Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

deoju posted:

Could someone recommend me a good metallic gold spray paint and primer? :)

What are you going to be painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Funhilde posted:

What are you going to be painting?

A fiberglass helmet. From what I've read Rustoleum seems to be the best bet.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Commissar Canuck posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to weather a polyester flag? I'm planning on doing an NCR Ranger outfit next year and want to have a well worn NCR flag to go along with it

Take a medium grit sanding block to the edges, spray watered down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown) onto the surface, toss into a tumble dryer with no heat for a half hour.

deoju posted:

Could someone recommend me a good metallic gold spray paint and primer? :)

If the Krylon Supermaxx gold is as good as their silver, then I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Silhouette posted:

Take a medium grit sanding block to the edges, spray watered down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown) onto the surface, toss into a tumble dryer with no heat for a half hour.

Then just hang it in the sun for a few months since you have time.

I weathered some coveralls for a post-apoc costume a long while back that way, just left them on my deck for six months, rolling them over every few days when I thought about it. It really made the old bloodstains I was going for look good, because I could stain them in at full saturation, then get a natural fade like they'd been washed and worn a bunch since.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 10, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For gold I've always painted the primer coat, and then a bright red coat, and then the gold.

Use thin coats. Helps the color pop.

You can do the same thing with silver by using primer, then a black coat, then a silver coat (again, thin coats). Helps give the colors some depth to em.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Over the Halloween weekend, I took the Jack of Hearts rig out for a party. Bad news, I forgot to get any pictures. Good news, I ran away with the contest and won $500.

Here's a couple old pictures of the costume.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Hi you might remember me as 'that person with all the Jojo's' but I'm back with some Final Fantasy foolishness. My next project is going to be Balthier from FFXII--it's super involved but in a completely different way than my Jojo costumes. Much more traditional embroidery and tailoring, and much less metallic spandex going on. I really wanted to enter more costume contests but it's a bit hard finding male characters with interesting/complicated enough designs to go up against big intricate gowns--and that also aren't armor, since that's not my forte. But I think Balthier stands a chance!

So far I've made a good dent in it! First I drafted out his weird shirt and vest:

Then figured out and cleaned up all the embroidery/applique designs

Got a cuff done-hand guided machine embroidery with buttonhole thread to give it a more hand done look. Plus a little applique and couching. I had to make up a good deal of the detail here, it's not super clear in the model.

And now I've begun some work on the vest. Using a new interfacing called EZ-Steam and it's really excellent for this kind of detail work. It's double sided self adhesive so you can get everything stuck down and make sure it's in place, then fuse it all together. I marked out the edges of major motifs with basting stitches to help keep it all lined up too. Then just lots and lots of satin stitch. The top edge applique will be done when it's joined to the back so it can be one continuous piece

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Oh and I'm sorry to double post, but I realized after looking at my own posts in the thread I never actually posted my last Jojo cosplay here. Pannacotta Fugo is a man with a Swiss Cheese Suit and boy did it take a lot of experimentation to get a hole that was clean enough for my liking. A heavy ponte knit and a ring shaped facing on each hole turned out to be the answer.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I love all your work. Please never stop posting awesome crazy costumes. :allears:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have a Deathstroke helmet that I made a few years ago out of just simple craft foam. I'd like to touch it up and had some questions.

I was thinking of doing one of two things to make it better.

1) Cover the whole thing in plasti dip to smooth out some of the seams and irregularities. Possibly multiple layers. After curing, repaint it and then seal with a clear lacquer. This would be just a visual touch up.

2) Take the existing helmet and make a shell over it using fiberglass. Fiberglass has a few benefits, in that it would be a bit more realistic looking than foam and might present more options to customize. However, I have never worked with fiberglass before and I think the resin might react with the foam and melt it. Also, I'm super paranoid about using fiberglass because of potential health hazards (breathing in dust and the like). But that's pretty minor, and if I'm smart, wear a mask, sand smooth and seal, I don't think it will be a big deal.

But as is, the helmet is slightly tighter than I would like when putting it on, and fiberglass would be less flexible than the foam. So I was thinking of two things to help that.

2a) After the fiberglass is cured cut a square out of the back, and some slits around the hole and the removed material, so straps could be looped through and then tightened in the back, allowing for some freedom of adjustment. Or, similarly, have it be a two part helmet that would secure with clips of some sort.

2b) And this is the odder idea. Take my existing helmet, coat it with an even layer of molding silicone to increase the entire surface area a little bit, and then do the fiberglass on top of that.

