Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

the long, slow collapse of Shroud of the Avatar has begun, all over RMT poo poo, of course

You're a bigger tease than Derek, where is the link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

AlbieQuirky posted:

drat, I was busy all day and missed some good slapfighting.

Derek, did you really look up Chris and Sandi's second marriage certificate? That's impressive in a way. I'm surprised anyone in the year of our lord whenever they got remarried could be bothered to maintain a married name and a stage name (even if it is her birth name), but I guess Our Sandi was the best at all this stuff ever since she was a little girl? It's very 1933.

Now I am picturing Sandi at the end of A Star Is Born, coming up to the CitCon microphone after Chris's tragic demise, and huskily emoting, "Hello, Germany. This is...MRS. CHRISTOPHER ROBERTS."

If she's a member of the Screen Actor's Guild that might have something to do with it. If I remember correctly there can't be active members with the same name or it is a hassle to change names once registered or something like that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

grimcreaper posted:

Needs more details.

You're one to talk :v:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

hoo hoo hoo ya whoah did ehp did eh woh did ol goons

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, I haven't been paying attention to the reddit for a while since it's just the same bunch of guys telling stuff they made up to each other but I got curious and, well...

... yeah

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

trucutru posted:

You know, I haven't been paying attention to the reddit for a while since it's just the same bunch of guys telling stuff they made up to each other but I got curious and, well...

... yeah

Anything you want, yeah sure, it's in there, don't even worry about it.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

No that was a different person in a wheelchair that Derek doxxed

I think the total so far is 23...

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat.

That's why you're surreptitiously refereed to as the edgelord.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I guess Aslan just knighted that dog, eh?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Hey, my copy of How it Works.pdf has this pic on page 27, not 29.
Is there another, _bigger_ edition that I missed?
(The whole document is actually 23 pages, nvm that.)

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Meridian posted:

Anything you want, yeah sure, it's in there, don't even worry about it.

more or less.

Usually less

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

The Titanic posted:

You hit the nail so hard on the head it came out in Australia and forced ET to touch the penis shaped mushroom while he was in that time zone.

Whilst your in that zone, open up photoshop and let your mind wander.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVLUO2yuE5E

This will be a golden age when we look back.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

That looks awful. Is it a bad shop?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

No way thats real

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

nothing says teamkilling like this does.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BY YOUR COMMAND

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

You just need to layer on the tophat

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

there's plenty of room underneath for the snoopy cap

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Missing the monocle.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

MedicineHut posted:

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

(it's an Asp, not an ASP)

I see that Vulture in Sag A* and raise it with...

Congratulations, Commanders!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Blue On Blue posted:

When is that high level backer dinner they were selling tickets for?

I expect that will provide at least an hour of laughs

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Golli posted:

more or less.

Usually less

When it comes to gameplay, there’s always less and it’s always worse.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Of course they do the dinner on Star Wars day...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I am so excited for this game to come out later in 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
it's gonna be real good

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Renegret posted:

I am so excited for this game to come out later in 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018

Same.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

orcane posted:

Okay.

You know, I had only one major problem with this game and that was CR"s inability to give us dates that were connected to reality. They told us long ago that they wanted to begin development with us on board and that we'd be with them through the process. Hearing how games are made and often take 5-10 years for anything with huge scope, we could have easily calibrated our expectations for that if they'd just been open about it early on.

But you don't get money by saying it could be a decade long process so they didn't. I am okay with suggesting that the initially pitched and planned game was more of a 3-4 year development game and they've expanded from there quite significantly which cost them a couple years of trashing everything and reorganizing into a bigger company to make a bigger game, but I also understand finding that utter bullshit and not at all what you backed.

Okay, again.

When it was pitched and people were laughing about how it would launch in 2020 and giggling about how stupid we were for supporting it, I used to say that's fine. I'd like to think we could see launch by 2017 because CR is full of poo poo and we should expect delays but even if it only launches in 2020 I'd be fine with that... and you know what? I still am fine with that.

Now, when they've given us a more realistic look at timelines with giant warnings that things will slip? I'm loving pleased. I'm FINE with waiting, and more importantly, I'm god drat ecstatic that expectations are being handled like we're loving morons and we are being told things with dates that make sense.

More than 5 years in early access? Sure. I'm okay with this.

Finally setting expectations properly? HIP HIP HOORAY and poo poo.

