Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finally saw Mune. It was ok. It was unpolished in places, had some annoying elements, and had some rather glaring plot cul-de-sacs (the fact that what’s his face got corrupted is dropped like a stone about halfway through the movie) but for the price of entry (free) it wasn’t a bad watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, there might be some legitimate tragedy behind the death of the mom-and-pop shop at the hands of the omnipresent megacorporation, but that's not really the direction they went.

That said, I did feel the required sympathy for the town, though it had to grow on me as it did with McQueen. I suppose that's why I like the Cars movies while a lot of people just bounce off of them. (Doesn't really explain why I liked the second Cars movie, since that one was quite the misstep, but...)

Going back to TGD, I woke up this morning still feeling kind of numb from it. Talked it over with some friends on LINE, which helped. Comparisons with Brave came up a lot, which reminds me that I haven't seen Brave since seeing it in theaters in 2012, yet don't really feel compelled to amend this fact.

I'm definitely going to have to agree with the film feeling weirdly empty. If the asteroid didn't kill all the dinosaurs off, and now the dinosaurs are smart enough to do agriculture, it's strange how there's no society present. Reading the TVTropes page indicates that the film underwent a lot of development troubles, even having to change directors at least once, and that one of the casualties of all the revisions was downsizing the opening setting from an entire Amish community of farming dinosaurs to literally just Papa/Henry, Mama/Ida, Libby, Buck and Arlo in the middle of nowhere. Even then, they had a perfect opportunity to establish more of a community with the watering hole (after all, the entire concept for Zootopia sprung out of the development team witnessing a real-life watering hole in practice), but then the film conveniently has Arlo discover his family's mountain en route to said watering hole, removing any need to spend time and money developing designs for more dinosaurs and models thereof have him head there, so they get away only implying there would've been a community there to show off. It's a little silly.

I am wondering if the numbness I was feeling is coming from just how abruptly that film ends; he reaches his family once more, immediately gets to make his mark next to his parents', and roll credits. I guess more isn't really needed, but I kind of wish there could've been just a tad bit more to firmly establish how the whole ordeal changed Arlo's life on the farm, not merely imply he'll be A-OK. As it is, there's barely enough time to rebound from Arlo and Spot going their separate ways a mere scene earlier. (Either this, or the numbness just came from how wistful that music was making me feel; it was very melancholic, to be fair...)

On that note, Pixar's getting maybe a little too good at tugging at my heartstrings, I'm beginning to feel like. Their earliest films didn't do it quite as frequently - Toy Story 2 had elements of it with Jessie's song, but otherwise, it sorta feels like every film post-Cars 2 has leaned very heavily on it (though admittedly Finding Dory made me feel more tears of joy than sorrow). Still, I feel like it was handled better with, say, Coco than it was with TGD, given great-grandma Coco passing still had the heartwarming angle of her getting to see her long-lost father once more, while there's not really a similar angle with Arlo's family; they're only ever shown as struggling once Papa/Henry gets swept up in the flash flood, and I can't decide if Arlo's hallucination of Jesus-Papa/Henry helps affirm that he's moved on, or merely twists the knife a bit, but at least lets Arlo know Jesus-Papa/Henry's proud of his character growth regardless.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SirDrone posted:

So all in all we can tie Good Dinsoaur and A Bugs Life in the category of Mediocre pixar movies, because I hate Cars 2 with a passion.

Cars 2 is a fine movie for kids which puts it ahead of the first if nothing else. Like it's a bunch of frenetic colorful setpieces and dumb jokes, even with the weird subplot about alternative energy and the old cars running everything it's more watchable than plodding baby boomer nostalgia.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Cars definitely felt like everyone was supposed to latch on the tragedy of route 66 and the death of the small town and the passing of the old ways for newer younger better things that would not learn from their past. But it felt like the whole movie was super built on the idea that everyone starting out collectively felt real sad about route 66 and that that was a touchstone for the audience already.

The narrative I've seen surrounding the movie was that since there was a very good chance Cars would be the last movie Pixar made under Disney Lasseter just decided to be completely self-indulgent with it and since he's a huge gearhead with that exact type of nostalgia a movie that was originally conceived as being yet another classic Pixar wacky misfit story about an electric car living in a world of regular cars became Doc Hollywood.

