Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Wacky Delly posted:

Isn't there a discount for the cost of the previous plot?

I'm considering seeing if I can get a medium back in Mist.

Yeah, its something like 30% of the value of your old plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Yeah, its something like 30% of the value of your old plot.

To clarify: 30% of the minimum value that your plot could go down to, not 30% of what you paid unless you bought your plot at the minimum value, which is very unlikely. It does not use the grandfathered values like the refund from auto-demolish either, if you bought your plot pre-price nerfs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Philonius posted:

making GBS threads over fellow red mages in 24 mans who refuse to A) wear a hat and B) wear red has given me an idea for a new class for the next expansion :

Fashion Icon

You get a scaling damage boost based on how well coordinated your glamour is. It takes into account season, time of day, and constantly changing fashion trends.

It's time to bring both halves of FFXIV's endgame together.

90% of DF red mages are poo poo regardless of their outfit, and I lord it over all of them with my chocobo mage glam. :colbert:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think the scion monocle is also acceptable RDM headgear don’t @ me

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm perfectly happy with a small cottage but I really wish you could have another 10 outdoor spaces for the yard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

KoB posted:

Our tiny FC of friends finally got the money together, wards are a ghost town though.

Congratulations on obtaining THE BEST Mist plot in the game.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Is it post your catgirl imgdump time?

(Accidental cursor in snip window.jpg)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just a lodestone picture because I'm not at home but I really like this look. I probably spent a good 40% of the time since Heavensward launch with this look on my main class, at least.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shoulda just made FC and personal housing different. Leave personal housing as is, and FCs get individual mini-wards that don't have instanced interiors and have multiple building plots with so you could build multiple houses, an actual airship hangar, a big garden, etc.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nodosaur posted:

I realize this is stuff we learned about Arenvald in the parts they used him in, but. Hoary is simultaneously too fleshed out and too minor a character for anything like what they're doing with Arenvald to feel like it fits Hoary at all. Arenvald was a blank slate, yeah, but there was more room to fill stuff in. I'd also argue that Hoary is ultimately best served as comic relief, and pushing him outside that niche would kind of kill what makes him memorable.

He'd also certainly be less as good a foil for Fordola, considering Arenvald and Fordola both share crappy upbringings, which gives some weight to him calling out. Hoary has a brother, a relatively respectable husband/life partner, and doesn't really strike me as someone who's had to really deal with much adversity or impoverishment in his life.

My musing was more "I like character A more than B right now, I wish they would show more of A and put some effort in fitting him more into the context, even if B is easier and makes more sense on paper."

I still believe there is some room for growth for Boulder, but yeah, it's all just hypothetical given that this scenario didn't happen, and on the other end, Arenvald should (or drat well better) get more fleshing out as we get more and more patches in so he's still missing some gaps that will likely be filled in soon. But the last thing I'm going to say on that point is that you at times see more development out of characters by putting them into unexpected or ill-fitting situations and conflicts. Sure, Hoary is more comic relief, but there is always the potential of seeing more behind the comic relief when juxtaposed with serious or dire situations. Hell, maybe there is more of a reason than he let on concerning why he joined the Crystal Braves and why he didn't keep on the same trajectory going into 3.0 and beyond. Perhaps actually being at Ala Mhigo during this resistance can shed some light to him on why Illberd did what he did and maybe the overall end of his goal was worth it and not the means therein, and that provides more of a conviction than being a mere sell-sword.

As far as needing a foil for Fordola... eh, they may be going for Lyse occupying that role more than anyone else, but we'll see what happens.

Blockhouse posted:

Granted I haven't done the SB Bard quest but I'm having trouble imagining a situation wherein anyone has their country conquered by an oppressive military force and the reaction is "yeah they totally had this coming"

While I noted that I am not completely sympathetic to Ala Mhigo, that does not mean that I am devoid of sympathy for Ala Mhigo. But it's not like you should need sympathy to help people, so I'm cool with helping them regardless (especially given how the evil empire are filled with assholes).

Their history and your exposure to about 3-4 years of game leading up to SB just made it harder for me to really get 100% on board with the Ala Mhigan cause. That, and some important stuff is either locked away in Encyclopedia Eorzea, or is just buried in off-handed NPC comments. I mean, Ala Mhigo was just a straight up warmonger for long periods of time. Even before the Autumn War, they continued to beef with Garlemald in the east and Gridania in the west. In the Autumn War proper, Ala Mhigo tries to stomp into Gridania and burns a lot of the Black Shroud, pissing off the Elementals in the process (and I think even back then people knew that the Elementals are volatile and straight up caused an apocalypse in the prior Era). The BRD quest reveals that Gridania actually did try to undergo peace treaty efforts despite being attacked first, which was rewarded by Ala Mhigo murdering the official and then straight up lying about it afterwards to keep the war going. A big part of the BRD quest is that there is the potential that Gridania may not be too happy about this revelation and the Bard Fellowship decides to keep it a secret as to not negatively impact the Resistance effort. Ala Mhigo then goes on to piss off each and every city state to the point where it gets its poo poo kicked in.

