Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why would you go to some sporting organization instead of, oh I don't know, the goddamn police?!? It's like going to the bishop when a priest does it, I'm sure he has your best interests in mind uh huh.

Wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

U-DO Burger posted:

as someone who works at a university, for the love of god call the actual police and not campus security

They have rights to shoot and detain at my big 10 campus. They aren’t computer janitors. Wtf

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qOMpjicGs

Grown men trying and failing to use a ski lift

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Are they at the point where they've put the inspiring joepa statues back up? I remember hearing that was on the table a while back.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Burt Sexual posted:

They have rights to shoot and detain at my big 10 campus. They aren’t computer janitors. Wtf

The message isn’t “call the people with actual power,” it’s “don’t trust anyone who works for a university if you have a problem with someone working at that university.”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Burt Sexual posted:

Who pays their salary?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fumaofthelake posted:

The message isn’t “call the people with actual power,” it’s “don’t trust anyone who works for a university if you have a problem with someone working at that university.”

Ok.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Burt Sexual posted:

That's the point brotha. Despite being actual police they operate like lovely security guards. Pretty sure most of us in this thread went to college too.

The campus cops at my uni liked to drink tall boys behind the parking garage and a few of the older ones were unapologetic pervs. They also like, have a badge and a gun and can arrest you and poo poo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fumaofthelake posted:

The point is that instead of blaming sexual abuse victims for having the naiveté to believe that the people ostensibly responsible for protecting them are actually going to make an effort to protect them, you should instead be lumping the people who failed to fulfill that responsibility into the category 'people who deserve to swing from a rope' alongside Nassar.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phanatic posted:

The point is that instead of blaming sexual abuse victims for having the naiveté to believe that the people ostensibly responsible for protecting them are actually going to make an effort to protect them, you should instead be lumping the people who failed to fulfill that responsibility into the category 'people who deserve to swing from a rope' alongside Nassar.

Yep and the prez of MSU just resigned.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I‘m saying “the people they reported it to might not have pursued the investigation with sufficient vigor because of conflict” not “why did those dummies report to university officials?!?”

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Same generic meat loaf bread thing for his 3 square meals a day, and set up a webcam to film him slipping into insanity.

Also blasting same generic Meat Loaf album constantly 24/7.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I‘m saying “the people they reported it to might not have pursued the investigation with sufficient vigor because of conflict” not “why did those dummies report to university officials?!?”

They may have been shook at the time

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Burt Sexual posted:

Yep and the prez of MSU just resigned.

Check out the vice chair of the Board of Trustees:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/01/23/larry-nassar-scandal-joe-ferguson/1057931001/

quote:

As calls mount for Lou Anna Simon to step down as president of Michigan State University in the wake of the Larry Nassar sex abuse scandal, trustee Joel Ferguson, the vice chairman of the board, is adamant it won't happen.

"That will not happen. Period," Ferguson said on "Staudt on Sports," a radio program on WVFN-AM (730). "She’s a fighter. Her overall, what she’s done for this university, she’s not going to get ran out of there by what somebody else did.

Meanwhile, Ferguson insists the scandal won't tarnish Simon's legacy as university president, that it's "wrong" to even talk about the possibility of Simon retiring, and is confident that the attorney-general investigation into MSU will find its "senior people are not complicit in what this pervert did."

"I mean, when you go to the basketball game, you walk into the new Breslin, and the person who hustled and got all those major donors to give money was Lou Anna Simon," Ferguson said. "There’s just so many things that make up being president at a university that keeps everything moving and everything right with the deans, everything at a school where we have a waiting list of students who want to come."

Ferguson also said the board has had many major donors and alumni send communications expressing support for Simon and what the trustees are trying to do.

"The young ladies who have been wronged by this person, I think that … they will ... you can never use money to completely make over people’s pain and suffering, but there’s going to be something happening in their favor," he said. "I think that when people find out that this person was on an island by himself, i think they’ll move on, we’ll keep the university moving and I think with the president, we have. She’ll continue to do a great job."

Ferguson also laughed at the idea of the NCAA investigating MSU.

"This is not Penn State," he said, referring to the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal from several years ago. "They were dealing with their football program. ... They're smart enough to know they're not competent to walk in here on this."

A resignation of even the university president is meaningless. Ferguson's attitude is perfectly illustrative of a problem that goes way, way loving beyond whoever happens to be sitting in the big chair at a given time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

Burn it all down.

I'm with Phanatic on this one, fire is the only real cleanser I can see working.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Yeah that's fair. These victims were literal children at the time....

gently caress everything about this (including the shitfucks online focusing on how *lovely* the judge was)

Memento posted:

I'm with Phanatic on this one, fire is the only real cleanser I can see working.

Organized sports are an absolute loving plague on academia and very probably on all of society as a whole. Ya I'm a nerd hurf durf but seriously, every time I see some horribly toxic poo poo online and decide to see what other topics the poster follows, it's always a loving raving football lunatic (or a shut in gamer, that's a cesspool too). Sure, maybe I'm just insanely biased and bitter but either way gently caress diehard sports fans

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 03:06 on Jan 25, 2018

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Negrostrike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEsHD0yc9sM

She tried to injure herself in the head so she wouldn't go to Karolyi Ranch. :psyduck:

High time they closed that shithole. gently caress not only Nassar but all the staff there who also abused the girls.