So, tl:dr - Does anyone know if fiberglass resin would melt craft foam? Would the silicone option even work?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I don’t know for sure about the foam as it eats polyester well. If it’s not that they it’s probably fine but test on a small section first?

I would waste the silicone I would wrap the whole thing in loads of masking take and fibreglass on that. The your comfortable foam is a liner to the fibre glass. I would cuts some relief slits in it so it’s not so tight too :)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Polyester fiberglass resin doesn't generally attack EVA craft foam, but if I can ever find a reason to *not* use it, I'll go with something else. Stuff's just nasty on multiple levels. Epoxy or polyurethane resins, while still not totally healthsome without good ventilation and/or a respirator (isocyanates in both), are just more pleasant to work with.

If you don't want to use actual glass cloth, buy a roll of the cheapest paper towels you can find and use pieces of those instead. Years ago, I shored up some cardboard armor that my son had made, using some regular Smooth-On 300 casting resin and a 49-cent roll of paper towels. Even just a single layer was remarkably strong, and I didn't really put a lot of effort into doing a great job. Huge bonus of not having pokey glass fibers on the edges of everything too.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Hi you might remember me as 'that person with all the Jojo's' but I'm back with some Final Fantasy foolishness. My next project is going to be Balthier from FFXII--it's super involved but in a completely different way than my Jojo costumes. Much more traditional embroidery and tailoring, and much less metallic spandex going on. I really wanted to enter more costume contests but it's a bit hard finding male characters with interesting/complicated enough designs to go up against big intricate gowns--and that also aren't armor, since that's not my forte. But I think Balthier stands a chance!

So far I've made a good dent in it! First I drafted out his weird shirt and vest:

Then figured out and cleaned up all the embroidery/applique designs

Got a cuff done-hand guided machine embroidery with buttonhole thread to give it a more hand done look. Plus a little applique and couching. I had to make up a good deal of the detail here, it's not super clear in the model.

And now I've begun some work on the vest. Using a new interfacing called EZ-Steam and it's really excellent for this kind of detail work. It's double sided self adhesive so you can get everything stuck down and make sure it's in place, then fuse it all together. I marked out the edges of major motifs with basting stitches to help keep it all lined up too. Then just lots and lots of satin stitch. The top edge applique will be done when it's joined to the back so it can be one continuous piece

Oh my god I am screaming I love Balthier SO MUCH.

Also! I'm not super far in but my stupidy broken leg is finally FINALLY healed enough that I have started working on my Fire Emblem Eirika costume :woop: I'M BACK KIDS

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Acid Reflux posted:

Polyester fiberglass resin doesn't generally attack EVA craft foam, but if I can ever find a reason to *not* use it, I'll go with something else. Stuff's just nasty on multiple levels. Epoxy or polyurethane resins, while still not totally healthsome without good ventilation and/or a respirator (isocyanates in both), are just more pleasant to work with.

If you don't want to use actual glass cloth, buy a roll of the cheapest paper towels you can find and use pieces of those instead. Years ago, I shored up some cardboard armor that my son had made, using some regular Smooth-On 300 casting resin and a 49-cent roll of paper towels. Even just a single layer was remarkably strong, and I didn't really put a lot of effort into doing a great job. Huge bonus of not having pokey glass fibers on the edges of everything too.

Interesting. How did the paper towels in resin take to sanding and painting?

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

McPantserton posted:

Also! I'm not super far in but my stupidy broken leg is finally FINALLY healed enough that I have started working on my Fire Emblem Eirika costume :woop: I'M BACK KIDS

Holy shiiiiiiiiit! If only we could meet up somehow when I'm done my Ephraim, so I can feel bad about how much better your cosplay is next to mine!

I guess I could post my progress...

jmistajay fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 15, 2017

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Interesting. How did the paper towels in resin take to sanding and painting?

Pretty well! I wish I had pictures, but this was like 15 years ago. They were typical paper towels with the sort of bumpy embossed texture, but they flattened out with a little bit of coaxing. As I'm sitting here thinking about it, something un-textured like the blue or white paper shop towels you find at hardware/home improvement stores would probably work better. Anyway - as I said above, I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it since it was just something for my son to wear and play in, but I did sand the high spots off, and shot it with some automotive primer and then silver Krylon. It was reasonably smooth even with that minimal effort. I imagine someone taking their time could do a much better and cleaner job. :)

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 16, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

McPantserton posted:

He's Final Fantasy Han Solo, I can't ask for more (although it will be strange to be a character that isn't an enormous goof or shitheel for once) Just wish someone would be Fran with me, but none of my friends want to wear the tiny armor bikini for some reason??

