Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Raskolnikov38 posted:

china a50 now down 8% and it seems to have a decent chunk of the PRC's investment banks listed on it

is that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
china changed the colors so when a stock went down it was green and if it went up it was red. a wall of green, a very healthy economy that Works and is not clearly a sham

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fknlo posted:

I really hope that when the economy goes it craters the housing market in the Denver region.

nah it doesn't have that much of an effect on places people actually want to live

like even in atlanta where some of the poorer suburbs were crushed, ITP was just fine and dandy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

logikv9 posted:

china changed the colors so when a stock went down it was green and if it went up it was red. a wall of green, a very healthy economy that Works and is not clearly a sham

i read somewhere it was because the CCP didnt want red to be the bad color

so now the red is the color of capital increasing its power

one of those mysterious chinese characteristics

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there was an image that went around last time china's stock market decided to kill itself get attacked by Western forces seeking to destabilize the country that adequately summed up the entire situation well. it was a man who was running his little produce cart in a rural market area, and he was sitting behind his cart where he had a laptop out with stock graphs on it

stocks could only go up up up and the government just kept telling people that everything was going to be fine, and enabled people to invest more and more. eventually this led to basically everybody and their cousin being intimately involved with stocks, and thus making god awful decisions en masse

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Need these market dips to uncover some major structural flaw to really get the ride going

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

logikv9 posted:

on the other hand they have ways to prevent a stock crash from ruining their economy so maybe treating the stock market like a sham is the way to go

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

if by western forces, they mean high freq trading firms then they’re not wrong

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gonna laugh myself to an early grave when the banks start failing and trump doesn't bail them out like obama did

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

logikv9 posted:

there was an image that went around last time china's stock market decided to kill itself get attacked by Western forces seeking to destabilize the country that adequately summed up the entire situation well. it was a man who was running his little produce cart in a rural market area, and he was sitting behind his cart where he had a laptop out with stock graphs on it

stocks could only go up up up and the government just kept telling people that everything was going to be fine, and enabled people to invest more and more. eventually this led to basically everybody and their cousin being intimately involved with stocks, and thus making god awful decisions en masse

oh man, I forgot all about that image! I guess this must have been taken before the red/green switch.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

last time the chinese stock market started to go down for a few days in a row the chinese govt installed a bunch of trading controls to stop that from happening lol

which ended up making it worse, then they arrested a journalist, then it blew into a full scale 'corruption' witchhunt. meanwhile, one of the main reasons the crash was so bad was margin buying encouraged by Xi's OBOR policies.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1059056016300661

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 9, 2018

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

financially racist posted:

gonna laugh myself to an early grave when the banks start failing and trump doesn't bail them out like obama did

He will, look at who makes up his cabinet.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that’s reminds me i wonder if there’s been a degradation of squatter’s rights since the last crash

yeah you get your door kicked in by the police and arrested for trespassing

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

:nfpa:

burn it all down

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/ltgrusselhonore/status/961806661412446208

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Why would you privatize water? Like what's the supposed advantage?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

punk rebel ecks posted:

$$$

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
wow quantum of solace was a documentary

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

people need to drink it to live and once you own it you can charge them money for them to continue living

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

why wouldn't you commoditize what is going to imminently become one of the most valuable resources of the 21st century??

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SpaceGoku posted:

people need to drink it to live and once you own it you can charge them money for them to continue living

seize the means to produce your own beer and distribute the excess nectar freely to your fellow revolutionaries.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

punk rebel ecks posted:

taking an entire continent hostage

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Thank god its only in corrupt brazil and that poo poo could never happen here

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Let me rephrase it. Even in crazy neoliberal minds there is an advantage in privatization for society in many industries that shouldn't be. Such as how a fully privatized school system would in theory lead to my competition thus improved teaching skills.

But what exactly is the theory for privatized water? What competition could there possibly be? It's loving water.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Acelerion posted:

Thank god its only in corrupt brazil and that poo poo could never happen here

nestle cannot endure an assault of (pacifist and non-violent obviously) heavily armed liberals

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't overthink it, the theory is that the person who owns the water can make a lot of money.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let me rephrase it. Even in crazy neoliberal minds there is an advantage in privatization for society in many industries that shouldn't be. Such as how a fully privatized school system would in theory lead to my competition thus improved teaching skills.

But what exactly is the theory for privatized water? What competition could there possibly be? It's loving water.

you understand that potable water is a finite resource that we are rapidly depleting our reserves of, right?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fknlo posted:

I really hope that when the economy goes it craters the housing market in the Denver region.

last time home prices in Places Where Jobs Are just stayed flat

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
here's the theory behind privatized water:

politician: "if i sell off national infrastructure to private interests, i get a massive kickback from them"
multinational: "if we buy off politicians to sell off an entire aquifer, we can make bank off hiking the cost of it to human fleshlings, which need water to live, and will therefore be forced to pay any price we demand"

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

watch this video to see why water privatization is actually good:

https://youtu.be/7iGj4GpAbTM

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Step 1: Get rights to all water reserves in a region
Step 2: Package and resell your water, litigate anyone that tries to touch your supply
Step 3: Profit

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that waters gonna get bottled up and sold everywhere that isnt south america lol

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

There was a thing a while back where nestle bought (bribed) all the water rights in some south american or maybe african country and then sued people for collecting rainwater

Somehow a ubiquitous bottled drink company manages to be this lovely

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman posted:

yeah you get your door kicked in by the police and arrested for trespassing

that’s how it’s always worked

one of the more common flavors of squatter’s rights is if you can manage to live there for a set amount of time it becomes yours free and clear

typically this involves conditions like having your mail sent there and “making improvements” and whatnot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
and of course you should be banding your neighbors together to gun ownerishly stare down the cops when they come to evict like we did during the great depression

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that’s how it’s always worked

one of the more common flavors of squatter’s rights is if you can manage to live there for a set amount of time it becomes yours free and clear

typically this involves conditions like having your mail sent there and “making improvements” and whatnot

yeah I know what adverse possession is. the cops are gonna gently caress you up if you try it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Acelerion posted:

There was a thing a while back where nestle bought (bribed) all the water rights in some south american or maybe african country and then sued people for collecting rainwater

Somehow a ubiquitous bottled drink company manages to be this lovely

I know that happened in Bolivia, lead to Evo Morales in power.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

punk rebel ecks posted:

hurr durr if i own the water it's my perogative to keep it in the highest quality condition for the lowest price.

(because i have also made free water impossible to have)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i’m a poo poo-b-gone man myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

good overview while we wait to see if markets are a correction or bankers vs gravity

https://twitter.com/Convertbond/status/961800073683329024