Then again I felt the same way about Inside Out having that weird indulgent paternalistic overtone of a guy making a movie dealing with the fact that his daughter is a real human being with feelings and no longer His Little Girl but that ship sailed long ago.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, there might be some legitimate tragedy behind the death of the mom-and-pop shop at the hands of the omnipresent megacorporation, but that's not really the direction they went.

It's not that though, it's the real life route 66 and the tragedy of it. Like there used to be a road winding through the US that held a lot of small towns that lived off tourism. But eventually highways came in and no one took the old road anymore and the towns withered away. And the highway is much newer and better in every way but something got lost.

And the message of the movie isn't really that the old elderly racer car is just as fast as lightning is, lighting is legitimately much faster, but he doesn't have any heart until he is forced to return to the old town and learn from it.

Like the whole message and setting was like "there is new and better stuff, but don't forget the old stuff had something to offer too and don't abandon everything about it moving forward"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I liked everything with the spy stuff in Cars 2, and even Mater wasn't too bad integrated into it with doing this whole "The man who knew too little" thing with him in the middle of all this spy stuff. But EVERYTHING to do with Lightning felt completely pointless and the more I think about Cars 2 the more I think that the actual problem with the movie was him, not even Mater.

Also people way overstated how bad the "torture" scene was.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think you're too focused on Flik as an individual. It's true that we inhabit his point of view for most of the runtime, but A Bug's Life isn't the story of his failure and eventual redemption, it's a story of the downtrodden realising their own potential and rising up against their oppressors. The ants can only triumph because everyone learns a lesson: Flik that he can't do it alone, the queen that she needs to have more faith in her subjects, and the circus performers that there are causes worth dying for.

That's also why I disagree with the assertion that Hopper is too threatening. If he was just a schoolyard bully, the return of Flik and the other insects loses its emotional weight. It's their conscious decision to risk their lives for the well-being of others that transforms them into the heroes they've claimed to be all along.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Macaluso posted:

Also people way overstated how bad the "torture" scene was.

There even being a body count in cars 2 was pretty surprising. That it's so high and that one of the deaths is someone being tortured to death was pretty unexpected to people going in. I don't think the torture in cars 2 ranks very high on the absolute scale of all tortures put on screen but no one saw that coming that there was going to be any torture murders in a cars movie.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Put me down as someone who didnt like Cars 1 because the appeal to Route 66 immediately made me dislike it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Barudak posted:

Put me down as someone who didnt like Cars 1 because the appeal to Route 66 immediately made me dislike it.

Yeah, they really leaned hard on that and it just isn't anything for any of the audience. Like the author writing for himself can work but it just felt like such a random odd bit of nostalgia for a whole movie.

The Cozy Cone Motel's design is based on the two Wigwam Motels along Route 66, in Holbrook, Arizona and Rialto, California. These were once two out of seven built motels, with individual cabins shaped like teepees. Three Wigwam Motels remain; the third (and oldest) is in Cave City, Kentucky, far from Route 66. The recently restored Tee Pee Motel in Wharton, Texas, south of Houston, is of similar design but unrelated. The name "Cozy Cone" was inspired by the Cozy Dog Drive-In of Springfield, Illinois, which lays claim to being birthplace of the corn dog.
The character "Fillmore", referring to the famous San Francisco music venue The Fillmore, was at one time to be named "Waldmire" after Bob Waldmire, a self-proclaimed hippie artist known to Rt. 66 fans for his detailed pen-and-ink maps and postcards of the route. Though Waldmire's family owns the Cozy Dog Drive-In, Bob, having since become a vegan, preferred not to see his name put on a character that would become a McDonald's Happy Meal toy.[6]
Ramone's House of Body Art is based primarily on the U-Drop Inn in Shamrock, Texas. It opened in 1936 as Tower Conoco (from its distinctive Art Deco spire) with the U-Drop Inn Cafe and a retail building attached. Many other establishments built along Route 66 in its heyday had Art Deco elements that might be reflected in the design of Ramone's.
The mountain is Tucumcari Mountain in Tucumcari, New Mexico with the hand-painted 'T' replaced by 'RS' for Radiator Springs. The neon "100% Refrigerated Air" on the Cozy Cone motel is a reference to the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari.
Lizzie's Curio Shop in Radiator Springs resembles the Route 66 jumble of memorabilia and knick-knacks at Hackberry General Store in Hackberry, Arizona and the Sand Hills Curiosity Shop, aka the City Meat Market building in Erick, Oklahoma. The yellow billboard for Lizzie's Curio Shop reading "HERE IT IS" with an image of a Model T is based on the Jack Rabbit Trading Post signage in Joseph City, Arizona.
Sheriff is voiced by Michael Wallis, an American historian and author of Route 66: The Mother Road.
The characters "Flo" and "Sally" are based on Fran Houser of the Midpoint Café[7] and Dawn Welch of the Rock Café[8] respectively.
The bridge that McQueen sees Sally driving on resembles several bridges on Route 66, including the Cyrus Avery Route 66 Memorial Bridge in Tulsa, the Colorado Street Bridge in Pasadena, California, and the now-closed bridge over Diablo Canyon at Two Guns, Arizona.
The character Tex Dinoco isn't a Route 66 resident, but was inspired by the Cadillacs horns at The Big Texan Steak Ranch.
Part of the inspiration for Mater was Dean Walker of the Route 66 Association, he is known as the "Crazy Backwards Walker", he can be able to twist his feet and walk backwards, another inspiration for Mater was the 1951 tow truck, now owned by CARS on the ROUTE.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Purely anecdotal, but the only reason I hate Cars is the young son of a friend I hung out with would watch that movie on loop over and over and over and over and over while we played Pathfinder.

