Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Spiderman defeats Octopus Man with the power of love, he's a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
So are we doing "Not My Spider-Man" ironically or...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I gave the Schumacher Batman films a bad rap because they weren't the Batman films I wanted them to be. Now that we'd had four grim and serious Batman films and a bevy of animated films of varying tone and quality, I'm better able to appreciate them on their own merits.

I rewatched them recently, and the biggest flaw in both is that they just...kind of happen. A thing happens, and then a thing happens, and this other thing is also happening over here, and nothing really ties it all together. They're not convoluted; the films aren't hard to follow. But each film is a pile of scenes in search of a story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The biggest flaw in both is that reverse footage shot of Robin going back under the water. What the gently caress was the editing room thinking on that one?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Nope. Spider-man is actually a smart social kid, tobey is the opposite of this the entire series. The only reason he talks to people outside his circle is because they fall in love with the suit. He can't even beat doc Ock without ock killing himself. Actual Spider-Man would use his wits to create something or just plain out smart him. Raimi is fine having doc Ock just by chance put this guard down, and not having Spider-Man do his part to earn the win.

Clooney Bruce Wayne was more Superman and less Playboy billionaire.

Spider Man doesn’t exist and he’s been portrayed differently by the countless people who’ve written him.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

So are we doing "Not My Spider-Man" ironically or...
Nerds have been having this debate for over 15 years since the Raimi movies had Spiderman have biological webbing rather than him inventing his own thing.

They should grow up and admit the truth; The Raimi movies are the one true canon.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

sponges posted:

Spider Man doesn’t exist and he’s been portrayed differently by the countless people who’ve written him.

Agreed, and raimi's is the outlier. The not my Superman claims were funny because all their complaints were actually on screen or answered, raimi spider-man doesn't attempt to be the same character outside of aesthetic. Besides that, Spider-Man 2 ends on an unearned moment that doesn't even regard the characters in the film as they are.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Spiderman defeats Octopus Man with the power of love, he's a good guy.

Spiderman uses an opportunity given to him by the writers to reprogram ock. Ocks arms go from omniscient to ineffectual in a blink, just really lazy.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 26, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best Spider-Man was Ryan Reynolds in the opening of Just Friends.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Best bit is when Mary Jane ran past the Punisher in SM2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
He incapacitates Doc Ock using his own science against him and then convinces Octavius that he's not actually evil and saves the day. But he's definitely not Spider-Man.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The biggest flaw in both is the Chris O'Donnell performing extreme laundry drying action scene in Batman Forever.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
sorry folks, the science is in, Marvel movies are better than DC movies, this is absolutely an argument that people are going to make, so I thought I'd give you the heads up

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/marvel-tops-dc-at-the-box-office-because-fans-emotionally-connect-with-its-characters-study-shows/

quote:

ZappiStore tested a number of DC and Marvel movie trailers to measure viewer emotional engagement and find out which elements impacted performance of the trailers, including how much the respondents “loved” the trailer, how well the trailer grabbed their attention, and how likely respondents were to share the trailer on social media.

ZappiStore says the data shows the DC trailers received a positive response from their special effects and explosive action, rather than from their characters. However, fans show a strong affinity toward Marvel’s superheroes and react positively toward its trailers’ humor, driving the higher levels of emotional engagement with its trailers.

A strong example is Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer. It resonated the strongest with respondents, with the study finding 78 percent of viewers as “lovers” of the trailer. It’s set to a popular song (in this case the 1977 Fleetwood Mac classic The Chain), and features entertaining characters making wisecracks. There’s something here that attracts comic and non-comic book fans alike. And there’s still plenty of action.

Following Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in the “lovers” category, was Marvel’s Avengers: Civil War, with 75 percent of respondents “loving” the trailer.

Both Marvel trailers were ahead of DC in this “lovers” index, with DC’s The Justice League coming in at 71 percent and Batman vs. Superman trailing at 60 percent.

Marvel trailers also index higher on the “brand linkage” score (how well they fit with a respondent’s image of the comics), indicating that inconsistent DC character connections could be having a negative effect on the audience’s emotional engagement with its trailers.

The Marvel trailers also led DC in regards to how well the trailer grabs attention and the degree to which respondents would share the advertisements with others.

The data ZappiStore received from the test not only indicates why Marvel consistently beats DC at the box office, but also offers an insight into brand consistency and messaging in entertainment advertising. ZappiStore’s study shows that although set pieces, explosions and special effects in DC movie trailers do cause an uplift on the trailer success metrics, it’s Marvel’s consistency with brand affinity and character connection that drives a far higher level of emotional engagement and beats DC across all metrics.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is no Marvel's Avengers: Civil War

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

ElNarez posted:

sorry folks, the science is in, Marvel movies are better than DC movies, this is absolutely an argument that people are going to make, so I thought I'd give you the heads up

http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/marvel-tops-dc-at-the-box-office-because-fans-emotionally-connect-with-its-characters-study-shows/

Cognitive literary theory ain't good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The biggest flaw in both is that reverse footage shot of Robin going back under the water. What the gently caress was the editing room thinking on that one?

Neo Rasa posted:

The biggest flaw in both is the Chris O'Donnell performing extreme laundry drying action scene in Batman Forever.

Some aspect of these films can only be explained in terms of Schumacher's apparent fascination with wet young men.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There is no Marvel's Avengers: Civil War

That's just accurate branding.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Yes, let's not forget that RDJ was a huge leap of faith for the movie back then, he was just the druggie coming back via mel Gibson insurance. Now we're just pulling any old celeb who kind of looks like them. There last great casting was probably the guardians. Bautista, Gilliam and Diesel are inspired choices. Bradley cooper forgets what voice he was using between movies, he sounds so strained in 2.

