Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bajorans as a whole stop showing up as much in the third season and become almost a non-entity by season 4. There's still episodes that bring up stuff that surrounded the Bajorans, the occupation and the "Terek Nor" days for example, but for the most part its focus isn't on the Bajorans but on the main characters. I can think of a few episodes that do concentrate specifically on Bajor after season 4 but they can probably be counted on one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TheCenturion posted:

Genesis flat-out didn't work as advertised. It's possible that, down the road, it could, but most likely not. But from an 'ongoing story' standpoint, they couldn't have had Genesis be usable, or there'd be no way to explain why people aren't using it all over the drat place. For example: 'we can transport across interstellar distances now' or 'why haven't we hooked the Botany Bay survivors up to constant blood extraction devices' from Star Trek: Into Darkness.

That said, if the Movie Era Klingons, or Khan for that matter, had gotten their hands on even the flawed version, it'd make for one hell of a bomb.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just eliminate the "remake in the form of its new matrix" part of Genesis and call it the Revelation Device

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

The Genesis bomb sounds much faster and more reliable.

You know, DID they ever use it as a terraforming tool? It seems like a tactical Genesis device would be a great help in repairing a badly damaged planet or turning a shithole planet into a decent one.

Even Harve Bennett's "oh poo poo, this is an ongoing franchise now, we need to write this sucker out of the setting" aside, I think there's a compelling case to be made that Genesis is truly lost technology. With one exception, every scientist who worked on it is dead, the lone survivor almost assuredly has no interest in trying again, all of the test data was erased, the prototype was used up, the planet it created exploded, a specially tasked starship spent several months unable to find a planet meeting the scientific and ethical requirements for the project, AND to top it all off the public revelation of the project caused a massive interstellar uproar and nearly provoked an arms race with at least one major adversary.

With all of that in mind, it's totally unsurprising that the Federation never tried again, and it's possible that nobody else was willing to spend the resources or was ever able to figure it out themselves.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There were some books ages ago where some people (I forget who now) stole the Genesis tech from Carol Marcus and blew up a bunch of planets with a worse version of the Genesis device

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember a TNG book series from the early 2000s that had a race of moss shapeshifters genesis-nuking the whole quadrant. The books also had a moss-Riker who had his cover blown when Troi has an allergic reaction to his moss, and Leah Brahm’s husband conveniently die to make way for Geordi. You couldn’t step into a Barnes and Noble for years without tripping over huge stacks of them on clearance.

Efb; This was it

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were some books ages ago where some people (I forget who now) stole the Genesis tech from Carol Marcus and blew up a bunch of planets with a worse version of the Genesis device

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The graduation mission in Klingon Academy was an all-out assault on Earth. You're assigned as a reserve element, responding to calls about an experimental Starfleet battleship wrecking the force assigned to wipe out the Mars shipyards, assisting an outnumbered force dealing with... I don't remember what, and then at the end you get a call about a Federation cruiser wrecking a group of frigates that are carrying a payload to Earth.

The cruiser is the Enterprise. The frigates are carrying Genesis torpedoes.

It was pretty awesome.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

jng2058 posted:

That said, if the Movie Era Klingons, or Khan for that matter, had gotten their hands on even the flawed version, it'd make for one hell of a bomb.

Sure, but they’ve all already got the technology and wherewithal to glass planets. Genesis probably doesn’t even make it much quicker.

No, the only fancy part about Genesis was that it left usable territory.

Edit: One of the perfectly plausible answers to the Fermi Paradox is 'They all blew up. Any civilization capable of interplanetary travel, even at sublight speeds, is more than capable of casually depopulating planets as a means of war.'

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 26, 2018

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Besides, weaponized nanites would be so much easier to implement. Grey goo the population and rebuild you some fancy space cows and orange trees.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think u man interstellar

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

McNally posted:

The graduation mission in Klingon Academy was an all-out assault on Earth. You're assigned as a reserve element, responding to calls about an experimental Starfleet battleship wrecking the force assigned to wipe out the Mars shipyards, assisting an outnumbered force dealing with... I don't remember what, and then at the end you get a call about a Federation cruiser wrecking a group of frigates that are carrying a payload to Earth.

It was pretty awesome.

We should get a Star Trek show from the perspective of an alien race, maybe extragalactic, studying the Alpha Quadrant surreptitiously and make it basically the "humans are the Doc Browns of the galaxy" meme, where every week they hear about some Starfleet ship encountering weird phenomena and go follow it to see the aftermath.