One of my upcoming costumes is Fire Emblem too! I'm going to unravel the extremely improbable construction of Chrom's Stupid Onesie.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My figure is a lot more like Carrie Fisher's than like Laura Dern's, but I really want to do Admiral Holdo.

Am I right in thinking Arda's Josephine would be a solid basis for a Holdo wig? Is there something you'd recommend instead?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
e. ^^^I think Josephine would work fine, otherwise I'd probably go with Jane. and likely I'd pick between those 2 based on what color they came in that I liked better
e2. ok yeah the color you linked for Josephine is wayyyyyyyy better and that is what I would pick too. I love Arda's blended colors like that, I just ordered a similar one for Eirika in teal :D

Goldaline posted:

He's Final Fantasy Han Solo, I can't ask for more (although it will be strange to be a character that isn't an enormous goof or shitheel for once) Just wish someone would be Fran with me, but none of my friends want to wear the tiny armor bikini for some reason??

One of my upcoming costumes is Fire Emblem too! I'm going to unravel the extremely improbable construction of Chrom's Stupid Onesie.

Bahahah YESSS

Also! IT'S REALLY HAPPENING Eirika is actually in earnest begun!!

:woop: Still can't stand for *that* long but good lord it is so freaking awesome to be able to craft at all, plus this is my first big project in my new house which has an *actual workshop area*. I am so jazzed.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Vest is basically done! Just need the loops on the back.

I'm pretty happy with it, wish I'd brought the collar forward just a little bit more, but what can you do? The velvet wrinkles will probably press out but...honestly it looks kinda rumpled on the render too. Flaring at the bottom is to give myself some room for his giant stupid belts.

Any tips on places to start with his gun would be appreciated. I can sew up a storm but with props I'm ??? I thought briefly about making a stuffed gun...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Vest is basically done! Just need the loops on the back.

I'm pretty happy with it, wish I'd brought the collar forward just a little bit more, but what can you do? The velvet wrinkles will probably press out but...honestly it looks kinda rumpled on the render too. Flaring at the bottom is to give myself some room for his giant stupid belts.

Any tips on places to start with his gun would be appreciated. I can sew up a storm but with props I'm ??? I thought briefly about making a stuffed gun...

I am dying over how much I love and I'm super sleepy but I will cheerfully write up exactly how I would make his guns tomorrow. Most fantastic work here dude as always.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 22, 2017

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Goldaline posted:

Props are where I might be useful. Looking up some pictures his gun resembles a hunting rifle, but a little shorter and with the barrel held entirely within a wooden box.

If I were doing it I'd start with PVC pipe both for the barrel and for the general skeleton of the gun. I'd take a length of about 2-3 feet, cut off the last 6-7 inches and then reattach it with a 45 degree elbow joint, forming the barrel and handle at the same time. After that, I'd build the main part out of a combination EVA craft foam for softer/rounder parts, and high density pink foam for the blockier parts. When it comes to details, I think it depends on which of his guns you are going for. Some of them look like single shot musket style, where the one I saw looking at the figurine had a revolver style chamber.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I'm not sure if this is a topic for this thread, but I'm really curious. How do you goons who cosplay regularly afford this stuff? I've got things I've been wanting to make for years, but I'm just too drat poor to afford it. I'm assuming most of you just have regular disposable income, but maybe you guys actually figure a cosplay budget into your every day budgeting?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

neogeo0823 posted:

So I'm not sure if this is a topic for this thread, but I'm really curious. How do you goons who cosplay regularly afford this stuff? I've got things I've been wanting to make for years, but I'm just too drat poor to afford it. I'm assuming most of you just have regular disposable income, but maybe you guys actually figure a cosplay budget into your every day budgeting?

It depends what you're making. My cheapest costume was $34, my most expensive closer to $800. Spread over a year, $800 is not that bad for a hobby. But I do one costume a year. People who do more probably have a budget. Also, things like tools are an investment. So it may be $XX for a dremel or whatever, but you'll use it a ton going forward.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Coupons, sales, and convincing myself that all of the equipment I’m buying will be useful for future projects.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
You do notice a slight downward trend in cost of materials once you've already obtained the basic tools, since things like heat guns, hot glue guns, and paintbrushes can be used on multiple projects (sometimes for years) before getting worn out. You also become a much better judge of how much material you need, and have already acquired a heap of scraps to try out new patterns and methods before using the Good Stuff. This may be offset by challenging yourself to build increasingly ridiculous crap until multiple suits of armor have conquered all of your closets and your spouse openly hates you.

