Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Well a lot has been made in the story of the "Omega is just a soulless machine and it can't understand real emotions and the power of friendship" theme. Also given Alpha's name it's going to involve the two of them merging I think. Alpha has learned to triumph over adversity through the power of friends and teamwork and Omega integrates that and becomes a peace-loving friendbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm gonna be sad once Alpha is gone and i hope we get a minion version

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. Honestly don't worry about it. It's pretty hard to get your pet killed.

I was wondering about it since I was doing Aurum Vale in leveling and Ifrit ate poo poo at every 100 tonze swing

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of Coincounter, I am annoyed that Hell's Lid's Coincounter breaks all the rules of swings. He doesn't hold his weapon in both hands when he's charging up the 360 degree one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I swear dungeon gear used to be a lot closer to raid-usable than it is now. Like 20-25 ilvls off of best in slot and enough to make the ilvl check for Coil/Savage with a couple of tome or 24-person gear pieces.

Post-launch HW and SB dungeon gear has consistently been 5 item levels below the (non-savage, casual-friendly) raid gear from the previous patch, which became infinitely farmable at the same time as the dungeon gear was added.

For example, the casual raid gear in 4.0 was Deltascape normal at 320. In 4.1, it became infinitely farmable and the new dungeon of that patch, Skalla, dropped 315 gear. The casual raid gear then moved on to 330 gear from Rabanastre, and in 4.2 that became infinitely farmable and the new dungeons drop 325 gear. In 4.3, we can safely assume that Sigmascape normal gear at 350 will become infinitely farmable and the dungeon for that patch will drop 345 gear.

Or in other words, farming the latest dungeon is a slightly but not massively worse alternative to farming the casual raid that was just made unlimited, as far as direct gear drops are concerned.

Honestly, dungeon gear is basically the sort of thing that you snag for:
- Glamour purposes (primary reason)
- Alt jobs that you don't give too many shits about, just so they have something vaguely relevant to wear
- Temporary placeholders when gearing up your very first 70, until you get better poo poo from time-limited sources
--- In even patches, unlimited tomestones are also better, even before upgrading but especially after upgrading

Aside from glamour, none of those are a compelling reason to sit down and grind out the random drops until you finally get the full set together.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

My idea for Tornado Kick: Using it grants the Monk a special 4th stack of Greased Lightning for some period of time. This stack can't be refreshed, and you lose all of them when it runs out.

Basically it would feel like a badass version of "unlocking your true potential" kinda thing where you push the limits and are then tired out afterwards, and would give more leeway in terms of using it before a boss goes invulnerable.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it'd be weird to kill Omega in a Raid given he was a part of ARR and HW. Maybe you fight him, but he still gets away? I dunno.

To even reach the Omega raid you have to have finished every part of the story he was in anyways so you won't have any timey-wimey weirdness if that's what your implying.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Omega Omegascape, featuring 4 different iterations of Omega/Omega Weapon

i hope one of them is just the spell omega

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

I'm gonna be sad once Alpha is gone and i hope we get a minion version

Jessie will almost certainly have a new line of Offcial Garland Ironworks branded Alpha merchandise in both Wind-Up and Dress-Up flavors.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I got Susano normal in trial roulette today

the drg's skill breakdown:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ranged dragoon?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Jump is for losers and gets you killed. You can't be a lolgoon if you never get animation locked.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Griz posted:

I got Susano normal in trial roulette today

I know nothing of DRG but the lack of even a DoT from the AST makes me sad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The most physically painful part of that is they used both impulse drive and chaos thrust but not disembowel

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
O5S down! Though I was having net / glitch / OT-kept-dying issues that were tilting me off the face of the earth, so I left without realizing that my static actually takes screenshots.

But that's okay, they fixed that.

On the plus side, 93rd percentile as WAR.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kuvo posted:

was wondering why this doma castle run was going so slow :negative:

Did that SMN just not complete his level 70 job quest?