Like space NCIS as they investigate the incidents to find out what happened and how the Starfleet crew used technobabble to save themselves and destroy an absurdly powerful ancient artifact, or whatever. Every week they go from :stare: to :eyepop: to :psypop: as they realize they're in way over their heads.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 27, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We should get a Star Trek show from the perspective of an alien race, maybe extragalactic, studying the Alpha Quadrant surreptitiously and make it basically the "humans are the Doc Browns of the galaxy" meme, where every week they hear about some Starfleet ship encountering weird phenomena and go follow it to see the aftermath.

Like space NCIS as they investigate the incidents to find out what happened and how the Starfleet crew used technobabble to save themselves and destroy an absurdly powerful ancient artifact, or whatever. Every week they go from :stare: to :eyepop: to :psypop: as they realize they're in way over their heads.

I like to think this is what those weird dream aliens from DS9 If Wishes Were Horses were up to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

McNally posted:

It was pretty awesome.

I like to imagine that at that point, the Klingons just used the Enterprise as their own Kobayashi Maru in simulations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

If any of the Enterprise celebrated its victories like the Klingons did, the song would literally never end, probably due to a time loop though

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I like to imagine that at that point, the Klingons just used the Enterprise as their own Kobayashi Maru in simulations.

Here was the final part of the Klingonashi Maru test of K'mar Bohkh, the all-time record holder for the high score of this unwinnable test:

"Sir, High Command has confirmed that the Enterprise is... I... I don't believe..."

"Go on, Simulation Officer."

"... We have the Enterprise surrounded by 97 Birds of Prey. Her shields and weapons are offline. Warp core has been neutralized and all other engines have been destroyed."

"May Kahless bless this day, for I, K'mar, of the house Bohkh, have beaten the unbeatable--"

"Sir... the captain of the Enterprise has contacted our High Command...."

"You mean Kirk is going to surrender to me? I will not take him prisoner!! I will--"

"No... he's hailed a building at Ty'Gokor... he's talking to the central computer at Klingon Defense Force Headquarters...."

"What?"

"Sir... our self-destruct system has been activated. Every ship in the fleet is about to explode, as is every KDF installation! The computer is committing suicide and taking us with it!!"

End of simulation

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nessus posted:

It won't do us any favors, but a lot of these scenarios depend on a straight extrapolation of present trends, which are not always actually reliable indicators since other poo poo happens. For instance, the famine guys would've probably been right IF for some reason it was impossible to meaningfully improve agricultural yields over those of the 60s.

Thank God for Quadrotriticale. :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nobody mentioned that Rachel on Rachel watches star trek is played by rose Leslie

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Cythereal posted:

I like to think this is what those weird dream aliens from DS9 If Wishes Were Horses were up to.

Its what the Organisms do.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Thank God for Quadrotriticale. :allears:

The what, the what?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How the hell did Tasha Yar get into Starfleet Academy? We saw in that episode with Wesley and the blue dude that they only accept the very highest scoring nerds. If Tasha spent her whole life running from rape gangs and scavenging for cat food, how the hell could she be in a top percentile in warp physics or neutronium engineering?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Delthalaz posted:

How the hell did Tasha Yar get into Starfleet Academy? We saw in that episode with Wesley and the blue dude that they only accept the very highest scoring nerds. If Tasha spent her whole life running from rape gangs and scavenging for cat food, how the hell could she be in a top percentile in warp physics or neutronium engineering?

She aced the physical test by out running every man on the field

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

The final question on the entrance exam is a trick question (given this massive set of variables, what's the proper matter-antimatter intermix ratio for a perfect reaction -- the answer is always 1:1, since anything else will leave stray matter or antimatter and result in, best case scenario, random deuterium-deuterium fusion interactions). I suspect Starfleet actually uses parts of the exam to weed out the turboautists and would rather have people who can critically think their way through poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My working assumption was that this happened to every general exploration ship. (Cataloguing gaseous anomalies? Well, that might get you a couple of weird events.) The Enterprises were remarkable for surviving.

The Cardassians probably holed up because they realized there was too much bullshit out there. Ditto the Romulans. I like to think the Klingons just rolled with it while laughing heartily, though. The Klingons had many flaws but they never seemed xenophobic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SpeakSlow posted:

Besides, weaponized nanites would be so much easier to implement. Grey goo the population and rebuild you some fancy space cows and orange trees.

Instant Weed planet!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delthalaz posted:

loving affirmative action quotas for rape planet escapees. Blame the libs. :rolleyes:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

My working assumption was that this happened to every general exploration ship. (Cataloguing gaseous anomalies? Well, that might get you a couple of weird events.) The Enterprises were remarkable for surviving.