If it stopped there, it wouldn't be too bad, but I believe NPC lines here and there noted that Ala Mhigo was still beefing with a lot of the rest of Eorzea even after the war. Uhlan even started restricting trade routes because of it. Then cut to their civil war caused by a King who decided to murder his own Monk forces for no goddamn reason, while still beefing with countries on both sides of the fence, and plunged the country into a civil war, in which the Garlean Empire occupied without much resistance.

Unfortunately, I feel the game doesn't do a great job in really showing a lot of what happened in the Empire's rule of Ala Mhigo leading up to and beyond the point of the Calamity outside of a Fordola flashback here and there. I mean, we are definitely in part told what has happened, usually by the same people that cried foul about the Eorzean Alliance working to push Garleans out of their own territory and then helping Ishgard first rather than just dropping everything to liberate Ala Mhigo. We know Gaius has been viceroy for quite some time, and leading up to SB, the story couldn't firmly settle on whether Gaius was true to the sense that he believes conscription regardless of race or background is the way over just mindless oppression and slavery, or if, surprise surprise, the Empire are just the bad guys and Ala Mhigo was just a dumpster fire even before the Calamity. Given him bringing Fordola on board to begin with for which I assume Fordola has been working with the Skull for years, I think the game lands on the latter, but we don't know how long she and her crew have been active.

We definitely know Imperial Ala Mhigo is a dumpster fire now, but the deal has not really been sealed on how much of it was Zenos or if Zenos just threw gasoline in said fire.
Ala Mhigo has historical baggage and while I see the attempts to really bring in people on the cause, I don't have much perspective on what Imperial Ala Mhigan life was like pre and post Calamity. The game tells me it was bad, and I believe it, I just think that SB kinda rushed past the "okay, I'm going to show you that this is why we've been saying this Empire really, really loving sucks, it's been this way before the Calamity, and the Calamity only made poo poo worse" part in the Ala Mhigo portion of the expansion. For the most part, by the time we get to anywhere in the region, the Resistance already forced most of the Empire out of the area so we never get to see too much on how they interacted with the populace. "Yeah they had this coming" isn't quite the attitude I have in the dismissive sense, but more like "I am not shocked by these turn of events. While we should help out anyway, I'm just not going to be drinking much of that Ala Mhigo koolaid."

With Doma, as soon as you get there, you see what a random village has to go through from the Empire first hand. They tell you more or less it's like this every day. You see what these traders have to go through and what effect the tithe has. They tell you it's more or less like this every day. You see people involved with Doma and how much of a wreck Doma is now. They are like "we just want to live in our Japanese castle." Easy.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 7, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

cheetah7071 posted:

Just a lodestone picture because I'm not at home but I really like this look. I probably spent a good 40% of the time since Heavensward launch with this look on my main class, at least.

It's a real good look!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Catgirl/new house post combo

Finally got myself plot 6 in mists :allears:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leal posted:

Catgirl/new house post combo

Finally got myself plot 6 in mists :allears:

I traded in my Lavender Beds 30 for a Goblet 19 - The Medium, and only non-Small, that sits right on the revamped Brimming Heart.

Mists 6 is a primo pick however, and ultimately my goal as well. Was my first choice back when auto-demolish was a new thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's a real good look!

Thanks! I like to say I'm cosplaying as an NPC because all of it is sub level 20 stuff that's been in since 2.0, except the flower in my hair

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Elezen Unicorn Tribe Represent

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MechaX posted:

Ala Mhigo was a mistake.

I agree.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

TheHeadSage posted:

Hell yeah. Though, admittedly, Wildwood, still an elfman

I am actually pretty happy that the Castrum Abania recolours in this latest patch mix up who gets what, because I love this top and I'm glad casters can have it now too.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Excalibur housing report - If you want to relocate, there's plenty of Small/Medium plots left as of the time of this post, especially in the Goblet. Pleasantly surprised to log in tonight and find that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Against better judgement I relocated and have to reset all my items.

But I built a sauna overlooking a beach so I can judge people without actually having to go down there, which is some one-percenter poo poo so I'm fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Skaw posted:

I traded in my Lavender Beds 30 for a Goblet 19 - The Medium, and only non-Small, that sits right on the revamped Brimming Heart.

Mists 6 is a primo pick however, and ultimately my goal as well. Was my first choice back when auto-demolish was a new thing.

6 is a good spot, I was asking for it when they added Shiro housing if someone would work out letting me know which ward they're in so I can swipe it if they were moving to a shirogne house. Right by the MB, the beach and the fast travel point at the docks.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Leal posted:

6 is a good spot, I was asking for it when they added Shiro housing if someone would work out letting me know which ward they're in so I can swipe it if they were moving to a shirogne house. Right by the MB, the beach and the fast travel point at the docks.

