Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Fred Fuschia??!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh man thanks for reminding me of the Microsoft Kin

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft knocked microsoft out of the mobile market, not android

telling all of their customers and developers to gently caress off and die twice inside five years does wondrous things to your market share

if you dont think that they only did that to try to cut into androids marketshare youre crazy

if google never bothered with android thered be the iphone blackberry and winmo 6 forever because why would microsoft reinvent their wheel when the market is divided between them and two other competitors? theyd maybe try to push out blackberry but thats as high as theyd have ever aimed

apples marketshare in anything is always going to be the balance of people who are poor or self identify as power users or who dont care whether the thing works at all so whatevers cheapest and none of that requires doing anything like the failed winpho attempts

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
someone had to fill the void for China garbage phone operating systems. it was going to be Microsoft until google came along and gave out their OS for free.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft knocked microsoft out of the mobile market, not android

lol definitely not android, if it wasn’t for the iPhone, Android would look like a blackberry these days and windows mobile would still be around

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

minusX posted:

This is by design, kinda. The number of usable cores/overall cores speed slows down as it gets lower battery so it last longer. My battery life is like 5-7 hours now so it gets really annoying :( My work signal is bunk so it's never going to be good unless I airplane mode.
hmmmmmm this sounds v familiar......

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

My Linux Rig posted:

lol definitely not android, if it wasn’t for the iPhone, Android would look like a blackberry these days and windows mobile would still be around

palmos would still be around too :allears:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

palmos would still be around too :allears:

no, they would have figured out a way to go out of business no matter what

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

no, they would have figured out a way to go out of business no matter what

nah itd be palmos 5.9.9 with parallax wallpapers and itd only work with low framerate on the newest devices

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Anyone who is rooted I just wanted to let you know XPosed started working on Oreo as of about a month ago. And yesterday, GravityBox finally got ported to Oreo. This is 80% of the reason why I am rooted.

If you want to be convinced, here are some of the tweaks I use in GravityBox:

-Slide finger across the status bar to adjust brightness (I am constantly messing with brightness because I never like how auto brightness operates, and not having to block what I am looking at to adjust it is a godsend)

-Move cursor in text field entry left and right using volume keys. Anyone who has ever made a typo knows how annoying it is trying to go back to the middle of some word in a sentence and meticulously trying to get the cursor to be in the exact spot you want is impossible. Using this is like having a d-pad again

-Advanced options in power menu. Hold the power button as usual except now you are given the options of taking screen shots, quick reboot, rebooting to recovery, rebooting to bootloader, etc.

-All notifications automatically expanded (no need to click a tiny down arrow to read them)

-Hold back to force kill foreground app. Google Maps annoys me how there's no real exit button; you click back to stop navigation but it still runs. Holding the back button now force exits it.

-Tap back twice very quickly to enable/disable auto rotate

-All volume sliders shown (instead of just 1)

-Custom notification LED colors depending on contact and what kind of notification

-Repeat notification alerts for specific apps (for example, a text message) every X amount of minutes if you don't respond to it

-Day of the week in the status bar (this is a huge one for me because I work rotating shifts and having it right there all the time lets me know what day it is)

There's a million more tweaks GravityBox allows; I just named the ones I particularly love. I really recommend it and best of all, these are tweaks to the systemUI so these are not extra apps installed to your phone meaning there is zero extra ram usage and zero extra battery use because of them.

Anyway like I said gravitybox is 80% of why I refuse to buy a phone that can't be rooted so I figured someone here might be as excited as me that it finally got ported to Oreo.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That sort of stuff (crazy janitoring) is why you root

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's me, i'm the belief that the os doesn't use ram

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

goddamnit i came here to post that

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"using this is like having a d-pad again"

-the android experience in 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I’m the inability to look away from the app I’m in for half a second to adjust brightness

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"using this is like having a dad again"

-the Best Bi Geek Squid experience in 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

lol

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/956628910308982785

Never subtle

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

lol

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/956649951056064513

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the replies to the tweet though :yikes:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
antoid lol

also how much has bullnumbers spent on tech this calendar year?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/Gastove/status/957091859783757824

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it’s called navcore

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

AT&T is actually selling a dual-screen android phone

https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/axon-m.html#sku=sku8570458

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LOL so it’s not even using voice synthesis for the spoken turn by turn directions, but just prerecorded loops instead? 🤣

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

it’s called navcore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
android lets app search entire file system. what it found may surprise you!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
anroid. lol?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

it’s called navcore

love to listen to my navcore albums on shuffle, get lost in the music, really takes you new places

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m more into swedish speednav. high energy, but kind of dark too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Syncopated posted:

anroid. lol?

Anroid.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

love to listen to my navcore albums on shuffle, get lost in the music, really takes you new places

i hate you

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
bring back the word filter and make the android thread great again

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i prefer their older stuff. i dont like the direction they’re taking nowadays

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Athletic Footjob posted:

i prefer their older stuff. i dont like the direction they’re taking nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

i remember the og prototypes. iirc, it was a split between targeting feature phones w/java and the blackberry knockoff

i think the o.g. prototypes were already post-acquisition

afaik google bought that poo poo with no sign it would ever yield