal Version, Pokémon Gold Version, Pokémon Silver Version, Pokémon Red Version, Pokémon Blue Version, or Pokémon Yellow Version: Special Pikachu Edition in Pokémon Centres within the games.

Pokémon Crystal Version will also be compatible with Pokémon Bank. With the addition of Pokémon Crystal Version to this service, it is now possible to bring Pokémon from all core games in the series to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon.

Zig Zag Go - $1.49(Jan 26 NA / ? EU)
Digital - [NA]
Use the touch screen to switch directions quickly and avoid oncoming shapes. Endless fun for everyone!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just grabbed a new 2DS and Pokémon Sun+ Monster Hunter 4 today. Thinking I’m gonna grab OoT since it’s 20 bucks. God I forgot how expensive games for Nintendo platforms can be, my years of Steam and PS4 sales have spoiled me.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Mega Picross is kicking my rear end. How the hell do I have enough information to mark anything in this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

See the column that goes 6, 3, 1, 5? The one square you have filled in above the 3 that are going to become the 5 you know must be the 1. So X that off and you have a place to start. The other blue marked columns have something too if you take the time to work through them but that's the easiest one for me to spot at a glance.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Got it! Thanks. I just cannot get the mega picross rules through my thick skull, I keep forgetting key things like total separation between groups, etc. Welp practice makes perfect. It was a picture of a scooter

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It took me a while to get the hang of it too, and now in the last two games I've been trying my hardest to solve all puzzles without the blue hints. I've got standard picross down but every so often there's a mega picross where I just can't see it without a helping hand.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I showed Mega Picross to my brother who hasn't been keeping up with the series but loves Picross, and his base reaction was pretty much "What the hell? This is bullcrap!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sorry paint I was wrong, turns out the next winner was.. uh...

Video of it in action.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The amount of detail they put into this ability is surprising. And apparently it's really strong to boot.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

pretty awesome that Sleep is finally no longer a joke useless ability.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Free Radiant Historia theme available now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also put up a demo for Radiant Historia, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BovineFury posted:

:stwoon:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Is... is this game popular enough that it has a community and a developed meta?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This week's drop (all releases Feb 1, unless otherwise stated).

Note: eShop updates at 12 noon EST/9am PST for NA, 15.00 CET/14.00 GMT for Europe.

3DS
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology - demo

New 3DS
Now I know My ABCs 2 - $8.99 (Feb 2 NA)
Digital - [NA]
Now I know my ABCs 2, is a fun and interactive way to learn the alphabet. You're shown step-by-step how to write each letter. Your goal is to write every letter in both lowercase and uppercase. After you complete writing each letter a cool animation plays, giving positive reinforcement to help encourage the learning of even more letters!

Zig Zag Go - $1.49 / £1.39 / €1.49 (Jan 26 NA / Feb 1 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Use the touch screen to switch directions quickly and avoid oncoming shapes. Endless fun for everyone!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is a demo that allows you to continue from your place in the full game? Unlockables of any sort?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BovineFury posted:

I've never downloaded a 3DS theme before, so whatever this is has my interest for at least a day.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

irlZaphod posted:

Now I know My ABCs 2

YUSS I was waiting for this. If you guys like picross you're gonna love this one. Its a real brainteaser

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is a demo that allows you to continue from your place in the full game?

I haven’t finished the demo yet, but it seems like this is the case.

The only unlockables are some free high grade consumables that get gifted to you at the start

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey I haven’t touched my 3DS XL in like a year (?) and the last game I remember wanting was Hyrule Warriors. I love the 3D and was thinking of upgrading my Link Between Worlds XL to a Nu-3DXL.

Are there any discounts or sales I should wait for? What awesome games have I missed in the last year?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I know it’s a long shot, but instead of spending on a N3DS XL, have you considered a Switch and the definitive Hyrule Warriors version that is due this year? It will most probably perform MUCH better and you won’t be spending 200$ on a “dead” system.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey I haven’t touched my 3DS XL in like a year (?) and the last game I remember wanting was Hyrule Warriors. I love the 3D and was thinking of upgrading my Link Between Worlds XL to a Nu-3DXL.

Are there any discounts or sales I should wait for? What awesome games have I missed in the last year?

I dunno, but if you want a copy of the game for cheap, I got you. It's coming to Switch, so I'm upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I heard it was basically unplayable on the original 3DS XL...

Hmm, the truth is I do want a Switch. I’m the same guy who bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2, and Bayonetta 3//Breath of the Wild//The Promise of Metroid Prime 4 is hugely tempting.

But I just bought a PS4Pro in October and can’t justify a 2nd console before buying a car and the $400 Switch plus another $100 in games would sent that plan spazzing.

Is selling my old XL for $100 too much? It’s a golden Link Between Worlds model and the only thing keeping it from pristine condition is a scratch on the hinge the length and thickness of a dime, like someone dug a fingernail into it.