Griz posted:

I appreciate that he remembers that BotD and Geirskogul are in fact buttons he can use besides Doom Spike, but I wonder how quickly he ran out of TP in this fight.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's like somebody encouraged him to use Doom Spike more, but he didn't realize that they meant to only use it on trash packs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
whoa byakko farm parties are even worse than byakko clear parties

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

whoa byakko farm parties are even worse than byakko clear parties

I swear farm parties are made up of the people that had to be carried through a clear party.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

MechaX posted:

Did that SMN just not complete his level 70 job quest?

they didn't use any DoTs :ssh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Axle_Stukov posted:

To even reach the Omega raid you have to have finished every part of the story he was in anyways so you won't have any timey-wimey weirdness if that's what your implying.

Nah, just more that he was relevant in the main campaign, so it'd be strange to off him in side-content.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah, just more that he was relevant in the main campaign, so it'd be strange to off him in side-content.

Omega's relevance to 4.0 is similar to Bahamut's relevance to 2.0 (i.e. they create a big scary light show that provides the segue from one arc to the next) so dealing with him as the endgame raid fits about as well.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So this may be a really dumb question, but are there any good class guides? Ones that don't ask you to memorize 40 actions for your opener, and then another 75 for the main rotation. I'm looking for something similar to what Icy-Veins does for WoW class stuff, as opposed to whatever this bullshit is. Those guides are completely impenetrable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, I tried looking for a guide on SMN and most of it seemed to either be obvious ("keep up your DOTs, use damage-enhancing abilities on cooldown") or involved complicated stuff about Ruin III vs Ruin IV

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Most classes boil down to "memorize this exact opener. then push buttons as they light up. the end."

This is especially true of DRG.

Which class are you trying to learn? And what aspects of that class are you having trouble with? Anything more advanced than basic mechanics is going to boil down to memorizing sequences of buttons presses because that is what this game is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fwiw openers make a whole lot more sense once you're familiar with the class's mechanics and know the general flow of the class

the SAM 3-Sen opener is ~25 actions (15 weaponskills, 10 abilities) but it's dead simple when you realize it's just "build 2 Sen, Meikyo, Yuki, burn Sen, Higanbana, get the other two Sen, Midare"

The DRG opener is fairly long but it's just working through a preset combo that would be fairly obvious to anyone who's spent time with the job at max level because all of the actions lead into each other.

Sarrisan posted:

Which class are you trying to learn? And what aspects of that class are you having trouble with? Anything more advanced than basic mechanics is going to boil down to memorizing sequences of buttons presses because that is what this game is.

e: corrected an ability

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 9, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I feel like the openers are also a lot easier to mentally parse when people separate out the GCD and oGCD part.

Also it feels like 90% of the words in those guides basically just talk about trying to super optimize out tiny dps gains in super situational moments and for the vast majority of players trying to read all that poo poo is just going to overload you with a bunch of unnecessary info. Like the DRG guide has hundreds of words about the exact second you should use every ability in each specific delta savage fight.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 9, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zerilan posted:

I feel like the openers are also a lot easier to mentally parse when people separate out the GCD and oGCD part.

Also it feels like 90% of the words in those guides basically just talk about trying to super optimize out tiny dps gains in super situational moments and for the vast majority of players trying to read all that poo poo is just going to overload you with a bunch of unnecessary info. Like the DRG guide has hundreds of words about the exact second you should use every ability in each specific delta savage fight.
Yeah it's basically this, a lot of this information isn't super useful if you aren't mostly there already.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Zerilan posted:

This is exactly my problem with the guides. To the outsider looking in, or to the person who's new to the class and maybe not even at max level with it, the guides are worse than useless... they're actively confusing. They're gigantic, dry, impenetrable lists of acronyms and icons. 10 minutes in palace of the freaking dead taught me more about playing DRG than that guide ever could have.

Sarrisan posted:

I'm just trying to level things up between 60 and 70 and at least somewhat pull my weight in the dungeons along the way. That's why I'm just looking for like the quick and dirty information. "Do these combos to perform more-or-less well in 4 player dungeons."

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Well, okay. Suppose I've never touched DRG before and someone says 'figure out the 70 rotation'.

The first thing I notice is that Heavy Thrust is a self-damage buff, which means I want to keep it up all the time, but it's a relatively weak attack, so I want to use it as little as possible.

