Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tests were inconclusive about what your future career will be but it looks very likely youll end up getting dumped for flirting with another woman on instagram you met through r/pickyeatersrule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

Tests were inconclusive about what your future career will be but it looks very likely youll end up getting dumped for flirting with another woman on instagram you met through r/pickyeatersrule

What about /r/meetcuteyugiohplayers?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

What about /r/meetcuteyugiohplayers?

That subreddit has zero people posting in it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Batterypowered7 posted:

That subreddit has zero people posting in it.

You just don't have faith in the cards.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
there's something that unfortunate that happens with personality type tests and mental health diagnoses where attaching an official label to lovely behaviors causes some people to believe self-improvement and personal growth is impossible.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Haahaa well I'm just an introvert hahaha i just can't handle people haha need to recharge!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Myers-Briggs results are extra hilarious because they can completely change from day to day depending on your mood when you answer. Yes, this is definitely a 100% accurate test you should use to make important workplace and personal decisions.

My [21F] friend [22F] uses her MBTI personality type to excuse her bad behavior

quote:

I've been a longtime lurker of this sub, but now I find I am in need of some advice from this sub.

So I met my friend, who I'll call Kate, 4 months ago during training for our job. We were both new, and we were both going to be living and working in very close proximity to one another so naturally a friendship sparked. Kate and I initially got along very well, and we became very close, to the point where our other co-workers would be shocked if we were ever seen apart.

Several weeks into the job, we decided to take the MBTI personality test just for fun and to see what our personality types said about us. Well, what started out as a fun activity turned into a source of constant stress for me, because Kate took her personality type very seriously and has been bringing it up daily. I personally find these things fun, however, she has been using her personality type to justify and excuse her lovely behavior. For example, a few weeks ago she was very rude to another staff member of ours and when I called her out on it, she said "I'm an ENTJ, I don't care if I am rude", or when she spammed another colleague of ours with constant texts when she was angry at him, she said "I'm an ENTJ, I don't know personal boundaries". And it is these kinds of responses that I deal with on almost a daily basis whenever she says or does something morally questionable.

The breaking point for me came several weeks ago when she and I went to a Halloween event with some co-workers, as well as my recent ex, Joey. I was still getting over our breakup and was quite fragile, and it was something that Kate knew about as I had gone to her earlier that day. While we were waiting outside, Kate makes some remarks about being cold and cuddles up next to Joey, while in full view of me. She then starts touching his face, neck, and eventually puts her hands on his chest and remarks to me that I should "feel how warm he is" while she is trying (but not succeeding) to cuddle up to him. I was extremely hurt as she knew how much I was still hurting from our breakup, so I excused myself and left to find another friend. I tried to talk to her about it the next day and tell her that what she did hurt my feelings, but when I did, she said "I'm an ENTJ, I'm just a very touchy individual and you can't expect me not to be".

So I am at a loss for what to do. It seems as though my concerns are being brushed off and that her "personality type" can excuse an bad behavior of hers, as well as the fact that she really hurt me. How do I talk to her about this without her using the MBTI thing to brush off the conversation? I am not sure I want to remain friends with her at this point, however, I am going to be living and working near her until May, so I need some advice on how to handle this conversation with her in case things go south.

tl;dr: My friend uses her MBTI personality type to excuse her bad behavior, and even used it to brush off my feelings after she hurt me. We live and work in close proximity and I need help addressing this in order to remain professional if we don't remain friends. Don't know what to do.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They've apparently almost completely wiped out trichanosis so by about a decade from now you'll be about to safely order rare pork in upscale restaurants

Pork tapeworms can colonize your brain. Beef can't.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I self diagnosed with multiple personality disorder because I've gotten different myers briggs results at different times.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

there's something that unfortunate that happens with personality type tests and mental health diagnoses where attaching an official label to lovely behaviors causes some people to believe self-improvement and personal growth is impossible.

I agree and generally think pathologizing crappy behavior is a mistake for this reason.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If you get J any point after high school you're probably a libertarian.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I had a buddy who got into the MB thing a while back. I think he used it more as a rubric for interpreting other people's behaviors rather than rigidly adhering to it as a science. Same way I suspect that younger kids reading the Zodiac/Horoscope train themselves to start categorizing and identifying personality traits.

Anyway, he invited me to some meetups based on different personalities and they were fun. After the first few minutes of ice breaking nobody really talked about it and the people were pretty chill for the most part.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ArbitraryC posted:

If you get J any point after high school you're probably a libertarian.
You're talking about half the planet but it's the same as big-5 conscientiousness if that means anything to you - it's not really political at all and says more about you personally than how you interact with others.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you care about being J you're probably a libertarian

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You're talking about half the planet but it's the same as big-5 conscientiousness if that means anything to you - it's not really political at all and says more about you personally than how you interact with others.

I'm aware, and perhaps libertarian is a bad example, but getting J basically means you have no empathy for strangers. The questions are all very transparent and not as mood dependent as the other 3 categories.

Like E or I is whether or not you feel like hanging out with people is relaxing or not, P or J is whether or not you feel it's good and just for people to starve in the streets homeless.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I get ENFJ and that’s the altruist one or some poo poo so it doesn’t really fit with libertarian whatever.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm aware, and perhaps libertarian is a bad example, but getting J basically means you have no empathy for strangers. The questions are all very transparent and not as mood dependent as the other 3 categories.

