Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

IM READY NEPTUNE TAKE ME NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AEMO, the people who run our energy network thinks the government are poo poo and not doing enough for our carbon emissions targets.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...123-h0mp6x.html

quote:

Greenhouse gas emissions from the electricity sector would be reduced at twice the rate proposed by the Turnbull government under a radical new plan outlined by the Australian Energy Market Operator.

The "fast change" model puts the public operator on a collision course with policymakers after AEMO outlined a potential cut of 52 per cent to all electricity emissions by 2030, double the rate required to meet our Paris climate change commitments.

The paper comes as the government-created Energy Security Board – of which AEMO's renewables-focused chief executive Audrey Zibelman is a member – is preparing to release modelling next month for the government's National Energy Guarantee aimed at shoring up reliability while curbing carbon emissions.

Labor state governments, in particular, hold reservations about the guarantee, including whether it will extend the life of coal-fired power plants while freezing large-scale renewable energy at 2020-levels for a decade.

The operator forecast the ambitious 52 per cent reduction target could be reached despite strong economic and population growth through a growing uptake in electric vehicles and rapid cost reductions in wind and grid storage.

The viability of an AEMO "fast change" option over what it described as the "business as usual" policy of the Turnbull government is likely to encourage state premiers to demand more ambition from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg.

Any such move to double emissions reduction targets would put the energy operator squarely at odds with the government's review of climate policy, which emphasised that emissions baselines should be increased when businesses require it.

The consultation paper also proposes establishing seven new "renewable energy zones" including two in Nationals heartlands of New England and Northern Queensland, where it is likely to meet fierce resistance from MPs who voted against giving any subsidies to renewable energy at their national conference last year.

The paper, quietly released the week before Christmas, said "large clusters" of renewable energy zones should be established to promote economies of scale in high-resource areas and capture geographic and technological diversity.

The proposed zones could take up as much as 0.5 per cent of farm land in NSW, Queensland and Victoria, equivalent to tens of thousands of square kilometres if fully implemented.

The operator argued investment in the zones was needed to maintain the guarantee because 70 per cent of coal generating plants would reach the end of their intended operating life by 2040.

Greens climate change spokesman Adam Bandt said the AEMO report was effectively sidestepping the government's policies.

"It's clear that AEMO has so little regard for this government that it's leaving it by the wayside, which is what anyone who cares about tackling climate change should do as well," he said.

"The people running our energy system know what needs to be done and thank goodness they've decided to bypass the reckless Turnbull government."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Vic Liberals are starting to use ideas from their northern brethren. What a loving toolbag.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Like have the vic liberals ever actually been to Melbourne, or spoken to anyone who has? Or are they just content to lead the Andrews govt in their race to the bottom by a considerable margin?

I'm looking forward to the Greens snatching up more seats there either way.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Maybe the Mafia have tickets on the Greens

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

Like have the vic liberals ever actually been to Melbourne, or spoken to anyone who has? Or are they just content to lead the Andrews govt in their race to the bottom by a considerable margin?

I'm looking forward to the Greens snatching up more seats there either way.

Liberals have basically decided they won’t even try to win anything in the inner suburbs. They’ll win the toff middle ring eastern and south eastern suburbs by default and then fight Labor in the outer suburbs with a PC Gone Mad culture war

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Still waiting to hear what these Aussie Values are...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Halo14 posted:

mateship

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
A Fair Go
Lookin' after yer mates
Havin' a punt on the ponies
Negative Gearin'
Workin' hard as a Tradie

Flamin' Lefties think they can take that away from us!

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Halo14 posted:

I can't imagine what values that dead-eyed psychopath has to teach anybody. Other than to not look a gift lobster in the beak.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

JBP posted:

You seem upset that I asked a thread that knows more than me who the prominent indigenous speakers/activists are because I have no idea and was only finding vague pages with no author or horse poo poo.

Did you end up reading any of the stuff I sent you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I read a few of Gorrie's articles. I like her take on Recognise since I've only ever seen it as a meaningless brand name. Also good stuff about collective and direct action v white man's politics. Led me to IndigenousX eventually which is basically everything I wanted in one place.

I also ordered Treaty and Statehood but it hasn't arrived. I want to read it over the weekend :negative:

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah I read a few of Gorrie's articles. I like her take on Recognise since I've only ever seen it as a meaningless brand name. Also good stuff about collective and direct action v white man's politics. Led me to IndigenousX eventually which is basically everything I wanted in one place.

I also ordered Treaty and Statehood but it hasn't arrived. I want to read it over the weekend :negative:

IndigenousX is fantastic and everyone should subscribe to their Patreon.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

JBP posted:

Awesome. Sorry if I was a bit of a dick while sharing them I guess it probably can be hard to find stuff that you can engage with when you don't know where to even start.

IndigenousX is great glad you found it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just like to dig into one person's work. Gorrie is a good recommendation imo. I like her style and she has a lot of interesting reflections on appearing in anglo-centric media, which I find particularly revealing. I can't remember what it was, but she had a bit of an aside about appearing on a panel as the token black person alongside van Badham and Dastyari. General gist was how much they loved polite democracy and believed democracy would find a way while she replied bullshit the entire time.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

The Vic Liberals are starting to use ideas from their northern brethren. What a loving toolbag.