I watched a bunch of these today, and they all brought me to tears. I'd say that I hope this testimony was played on a loop in whatever hole they throw him in, but he'd probably get enjoyment out of it.

I hope this fucker lives for exactly 175 more years just so he has to serve every second of this sentence.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ariong posted:

I am going to change my diet, start exercising, and take vitamins to make absolutely sure that I live to hear the news that this dude has died.

I doubt you'll have to wait long. My guess is he commits suicide within the next 12-18 months.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Phanatic posted:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2018/01/23/larry-nassar-scandal-joe-ferguson/1057931001/

A resignation of even the university president is meaningless. Ferguson's attitude is perfectly illustrative of a problem that goes way, way loving beyond whoever happens to be sitting in the big chair at a given time.

Yeah, I mean MSU's basketball coach Tom Izzo is well known for always getting his players out of any sort of issue like DUIs or Domestic Violence because all he literally cares about is willing basketball. And he's repeatedly lauded for this, it's one of his major selling points and gets donors to turn out in droves. Burn down the NCAA and the MSU leadership, and the USOC just for good measure.

Scruff McGruff has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Jan 25, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that's fair. These victims were literal children at the time....

gently caress everything about this (including the shitfucks online focusing on how *lovely* the judge was)

Organized sports are an absolute loving plague on academia and very probably on all of society as a whole. Ya I'm a nerd hurf durf but seriously, every time I see some horribly toxic poo poo online and decide to see what other topics the poster follows, it's always a loving raving football lunatic (or a shut in gamer, that's a cesspool too). Sure, maybe I'm just insanely biased and bitter but either way gently caress diehard sports fans

Its about both ethics in sports ball and my switch. Imo

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qOMpjicGs

Grown men trying and failing to use a ski lift

That's some high quality freude right there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Our university (california public system) police are actual city cops with tasers and guns and everything, just a special detachment deployed to the campus, and I would still much rather call the police-police than the campus cops if I was concerned about any kind of abuse being committed by someone employed by the university.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sagebrush posted:

Our university (california public system) police are actual city cops with tasers and guns and everything, just a special detachment deployed to the campus, and I would still much rather call the police-police than the campus cops if I was concerned about any kind of abuse being committed by someone employed by the university.

Where does 911 switch to? I’ve never called on campus.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
As much as it might bother some athletes and as much as it might seem overly harsh to some, the IOC needs to go nuclear here. They need to suck it up, forget about money and prestige and do the right thing.
USA Gymnastics needs to be banned from the next Olympic Games.
Not should, needs.
Call it retroactive punishment, call it whatever you want, but it's more than apparent that an entire Olympic organization has been fostering horrific levels of abuse on so many levels that the entire thing needs to go away. Just be completely dissolved and rebuilt with new people, top to bottom.
Nassar, the Karolyi ranch, covering up the entire thing from the lowest levels to the hyper elite?
Let the athletes compete under the Olympic banner. Let them win gold there.
If you can ban an entire country for meldonium, you can do the same for a country that fostered and protected sexual abuse.
As someone else said, burn it to the ground.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Burt Sexual posted:

Where does 911 switch to? I’ve never called on campus.

On our campus 911 is 911, but the dispatcher will apparently just transfer you right back to the campus police department unless you're reporting like a terrorist attack or something.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
correect me if I'm wrong but do regular city cops even have jurisdiction on campus? I was under the impression that no, they wouldn't bother loving with anything within that radius as a rule of thumb

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
You go girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msyf4c5x7EY

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Phanatic posted:

The part from Ferguson which is terribly illuminating and wholly infuriating is the part where he says that Simon isn't "going to get ran out of there by what somebody else did." Simon got ran out specifically because of something she didn't do. There is no way she didn't know about Nassar. She knew, and she did nothing. Lou Anna Simon is a coward, and I hope that her legacy and accolades are torched. She's not fit to be remembered as the woman who helped raise MSU, because she did so by allowing so many girls and young women to be victimised. I might actually respect Simon less than I do Nassar, because she allowed this to happen to safeguard her prestige and her university's honour.

Inco has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jan 25, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KingSlime posted:

correect me if I'm wrong but do regular city cops even have jurisdiction on campus? I was under the impression that no, they wouldn't bother loving with anything within that radius as a rule of thumb

That's like saying State cops don't have jurisdiction in <local county>

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh yeah, I guess that dynamic only works the other way around (it gets tricky for campus cops when operating outside their jurisdiction according to the 30 seconds I spent on google)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They typically don't without being invited by the county sheriff. For most states their duties are highways and interstates, protection and body guard details of state officials, investigative resources for local law enforcement, and serving areas with little or no police presence.

In some states they may investigate wrong-doing of a sheriff or local police department, but a state may have separate SBI for that or have the FBI for any civil rights cases.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Eat the rich (with mother of pearl sporks)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/01/24/michigan-state-larry-nassar-simon/1060159001/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wasabi the J posted:

Eat the rich (with mother of pearl sporks)

I took this from the GBS trump thread... Ahem

"The Guillotines wont be made out of plastic, bitch."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They will be ecologically-sustainable compressed soy.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Getting some username/post dissonance here.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

It's nice that all the poo poo I learned about nuance and understanding and how there's two sides to everything is crumbling as I learn more and more about the world and the people who inhabit it

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
On the one hand, eat the rich, but on the other hand lmao at Trump's hotel catering his own inauguration party like it's a bake sale.

Put them side-by-side on the wall imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Doesn't exist any more. Any more data?