Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It appears that IKEA does in fact have exactly the type of tabletop I'm looking for, a ~60x30x3/4 slab of treated bamboo. That's quite handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just embrace what you’re trying to do and buy a door, the knob hole makes a handy cord cubby #lifehack

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just embrace what you’re trying to do and buy a door, the knob hole makes a handy cord cubby #lifehack

:thunk:

oh man that would mean a solid core door those are expensive as gently caress

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The tabletop store.

Edit: beaten

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

dadchat: Where can I obtain a tabletop? Meaning a rectangular, 2 foot by 4-6 foot, half inch to three quarters piece of pretreated, prestained wood? If I wasn't in an apartment and actually had proper tools I would just get the thing myself.

My idea is to make a new, very solid desk using a tabletop and two filing cabinets for the legs. If I were still in Connecticut I knew a few mom and pop stores I could get it from, but down here I have no idea.

I suppose I could also just buy a kitchen table that has the requirements that I want and just frankenstein it.

This is exactly what people do: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29047257/

Ikea even officially advertises it now I guess. There are a bunch of tabletops/kitchen countertops they sell (some better than others) that you can use for it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
You could get a door blank that hasn’t been drilled yet!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am going to get http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90305723/ which is just basically a slab of bamboo that's almost exactly the dimensions I wanted. I'm going to drill some holes in it and mount it on top of two very solid filing cabinets with some bolts, and get two VESA mounts for my monitors. The idea was that I wanted something that was extremely solid and actually able to be disassembled, with more desk space than what I have right now. My current desk is a holdover from like 2007, was purchased from Office Depot for like 90 dollars, and is falling apart from being moved twice as it was never made to be disassembled ever.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
See if there is an architectural wrecking yard somewhere near you. Often they'll save nice pieces of wood that they find during demolitions, and if they don't have any on hand one of the employees will know exactly where you can get what you need

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
also habitat for humanity can have some decent stuff

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Be sure to check the dumpsters near your apartment complex, too. Ask some of the vagrants in your area if they've seen anything nice get thrown out lately.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I am going to get http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90305723/ which is just basically a slab of bamboo that's almost exactly the dimensions I wanted. I'm going to drill some holes in it and mount it on top of two very solid filing cabinets with some bolts, and get two VESA mounts for my monitors. The idea was that I wanted something that was extremely solid and actually able to be disassembled, with more desk space than what I have right now. My current desk is a holdover from like 2007, was purchased from Office Depot for like 90 dollars, and is falling apart from being moved twice as it was never made to be disassembled ever.

Just be careful about the monitor mounts. Some of the Ikea tabletops are made of really flimsy material (if you drill into them). I was looking into it and there are a few solid wood models from Ikea that should be fine to use a monitor arm on.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vasudus posted:

:thunk:

oh man that would mean a solid core door those are expensive as gently caress

It might not seem that way, but this post is america.txt as gently caress

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My dad was a carpenter for nearly 45 years and made all sorts of cool stuff out of wood that he collected from jobs, my parents house was full of it. I don't have the room, the skills, or the tools to do anything like he did, but I can try.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you should build one instead of buying one, I was referring to the fact that doors in the US are almost exclusively the trashiest poo poo I've seen in my life. Especially in residential buildings, I'd see a staggering disparity between building quality and the quality of the doors. Some poo poo would straight up be painted sheets of plywood with corrugated cardboard in the middle, and it broke my brain.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah, we don't use solid core doors here very much. There's a huge price difference. My parents house was full of them, every place I've rented from is basically wood colored tissue paper glued together.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you should build one instead of buying one, I was referring to the fact that doors in the US are almost exclusively the trashiest poo poo I've seen in my life. Especially in residential buildings, I'd see a staggering disparity between building quality and the quality of the doors. Some poo poo would straight up be painted sheets of plywood with corrugated cardboard in the middle, and it broke my brain.

I feel kinda the same way about door handles in Europe (Italy anyways), it's like the same cheap feeling poo poo they used on all our plywood buildings in Iraq.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Whoever it was that mentioned using African purple heart wood (SpongeBob?) can go gently caress themselves. I had almost purged the memories of running an orbital sander until it felt like my hands were going to liquefy, just to get that poo poo down one grit of paper.