Yeah. My only real issue with Goblet is that the Oasis themed exteriors suuuuuuuuuck. All three Riviera are nice, and Glade has a good one. I really would like to see that restriction lifted some day, or at least more down to earth, universal styles become available. The structural parts of the eatery/shop/etc style are nice, but I'd love a version without the theme set pieces. I just want a dang regular looking house. I'm gonna miss my hedgewall most of all though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MechaX posted:

Ala Mhigo has historical baggage...

Regarding Imperial Ala Mhigo and how it was, the big ugly Fordola flashback is totally how I would see things under Gaius's rule. Even third class citizenship doesn't make you worth anything to the empire if it'll keep the locals content via venting their frustrations.
I mean, it says a lot about the Ala Mhigans for how they act as refugee's and in that cutscene. Pride is a funny vice like that.
It also says a lot about the Garleans that that's apparently part of their policy to let what happened happen.

On the other hand, I don't see Gaius pulling a Specula Imperatoris like Zenos did. That seems to go against his creed (since the Skulls are soldiers and therefor part of his vision.)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone know when private housing purchases will be available? Hoping if no one transfers to the small plot closest to my FC's house I can grab it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

TheHeadSage posted:

:hfive:

basic unicorn

unicorn on a unicorn

two for one unicorns at your local Garle-mart

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

S-E 3rd quarter financials are out. Nothing too interesting in terms of specific FFXIV news, though.

Though it does seem to point at a somewhat curious trend that most of S-E's profits come from their back catalog, as opposed to new releases per-se.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i love my catman so much

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

:hfive:

basic unicorn

unicorn on a unicorn

two for one unicorns at your local Garle-mart

I legit flinched in panic when I saw that second screenshot.

Been playing way too much MHW.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I got lavender beds 16! It’s no 11 but those were sold out by the time I logged in....

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

EponymousMrYar posted:

On the other hand, I don't see Gaius pulling a Specula Imperatoris like Zenos did. That seems to go against his creed (since the Skulls are soldiers and therefor part of his vision.)

Gaius shut down a branch of his unit trying to use chemical warfare on Eorzea, so I think that's a given.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Alder posted:

i love my catman so much

What sword is that?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sometimes you run into people who have interesting ideas about how their job is supposed to work.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Your talking about Ala Mhigan kings though. These are the poor fuckers who got marched off a farm and told to fight for us or we'll kill you and finally turned around and said you'll have to kill us. No one suffered more at their king's hands then they did and they fought and died by the thousands to finally shatter centuries of brutal feudalism only to turn around and get crushed under the heel of imperialism. Like how do you cluck your tongue at the peasants for having a lovely king that they courageously dethroned?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Because the peasants still worship Rhalgr, Destroyer of Worlds.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
No, that's us. Seriously though, Gridania is depicted as more of a cult willing to enact the whims of violent destructive entities then Ala Mhigo is.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

MechaX posted:

And the Ishgardians still worship Halone, patron saint and banner of the corrupt Orthodoxy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

MechaX posted:

Same though

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

No, that's us. Seriously though, Gridania is depicted as more of a cult willing to enact the whims of violent destructive entities then Ala Mhigo is.

I was joking in that answer, but in regards to Gridania, yeah, the stuff they are willing to do in the name of the Elementals is distressing (although, I don't think we've ever seen Gridania do anything more overt than "nope, can't stay here, forest will eat you and us if we did").

But again, the Elementals did flood the world at one point and is still pretty mean to anything living for reasons I don't think we entirely know just yet.

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

And the Ishgardians still worship Halone, patron saint and banner of the corrupt Orthodoxy.

Who does Limsa worship

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

MechaX posted:

Who does Limsa worship

Typically, as you can imagine for a group of seafaring people they worship Llymlaen, the Navigator. That's actually also where the standing stone for that particular god is.

Ul'Dah is all about Nald'Thal, obviously, and Gridania is technically about Nophica, but most of their stuff is sort of filtered through the "Oh please don't kill us this week, Elementals, we promise to do something about the poachers for real this time. Don't banish us all from the woods, or start disintegrating people."

Fun fact though, the Elementals have been getting weaker since the Calamity (or at least they got weaker and have not recovered) so even though there is a whole issue with the Guardian tree, it might not even be something they can do anymore.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And Doma abided human trafficking and sex slavery.

But like, Ala Mhigo and Doma being horrible or flawed places is part of the point, I feel like. Far too often the stories about liberation and freedom from tyranny make the conquered land a once and future gleaming city on a hill, a utopia spoiled by the invading army.

FFXIV is much more honest about it. The world is far more difficult and less easy than that, and it challenges you to see that an injustice is still an injustice even when leveled against highly imperfect people themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Thundarr posted:

Sometimes you run into people who have interesting ideas about how their job is supposed to work.

What the fuuuuck???

There's no, fire, fire II, fire III, or flare so the only way they could have gotten into AF to cast Fire IV would have been transpose... and they still did that enough to cast Fire IV the most and get polygots.

Also that drain...