Holy hell have I seen that movie to many time peripherally.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as anecdotal Cars stories go, when we went to go see Cars at the movie theater, there was a building-wide black-out in the middle of the short prior to the film, and we wound up having to get coupons for free showings of the same film at a later date (which we did use, without any similar issue the second time around).

Also, this makes me realize that I didn't watch any short on the Good Dinosaur Blu-Ray. Was there even one present to be watched?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think you're too focused on Flik as an individual. It's true that we inhabit his point of view for most of the runtime, but A Bug's Life isn't the story of his failure and eventual redemption, it's a story of the downtrodden realising their own potential and rising up against their oppressors. The ants can only triumph because everyone learns a lesson: Flik that he can't do it alone, the queen that she needs to have more faith in her subjects, and the circus performers that there are causes worth dying for.

That's also why I disagree with the assertion that Hopper is too threatening. If he was just a schoolyard bully, the return of Flik and the other insects loses its emotional weight. It's their conscious decision to risk their lives for the well-being of others that transforms them into the heroes they've claimed to be all along.

... Hm! This is actually a really good reading that solves a lot of the problems I have with it. Of course, now I wish that it had banged that drum a little stronger in order to add the cohesion it needed; as it is, it feels like a collection of characters (most of whom are admittedly strong) reenacting a famous movie. But I suppose that would have smacked too much of the dreaded Bolshevism that wasn't really in vogue then.

Now explain Cars in a way I can get behind :v: (All right, I admit that a lot of my dislike towards that series stems from the existence of curio shops in that world, which, how does that even work? Do they put the tchotchkes in their trunk? But how do they take them out? They don't have hands! ... I might be too literal minded.)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

It always bothered me in Cars near the end of the movie when McQueen was going back to the big race he gets some things from everybody in Route 66 that will help him in it.

He gets wheels from the car shop, new body art from Ramone, some stickers from Lizzie etc.

But then when he visits the Military cars place hes getting...night vision goggles? he never used them, what is the point of that scene?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pixeltendo posted:

But then when he visits the Military cars place hes getting...night vision goggles? he never used them, what is the point of that scene?

Don't tell me you don't have random poo poo in your car trunk just in case you need it.

I liked Cars, but I also liked Doc Hollywood and the Route 66 aesthetic, despite not having any real nostalgia for it. But I guess it just reminds me of road trips I took with my family back in a my youth.

I also really like Edward Ruscha's Standard Station painting and the New Topographics so maybe I just like the aesthetic of things in the middle of nowhere.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I realized I haven't seen the last few Pixar releases. Co-workers used to always organize group trips to them but lately interest has dropped off, even though Pixar used to be a holy grail to animators.

New teaser for Incredibles looks good though, I'll probably watch that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkIFypsG4Q

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Oh man, complaining about “new math” in 2018? Like I guess incredible is set in the 50s or 60s but geez, thanks for the jokes grandpa

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ccs posted:

I realized I haven't seen the last few Pixar releases. Co-workers used to always organize group trips to them but lately interest has dropped off, even though Pixar used to be a holy grail to animators.