There are two combo chains: Impulse -> Disembowel -> Chaos -> Wheeling -> Fang, and True -> Vorpal -> Full -> Fang -> Wheeling. Combine that with Heavy Thrust, and that means my opener is probably going to involve Heavy Thrust, then some pattern of the Impulse Drive and True Thrust 5-GCD combos. If I play around with it, I can see that I have time to do each 5-GCD combo once before I have to reapply Heavy Thrust, and if I do Heavy Thrust -> Impulse combo -> True Thrust combo, I basically always reapply my buffs and debuffs right when they're about to full off (2.5s gcd means you loop every 27.5 seconds, and all of the buffs/debuffs last 30 seconds). The reason I do the Impulse combo first is that the True Thrust combo does more damage, and I want to make sure that it has the extra damage from Disembowel.

So that's my GCD rotation sorted. What about OGCDs?

- Damage boost like Blood for Blood, Dragon Sight, and Battle Litany you can generally use as they come up when you're just learning things.
- Blood of the Dragon keeps itself up pretty easily because you get +20 seconds on it every 5-GCD combo.
- Dragonfire Dive doesn't give me any resources and is just straight up damage, so I use it when I can.
- Jump and Spineshatter Dive let me use Mirage Dive, and every 60 seconds I can Jump twice and Spineshatter Dive once. This is exactly enough to let me trigger the additional effect on Geirskogul and go into Life of the Dragon (LotD).
- In LotD, I can use Nastrond either twice or three times before I fall out.

TL;DR: Do your combos, keep up your buffs, your dots, and your debuffs, and push oGCDs as they come up and you'll generally get 70% of the way there.

Also I spent all that time writing that post and I realized I never actually answered your question: as far as I know there's no good 'here's how to do the basics of X job at 70' guides, but if you post in here or ask in FC chat or something there'll generally be someone who can get you started.

vOv fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 9, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

spot the hosed up thing.

the BLM used entirely ZERO aoes on trash in the entire instance. not even one threat on these mobs. the only BLM in game who doesn't use Flare ASAP

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
O7S cleared, only took us a bit more than 4 lock outs in total. Two of them + some extra pulls when we agreed for thirty more minutes since we saw enrage were tonight.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As someone who's still leveling BLM, uh, when are you supposed to use Flare anyway? It's a bit obvious later on when you have the umbral hearts to reduce the MP cost, but what about before or besides then? All I can think of is to use it, hit convert, then immediately hit blizzard 3 to start getting mana back, but people seem to be using it a lot more than that and I am stupid. :saddowns:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

This is exactly my problem with the guides. To the outsider looking in, or to the person who's new to the class and maybe not even at max level with it, the guides are worse than useless... they're actively confusing. They're gigantic, dry, impenetrable lists of acronyms and icons. 10 minutes in palace of the freaking dead taught me more about playing DRG than that guide ever could have.

I'm just trying to level things up between 60 and 70 and at least somewhat pull my weight in the dungeons along the way. That's why I'm just looking for like the quick and dirty information. "Do these combos to perform more-or-less well in 4 player dungeons."

You can do a search for "The Balance" discord, which has separate channels for the various classes with lots of useful information. Most of it is going to be information-heavy, though.

FF14 is a simple game, and so are it's classes. If you just wanna do okay in dungeons and normal mode trials then all you need to do is read tooltips and follow what seems logical. Do combos. Press OGCD abilities when they are up. Keep your GCD rolling and try not to spend too much time standing around doing nothing. This will get you 70-80% of every class you might wanna play. Anyone who dedicates the time to write a guide is going to assume readers are looking for more than just basic info, and so are going to be a dryer than you are maybe looking for.

Maybe install ACT and keep an eye on how you are doing--I'd be willing to bet that just rolling with things you will find yourself doing better than you expect. FF14 is terrible at giving you native feedback as far as personal performance, especially as a dps, since a tank or a healer can feel good that they at least performed their basic duties.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Asimo posted:

As someone who's still leveling BLM, uh, when are you supposed to use Flare anyway? It's a bit obvious later on when you have the umbral hearts to reduce the MP cost, but what about before or besides then? All I can think of is to use it, hit convert, then immediately hit blizzard 3 to start getting mana back, but people seem to be using it a lot more than that and I am stupid. :saddowns:

At level 70 your rotation should look like:

Blizz3 (enochian) > Blizz4 > Fire3 (swiftcast or triplecast) > Flare > Flare (Max Ether) > Flare (convert) > Flare (transpose, wait for mana tick) > Thunder4 > Blizz3> Repeat

basically always get your umbral hearts up before flaring. Don't bother with fire 2, it's trash. Once you've got a Foul stocked, you can use that after transpose so you don't have to wait for a mana tick while doing nothing. You can also use a thundercloud proc for this purpose. Speaking of which, just throw out thundercloud procs basically whenever. it's not perfect, but AOE is hardly the most important thing to worry about perfection with thunder ticks.

EDIT: I just realized you're asking about before 70. In that case, it's pretty similar: your fire phase just includes 2-3 fire 2 casts before you start flaring, and swap thunder4 for thunder2. Technically the fire 2's are optional--basically, fire 2 gets more worth the more enemies are present. So if someone is single-pulling packs, maybe skip it. If they just did a wall to wall pull, try to burn excess mana in astral phase on fire 2 before you flare.

also never wait in Umbral phase for full mana, it's not worth it. just go blizz3 > thunder 2 > fire 3 > fire2 once or twice > flare > repeat

Sarrisan fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 9, 2018

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Asimo posted:

Only ever Flare in AoE situations, which is anything with 3 (maybe 4?) or more enemies. Pre-70, you Flare if you're in an AoE situation and you're out of Fire 2s.

Instead of converting, just hit transpose, then start casting Fire 3 as soon as you get your MP tick. By the time you finish casting, you'll get another MP tick, so you can do F2 > F2 > Flare > Transpose and repeat.

If you have Convert, use it for an extra Flare.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! Yeah didn't think about abusing individual ticks like that.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

DoubleNegative posted:

So this may be a really dumb question, but are there any good class guides? Ones that don't ask you to memorize 40 actions for your opener, and then another 75 for the main rotation. I'm looking for something similar to what Icy-Veins does for WoW class stuff, as opposed to whatever this bullshit is. Those guides are completely impenetrable.

Not really, and it's incredibly irritating. I'd love it if there was a red mage guide that actually explained how the job plays at various levels. Like what the level 50 rotation is, how it changes if you sync down to say, Sastasha instead of just vomiting all the level 70 rotations (as icons, which are loving useless outside of the game) that were designed for top end raiding.

I tried writing something similar for Black Mage back in HW, but people just shat on it because I didn't demand that people follow the perfect Savage rotation, instead I asked that people master this serviceable rotation at level 60, then add extra stuff as they got comfortable with it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kuvo posted:

was wondering why this doma castle run was going so slow :negative:

Eh, having the pet auto as your highest or second-highest damage source isn't that weird, their Ruin III/Ruin II ratio is way better than I manage in most content even if they're missing Tri-Bind, and they're using Painflare so that's - oh dear where is Bio III. And why is Miasma III not actually doing anything.

Also, The Balance is a good resource for endgame raiding advice, but I wouldn't point a newbie there in a million years. It's extremely endgame-oriented, so asking simple questions like, say, what the different AST cards do will probably get you dirty looks. The folks in Catgirl Bargains or FC chat will probably answer those questions right away, and honestly, the Reddit discord isn't terrible for that sort of thing either.

In completely unrelated news, I did a 50/60 roulette on my just-turned-60 WHM, and holy crap Sohr Khai is pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

TheHeadSage posted:

Not really, and it's incredibly irritating. I'd love it if there was a red mage guide that actually explained how the job plays at various levels. Like what the level 50 rotation is, how it changes if you sync down to say, Sastasha instead of just vomiting all the level 70 rotations (as icons, which are loving useless outside of the game) that were designed for top end raiding.

I tried writing something similar for Black Mage back in HW, but people just shat on it because I didn't demand that people follow the perfect Savage rotation, instead I asked that people master this serviceable rotation at level 60, then add extra stuff as they got comfortable with it.

RDM is a pretty simple class and idk what you’re reading that makes it sound super hard. Here is a chart that basically explains the whole class (on phone and I can’t figure out how to get to the original to embed)

https://m.imgur.com/r/ffxiv/rrGZKyG

For the lower levels you will always have jolt/verareo/verthunder/the first melee attack for your baseline caster/melee rotations. As you go up in levels you just kind of fill in the various procs till you get the full chart.