They're desperate to claw back some regional seats, that's why they're so focused on an education culture war. And the ALP know it.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

hahaha holy poo poo. Those three are the only cross-curriculum priorities. They want to get rid of an entire section of the Australia Curriculum. It's also pretty loving clear they have zero idea of how they are incorporated into classes. It's not like a maths class turns into indigenous history for a lesson.

quote:

Whilst we agree with the importance of these topics, we believe greater value would result from not having cross curriculum priorities which serve only to dilute the teaching of core competencies; namely, literacy, numeracy and writing skills”.
Ah yes, teachers are going to ignore the first two General Capabilities. Also if they read the drat curriculum they could have also got mad at Ethical understanding and Intercultural understanding also being consider general capabilities. These guys suck at fighting this apparent culture war that definitely isn't just them making GBS threads their diaper every time they read sustainability.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Sparticle posted:

hahaha holy poo poo. Those three are the only cross-curriculum priorities. They want to get rid of an entire section of the Australia Curriculum. It's also pretty loving clear they have zero idea of how they are incorporated into classes. It's not like a maths class turns into indigenous history for a lesson.

Ah yes, teachers are going to ignore the first two General Capabilities. Also if they read the drat curriculum they could have also got mad at Ethical understanding and Intercultural understanding also being consider general capabilities. These guys suck at fighting this apparent culture war that definitely isn't just them making GBS threads their diaper every time they read sustainability.

please tweet all of this so I can repeatedly retweet it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

Victorian Nationals leader Peter Walsh and Opposition leader Matthew Guy both went to state schools.

Ah now we see the violence inherent in the system! The untermensch must learn their place and give up this silly fad of "multiculural marxism". What's their position on scientific literacy, I wonder?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

The Rail, Tram & Bus Union have voted 94% against the new pay deal, so Sydney is going to be pretty much shut down on Monday.

Of course the government is trying to stop the strike using the Fair Work Commission...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ShoeFly posted:

The Rail, Tram & Bus Union have voted 94% against the new pay deal, so Sydney is going to be pretty much shut down on Monday.

Of course the government is trying to stop the strike using the Fair Work Commission...

Every strike gets shut down by FWC because picketing and protesting outside the business or disrupting scabs is unlawful. Basically a strike under the law is pointless.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anidav posted:

Opinion: Australia becoming a republic would be a blow to democracy

Des Houghton

I HAVE a horrible feeling Australia will be a republic within two or three years.

And this great nation will be the worse for it.

Now the trendy republicans are trying to hoodwink us into accepting another form of government that is demonstrably inferior to the one we have at the moment.

Along the way a campaign to besmirch the monarchy is gathering pace.

However we must never forget that English settlement had a great civilising effect on this brown land.
Unfortunately, Australia's head of state Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia is regarded by many young people as a dear old has-been. Regardless of what you think of her she remains our constitutional safeguard. She remains a permanent protector of our Constitution. Her very existence ensures out democracy, enshrined in the Constitution, stay inviolate.

Her Maj is 91 and she did look rather frail delivering her Christmas Day oratory.

Republicans are choosing their words carefully but I suspect they are quietly waiting for the Queen to die before they strike.

Republicans hope Prince Charles wont command the same respect when he inevitably becomes king.

Difficult questions remain unanswered.

If we do get a republic, who will be the first President of Australia? You tell me.

Will it be an elder statesman like Phillip Ruddock or George Brandis, or will it be Jonathan Thurston or Wally Lewis?

Will an elected head of state have the power to usurp the decisions of the parliament? Surely that would be a blow to democracy. So the republic was and remains a very bad idea.

God Save the Queen; from republicans.

This... this is one of the worst things I've ever read. It doesn't say anything. Like if it was posted in these forums it'd probably be probatable.

Regardless of how demonstrably undemocratic an unelected head of state is, how is the queen the protector of our constitution, more so than say, our supreme court?

Yes, the question of who our head of state will be is unanswered, because we haven't even decided if we can ask it yet.

(Incidentally, if anything productive is to come out of this post, who would be a good head of state?)

If this is what the monarchists have to offer then yes, we almost certainly will be a republic in the next few years.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah it's worse than Bolt imho

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone tell poo poo for brains here that the Windsors are German it would blow his mind.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Hobo Erotica posted:

This... this is one of the worst things I've ever read. It doesn't say anything. Like if it was posted in these forums it'd probably be probatable.

Regardless of how demonstrably undemocratic an unelected head of state is, how is the queen the protector of our constitution, more so than say, our supreme court?

Yes, the question of who our head of state will be is unanswered, because we haven't even decided if we can ask it yet.

(Incidentally, if anything productive is to come out of this post, who would be a good head of state?)

If this is what the monarchists have to offer then yes, we almost certainly will be a republic in the next few years.