Like E or I is whether or not you feel like hanging out with people is relaxing or not, P or J is whether or not you feel it's good and just for people to starve in the streets homeless.

but the test said I'm like Clint Eastwood and that's pretty cool

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Idk about these quad letter types but I've taken the homestuck extended zodiac quiz and I'm a derse dreamer with an aspect of ketchup on steak so don't interact if you're the sea hitler character or prospit prospectors.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think that's really true - if anything they're more likely to notice hierarchies and status and all that nonsense and place themselves within them, whether near the top or bottom. Every judgemental person is insecure about their own status to some degree, and while I could see that coming off as dismissive of others, I don't think that's the same as unempathetic. I would honestly expect the libertarian stuff more from low-conscientiousness folks who aren't status-driven themselves and thus can't conceive as to how someone's brain might work that way - "just think your way around the crushing weight of your class like I did". Like it's easier to dismiss class/status as a means of control if you don't feel the emotional weight yourself beyond the literal dollars.

If I was gonna shoot in the dark, I'd guess empathy is more correlated with extraversion than conscientiousness. *ducks* Thinking vs feeling or whatever in mbti seems like the bullshit one to me but I'd expect "high thinking(mbti)/low agreeableness(big 5)" to also be closer to that.

Also ENTJ is the secret worst type, INTJs are fuckin' dorks but they're quiet about it and just do their work, ENTJs also are gonna step all over you to get ahead.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Are there any reputable sites to take one of these tests on. I want to put it on my dating profile and justify my lovely behavior.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Give it a decade and employers will be using the test that really matters: What Hogwarts House you belong in.

If you're not Slytherin, you're not management material.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
People who like people are the people who are good to people, I.e. the good people.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I guess my impression mostly comes from the questions, the J ones tend to be more believing in a just world where people get what's coming to them, while P is more understanding that individual circumstance can put people in unreasonable situations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife works in a middle school and last year she told me about how a sixth-grade girl was upset because she took a "Which Schuyler Sister are you" quiz and got Peggy

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vargatron posted:

Are there any reputable sites to take one of these tests on. I want to put it on my dating profile and justify my lovely behavior.

Local college should have a ton of psych students that need volunteers for practicing the real thing. You can also get a real ink blot test that way for more fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haifisch posted:

Give it a decade and employers will be using the test that really matters: What Hogwarts House you belong in.

If you're not Slytherin, you're not management material.

My wife had to take one at her work, because of the mood she was in and because she was worried they'd judge her for her hypothetical reactions to the individual questions (everyone of course answered based on what they think the company would want to hear rather than honestly) she got a result that did not at all match her at all. The results of this test were used by management to adopt a "coaching style" for each person as well as where they'd best be promoted and what type of tasks they're suited for. Management that heavily bought into the results of this test (obviously recommended by some over-paid consultant, and tested by some over-paid 3rd party) were then shocked that so many staff members seemed to hate doing things they were supposed to like, or were good at things the their personality type is supposed to avoid.

I've heard similar stories from other people trapped in the corporate world. It's insane the pseudoscience-management poo poo this class eats up.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

loquacius posted:

My wife works in a middle school and last year she told me about how a sixth-grade girl was upset because she took a "Which Schuyler Sister are you" quiz and got Peggy

Peggy is the lamest sister so she's kind of justified in being upset.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ArbitraryC posted:

Popping in to say it strikes me as very weird that you would make a moral judgment of total strangers based on Nerd Astrology. All personality tests are extremely iffy at best and have about as much to do with real life as the "what anime character are you" Quizilla tests. So uh, gee whiz buddy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

HIJK posted:

Popping in to say it strikes me as very weird that you would make a moral judgment of total strangers based on Nerd Astrology. All personality tests are extremely iffy at best and have about as much to do with real life as the "what anime character are you" Quizilla tests. So uh, gee whiz buddy.

Well you see it's easier to put INFP in your profile than "identifies as Goku".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I've heard similar stories from other people trapped in the corporate world. It's insane the pseudoscience-management poo poo this class eats up.

The idea that people wont be truthful on the test is supposed to be factored in but it never actually is. One of my offices did a reporting on office happiness and that loving Key Recommendation Question and couldnt figure out why it had absolutely no bearing on the rate at which people left the company and gave scores on glassdoor.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

HIJK posted:

there's a reason all mbti test horror stories involve ***j people.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

HIJK posted:

They are good, if we hang out for 15 minutes I'll tell you which one you are before you take the test and then I'll use it to predict your behavior in a brief but poignant series of contrived ethical and social situations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nah it's definitely an HR thing, psy will make you sit through four weeks of lectures about norming the MMPI-2-RF

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

let me just crosspost this

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was an INTJ when I took the test back when I was 14. I took it as proof that I actually was a misunderstood genius and obviously much smarter and more mature than my stupid classmates who only cared about partying. The fact that people still think these things a decade later is incredibly embarrassing.

If they took out the part in the INTJ description where it says it’s the rarest type and only .8% of people get it, I’m certain the number of people claiming to be one would decrease. That was the major draw for me, just that it was uncommon, which meant “better” and “really cool” to 14 year old me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CheesyDog posted:

Nah it's definitely an HR thing, psy will make you sit through four weeks of lectures about norming the MMPI-2-RF

Man, I had to sit through the MMPI and IPI in one go for a job process once. It started off kind of fun but it got real draining after the 300th question or so.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Vargatron posted:

I would unironically prefer to have a tarot reading on a job assessment rather than whatever the gently caress mental evaluation companies are giving out these days.

MBTI is old trash, it's all about Kingdomality now

example results can be found here since they updated their web-page so it's substantially less embarassing than it used to be, but also harder to navigate without giving them info

e:

loquacius posted:

lmao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The reason they do this BS is most jobs ar dumb and don’t actually need doing so bored people come up with poo poo to do and cultivate gossip fodder

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vargatron posted:

Well you see it's easier to put INFP in your profile than "identifies as Goku".

but see i identify as bob belcher and idk how that maps to mbti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It can be interpeted politically, Lakoff wrote some interesting books on it.