I can't decide if I like walnut or cherry better, both have an almost holographic depth effect to the shimmer in the grain if you stain and finish them right. Cherry has a definite, distinct smell to it when you're sanding it down that's almost... sweet?

gently caress I'm gonna end up spending a bazillion dollars after I get a real boy place on tools rebuilding the kind of wood shop my dad had.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Whoever it was that mentioned using African purple heart wood (SpongeBob?) can go gently caress themselves. I had almost purged the memories of running an orbital sander until it felt like my hands were going to liquefy, just to get that poo poo down one grit of paper.

Lol. Yeah, purple heart is a nightmare to work with. Never built anything with it becauase I didn't want to kill a saw blade per cut. That poo poo's dense.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol. Yeah, purple heart is a nightmare to work with. Never built anything with it becauase I didn't want to kill a saw blade per cut. That poo poo's dense.

I had somebody ask me if I could build something for them out of ironwood once, a coffee table or some random poo poo like that. I gave them an itemized estimate for like a full week of labor, multiple sets of replacement blades and bits, a crate of sandpaper, and contingencies for if the loving thing burned out my tools.

gently caress. THAT.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I’ve always wanted to learn wood working. Not nearly the location for it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Slim Pickens posted:

I feel kinda the same way about door handles in Europe (Italy anyways), it's like the same cheap feeling poo poo they used on all our plywood buildings in Iraq.

OTOH, locks and doors in Germany are ridiculously sturdy. Why do doors lock from the inside with a key that you can remove (locking yourself into the apartment if you lose the key) :wtf:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This. Go to a Habitat for Humanity ReStore (there's one in Alexandria)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

DoktorLoken posted:

OTOH, locks and doors in Germany are ridiculously sturdy. Why do doors lock from the inside with a key that you can remove (locking yourself into the apartment if you lose the key) :wtf:

This happened to my wife. It was a weird conversation. It also happened to a SNCO in a restroom. That was a weirder conversation. To be fair, the key broke in that instance.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Soulex posted:

I’ve always wanted to learn wood working. Not nearly the location for it.

I'm looking forward to moving into a place with a porch. Gonna be a rain of sawdust if I get this 3rd floor place I'm looking at. I have just enough to furnish for one in a studio right now.

I need to build a dresser, night stand, coffee table, tv stand, and probably a trash can holder.

All gonna be pallet wood or stray pine from work.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could bring Hearst back from the dead just so he could see all the tacky poo poo they did to his hacienda. It looks like they drew this mural with a fat tip Sharpie

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWEXRAnQd0

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Black Panther was good as hell

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I'm halfway through The Darkest Hour, and I just found out that I've been watching Gary Oldman perform the entire time.

Holy gently caress.

:stare:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Black Panther was good as hell

I really enjoyed it a lot, my favorite of the character introduction movies so far. Ant Man is a close second.

Also the beat for Michael B. Jordan's character was dope as hell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfSP6mnHO8q/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the new chris rock stand up is pretty good

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I really enjoyed it a lot, my favorite of the character introduction movies so far. Ant Man is a close second.

Also the beat for Michael B. Jordan's character was dope as hell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfSP6mnHO8q/

Michael B. Jordan is insanely talented. Whoever discovered him for The Wire basically found the next iteration of Denzel Washington.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Getting new washer/dryer today and of course the cold water valve is broke. Calling in a plumbing favor for this :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Getting new washer/dryer today and of course the cold water valve is broke. Calling in a plumbing favor for this :(

pussy. this is dad chat. you can't fix a broken pipe? you need to up your dad game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You might think "I don't have the proper tools." which is probably correct, however, this means a trip to your hardware store and new tools for you. This is a dad holiday and you want to pay a guy emergency hours rates for a broken pipe? C'mon!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

You need a pvc pipe, a small pipe saw, a butt connector, and some pvc cement. $20 at home depot will have you covered.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

a butt connector

Heh

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You need a pvc pipe, a small pipe saw, a butt connector, and some pvc cement. $20 at home depot will have you covered.

I am the butt connector

e: goddamnit

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hehehe. Butts.

DAMNIT MAN, THIS IS NO TIME FOR JOKES, A MANS' COLD WATER SUPPLY TO HIS LAUNDRY IS AT STAKE!

But really, it's a five minute fix and after the cement sets (couple hours to a day), permanent. Pvc loving sucks as it ages.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i got a haircut and called a plumber who owed me a favor. lol gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

i got a haircut and called a plumber who owed me a favor. lol gently caress that

i bet you paid extra for w/d installation.