I'd say my cheapest costumes tend to run around $50 since they usually involve getting specific new shoes and a wig, but it is possible to recoup some costs by reselling them gently used in local cosplay buy/sell/trade groups. And if it's a popular but difficult costume (especially armor), you can make money selling copies of your patterns to friends who don't have the patience for pepakura or the skill to draft their own. It's still not profitable unless you're pro enough to do commissions like Volpin or model like Yaya Han, but if you're not interested in competing with handmade items then it's only as expensive as you want it to be.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

There are also tradeoffs between cost and quality - when I was in college I made a portal gun out of entirely things I scavenged from recycling bins, I only bought paint and glue. (and I got some blue and orange glow sticks from a friend to make it light up for photos.) It wasn't 100% accurate and it didn't hold up well, but it was what I could afford at the time. It's frustrating to try to look up the "right" way to do things and find out that it requires $70 of worbla just to get started, and so there were some costumes I decided I'd rather do "right" when I could afford it (if ever) and others that I was willing to scrape together from what I had or could get.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well... I'm on my way!

I'll be working on a proper hat this weekend, and stiffening the flares on those jodhpurs.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Sewed my hat today:

Tomorrow I'll iron things, polish my boots, and submit to the 501st.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Just an update on Balthier, I finished up the gun last night!

This was my first foray into foam prop building and boy, it was a learning experience! I'm pretty happy with the finished product though, even if it's a bit rough.

The costume is finished but for a final set of snaps and hopefully I will get some photos tonight!

(Edited to fix the pictures, sorry, a bit tricky on mobile)

Goldaline fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 10, 2018

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Sorry for the double post but here's the whole shebang. I'm having actual photos taken at Katsucon, these are just sorta boring turn arounds for my own reference. Please excuse my substandard hair and makeup...I started putting it all on at like 10pm last night, and it turns out it takes like 2 hours so I was a little frustrated/tired.

I finished Subaru from Tokyo Babylon for this convention as well but it's not as complex a costume.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That looks amazing. You did a fantastic job. Really well done.

Those shoes look a bit uncomfortable though, but probably a lot of that is the 2 feet of snow outside my window, so I'm projecting a little.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

CzarChasm posted:

That looks amazing. You did a fantastic job. Really well done.

Those shoes look a bit uncomfortable though, but probably a lot of that is the 2 feet of snow outside my window, so I'm projecting a little.

Thanks! They're honestly fine--other than being a little flat, so I'm sure my arches will hurt after a few hours. They're ugly as sin though and take a fiendishly long time to lace on.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I made a cosplay pistol prop, gunbelt, and display for a friend as a gift. I'm really happy with how it all came out.

I have a more detailed post about it on IMGUR here : https://imgur.com/gallery/UD78z

I will say that 3D Printing makes things really easy. My original plan was to start with a toy pistol and then scratchbuild / kitbash until I was happy with it. 3D Printing was so much easier and faster.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm always blown away by your gunleather. Outstanding work.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
So, the Mardi Gras society I'm a member of did "Sidekicks" as a theme this year, and I think I have my next con costume mostly ready:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Sup krewe buddy! Thanks to cosplay, I was the only person on my float prepared with a wig cap, a trimmed and styled wig, and contacts for the horrible mask we had this year. But my polyester awfulness isn't nearly as recyclable outside of Mardi Gras parties, attending parades, or maybe a Halloween costume. Work it!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

TunaSpleen posted:

Sup krewe buddy! Thanks to cosplay, I was the only person on my float prepared with a wig cap, a trimmed and styled wig, and contacts for the horrible mask we had this year. But my polyester awfulness isn't nearly as recyclable outside of Mardi Gras parties, attending parades, or maybe a Halloween costume. Work it!

I've got a closet that's slowly accumulating Mardi Gras costumes, really wish there were more uses for them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It is I, venturing in for my now-annual holy poo poo it's only HOW many days until UK Games Expo aaaaaah.

This time round I'm doing a star wars-themed costume of a character of my own design, a space pirate of some sort, with this adorable shoulder parrot robot:

I've just got started trying to reattach the cuffs on a martial arts suit I bought to be a donor shirt, I'm trying to do a sort of blousy pleat thing. I cannot sew. What the christ am I doing?

Is it actually possible to machine stitch a cuff onto a shirt (when the cuff is one solid ring without a button) or am I going to be better off hand-stitching it? I'm easy either way but my hand-stitching is poo poo-tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, it's possible; I did a similar thing when making a shirt from scratch and attaching the sleeves to the body. So long as you can slip the foot of the sewing machine into the cuff you should be to do so.