Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the physical thing also has batteries and bigger speakers but what i can't tell is:

if it charges the phone from its batteries or if its batteries are just for the alexa poo poo?
does the alexa poo poo work separate from the phone?
why?

this is clearly a stupid idea on all accounts but here’s what I imagine the “logic” here is:

marketing guy at moto: people love Alexa, look at how many echos are being sold. we make hardware, we should sell Alexa products.

lawyer: google doesn’t allow shipping a different assistant than the unnamed google one on android phones.

marketing: but what if we like, just installed the app?

engineer: it won’t be always listening, you’d have to launch the app to use it.

marketing: no, we have to talk to Alexa all the time. figure out a way to do it.

engineer: well, I suppose if we had a discrete device...

marketing: like an alexa speaker, for your phone.

lawyer: works for me

engineer: isn’t that just a wireless echo?

marketing: imagine using Alexa in an elevator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

only you can launch your phone with multiple assistants

or did you and everyone else forget bixby?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for samsungmoji on the galaxy s9

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

LastInLine posted:

did you and everyone else forget bixby?

yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah i was gonna say that google apparently has no problem with oems installing competing assistants. idk if that means you can install one from the play store, which seems unlikely given how deeply integrated they should be. the best i can figure is amazon doesn't want to work with moto to install it on the software

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

yeah i was gonna say that google apparently has no problem with oems installing competing assistants. idk if that means you can install one from the play store, which seems unlikely given how deeply integrated they should be. the best i can figure is amazon doesn't want to work with moto to install it on the software

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...taACI7VzgLcgopo

You can set the default assistant app through settings as well. That being said I dunno if it is always listening or if you'd have to launch it by long pressing the home button

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

marketing: imagine using Alexa in an elevator

that those advertising people are still employed is a shame

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

only you can launch your phone with multiple assistants

or did you and everyone else forget bixby?

did samsung finally remember to launch it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

did samsung finally remember to launch it?

they launched it, hard-coded it to a button press, then made it so you can't make google assistant use the button press

also they gamified it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

remember how weird amazon was about the fire, they really really don't like not controlling distribution.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Midjack posted:

remember how weird amazon was about the fire, they really really don't like not controlling distribution.

i am pretty sure that googles grip on what you can and can't do is a lot more subtle but restrictive than the internet idea of it suggests

in fact, samsung being able to get away with something is likely a very uninformative sign, because they have invested a lot of money into having a lovely alternative to every google service, and are, after all, the top android oem. there is more leverage there than for many others

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
as lovely as tizen is it still scares google

(no joke i was excited about tizen until i learned it’s run by the enlightenment dude)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

as lovely as tizen is it still scares google

(no joke i was excited about tizen until i learned it’s run by the enlightenment dude)

this is probably true, samsung could if they felt the need no doubt drag people onto tizen. more immediately though samsung is clearly always standing prepared to discard the google services and instead run an aosp android amazon-style, if google oversteps. all their homebuilt replacement stuff for the apps is sort of lovely, but most of googles stuff is as well (maps is the trickiest bit), and it'd mean tthat point google neither gets paid nor has any say in what samsung does from there on out

samsung is certainly big enough that they could get anything of value on the google play store into a samsung store if that was the only way to run on the next series of galaxies

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

samsung is certainly big enough that they could get anything of value on the google play store into a samsung store if that was the only way to run on the next series of galaxies

yeah porting zero apps wouldn’t be a problem

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is tizen locked completely out of the google api / app world or is it treated like ios?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

is tizen locked completely out of the google api / app world or is it treated like ios?

tizen tvs have a youtube app, so i guess it's treated like ios?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Samsung has a lot of leverage with google. their biggest strength is being able to push competing features like Samsung pay, but also alternate browsers and accounts. they can tell google that a new feature won’t be supported on their devices, particularly if it requires some hardware. they also never adopted android for wearables (lol), their TVs don’t support chrome cast, etc.

it turns out open, free OS that always beats closed, proprietary walled gardens can also end up in an effective Samsung Qualcomm monopoly.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
this purports to be a minion version of the android mascot:

e: fixed - i'm an idiot

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 16, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

this purports to be a minion version of the android mascot:

lol nice leeching

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

lol nice leeching

what’s the weather like in 2004?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Management posted:

what’s the weather like in 2004?

significantly colder on average

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there is something severely broken in bullguy's brain

bull3964 posted:

My phone is my only communication device, I like to have more than one on hand in case my primary device breaks. It doesn't make sense to keep my old phone anymore to do that since flagships retain value fine.

Plus, it's nice to have around the house as a Chromecast source.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good news everyone, another messaging payment app from google

google wallet android pay google pay.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
?? i though google pay was already a thing

who the gently caress is branding this poo poo? it's like microsoft all over again

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

infernal machines posted:

?? i though google pay was already a thing

who the gently caress is branding this poo poo? it's like microsoft all over again

maybe they should switch over to bitcoin, more retailers will accept it at this point

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I discovered that it's actually faster to use Android pay at Trader Joe's than to use the chip reader

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

atomicthumbs posted:

I discovered that it's actually faster to use Android pay at Trader Joe's than to use the chip reader

Why would you ever put yourself in a situation where you would have to learn this?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Why would you ever put yourself in a situation where you would have to learn this?

:science:!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Willful use of Anroid is a predictor of further self-harm.

:ohdear:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Willful use of Anroid is a predictor of further self-harm.

:ohdear:

i got in and out fast. i was one of the lucky ones...

never again.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

yeah basically suica > Apple Pay > maybe android pay? idk > stripe > cash > chip

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i tried to use android pay a few times and it would demand i unlock my already unlocked device and then beep a few times and ask me to put it against the reader a few more times

i just went back to using the chip

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Apple pay is like the only thing I use my work phone for, lol

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Schadenboner posted:

the pos terminal had an android pay icon on it and I wanted to see if it actually worked

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

the pos android

checks out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

the pos terminal had an android pay icon on it and I wanted to see if it actually worked

it was definitely a terminal pos

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

it was definitely a terminal pos

dsyp

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Celexi posted:

So after android split the payment part of Google wallet into its separate app android pay, they have now decided to put it back together again and rename it "google pay".
But you apparently still need both apps installed for it to launch, if you launch the standalone ones it tells you to open google pay instead.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my favorite iteration of the sega genesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reminder: that exists so that you can use your phone's screen as a touchpad to mouse around your android desktop