Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah dragster's the only one that came to mind.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Pac Man is solved

ah right. forgot that one. william mitchell still has that to his name. and his hot sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Big Jon's hosting a Nothin' But Golf speedrun event today. They just started some Neo Turf Masters. So far made just under $2500 for Child's Play!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldskool posted:

Big Jon's hosting a Nothin' But Golf speedrun event today. They just started some Neo Turf Masters. So far made just under $2500 for Child's Play!

owns owns owns

Dancer
May 23, 2011
That Clue video game is "solved", right? Just make a random accusation on the first frame you get control, and hope it's correct.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Family Feud has been solved

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Stokes posted:

kosmicd12 is now 1 frame behind the smb record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q90YAdbZG6A

does he still run on emu? sad that he will never be listed among the hallowed gamers of twin galaxies. i mean in a different world where they allowed the 4-2 glitch in this first place.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Groovelord Neato posted:

odd question but are there any "solved" games. as in the world record is impossible to beat by another human. maybe a stupid question since it always seems like when a game is solved someone finds some new glitch or tech to beat it but i assume via tas it can be determined.
Goldeneye runners go off the in-game time, which only measures to the second

so I assume some of the levels that have like a 50+ way tie for the Agent WR are solved but I've never seen a Goldeneye TAS.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Goldeneye runners go off the in-game time, which only measures to the second

so I assume some of the levels that have like a 50+ way tie for the Agent WR are solved but I've never seen a Goldeneye TAS.

All but one Goldeneye TAS times are at least few seconds faster. Runway record is actually faster than the TAS (which is 7 years old). The TAS uses the hardest difficulty which makes the perfection even harder for the human players.

http://tasvideos.org/3011S.html
https://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Don't emulators have different lag than console in GoldenEye?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Violently Car posted:

Don't emulators have different lag than console in GoldenEye?

That's not really relevant to how the in-game time ends up working, other than it makes it very hard to do anything like test up TAS inputs against the actual game/console to get verification in.

Nearly every technique shown to save time in a TAS on a level, has turned out to save the same time on the console when someone succeeds in nailing it. The rest of the techniques, no one's able to pull off consistently in real time yet. :v:

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
Doesn't the timer run pretty much real-time regardless of how laggy the game gets, which is why lag reduction strats are so important in real time runs? Since N64 emulation lags less than an actual console, you can get times not possible on hardware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Violently Car posted:

Doesn't the timer run pretty much real-time regardless of how laggy the game gets, which is why lag reduction strats are so important in real time runs? Since N64 emulation lags less than an actual console, you can get times not possible on hardware.

The timer runs inconsistently against real time, no matter in current emulators or on the real consoles. It's not even consistent across all of the versions of the game eg the NTSC/PAL/NTSC-Japan set.

There's also that the emulator can still lag regardless especially when you're using a more compatible one, it's all messy but for nearly every level it looks like you could be within the one-second game timer resolution by applying the TAS strats perfectly and thus have the same time as TAS. Trouble is a lot of those involve nailing a few frames perfectly at several different points in each second, for the whole level. :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kennel posted:

All but one Goldeneye TAS times are at least few seconds faster. Runway record is actually faster than the TAS (which is 7 years old). The TAS uses the hardest difficulty which makes the perfection even harder for the human players.

http://tasvideos.org/3011S.html
https://rankings.the-elite.net/goldeneye
Would Runway TAS end up tying humans if it was redone? Now I'm curious :shobon:

logicow
Jun 29, 2012
There’s a Barney’s Hide and Seek TAS where timing starts when the game starts and ends at the last input.

There are no inputs necessary to reach the ending credits. Barney starts walking around on his own after a bit.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Violently Car posted:

All versions have Ms. Pots and Pans.
I remember researching it and the SNES version doesn't have the "I love you" voice clips in it. The enemy makes a different noise. :colbert:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Zereth posted:

I remember researching it and the SNES version doesn't have the "I love you" voice clips in it. The enemy makes a different noise. :colbert:

It cuts the "ve you" off of "I love you".