Do we actually need a head of state? Can't the government just appoint a representative to speak for us at international events? Can we just be run by parliament? The Prime Minister isn't even a real job, they can just turf that as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We want someone to wield reserve power. And we want them to be apolitical, which is why I'm wary of direct election. But the popular image of a 'president' is so overwhelmed by America people wouldn't accept any other method.

I like the old federal council plan. Each state parilament appoints a governor by supermajority, together 5/6 of governors wield reserve power.

I also reckon even if we did that, we should just declare the PM the head of state. It's a dumb seperation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 24, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Hobo Erotica posted:

I don't understand, Forever Chancellor Dutton is head of state and always has been

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

Do we actually need a head of state? Can't the government just appoint a representative to speak for us at international events? Can we just be run by parliament? The Prime Minister isn't even a real job, they can just turf that as well.

Yes. Yes, they're called the Prime Minister. Yes. Probably not.

In that order.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just look at that last line:

"Will an elected head of state have the power to usurp the decisions of the parliament? Surely that would be a blow to democracy. So the republic was and remains a very bad idea."

He literally poses a question, takes it upon himself to answer it, and then uses his completely unqualified answer to reach the conclusion he wants. It's astonishingly bad writing, even for someone in primary school.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 24, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm a republican who is right now pro-monarchy because I don't trust us not to gently caress up designing a replacement.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

We want someone to wield reserve power. And we want them to be apolitical, which is why I'm wary of direct election. But the popular image of a 'president' is so overwhelmed by America people wouldn't accept any other method.

I like the old federal council plan. Each state parilament appoints a governor by supermajority, together 5/6 of governors wield reserve power.

I also reckon even if we did that, we should just declare the PM the head of state. It's a dumb seperation.

Haven't heard that before, sounds interesting. Seems to lack a certain grace though. Is the governor a premier? Don't we want to keep state and federal more seperate than that? Assuming we keep the states of course.

Speaking of which, I thought it was weird when they decided that Clover Moore couldn't simultaneously be the mayor of Sydney and the Member for Sydney in state Parliment. Surely that's a good and efficient use of mayor-ing? To represent the citizens?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hobo Erotica posted:

Haven't heard that before, sounds interesting. Seems to lack a certain grace though. Is the governor a premier? Don't we want to keep state and federal more seperate than that? Assuming we keep the states of course.

No, it'd just be literally the same governors we already have now. They're the head of state of the states, appointed by the Premiers. Right now by the grace of the Queen, but we'd just pray the crown off the logo. The concept being that the national executive is the literal assemblage of the state executives. Given that the only function of the executive is ceremonial and the very rare Oh poo poo button, seperation is less necessary.

The change to supermajority appointment at state level rather than premier appointment would be to keep their federal functions apolitical.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 24, 2018

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

God I hate the amount of duplication we have in our governments.

I know I've said it before, but what the gently caress are we paying all these people for. Ribbon cutting?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hobo Erotica posted:

I know I've said it before, but what the gently caress are we paying all these people for. Ribbon cutting?

Pretty much.

Don't look up where they live.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Canberra Goons - here's the deets for the Invasion Day rally Friday. https://www.facebook.com/events/341298233046877/ And ffs don't wear party branded poo poo or some irrelevant banner. We're not the loving Victorian Greens.

MikeJF posted:

I'm super in favour of a Federal Council as head of state, but more like Switzerland than the old model. Each state (NT and ACT become states) directly elects OVOV one councillor as does the First Nations community, with a total of 9, with a rotating Presidency every six month, with a mere majority able to make most decisions and a supermajority of 7 required to use reserve powers to dissolve Parliament.

but they all have to wear masks like it's Eyes Wide Shut

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'm a republican who is right now pro-monarchy because I don't trust us not to gently caress up designing a replacement.

:same:

Also it’s probably really expensive.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
If we're on government reformation chat, I'm unironically in favour of abolishing local councils. I have to deal with a bunch for work and in my experience, they're universally shite because of so many different things that the best solution is to just get rid of them. There's nothing they do that a state government couldn't do.

Chance update for those who are interested: he still isn't out of the woods yet, but things are looking a bit less dire than they were before. He may not get out of it totally unscathed (they still don't know exactly what the dogs were poisoned with, and will need to monitor to see if there are any long-term consequences), but that he might get out of it at all is a miracle in itself. :unsmith:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kafka Syrup posted:

I'm super in favour of a Federal Council as head of state, but more like Switzerland than the old model. Each state (NT and ACT become states) directly elects OVOV one councillor as does the First Nations community, with a total of 9, with a rotating Presidency every six month, with a mere majority able to make most decisions and a supermajority of 7 required to use reserve powers to dissolve Parliament.

but they all have to wear masks like it's Eyes Wide Shut

Not sure about the first part, but I'm sold on the second.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Whitlam posted:

There's nothing they do that a state government couldn't do.

Wrong way round Whitlam! Get rid of states, there's nothing they do that the federal / locals can't do. Surely we need councils more than we need states.

Sorry about Chance, good luck lil' pup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

can we not just specify the procedure for dealing with situations that would require reserve power in the constitution (eg if a government loses confidence x happens) and do away with the need for a head of state? is the concern that an unforeseen situation might come up which requires a human’s mediation?

• Locked thread