New teaser for Incredibles looks good though, I'll probably watch that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkIFypsG4Q

Um I hope I'm not alone in thinking this looks loving incredible? (Uh no pun intended). First I think it's interesting they appear to be starting off literally right where the last movie ends. Secondly, almost none of that trailer was actual superhero stuff, besides the thing with Elastagirl (and that's like. Barely) and Jack Jack's powers he doesn't have full control of. The rest of it was like... focused 100% on the family stuff and not at all on the superhero stuff. And it TOTALLY works for me. I'm so much more excited by this than trying to do something bigger with a new supervillain

edit: Also wow does the animation look leaps and bounds better than the first one. Like drat

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 15, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ugh that video is from a spam channel that puts overlays and bullshit on there.

Official Disney-Pixar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpdL9hSac4

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Ugh that video is from a spam channel that puts overlays and bullshit on there.

Official Disney-Pixar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpdL9hSac4
Was just about to post this exact thing.

Knew something was iffy with the low-quality video, but the "Like this video! Subscribe to us!" didn't help, and then I noticed the watermark on top of all that poo poo and, like, sod off

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Bob Odenkirk is the cherry on top of that.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

kefkafloyd posted:

Bob Odenkirk is the cherry on top of that.

Apparently going full Saul Goodman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Purely anecdotal, but the only reason I hate Cars is the young son of a friend I hung out with would watch that movie on loop over and over and over and over and over while we played Pathfinder.

Holy hell have I seen that movie to many time peripherally.

Same but it was on loop on a TV at Sears when I worked there one year.

The next year it would be Alvin and the Chipmunks. :suicide:

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mune was really great. Fantastic art design and an interesting world. I like that the day/night people were sort of an extrovert/introvert or hot/cold split, depicting both good versions of those personalities as well as corrupted versions.

I didn't realize english was an option until the end credits had all the english voice actors. Flicking through the english dub I think they are both alright, except French Sohone is way better. English Necross is a bit better, but french sohone for sure makes french version the winner.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In honor of that Incredibles 2 trailer, here's an excellent breakdown of the cinematography of the first film:

http://floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-1.html

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Oh man, complaining about “new math” in 2018? Like I guess incredible is set in the 50s or 60s but geez, thanks for the jokes grandpa

He's complaining about Common Core in 2018 and since most of Bob's jokes look to be about parenting in Current Year Argument you're going to see a lot of jokes aimed at parents.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Not Keyser Soze posted:

He's complaining about Common Core in 2018 and since most of Bob's jokes look to be about parenting in Current Year Argument you're going to see a lot of jokes aimed at parents.

Gotta give the people who were convinced The Incredibles was Randian something new to misinterpret, I guess.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Guy Mann posted:

Gotta give the people who were convinced The Incredibles was Randian something new to misinterpret, I guess.

In that reading's defense Brad Bird does have a habit of like, getting most of the way through the box of Objectivist Cookies before apparently feeling guilty and making the Exceptional Successful People face-heel turn, become tyrants or learn a lesson about following the rules.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly they've been loving with how to do math every ten years or so - I remember having issues with some method in high school (about 2001 or so) and my very math-whiz and high-strung mother tearing her hair out over it because it made no sense to her. We both knew what answer the questions were wanting, but could not get the proposed method to work - long division worked, but only got half-credit since we didn't do it the 'right way'.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think what I’ve seen of common core is good and complaining about the government ruining math is silly, but I can completely empathize with parents that find themselves totally unable to help their kids with what can be a pretty challenging subject.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah I think what I’ve seen of common core is good and complaining about the government ruining math is silly, but I can completely empathize with parents that find themselves totally unable to help their kids with what can be a pretty challenging subject.