Sega would've figured out how to recreate the true experience.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... huh. I remember one version just had some weird creepy droning type sound effect or something, which wasn't a voice clip at all.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So apparently most of the Bioshock Infinite running community agreed for certain reasons to allow this mod that guaranteed a 2% drop that is run-critical. Cue some people getting rather miffed about the Serious Business of speedrunning. Some of the funnier comments:

quote:

I think allowing a mod goes 100% against the idea of speedrunning a game. You're no longer running BioShock Infinite.

quote:

Well I guess this shows the people who run this game have no integrity. Mods in speed running? What a joke. 0 respect.

quote:

"The way I see it, unless Any% Gearless is somehow completely intolerable because you go 8 minutes slower over the course of the run (a laughable argument), then the main impetus for this HRH Mod rule-change is to disingenuously ride on the prestige of the Any% category. By inserting new HRH Mod runs into the old Any% leaderboard, you give the game an appearance of renewed activity, you allow runners who were frustrated with HRH grinding to replace their official run with one that represents what they "deserved" to get, and you allow people who are hip and with-it enough to do new HRH Mod runs to trash the times of the older runners who don't want to come back just to record a free PB with manipulated RNG. "

quote:

And all of that seems dishonest to me, because when it comes down to it, HRH mod runs are not Any% runs. Not by any stretch of the imagination. You can tell yourself "You could run a vanilla copy of the game and theoretically get RNG identical to an HRH Mod run! They're indistinguishable!" as much as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the game is modded, and you're trying to conflate modded runs with unmodded runs as a gimmick to reinvigorate the community or feel good about your new place on the leaderboard or whatever. So yeah, I don't think this is a good idea.

quote:

"Sounds like they can't be bothered to re route the run or find new paths. Cops out imo.

Now it's not a valid speedrun and this sets a dangerous precedent for other games. The speedrunning landscape could change."

It is dangerous you guys, don't you see?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
oh wow a community sick of RNG poo poo actually went for allowing a mod to remove it

granted yes I'm on the Serious Business side of thinking that's dumb as poo poo I think I'm just surprised because similar questions have come before the Silent Hill, Meat Boy and Freedom Planet communities and it's been rejected every time. Infinite actually went for it. Weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny to me that people would run any game where you can get hosed so hard by rng. must be the most frustrating poo poo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Are there any other games that are modified for their runs?

I remember years and years and years ago a guy was telling me that half-life speedruns are lame because they use a modified version of the game's uhh gauss gun I think to get higher jumps with it or something. I don't know how true that is though, if that was ever a thing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

FirstAidKite posted:

Are there any other games that are modified for their runs?

I remember years and years and years ago a guy was telling me that half-life speedruns are lame because they use a modified version of the game's uhh gauss gun I think to get higher jumps with it or something. I don't know how true that is though, if that was ever a thing.

I think Half Life is allowed to use scripts for stuff like bunny hopping. That might be what he meant?

otherwise I can't think of any games where directly modifying the game with cheat engine is even seriously considered let alone went with

HRH grinding must really loving suck if they're that desperate.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Why can’t there just be two categories, the way any other game would handle it?

That’s sort of what the did with Breath of the Wild back when they thought Amiibos would make the run faster, isn’t it?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

timp posted:

idk they just didn't want to do it that way

which is dumb

Infinite is not really unique in having some dumb bullshit longshot RNG where the run hinges on it so idk why they think it's drastic enough to warrant that when it's been rejected every time before

This is probably because I'm drowning in stuff I want to run but I don't get this kind of attachment to a specific game to the degree where you have to resort to such things? Because I'd probably have just gone "well this is a terrible speedgame" and found something else to play,

Dancer
May 23, 2011

timp posted:

That’s sort of what the did with Breath of the Wild back when they thought Amiibos would make the run faster, isn’t it?