I always thought that Cooper's work just wasn't...intergrated with everyone else. It really sticks out, and you can tell that he wasn't there on the day and that it's people reacting to a tennis ball voiced by a guy miles away.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think I gave the Schumacher Batman films a bad rap because they weren't the Batman films I wanted them to be. Now that we'd had four grim and serious Batman films and a bevy of animated films of varying tone and quality, I'm better able to appreciate them on their own merits.

I rewatched them recently, and the biggest flaw in both is that they just...kind of happen. A thing happens, and then a thing happens, and this other thing is also happening over here, and nothing really ties it all together. They're not convoluted; the films aren't hard to follow. But each film is a pile of scenes in search of a story.

The best explanation for them I've found is that they are the movies about Batman made in the universe of the first two movies.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 27, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I always thought that Cooper's work just wasn't...intergrated with everyone else. It really sticks out, and you can tell that he wasn't there on the day and that it's people reacting to a tennis ball voiced by a guy miles away.

I loved him in the first Guardians movie but got this exact same feeling while watching the sequel. You can tell they put a lot more work into getting an actual performance out of Rocket's CG and the voice acting in the first one. Not to say the CG in 2 is bad but a lot of times Rocket is just sort like, around or he's very separated from everyone or he's stationary is a talking head.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I loved him in the first Guardians movie but got this exact same feeling while watching the sequel. You can tell they put a lot more work into getting an actual performance out of Rocket's CG and the voice acting in the first one. Not to say the CG in 2 is bad but a lot of times Rocket is just sort like, around or he's very separated from everyone or he's stationary is a talking head.

I honestly felt like that about the first one. There's a cadence and rythmn to movies, and RR just felt like his was different. I think it's just the product of so much of performance, by necessity, taking place in a different space to everyone else's.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Corrosion posted:

There's something sickening about that whole field that I just can't put into words.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bradley Cooper's voice work is the second best thing about the GotG movies.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I Before E posted:

There's something sickening about that whole field that I just can't put into words.

It comes from the same perspective that emotions aren't real because they can be triggered by neurochemical reactions, or there's no such thing as altruism since a plausible evolutionary biological explanation exists for the development of self-sacrificial behavior. In other words, that explaining the underlying quantitative mechanism of a phenomenon is as good as explaining it away, and sweeping aside the indelible qualia of the human experience is a good and laudable goal of scientific inquiry.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

sassassin posted:

Bradley Cooper's voice work is the second best thing about the GotG movies.

Is it? What's the first?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bushisms.txt posted:

Is it? What's the first?

They're over haha

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

sassassin posted:

They're over haha

I wish I could share in your great dunk but

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy/feature/a829022/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-trailer-cast-release-date/

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bored during gotg 2

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ElNarez posted:

“Viewer emotional engagement to trailers”

Imagine thinking this metric meant anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

“Viewer emotional engagement to trailers”

Imagine thinking this metric meant anything.

:laffo: if that mattered the canonical objective best comic book movie ever made would be Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I Before E posted:

A cognitive theorist came in to a class I took while still in University and said that we should "Read Nick Carraway in The Great Gatsby based on the line “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.'" Like as a rule for engaging the book, and its characters' minds.

That whole field, like I think some things are true only in so far as "It's true people think this means something." I think people conceive of characters as continuing, but typically it's based on that whole "lived in"/emotional engagement poo poo. I really wish I had the words, too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corrosion posted:

I think it’s actually a great idea. Accelerate this poo poo. I’m talking live encephalograms streamed directly to social media and aggregated, eliminating the need for primitive comments sections or ‘like/dislike’ buttons. Real-time tracking of subconscious ‘likes’ on a nanosecond by nanosecond basis. Pink Spiderman Prank Elsa Poop Needle Feet neurochemically proven as the pinnacle of artistic achievement. Taco Bell wins the franchise wars.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think it’s actually a great idea. Accelerate this poo poo. I’m talking live encephalograms streamed directly to social media and aggregated, eliminating the need for primitive comments sections or ‘like/dislike’ buttons. Real-time tracking of subconscious ‘likes’ on a nanosecond by nanosecond basis. Pink Spiderman Prank Elsa Poop Needle Feet neurochemically proven as the pinnacle of artistic achievement. Taco Bell wins the franchise wars.

Should I be more aware of what Demolition Man means to the punch line though?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ElNarez posted:

tfw so into these comic franchise wars you start huffing farts and thinking things like "cinematography is overrated" and "Captain America is my friend"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Corrosion posted:

Taco Bell will win the franchise wars, so all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Corrosion posted:

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Actually true and actually accurate. Glad you fixed your face.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Found our official uniform.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2072588442983984&id=1683227221920110

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Feeling clean rad and powerful deadlifting in my <3 Zack Snyder tankie

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrVenkman posted:

So, this blind item. It's easy to see that they're talking about WB/DC. But any idea who they're referring to?

Also, they're desperate to give Christian Bale an enormous payday if he'll come back as Batman. The only 'family' I can think of would be Christopher and Jonathan Nolan.

Going back to this because I just found this

Joss, Jed and Zack Whedon

WHY

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

That family gave them Snyder so none of that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

That family gave them Snyder so none of that makes sense.

What lunatic would interpret the Snyder films as opposing "more realistic-themed movies" and being "for kids" in this dichotomy.