Agreed, I'm hoping people have enough self-awareness that what they take away from that joke is that the status quo they long for was itself once the scary new thing their own parents grumbled about.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually watched some YouTube videos explaining it to see what it Common Core was all about and while it was somewhat different than how I learned math there were some parts that probably would have helped me learn it better, and none of it was particularly difficult to follow.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I should look up the common core method for long division sometime because I hate long division.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pigbuster posted:

IMO "empathizing with parents" who are trying to do their kids' homework for them is actually the shittiest part of this whole thing. The methods Common Core teaches are good, but a seriously underrated advantage to them is that the parents don't know how to do them and so they can't help. Surprise! Your kids actually have to learn how to do math on their own! They actually have to pay attention in class! Wealthy parents acting as unpaid tutors for their kids is a huge contributing factor to intergenerational poverty; it's a really easy-to-underestimate effect. Changing the methods that are taught gives the edge to kids who understand the lessons in class, and takes away the edge from kids who slack off and need their parents to explain things to them later. It's actually really clever but they probably couldn't get away with saying it because about half the country hates the poor.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

21 Muns posted:

IMO "empathizing with parents" who are trying to do their kids' homework for them is actually the shittiest part of this whole thing. The methods Common Core teaches are good, but a seriously underrated advantage to them is that the parents don't know how to do them and so they can't help. Surprise! Your kids actually have to learn how to do math on their own! They actually have to pay attention in class! Wealthy parents acting as unpaid tutors for their kids is a huge contributing factor to intergenerational poverty; it's a really easy-to-underestimate effect. Changing the methods that are taught gives the edge to kids who understand the lessons in class, and takes away the edge from kids who slack off and need their parents to explain things to them later. It's actually really clever but they probably couldn't get away with saying it because about half the country hates the poor.

Dude. What? Seriously, WHAT?

I *wished* my parents could help me with math, as all my schools wanted to do is outright tell us the answer to the WASL. And knowing how to pass a ridiculous state assessment test does fuckall to actually knowing math. The one class that wasn't like that? The teacher basically checked out, while letting three-four boys literally scream lines from American Pie at each other without doing a thing to make them stop.

Also this is a ridiculous 'dang kids are too lazy to learn', when maybe... maybe part of the issue is the teachers that genuinely want to teach are going to flock to the schools that pay better, leaving the ones who are teaching as back up in the poorer schools.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 20, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

21 Muns posted:

So children who need help learning math should have one of the most widely available and most beneficial sources of that help confounded -- to stick it to the wealthy?

Can you walk me though your train of thought here?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Math sucks and I never use like FOIL and like half of algebra or whatever the gently caress dumb poo poo in my every day life, so also my math teachers were liars about that too. I don't remember a single way to solve like a fraction equation or the algebra questions where all the numbers were replaced with letters. Just gimme my paycheck and I let my cards to the rest!!!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

Dude. What? Seriously, WHAT?

I *wished* my parents could help me with math, as all my schools wanted to do is outright tell us the answer to the WASL. And knowing how to pass a ridiculous state assessment test does fuckall to actually knowing math. The one class that wasn't like that? The teacher basically checked out, while letting three-four boys literally scream lines from American Pie at each other without doing a thing to make them stop.

Also this is a ridiculous 'dang kids are too lazy to learn', when maybe... maybe part of the issue is the teachers that genuinely want to teach are going to flock to the schools that pay better, leaving the ones who are teaching as back up in the poorer schools.

I completely agree that equal funding of all schools is an important goal, and did not intend to imply otherwise. But I think CCSS is an important step towards that goal; it drives towards something similar by decoupling the parent's skill from the child's. Even with disparate funding between schools, at least all the students *in* a class have the same teacher - Common Core takes the would-be "teachers" at home out of the equation.

Schwarzwald posted:

So children who need help learning math should have one of the most widely available and most beneficial sources of that help confounded -- to stick it to the wealthy?

Can you walk me though your train of thought here?

If children who need help learning math can't find that help in their school, then the school needs to look into that and probably needs better funding.

TL;DR: the new Incredibles trailer sucks (unless it's setting up a joke about how Bob is a lovely dad for trying to do his son's homework for him, which it isn't, because Disney is a deeply fascist conservative company when you get down to it).

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

21 Muns posted:

Wealthy parents acting as unpaid tutors for their kids is a huge contributing factor to intergenerational poverty; it's a really easy-to-underestimate effect.

This is an utterly ridiculous claim and requires serious scholarly citation.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

How are you getting 'Bob is doing Dash's homework for him'? It feels clear he's trying to teach Dash how to use the instructions to get to the answer, but he can't understand the method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpqS62PfzQ

Derail over please