My guess is because this is literally the only difference between runs. Even if the slippery slope happened, and people would accept cheats to guarantee any number of drops... there is one single other vaguely desired drop, and it's significantly less impactful (saves 20-30 sec instead of the 8 minutes saved by this thing).
Imagine if SMB allowed everyone to guarantee 3-cycle that one boss that's RNG, and that was the only change. It would (in my view) be silly to fracture the leaderboards just for that reason.
I guess Zelda is also similar... but that community seems to like it this way. B:I evidently disagrees.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Dancer posted:

Imagine if SMB allowed everyone to guarantee 3-cycle that one boss that's RNG, and that was the only change. It would (in my view) be silly to fracture the leaderboards just for that reason.

See it's funny you mention that beause a mod does exist that does that and it was collectively rejected from Any% for pretty much the exact reason you describe.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Like, I'm not gonna tell people how to run they're game, my point was that *if* the mod was allowed at all, the separate category would be silly. The community decided they want the option to run with the mod... so might as well make it replace any% instead of putting both leaderboards up. Because there is no meaningful gameplay difference between the two leaderboards.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Doesn't one of the NES Castlevania games allow a password or was it just because it was being run at a GDQ?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

breath of the wild ever allowing amiibos was stupid.

are there a lot of games people legit run (more than just a couple of people i mean) that have only a 2 percent chance of having a "perfect" run even if you make no mistakes? i'm with punchy that i'd just say gently caress it and play something else if i knew that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

are there a lot of games people legit run (more than just a couple of people i mean) that have only a 2 percent chance of having a "perfect" run even if you make no mistakes?

Literally any RPG. I know FF1 NES has about a 1/10 chance of surviving the initial grind and Marsh Cave, and then a coin flip at Earth Cave, Ordeals, and Ice Cave. Even if you make it through all that, you can still irretrievably lose the run to bad Kary or Chaos luck, and can lose up to 4 minutes at Tiamat if your 1/8 instakill doesn't go off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Wind Waker HD Zombie Hovers were almost that bad for a while.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

are there a lot of games people legit run (more than just a couple of people i mean) that have only a 2 percent chance of having a "perfect" run even if you make no mistakes? i'm with punchy that i'd just say gently caress it and play something else if i knew that.

I think Super Mario RPG fits this description, in fact I think it was brought up in this thread not too long ago. If I wasn’t phone posting I’d look for it for ya

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

Literally any RPG. I know FF1 NES has about a 1/10 chance of surviving the initial grind and Marsh Cave, and then a coin flip at Earth Cave, Ordeals, and Ice Cave. Even if you make it through all that, you can still irretrievably lose the run to bad Kary or Chaos luck, and can lose up to 4 minutes at Tiamat if your 1/8 instakill doesn't go off.

yeah i never understood speedrunning jrpgs at all (more for length but yeah that rng is a nightmare on top of a nightmare).

DoctorWhat posted:

Wind Waker HD Zombie Hovers were almost that bad for a while.

lol that video where the kid gets it and dies to the final fight was painful to watch.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
really hosed up that people try to facilitate having fun with playing video games fast

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

timp posted:

I think Super Mario RPG fits this description, in fact I think it was brought up in this thread not too long ago. If I wasn’t phone posting I’d look for it for ya

Are you talking about the item freebies maybe? Seems like that could save a bit of time but over a 3 hour run it probably normalizes.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

really hosed up that people try to facilitate having fun with playing video games fast

you must be new here

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like if you're relying on a mod to speed run a certain part of a game then someone needs to figure out a better route or strat instead. Like I could understand using that mod if you're at a gdq and dont want to get hosed or some such thing, but for records and 'serious times' then that seems silly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't really have a problem with a start-scumming mod as a category, tbh. It makes the speedrun more accessible.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Symphony of the Night has a faster route that nobody has been able to replicate in a run which depends on an incredibly unlikely meal ticket drop which then depends on the meal ticket randomly becoming a toadstool which then depends on the RNG damaging yourself in just the right way to make a jump. Should SOTN runners use a mod that forces all of these conditions to occur 100% all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Symphony of the Night has a faster route that nobody has been able to replicate in a run which depends on an incredibly unlikely meal ticket drop which then depends on the meal ticket randomly becoming a toadstool which then depends on the RNG damaging yourself in just the right way to make a jump. Should SOTN runners use a mod that forces all of these conditions to occur 100% all the time?

That's not start-scumming.