Oh and spoiler, game probably won't launch till 2022. If it's earlier, sweet. I'm setting my old prediction of 2019 up by 3 years for giggles so when it inevitably slips to 2020 and then 2021 I won't be disappointed. For a group of supposedly bitter vets, maybe we should all set our expectations at, "It won't launch at all" and work our way up from there rather than this retarded LOL SC STILL poo poo LOLOLOL poo poo we pretend is discussion here.

So you are sending the message to the game industry that it is fine to lie, over-promise and sell dreams. Meanwhile, honnest indie developers, who are only selling what they truely believe they can deliver, get no money.

Honnesty doesn't pay.

Good job sir !

And if you ever bought the "evil publishers" narrative, that also makes you an hypocrit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still think my all time favorite part of the Star Citizen thread experience was the day we first discovered AdzAdama and his artwork. God bless that lunatic.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Tortolia posted:

I still think my all time favorite part of the Star Citizen thread experience was the day we first discovered AdzAdama and his artwork. God bless that lunatic.

Keeps me coming back to the thread every time.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nyast posted:

So you are sending the message to the game industry that it is fine to lie, over-promise and sell dreams. Meanwhile, honnest indie developers, who are only selling what they truely believe they can deliver, get no money.

Honnesty doesn't pay.

Good job sir !

And if you ever bought the "evil publishers" narrative, that also makes you an hypocrit.

Let's look at a much, much simpler game as an example: Factorio.

Factorio started development in 2012, and went early access in 2014. It's probably going to reach 1.0 some time this year, giving 6 years total development.

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game, with very few mechanics. Larger and more complex projects always take more time regardless of how many people work on them; significant parts of development are inherently serial & cannot be sped up for any amount of money.

I'd expect the kickstarter version of SC to take around 6-8 years to produce, and the current scope-crept version to take 8-12 depending on what gets cut. If they cut almost everything out and rush as much as possible they could probably release a decent game in late 2019. They won't do that, so I expect something on the upper range of the timescale, more in the 2022-2024 range. Perhaps later, if they keep scope creeping.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nyast posted:

Honnesty doesn't pay.

Good job sir !

I think he was doing that thing where you say one thing but mean the opposite.
Like saying "This hot tub is cool" as you settle into the 104F water.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

:five::five::five:

ps: Anything that comes my way via leaks from this lawsuit, I'm sharing it because backers deserve to know. :colbert:

I just hope those leaks are not the kind you can quote the poo poo out of :negative:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

orcane posted:

Let's look at a much, much simpler game as an example: Factorio.

Factorio started development in 2012, and went early access in 2014. It's probably going to reach 1.0 some time this year, giving 6 years total development.

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game, with very few mechanics. Larger and more complex projects always take more time regardless of how many people work on them; significant parts of development are inherently serial & cannot be sped up for any amount of money.

I'd expect the kickstarter version of SC to take around 6-8 years to produce, and the current scope-crept version to take 8-12 depending on what gets cut. If they cut almost everything out and rush as much as possible they could probably release a decent game in late 2019. They won't do that, so I expect something on the upper range of the timescale, more in the 2022-2024 range. Perhaps later, if they keep scope creeping.

Factorio has a grand total of 17 devs. Plus I'm pretty sure most of them are newish additions.

And it's 17 people who know what they're doing.

It was also playable, stable, and, you know, fun, starting from day one.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 31, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And it only costs $20.

Everyone needs to play Factorio.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

orcane posted:

Now consider that Factorio is a very simple 2D game,

lol

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

This is double lol because Kovarex released a blog post one Friday (they do this every Friday by the way, their development is for real transparent) where he outlined the technical challenges behind making the game perspective skewed up/down even though the game field itself is a flat grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Renegret posted:

And it only costs $20.

Everyone needs to play Factorio.

This.

Also the game in that 6 years in a team of between 5 and 17 devs has had two major graphical overhauls, a networking overhaul, and countless additions and balance changes; and yet since at least 2015 was continuously fully playable to endgame, and with huge mod support. And a tutorial.

Really, most people would've released the game after the first overhaul in 2015, then tried to sell the last 2 years of work as an expansion pack. That the Factorio devs haven't done that is remarkable.

But please tell me about this Star Citizen game you have been able to fully play at full FPS for 3 years now... :allears: