Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

Is it like some yuppie version of medicine ball exercises? Dog tossing?

Edit: don't google 'dog tossing', there's way too many :smith: news articles about lovely people getting caught abusing their pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
My son is also named Uniom.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
https://twitter.com/jameswattie/status/958082303267360769

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
That's some good poo poo right there

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I hope those two don't get into too much trouble with the profession standards people (such a cool name for internal investigations)! More cops should ingest marijuana at work tbh

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurieg posted:

https://i.imgur.com/dKXq1md.mp4
Woman steals a package from someone's porch, breaks her ankle stepping off the sidewalk.

Longer video shows her escape attempt and has audio
why would they just leave the package on your porch? :psyduck:
Here in the Netherlands they just leave a note if youre not home, saying you can either pick it up at your neighbours if they were home, reschedule a delivery at a time you are home on their website, or pick it up at a local post office or store.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ekuNNN posted:

Because mail and package service in America kind of sucks! :tipshat:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

Here in the Netherlands they just leave a note if youre not home, saying you can either pick it up at your neighbours if they were home, reschedule a delivery at a time you are home on their website, or pick it up at a local post office or store.

Boy, the Netherlands in this instance sounds a lot like a 1950's TV show.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boy, the Netherlands in this instance sounds a lot like a 1950's TV show.

This is exactly what happens in Australia as well, sorry your country sucks

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Here in NZ you can get packages redirected to gas stations, supermarkets etc

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Y'all are dumb, think for two seconds here.

I don't want my neighbor getting into my bon-xbox one card...controller.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I believe you'll fnd my country is the best in the world. They couldn't put it on a t-shirt or a bumper sticker if it weren't true. :colbert:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
most of the time they're supposed to leave a note saying they attempted delivery and telling you where you can pick it up. but the delivery people don't give a poo poo and will just leave your $500 computer monitor sitting there where it can be seen from the street.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It depends, UPS will get someone to buzz them in and leave it outside my door. Fed Ex will leave a "While you were out" Sticker that I have to sign, and then leave it inside my apartment's atrium. Though I do have the option of going to their secure pickup facility, which is an hour away and closes before I get out of work. Post office can go either way, sometimes they'll leave a "This package was too big please come to the post office." note, other times they'll leave it on top of the mailbox, other times they'll buzz in and leave it in front of the door.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ekuNNN posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the drivers working to minimum wage, delivery timetables that are pretty much impossible to meet, lovely long hours, performance goals/complaint escalation processes that will gently caress them over regardless of their actions, management that cares more about volume than quality, etc etc etc

Tl;dr: :capitalism:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

uber_stoat posted:

most of the time they're supposed to leave a note saying they attempted delivery and telling you where you can pick it up. but the delivery people don't give a poo poo and will just leave your rifle and massive box of ammunition sitting there where it can be seen from the street.

TFR is full of stories of people ordering firearms that get left on the front porch and stolen. :911:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

uber_stoat posted:

most of the time they're supposed to leave a note saying they attempted delivery and telling you where you can pick it up. but the delivery people don't give a poo poo and will just leave your $500 computer monitor sitting there where it can be seen from the street.

You're lucky if that's all they do. I've had delivery guys literally just throw my box over the fence onto the driveway and leave it in the pouring rain because they didn't want to get out of their truck.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I get everything delivered to work.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

TFR is full of stories of people ordering firearms that get left on the front porch and stolen. :911:

When I worked at UPS we had a division-wide bounty for information leading to the recovery of a missing 70lb Gatling gun- Glocks are small potatoes.

Also half the time your 80 lb crate of 7.62 ammo will be shipped to a pseudonym at a nondescript motel, not a residence.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
No one delivers packages to my area anymore because it's :airquote:too risky:airquote: so I get them at the nearest post office.

LifeHack: Avoid stolen packages by living in such a lovely place they won't deliver anything to you.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

Is it like some yuppie version of medicine ball exercises? Dog tossing?

Nah people just think their dogs are animate dolls who you can manhandle into enjoying things.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Known trespasser -- Homeowners can't possibly anticipate a random burglar coming into their home. However, if there are signs of a frequent trespasser, the homeowner does have a duty to warn about known dangers on the property.

She falls under that category. Sorry.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Known trespasser -- Homeowners can't possibly anticipate a random burglar coming into their home. However, if there are signs of a frequent trespasser, the homeowner does have a duty to warn about known dangers on the property.

She falls under that category. Sorry.

How so? Is it mentioned somewhere she's been to that house before?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nuebot posted:

You're lucky if that's all they do. I've had delivery guys literally just throw my box over the fence onto the driveway and leave it in the pouring rain because they didn't want to get out of their truck.

I enjoyed my previous house which had a porch with about five steps up from lawn level to the front door.

The USPS guy would walk the whole length of the way down the driveway, up the footpath to the bottom of the steps, and then HEAVE the package (marked FRAGILE as often as not) up onto the doormat.

All on camera, this happened multiple times

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

How come that person's maid didn't get the box before that lady tried? I'd fire the maid tbqh.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Grem posted:

How come that person's maid didn't get the box before that lady tried? I'd fire the maid tbqh.

How did lady get past the gate?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ekuNNN posted:

Wow the American solution to that problem has been to allow Amazon to unlock your door any time they like.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I enjoyed my previous house which had a porch with about five steps up from lawn level to the front door.

The USPS guy would walk the whole length of the way down the driveway, up the footpath to the bottom of the steps, and then HEAVE the package (marked FRAGILE as often as not) up onto the doormat.

All on camera, this happened multiple times

That how you get to stop #320 by the time your shift ends.

I live in the boonies so poo poo gets left on my porch for hours at a time since getting to my house takes a bit and you cant see poo poo from the main dirt road. This is normally fine but I despise my local post office who doesn't even open at 8 like the normal ones in town so you can grab your order on the way to work, but opens at 10am then closes at 12-1 before closing at 5. If people aren't off that day you are hosed if you have a standard 1st shift/morning job. Whoever thought those hours were a good idea should slip on something.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the drivers working to minimum wage, delivery timetables that are pretty much impossible to meet, lovely long hours, performance goals/complaint escalation processes that will gently caress them over regardless of their actions, management that cares more about volume than quality, etc etc etc

Tl;dr: :capitalism:

You forget they are "contractors" for the company they drive for so they get extra screwed because t hey have to supply their own healthcare, do all their taxes, and most importantly assume all risk should their driving to make ends meets to kill someone.

I think I know their ceo its this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hrM2biD7g4

snergle has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Jan 30, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

She successfully sues the home owner for medical bills and damages.

Attractive menace law?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Dango Bango posted:

How so? Is it mentioned somewhere she's been to that house before?

No it doesn't. reread the article. never once does it say that 'she' has to be there before. Only that trespassers frequently go there and front porch/lawn is as frequent as you can get.
The statement was that you can't sue if a trespasser tresspasses, made by both the goon and the article. the article states otherwise right after saying that you can't sue.
will you win? who knows. if you make more than $50k a year and the case isn't thrown out, goons will probably side with the criminal stealing your medicine off the front porch because 'eat the rich' and any anyone living outside their parents basement is rich.

Trespassers sueing is a very real thing and unless your state has a law that specifically says they can't sue, expect to be sued. The issue with them filing a civil suit is that they basically admit to breaking the law. This girl can lie out her teeth and say she was at the wrong house and bla bla bla to get out of jail time or just wait until after the court case. It is much harder to do that after you bust in a door. That is why you typically see burglars suing only after they received major injuries. You can also trade a burglar's right to a civil suit for less punishment if you are truly scared.

However, assuming she doesn't lie, there is literally a line of law called enticement to trespass or trespass enticement. It means people were too greedy or stupid to not break the law and so the owner, who literally did nothing wrong, owes damages for having stuff worth stealing or playing with. Usually centered around kids floating face down in pools. Or a pool. If they are in multiple pools then there is another issue. Could a court consider easily stealable packages as enticement? Maybe, every state is different. Texas says the owner can literally shoot the trespasser as they run away the amazon box containing a dildo. NY say the trespasser can literally take or do whatever they want if you try and stop them you committed a crime. Duty to retreat is a bitch and I truly do hope the cops beat the national average response time of 15 minutes and you have the ability to call them.

If there is a law saying they can't sue, they can still sue and you get to pay a lawyer thousands of dollars to get it thrown out in court. Similar to the Colorado movie theater lawsuit where two or three families had to pay something like $300k in lawyer bills to the theater because they illegally sued. On top of having some newly dead relatives. Hope they kept some of the life insurance money.
But someone stealing packages off the front porch doesn't have a lot to countersue for. I'm willing to bet. Maybe that car?

The good is that there are legal co-ops things, called comprehensive legal protection, more similar to how unions work than actual insurance, that are designed to cover lawyer and court fees for self defence and sometimes B&E.
For actual payouts, through, your insurance umbrella policy will cover the trespasser slipping on wet due while stealing your cancer meds. Just get an umbrella policy and let the insurance company counter or fight the suit. Unless you really need those meds. Or dildos.

It is all a matter of how much they are willing to risk for the chance at easy money. But my advice is that people like this are loving stupid so expect to get sued.

And Liar Liar w/ Jim Carrey, so Hollywood, made the burglar suing homeowner concept popular.

It is a VERY nice dildo and i'll be damned if someone isn't penetrated because of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I kind of don't mind having them leave it on my porch. Sure there's a risk of theft but if they leave a note instead then I have to go pick it up, taking up more time - chances are I won't get it that day by the time I see the note and depending on my work schedule it could be several days.

Of course I'll use Amazon locker if applicable so I can grab it on fit easy back from work. But other than that, it just seems like the alternatives are more inconvenient short of installing a secure delivery chute or something on your porch.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Lawmaker feels bad that he's getting poo poo for proposing it be illegal in California to offer plastic straws unprompted.

Dude's heart is kinda in the right place, environmentally, but c'mon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samizdata posted:

Attractive menace law?

Do you mean attractive nuisance?

Only applies to children and many states have abolished them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah, nuisance. And I did NOT know that. Cheers.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

They've abolished children? :ohdear:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The only problems I’ve had with packages left by my front door have been foodstuffs - invaded by sugar ants, and squirrels.

This morning, the loving tree rats ate through the outer cardboard box, then the inner box, and made off with a pound of candy I bought as a gift. Within an hour of the package being left. They completely destroyed the mailing label; I wrote to the sender to get the info on whether it was UPS or USPS.

Since we’re now getting all prescriptions by mail, I’ll be installing some kind of box shortly.

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Jan 30, 2018

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/zyxgkSv.gifv

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're a bad poster and you should feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised that despite being directly across the street from a high school I've never had a package stolen but a co-worker of mine that lives a few blocks from me has to have all his packages delivered to the office because so much gets stolen from his porch. With the increasing prevalence of doorbell cameras and inexpensive/wireless surveillance cameras there's been a lot more videos hitting the web of it occurring. Now I want to go rewatch that video series that one guy put on of all the crazy poo poo from his neighbors he caught on his home surveillance cameras culminating in someone being chased around with a baseball bat IIRC.

Fake Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqA276KEbc8 It's even crazier than I remember.

Jesus christ I don't think I could stay sane living on the same street as these people.