The Cardassians probably holed up because they realized there was too much bullshit out there. Ditto the Romulans. I like to think the Klingons just rolled with it while laughing heartily, though. The Klingons had many flaws but they never seemed xenophobic.

Given that DS9's Defiant only went out when needed, generally on purely military missions, and still managed to find a planet that phased in and out of reality, accidentally sent three crew-members back in time several hundred years in a transporter accident, and had to deal with a paradoxical colony inhabited by their descendants... yeah, you gotta assume there's a lot of space bullshit out there.

Diane Duane's old Romulan novels had it that something like three quarters of the original Romulan colony ships were lost to various types of space bullshit before they reached Romulus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

I have to assume that the Romulans developed their black hole propulsion system from encountering space anomalies. Sane people don't say "hey, let's use a black hole to power our ship!" Sane people who encountered weird space poo poo and decided to harness and weaponize it, on the other hand, sounds just like the Romulans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Black Holes as power sources are actually a pretty good idea, and may be more practical in reality than antimatter.

The amount of hawking radiation that a black hole gives off actually increases as it shrinks (so the rate of mass loss increases and it evaporates really fast as it gets small). So you just take a tiny black hole - say a few hundred thousand tons, the weight of a big ship and no gravitational danger - and it'll spit out a hundred or so petawatts of pure hawking radiation energy, no messing around with any of this explosive antimatter stuff. It's a convenient perfect mass/energy conversion machine. It'll be a few years before it evaporates so you can just top it up when you feel like with whatever's lying around.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 27, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

It appears that Wesley was in some advanced early admission program. He was still like 16 or something. If he's just waited a few more years there would be no crazy Highlander test. I'm sure it's prestigious to get early admission and makes you a shoe in for RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I’ve got like 4 episodes left of TNG and then I’ll write up a long post of my opinions that no one cares about

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MikeJF posted:

Black Holes as power sources are actually a pretty good idea, and may be more practical in reality than antimatter.

The amount of hawking radiation that a black hole gives off actually increases as it shrinks (so the rate of mass loss increases and it evaporates really fast as it gets small). So you just take a tiny black hole - say a few hundred thousand tons, the weight of a big ship and no gravitational danger - and it'll spit out a hundred or so petawatts of pure hawking radiation energy, no messing around with any of this explosive antimatter stuff. It's a convenient perfect mass/energy conversion machine. It'll be a few years before it evaporates so you can just top it up when you feel like with whatever's lying around.

That's a really good point. No loving around with crystal reaction chambers, no magnetic bottles, and any interstellar gas or dust can be used as fuel.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Arglebargle III posted:

Nobody mentioned that Rachel on Rachel watches star trek is played by rose Leslie

I can’t remember if it was on one of the older, free comments shows or one that’s Patreon-only, but I recall a listener commented on Rachel’s ‘sexy British accent’, so she replied to his comment on the show in an over-the-top, seductive voice.

I’ll put a comment on the Patreon that she should work “You know nothing, Chris Lackey!” into the next comments show ;-)

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Angry Salami posted:

Diane Duane's old Romulan novels had it that something like three quarters of the original Romulan colony ships were lost to various types of space bullshit before they reached Romulus.

Didn't she have all the "Vulcanoid" species throughout the galaxy (like the Mintakans and a bunch of other ones who showed up in books) just be the descendants of lost Romulan colony ships during their migration?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Angry Salami posted:

The TV IV > Star Trek: Various types of space bullshit

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Man, the Crossfield bugs me in STO. It just doesn't look like it belongs in the same era as the 1701, the Reliant, and the other ships of that era.

STO's home-grown TOS-era ships actually fit in pretty well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

Man, the Crossfield bugs me in STO. It just doesn't look like it belongs in the same era as the 1701, the Reliant, and the other ships of that era.

STO's home-grown TOS-era ships actually fit in pretty well.

Everything about this is bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

I’ve got like 4 episodes left of TNG and then I’ll write up a long post of my opinions that no one cares about

Soon you will be a true Trek fan.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahahahahahaha

What is even in that Hull in the bottom?

Whales, sir.

Whales... Why?

Well, somehow it got in the plans and no one could figure out who authorized it, so no one wanted to stick their neck out to alter the plans.

Do they and in 3D navigation or something because of their natural habitat?

No.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

USS Derp

The other two are okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

USS Derp

The other two are okay.

This is what happens when the admiral's "special little guy" gets to design a ship.